Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.
These are the old Sega Mandates that seem relevant to the new IDW comic. Do you think they all still apply?

Based on the comic so far.
Slashed out ones are ones that don't seem to apply anymore
Underlined ones are debatable.

quote:

1. Sega-specific original characters were not permitted familial relationships unless already established (like Cream the Rabbit and Vanilla the Rabbit) with some limited exceptions (eg. Charles Hedgehog). ACP-exclusive characters (Sally, Rotor, Bunnie, Antoine) were permitted however.

2. Content from certain games were not permissible:
    • Metal Overlord from Sonic Heroes.
    • Black Doom from Shadow the Hedgehog.
    • All characters and content (with the exception of original Sega characters) from Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood.

3. Archie Comics Publishing were forbidden to reference Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie, Sonic Underground or Sonic X unless granted specific permission from Sega Incorporated.

4. ACP was forbidden from using the character Doctor Eggman Nega unless specifically granted permission from Sega Incorporated.

5. Sonic's home planet was no longer permitted to be referred to as “Mobius”, be it Light, Dark, Prime or otherwise.

6. Only one Metal Sonic was permitted for appearance but no multiples.

7. Sonic was not allowed to “lose”. He could be 'put down' and experience hardship but was not allowed to completely 'fail'.

8. Main and/or significant characters were forbidden in forming intimate or love-relationships. ACP-exclusive characters were permitted however (Bunnie and Antoine) but not with Sega's characters (Sonic the Hedgehog and Sally Acorn).

9. Original Sega characters were to conform and stay conformed to their modern designs as of Sonic the Hedgehog #71. None were allowed to change or modify their existing wardrobe or wear any different wardrobe at all, regardless of the story context.

10. Sega-exclusive characters could not be "killed-off". Whilst Archie-exclusive characters were not mentioned in this mandate, it remains unclear whether this rule may applied to them also.

11. Sonic and Sega-exclusive characters were not allowed to show excessive emotion.

An example of established-requirement of censorship of emotion from Sonic the Hedgehog #166 (left: original, right: current)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I feel like what the book needs to do once all this is said and done is to take a break from doing long term stories and go in a more episodic direction for a while, with stories that are like 1-4 issues long, occasionally planting the seeds for the next big long term story

I'm hoping once this arc is over they do a Silver series. I really love idw Silver and it be cool to see his future, life, and relationships get fleshed out since no one has ever bothered to do a version of his future that isnt ruined.

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.

Onmi posted:

the mandates came about as a direct response for what happened in the comics before, due to Penders, Bollers, and Archie as a whole. To ask them to remove them, would be to go "Yeah yeah just trust things will be fine again, just because the last time you let them have free reign, you wound up with an utter shitshow of a comic that was damaging the brand. And then you got involved in several lawsuits. You definitely don't need to care."

Of all the things Sega is being, stupid isn't one of them with having a strict list of "poo poo you aren't allowed to do." After the last time. Yes, it may have been different people that trashed the house, but if it were you, you'd keep the rules on them anyway, because you've seen how bad it can get.

When you compare every other comic franchise when a series goes down hill changing the creative team and having good communication is all you really need. The mandates were a backlash for sure but now they are just holding their content back instead of protecting it. I love Sega but they are kind of dumb with very all or nothing ideas. Sonic 06 was a huge disaster because of horrible deadlines, a tiny team, splitting that team, moving up release to an anniversary date, losing the head of sonic team, etc. Just a ton of reasons why the game failed, but when it failed Sega was just like "Welp i guess people don't like sonic games like Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 anymore" and since then they haven't done a serious plot and all their 3D games use the horrible boost system. Its a shame and not to get to into Sega as game company, but if they could just get over things when they fumble they would probably still be a big time console company and not just a 3rd party right now.

Give creators freedom and control, but just have some oversight of the project to make sure things dont go off the rails. It doesn't need to be so all or nothing. If they wont trust IDW then I don't see why they even bothered signing with them and leaving archie.

And lawsuits wouldnt really be an issue without the mandate since 2011 Sega has had a firm grip on all copy rights of any characters/stories from any of their spin off media instead of allowing idw, archie, or technicolor to own anything. They just licenses out the right for them to create content with their IP for limited times.

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.

drrockso20 posted:

I think we can all agree that SEGA should have died years ago, almost any company would handle it's IP's better than them

Also what games, it's been several years since Mania and Forces came out and not counting the newest one of those Olympic Games crossovers with Mario*, we haven't heard a peep from SEGA about the next game in the franchise, like I think this might be the longest the franchise has gone without there either being a newly released game or one that's been publicly announced to be in development

*honestly it's weird that they've been doing those games for the better part of a decade now and yet they still haven't tried doing a more conventional crossover between Mario and Sonic(not counting Smash)

Nah they're still being morons, besides the comics have honestly been really lovely at being advertisements for the games basically their entire existence, often because SEGA wouldn't allow Archie, Fleetway, or IDW to do it right

Well to be fair they were about to announce the next sonic game, but the outbreak caused South by Southwest 2020 to be canceled so they had to reschedule their accountant. It was pushed back to this month, but its hard to say if that will still happen or in what format it will be revealed. I wonder if they would try a Sega Direct kind of thing.

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.
I'm also hoping that since they are using the mobians have their own world, and humans have their own world concept from sonic x.

They should do a storyline that takes place between sonic unleashed and sonic colors where it shows sonic and friends going from earth back to mobius. Because I'd like some clairifaction about the events of SA, Sonic Battle, SA2, Sonic 06, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Unleashed. I think it be really lame if they removed Maria and Gerald Robotnik from shadows history in this contunity, and having a story that explains them being on earth for a while from sonic adventure 1 up till sonic unleashed would be nice since humans were important to those games storylines.

Maybe thet went to earth to get the chaos emerald that some how got sent there, and they manged to get there by warping angel island there to explain how chaos and the master emerald would be on earth for sonic adventure 1.

Oof I'm getting all fan fictiony now.

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.

TwoPair posted:

True but then it's hard to get him with the rest of the cast, plus "avoiding my ruined future" is basically as central to Silver's character as "Gotta protect my emerowd!" is to Knuckles'.

Yeah but he is still protecting the same thing. Saving the future is just saving/protecting his own world from his point of view so if it wasn't in ruins he would still strive to protect it in the same way. Though i find it more likely something will happen to just make it so he cant go back to his own time for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel compelled to post this here. I haven't read IDW Sonic, I'm sure it's fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4lKmXz0j7Q

So this youtuber Lowart made a THREE HOUR long video essay about reading Archie Sonic, and it was interesting just to relive some of it and see the series I remembered through fresh eyes.

Of course, he only really covers it around up to Robotnik's return in 1998, which I think I only managed to regularly follow the comic some time around then, so for most of the earlier stuff I only had scattered issues, so a lot of the stories and conclusions he's drawing from the early comic I'm more discovering for the first time. I feel like there's an extra mystique you often get when you only read parts of a story instead of the whole, both from imagining more of the world that might be out there and also from the fact that some writers aren't very good and are better in moderation.

I only had one issue of the "endgame" arc, and I had no idea how weak the overall story was, but I did think it was cool that Sonic had the whole trick with throwing some dirt into the air and running on it to get away from the cops.

It's funny; I watched that video earlier this week and it's actually what lead me back to this thread after being off the site for quiet a while. Good watch.