Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it felt really "meh" to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Agent Rush posted:

As for the mini, I just think this first issue doesn't bring anything new compared to the Tangle & Whisper story from the annual earlier this year which I enjoyed.

Bingo, for the first few pages I thought they were reprinting the annual story (look I don't have perfect recall okay) and was confused until later. I still enjoyed it, just waiting on that "new" feel though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

They generally try to do 4 issue arcs. Also I have no issue with this plot it's been fun so far.

:agreed:

Always down for a good zombie attack story. Although I think it might be more interesting if Sonic did get turned and everyone else had to fight him for a change. I guess they kiiiind of did that with Shadow but eh.

Plus I think it's clear at this point that if this arc's dragging, it's only so they can basically reintroduce every Sonic character into the new world that hadn't already been introduced.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 9, 2019

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I don't know why anyone would subject themselves to that but I salute them.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEzXFuYN89k&t=76s

I can't decide if this is charming or lame as poo poo. Maybe both?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Agent Rush posted:

Yeah it's super charming, what are you on about?

I found it charming when he did it with the Sonic Heroes soundtrack in the Metal Sonic arc but I find it a little hokey/pandering here. But clearly others like it, to each their own I suppose.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
No, this whole thing is going to end with Eggman figuring out a cure out of pure spite when he gets overthrown.

Or, since I presume we're headed to Angel Island soon, emerowd magic

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well there certainly ain't much lower for them to go aside from actually killing someone

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Perpetual Motion posted:

So, #25 is out today.

There is no way that even if they succeed in incapacitating the Zeti (in a near suicidal "split up and hit them all at once" maneuver, at that) that attempting to just rewrite reality to fix things won't completely gently caress something up incredibly bad.

But when has rewriting reality ever failed Sonic in the past? :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Agent Rush posted:

Hey, that would have gone fine if Eggman could have accepted his loss like Wiley did!

Just read the new issue, it's a pretty good build-up! Does anyone know who the Zombot next to Big the Cat is supposed to be? I think I recognize all the others, but if anyone wants to post a full list I'd appreciate that anyway.

From left to right: Vector, Charmy, Jewel (Tangle's friend from her mini/the one she had trapped in the box last issue), Big, Tangle, Vanilla (Cream's mom, flanked by two random Chao (I don't think Cheese or Chocola got infected but I can't remember and they weren't with Cream this issue so maybe it's them?)), rando townie, Shadow, and two other randos.

I don't think the other shadows are anyone but hey who knows

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Simsmagic posted:

I have faith that the writing team can handle the Deadly Six better than Lost Worlds did, if nothing else.

I mean, talk about a low bar to jump

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Right now the biggest thing hurting the brand/franchise right now is Sega's games, am I right? :downsrim: heyooooooo I'll be here all week folks

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Also what games, it's been several years since Mania and Forces came out and not counting the newest one of those Olympic Games crossovers with Mario*, we haven't heard a peep from SEGA about the next game in the franchise, like I think this might be the longest the franchise has gone without there either being a newly released game or one that's been publicly announced to be in development

I was more kidding about the Sonic games in general and their increasingly mediocre quality. I haven't actually played Forces but I haven't heard anyone be like "wow this is great!" more just "well it's fun to make the goofiest OC possible." Also it's worth noting that Mania wasn't really made by Sega at all and it's probably the best thing to happen to the franchise since, what Generations probably?

But I digress

Tuxedo Mask posted:

I'm hoping once this arc is over they do a Silver series. I really love idw Silver and it be cool to see his future, life, and relationships get fleshed out since no one has ever bothered to do a version of his future that isnt ruined.

True but then it's hard to get him with the rest of the cast, plus "avoiding my ruined future" is basically as central to Silver's character as "Gotta protect my emerowd!" is to Knuckles'.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It makes me think of some Netflix series that could've been much better with a few less episodes. You could've taken several issues out and come out with a tighter, overall better story

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I liked the issue but on the page with all the characters, Team Chaotix needs to be listed as "They're detectives you want on your side"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I know it's a laser gun but I got a kick out of Eggman just pulling out a loving gun to shoot at everyone when the mech started failing. Also poor Gemerl just cannot get a win, huh?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Agent Rush posted:

Yeah, it's nice to see the characters do some low-key stuff rather than the usual world-threatening crisis.

Also, Rouge's White Park outfit is amazing! :swoon:

Yeah I like any time they get an excuse to dress up the characters. It's really good/usually pretty funny with the characters who don't normally wear clothes outside of shoes and gloves

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

As best as I can tell, Sega simply does not want the cast to be characters. It wants them to be icons a la Sanrio.

I mean to an extent it makes sense. The comics are essentially a monthly ad for the games, and since the games (will almost certainly) never really gonna have the characters undergo much change, they probably don't want the comics to do anything different either.

I don't like it, but I understand Sega's POV. Plus I imagine after the Penders poo poo, Sega probably has them on a tight leash.

drrockso20 posted:

Or to put it another way Sega are morons and always have been

That too, certainly.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm always impressed by how the comic can work something so minor from the games like the freakin Sonic Heroes powerups of all things and make them plot relevant

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Agent Rush posted:

The new issue of the main book dropped today. It finishes the Chao Races and Badnik Bases arc, all told it's pretty satisfying! They're leaning pretty hard on Belle's creator being Mr. Tinker, to the point I'd be surprised if it turned out to be someone else.

Oh poo poo I didn't catch that. That would be pretty great though.

It's kinda weird that no one seemed to react to Starline having superpowers all of a sudden other than "dang he got away"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"Sonic Learns to Drive" sounds like the greatest thing possible. Better have somebody (Knuckles?) to act as the Piccolo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I do not mind Belle but her clown nose is loving ridiculous and stands out like a... well, like a clown nose. As though it's a photoshop edit someone made as a joke for a /co/ thread or something

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mah emmerowwds

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I misread Fastest Thing Alive as Fastest Man Alive for a second and thought "what the gently caress how does the Flash cross over in a Sonic prequel?"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I'm glad somebody's saying out loud what I've been saying since it started (Colors I think?), even if it's a villain saying it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The Chaotix being stuck in traffic is a great gag. I'm sure Vector having a gator-car is probably canon from a racing game I haven't played but if it's made for this issue I find it just :discourse:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Belle's story was sad but honestly I just still cannot get past that clown nose.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
lol for a minute I missed the Penders in the tweet and thought "poo poo they're gonna bring him back and let him smoke in the IDW books? drat, that's wild."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Scourge Comic died. Creators could not handle the backlash.

:geno: I'm shocked.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Huh this is the first time I heard there was a new game. An open world Sonic sounds like a bad idea. But hey I'm happy to be proven wrong.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think the start is hurt by it having to be both a reintroduction to the whole universe but also kinda assume you already know Sonic and his whole schtick? Like, I feel like if IDW/Flynn really wanted to they could have brought it all back to Sonic 1 and Sega would've been okay with it, but also they're smart enough to know that's not what people want, especially when it's replacing a comic* that has every character in the games plus 100+ OCs Do Not Steal.

They wanted to get Knuckles and Shadow and everybody from a game post-1992 in already without doing dozens upon dozens of issues to recap/retell every game's story so they just started from the most recent one at the time (Forces) and built from there while having to adjust to all of Sega's tight new rules (like yes his name is Sonic it's not a nickname, nobody has parents how about you shut up, say Mobius again I dare you I double dare you motherfucker say Mobius again, etc.)

*yes, calling it a "replacement" isn't really fair since there was a nearly 2 year gap between one's end and the other's launch but that's just inevitably gonna be the way a lot of people see it.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 12, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Reading the recap/character pages of Imposter Syndrome, I only just realized that they have Kit listed as having a full name and a nickname (Kitsunami "Kit") just like Miles "Tails" Prower. It's a cute nod to how Tails is Kit's template. Kit doesn't get a last name though, poor lil' fella.

That last cover is pretty fuckin cool I gotta hand it to them

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 12, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ninjewtsu posted:

"The previous 2 games are canon" is the sonic rule that does the best balance of having some continuity while also not letting that constrain the story too much, imo

I would just add "Sonic Adventure 2 is somehow always canon" because Shadow keeps showing up.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh interesting thing from Flynn this was the end of Starline, barring fans begging for his return this issue was his death

Pfft. No body no death, I've been in this game too long to accept otherwise. I gotta say seeing Eggman dismantle him was fun though. It's nice to see him actually be a threat from time to time instead of, well, modern Eggman.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ConanThe3rd posted:

Man twitter is downright toxic.

And the 250 characer, 0 depth tirates about Sonic's character in reaction to #50 are not helping.

Who would've thought that Sonic fans could be so crazy? :imunfunny:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm not checking but I'm guessing they think he should be more torn up about Surge apparently but totally not dying in front of him

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Screaming Idiot posted:

I like when the cartoon hedgehog runs really fast and eats chili dogs and the fat guy gets angry at him.

:yeah:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Breadallelogram posted:

Bring Penders back if you want Sonic to kill his enemies.

The answer to the question what's a monkey's paw where everyone loses?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Skeleton King posted:

I really liked seeing this comic continue the tradition of Eggman actually being surprisingly agile. The guy can throw hands, he's got moves.

Well of course. Dude's faster than Sonic after all... :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3s_kU4Y7yI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Not sure how many people are keeping up with the comic but issue 53 is out and I loved everything in it. I am so genuinely fascinated with how Kit is being handled and I'm curious to how they'll play it out as it's not something I've really seen in a comic aimed at well, this target audience.

The line of "I need him. He can use me too." is just so hauntingly hosed up.

I want that poor boy to get some help but unfortunately I do not think it's in the cards any time soon.