Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
Heard about this thread a week ago and although I'm always a few months behind on the series because I don't like physical comics I caught up just so I could comment.

I love these comics. I don't read any other comics so I have no context for what's normal but drat they hit right for me. I was a regular reader of the Archie series but I have very little love for them up until Ian took over and even then there was a lot of cruft that in retrospect I'm glad they ditched with the move to IDW. Still, RIP Nicole and Shard (among others)...

Anyway, I saw a lot of criticism of the metal virus arc earlier in the thread and I didn't feel the same way at all. In fact, it was the metal virus arc that got me hooked. It never dragged for me and both Tangle's sacrifice and, in particular, Cream's were absolutely heartbreaking. I never cared about Cream before IDW but she's such a little badass now. I dunno, I just never find myself thinking about things like mandates from sega and the reality that the heroes obviously have to win eventually when I'm reading it. I find it easy to care about these characters even if things are always going to work out in the end.

I don't have much to say about the other arcs up until the Surge/Kit arc which also kicks rear end. I'm loving what they're doing with Kit. It seems a bit heavy for a Sonic comic, dealing with that much mental trauma and dependence, but it's working and I hope he ends up in a good place eventually.

#50 had some absolutely fantastic lines, from "this shouldn't take long" and the "maybe I spoke too fast" sequence, to the "did he... hurt you?" admission. That entire issue felt like watching a movie what with the scene switches back and forth between the different fights. The pacing was excellent. I also thought the part where Tails tries to befriend Kit had some seriously great panels. Like Kit taking pride in his gear before retreating back into his shell, the pose when Tails says it took a long time to get used to having two tails, and the red line through Kit's eye when he says he doesn't need any friends.

If I have anything negative to say it's that the dialog and plot sometimes seem a bit forced. Like Sonic and Tails just immediately drive at the core of Surge and Kit's trauma even though they should have no idea what's really going on. It pulls me out of the story a little and comes across as kind of cheesy but it's easy enough to overlook - maybe I'm being too forgiving and wouldn't do the same for another property! I don't think it would be any better if they dragged it out though. I'd rather they keep the pacing as is.

I also didn't particularly like Starline but his end was satisfying enough.

Enjoy this clever little edit from reddit:

Check out how they gave Kit a droplet shaped patch on his chest - also pretty clever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
This is Archie related but I figure this is the right place.

Archie was in the middle of reprinting all their Sonic issues in graphic novel format when they lost the license. They had a couple different runs started so as a result a bunch of comics are only available as individual issues or as digital downloads and the runs are somewhat scattershot. Specifically, looking at the Ian Flynn era only, they had these in the main series:

Sonic Saga Series Volumes 1-7 (issues 162-194)
Sonic: Genesis (issues 226-229)
Worlds Collide (issues 248-251)
Sonic the Hedgehog Volumes 1-4 (issues 252-267)
Worlds Unite 1 (issue 273)
Worlds Unite 2 (issue 274)

and these in the Universe series:

Sonic Universe Volumes 1-8 (issues 1-32)
Worlds Collide (issues 51-54)
Worlds Unite 1 (issue 76)
Worlds Unite 2 (issue 77)

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Archie_Comics%27_Sonic_the_Hedgehog_publications

I've always been a bit disappointed that they never finished these runs because I much prefer graphic novels. I even toyed with the idea of getting my comics bound into hardcovers but balked at the effort required to do it nicely.

So I was pretty surprised when I came across these eBay listings a few weeks ago:

"Sonic Saga Series Volume 8" (issues 195-218) https://www.ebay.com/itm/235482906496
"Sonic the Hedgehog Volume 5" (issues 268-272 and 276-291) https://www.ebay.com/itm/235480751348

They're bootlegs. I immediately snapped up a copy of each and now that I have them I can report that they seem pretty well made. The print quality isn't 100% up to that of the originals (it's slightly desaturated and a little fuzzy and the paper isn't glossy) but it's very good and extremely readable. Check out the pics and videos in the listings for a better idea.

I got in touch with the seller and they're planning to continue filling in the gaps starting with the rest of the main series then moving on to Universe. They're currently sold out of one of the books but they do say they're willing to print more if there's demand so if this is something that interests you go ahead and send them a message.

EDIT 2024/04/04: They just added another one:

"Sonic Saga Series Volume 9" (issues 219-225 and 230-247) https://www.ebay.com/itm/235506307748

acetcx fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 4, 2024

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
I'm going to be super sad if another Sonic series gets cancelled. I really enjoy the current run and all the new characters. Sigh.