Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Digital it was just a decent intro comic and I was not expecting much more from the 1st issue. Which is also why I am glad April is weekly for the comic.

Also the art is really nice.

Yeah, this was very much a "This is the current status quo don't worry about things too much" comic. A quick introduction for who Sonic is, who Tails is and how they interact as well as the current setting (Post Forces)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm not very familiar with Sonic Forces and that's honestly just as well. But interestingly, it seems like the Forces status quo is basically a take on SatAM with more room for self-inserts; Eggman's forces have pretty much conquered the world and the remaining free critter folks are fighting guerrilla warfare against the robot forces, though it seems after this Eggman is AWOL and the decapitated robot army is more or less wandering around aimlessly and probably ripe for whatever new villain comes along to take control. Basically could be almost post-finale SatAM.

Eggman finds the Phantom Ruby from the Classic world which he can use to create an infinite army and he winds up giving it to a Jackal mercenary who was trying to kill him because he kicked his rear end. Then they mass produced it, beat up Sonic tortured him for 9 months or whatever, Knuckles forms the Resistance, they fight, your OC fistbumps sonic a lot, Classic Sonic is... there... and then you beat up Eggman, defeat infinite, and Classic goes home.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

This was a wonderful issue

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Amy seems to have borrowed some from her Boom incarnation; being more mature and responsible than Sonic himself cares to be.

Ian's always written her like that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I've heard that writing wise Fleetway was better than Archie in general during that specific period.

That wasn't hard. Fleetway Comics were still... weird...

Also Sonic is a total loving rear end in a top hat

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Android Blues posted:

2000 AD veteran Richard Elson's art on Sonic the Comic was often really gorgeous.

Plenty of other artists were doing great work there, too. Nigel Dobbyn, another 2000 AD alum, inked, coloured and drew the Knuckles serial for a few years and produced some really lovely work.

STC definitely had some odd art at times, but when its lead artists were on, they were really on. I think the art quality was miles ahead of Archie.

STC definitely had some beautiful spreads, but the main issue Archie struggled with during that time was, besides Spaz, no one seemed to... understand the anatomy of a sonic character. If that puts it best. They didn't seem to get how to draw these designs moving and spin dashing and whatever. Or even standing to be honest. I think the current crop of artists that were working on the comic/have been snapped up by IDW understand it perfectly well though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Kurui Reiten posted:

Fleetway always looked like that, really. The art was basically done well in terms of quality and such, but character designs were very much hit or miss. Not the Archie was much better; it seems that most of the artists who tried to draw the Sonic comics in the UK or the US were more familiar with Looney Tunes styles, and thus you got a lot of that.

Yeah by the time the Ian era rolled in the artists went from "People who have no idea what a sonic character is" to "People who drew sonic characters growing up" basically. Not that those people DIDN'T exist before Dawn Best was perfectly fine at drawing Sonic characters, it's just she was drawing them when Penders was head writer and he couldn't help but... touch up... her art.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think they can use Bean, Bark and Nack. They were even referenced back in issue 3. Sonic compared Rough and Tumble to the Hooligans. their group name in the Archie comics.

Honestly, don't rule out anyone appearing period, things change a lot.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

I can, because it's awesome and the only logical choice for cheesy banter.

Also Ian loves referencing songs and the like in his work, hence why a few issues ago, Sonic said "I never fear the fall" in reference to His World

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Agent Rush posted:

Yeah, it's cool to see the new villains get more characterization.

I wonder if Starline is playing Eggman for his own game or if he'll end up being the flunky who's more competent than his boss.

Knowing Ian, he always loves playing to the idea the other villains know more than Eggman, before showcasing why Eggman is the main bad guy.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

Even drawn by a proper artist, it's still sort of horrifying.

There is no saving that design from looking like a monstrosity.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Arbite posted:

Was the third issue of Sonic Megadrive finished and unpublished or how far along was it?

The third issue was published, it was the final issue that was the casualty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Again see my point about SEGA being morons

the mandates came about as a direct response for what happened in the comics before, due to Penders, Bollers, and Archie as a whole. To ask them to remove them, would be to go "Yeah yeah just trust things will be fine again, just because the last time you let them have free reign, you wound up with an utter shitshow of a comic that was damaging the brand. And then you got involved in several lawsuits. You definitely don't need to care."

Of all the things Sega is being, stupid isn't one of them with having a strict list of "poo poo you aren't allowed to do." After the last time. Yes, it may have been different people that trashed the house, but if it were you, you'd keep the rules on them anyway, because you've seen how bad it can get.