Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The posters in the old Archie thread agreed we needed a new one, so here it is. This thread title was the one everyone liked the most. Personally, I would have gone with "No Copyright Infringement in the Universe Can Stop Him".

From the ashes of the Archie Sonic comic's cancellation, a new series by IDW comics is here, with... well, most of the same people who have been making Sonic comics for the past decade, being written primarily by Ian Flynn and including such veteran artists as Adam Bryce Thomas, Tyson Hesse, Jennifer Hernandez, and many others. The comic does not follow the original Archie comics continuity OR the reboot that occurred later in the book's life, but instead is set primarily in a universe highly similar to (but not the same) as the one from the games. Set after the events of Sonic Forces, Sonic is wandering around, playing hero as he always has. Meanwhile, Dr. Eggman is mysteriously nowhere to be found and a new force is seemingly taking control of his badnik army...

Important Details
    The comic will release four issues every week in April, before going to a monthly schedule in the months following.
    Regarding such characters such as the Freedom Fighters, "the door is not closed", but they want the first year to focus on the game characters and new ones created for the comic.
    The book is, for now, focused on Modern Sonic and related characters, with such characters as Mighty the Armadillo and Ray the Squirrel, considered the domain of Sonic's Classic incarnation.
    The comic will use the "two worlds" canon that has apparently been the case all along in the games, with Sonic and his friends being native to one world and humans being native to another. Ian Flynn has reportedly said that he hopes to explain how this all shakes out properly.

The Who

Heroes

Sonic the Hedgehog

Fresh off the events of Forces, Sonic is eager to get back to his life of carefree adventure and free agent superheroics. But with Eggman's badniks seemingly becoming organized again, Sonic may find himself drawn back to working with the Resistance.

Miles "Tails" Prower

Sonic's best friend and partner, Tails reunites with Sonic during a badnik attack. More involved in the action than the game that precedes this comic's events, Tails both worries for Sonic's safety and is determined that events like what occurred to him beforehand don't repeat.

The Resistance

A veritable group of "freedom fighters", the Resistance included a number of Sonic's friends, such as Amy Rose, Knuckles the Echidna, the Chaotix, and more. After helping free the world from Eggman's control, they're still active, fighting the remnants of Eggman's army, and are sure to get involved in Sonic's further adventures. I also don't have an easy picture to use for most of them, so they get this blanket description!

Sonic Forces may have forgotten her, but Ian Flynn hasn't!

Tangle the Lemur

A new character created for the IDW comics, Tangle is a ring-tailed lemur who fights by using her tail as if it were a third arm. Described as "scrappy" and "loving to tangle with the bad guys".

Villains

Dr. Eggman

The man with the master plan. Sonic's greatest nemesis, Eggman disappeared mysteriously with the destruction of his war machine at the end of Sonic Forces. But wherever he may be now, one thing is for certain: you can't keep a good mad scientist down for long.

Rough and the Tumble

Two skunk brothers created to be antagonists for the comics, who are "more bullies than masterminds". Tumble is apparently missing part of his tail.

Out Now

quote:

Sonic the Hedgehog #1
SONIC'S RACING INTO A NEW ADVENTURE! After defeating the evil Dr. Eggman's latest plot, Sonic is racing around the world to shut down the robotic Badnik forces that are still attacking villages. But it's a big job for one hedgehog-even Sonic! Fortunately, he'll have some help from his best friend: Tails!
Released April 4th, 2018.

Upcoming Issues

quote:

Sonic the Hedgehog #2
Sonic’s new adventure continues, and when he comes across another town in need of saving, his old pal Amy arrives just in time to join the fight! The banter is fun, and the stakes are high, but things get really serious when Amy presents Sonic with a big request: rejoin the Resistance!
Released April 11th, 2018

quote:

Sonic the Hedgehog #3
Sonic and Knuckles team up, and it's just like old times-until two new villains show up. With a group of villagers under attack, will even the combined forces of these two heroes be enough to take down Rough and Tumble???
Released April 18th, 2018

quote:

Sonic the Hedgehog #4
Sonic comes across a town under attack from the biggest Badnik force he's ever seen. Luckily, help is on the way from his old friend Blaze, as well as a new hero! Get ready for the debut of Tangle!
Released April 25th, 2018

quote:

Sonic the Hedgehog #5
“The Fate of Dr. Eggman,” Part 1. After his last battle with Sonic, Dr. Eggman’s gone quiet. His Badnik forces are still causing trouble, but without the bad doctor’s usual fanfare. What’s Eggman been doing all this time? And what will happen to Sonic when he finds out?
Released May 30th, 2018

quote:

Sonic the Hedgehog #6
“The Fate of Dr. Eggman,” Part 2. Dr. Eggman has been located, but Sonic’s not the only one to find him! When Shadow comes, whose side will Sonic be on?!?
Released June, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's perfectly appropriate. Ian Flynn's stuff is always accessible and never gets heavier than a saturday morning cartoon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Eh.

It's nothing harder than stuff from Justice League Unlimited, which was still a kids' show at the end of the day.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

JLU was very much not an exception - Teen Titans, the 4Kids TMNT show, all had similar content. And you need more than the basic premise of the Matrix to make something truly “messed up”. I mean hell Sonic Adventure 2 has a girl being gunned down off screen by a paramilitary organization.

What’s messed up is stuff like Penders appropriating a Holocaust poem. For everything else, people need to stop acting like whenever the Sonic comic gets heavier than an episode of the Super Friends it’s suddenly gotten too weird.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ken Penders stuff has no bearing on IDW. Let the guy fade away and leave him to his own terrible devices.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's really jarring how a lot of the supporting cast of StC turned increasingly human-like. I don't think StC really got the anatomy of Sonic characters who weren't in the games either.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Like why is Porker twice the size of Knuckles when he started out as one of the tiny animals you freed from badniks?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Dammit Shadow, you never take Rouge anywhere nice. It's always "go here, murder this person." Never dancing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That was pretty great. I always enjoy when Metal Sonic gets to be an actual character.

And yeah, everyone's angry that they can't use Metal, Ray, Bean, Bark, and Nack. Which, is, yanno, Sega's prerogative. If they're gonna treat Classic Sonic as his own sub franchise then it makes sense to give him his own cast of characters.

This isn't even ruling them getting a chance to appear in the comics. What if Sega gives permission to do a Classic story later down the line? Just wait and things will be worth it, I say.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 25, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Huh? Oh, no. Sorry. That was a typo. I meant Mighty. Metal is obviously fine.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fun fact: Finitevus was not the first example of a villainous white-furred echidna scientist.

As shown here:

the fancy threads, tiny glasses, and choice in jewelry are more Finitevus than Zachary.

Also Starline being a monotreme is pretty good evidence it's intentional.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This is the IDW Sonic thread, not one for The Lara-su Chronicles or the Archie comic.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Guys. Come on, take it to the Sonic general in the game’s forum. This isn’t about the Archie comic or Penders.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It was cool finally seeing the Babylon Rogues, and that they have more scruples than they did in Archie.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Penders stuff always eclipses actual discussion of the comic. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to avoid that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No ones telling you you can’t. But there’s places where it’s more relevant and doesn’t derail or overshadow the actual subject of the topic.

IDW isn’t the comic Penders worked for. Take it elsewhere.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I can tell when the overall opinion is against me, so I'll drop it. But I am a bit disappointed.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Penders was also going to have Eggman out Rotor in the present day, and Sonic would reject him as a friend, which is so out of character it makes my teeth hurt.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

Notably Charmy got stuck in one and came out literally retarded, in a really hamfisted way to reconcile their version(who was a teenager) with Sega's version(who is like 6), at least until they retconned everything after the second Mega Man crossover

come on, please don't use that word.

But regardless, Ian said he shouldn't have done it that way and that what he had happen to Charmy was a mistake.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Starline is the Frank Grimes of Sonic the Hedgehog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Im using this as a sign to take all of IDW as Sega canon in general.