Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

drrockso20 posted:

Except maybe the parts when he took over involving the Egg Grapes, those things were hosed up by regular comics standards, let alone something meant for kids like a Sonic The Hedgehog comic is

The Egg Grapes weren't a Flynn creation though, they first appeared in the Bollers written Return to Angel Island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

holy poo poo was Adam Bryce Thomas' art in issue 2 great. I wasn't that big of a fan of his archie stuff (unlike most people) because while it was really impressive on a technical level it often felt kinda stiff. But that's no longer an issue with his stuff at IDW, very energetic.

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 12, 2018

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

drrockso20 posted:

I've heard good things about that version of Amy, although whenever I've looked up anything Fleetway related, the art is just almost universally mediocre

I've heard that writing wise Fleetway was better than Archie in general during that specific period.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/AdamBryceThomas/status/984546677926309888

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

The art this issue (different colorist, artist doing their own inks) felt a bit Fan Comic-ish (like a decent fan comic but still), but if this as low art wise as IDW goes (and honestly it's not even bad, just weaker than before) then we're in good shape

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Mikedawson posted:

Well, several members of the staff have worked on fan comics in the past, so that's not too far off. Flynn and Stanley come to mind.

I'm talking more about Heather Breckel's colors more than anything else: Stanley's fancomic doesn't even look like a fan comic anymore it's so nice looking

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

there's something hilarious about that last page with eggman, even in context

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

the answer to the question only those who payed attention to the solicits asked
https://twitter.com/Jamal_Peppers/status/1010007008739840000

also the covers for issue 6 are great
https://twitter.com/IDWPublishing/status/1009103617226395648

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Speaking of things that look cool
https://twitter.com/Mana_Books_/status/1052959770674651138

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

New issue is out and okay that's just finitiveus

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well he looks different. He may act different once we see more of him as well.

I'm not saying that as some sort of indictment, just that I find it funny how uncanny the resemblance is

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

So how about that Team Sonic Racing one-off from a few weeks back, eh?

In other news

https://twitter.com/IDWPublishing/status/1075798271715610625

https://twitter.com/IDW_David_M/status/1075830416303484928

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/sonicstadium/status/1088855741753106432

Also Diana Skelly's here to stay, doing the art for issue 16

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

Issue 13 came out way quicker then I thought.

well it was only delayed 2 weeks, compared to issue 12 being delayed for pretty much a whole month

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Mikedawson posted:

Oh my god holy poo poo Diana Skelly's back? Her art in the Fighters arc of Archie was so loving good.

Yeah, and she's doing a story for the Annual as well (Jon Gray too)

Issue 15's gonna be the debut of the first interior artist who never worked for Archie: Jack Lawrence (Transformers: Lost Light)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Yeah I've been really digging year 2 (the semi-official name for issues 13 onward) more than year 1 (issues 1-12) so far, and I liked year 1

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I liked issue 15: Jack Lawrence makes a great first impression

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Woah Kenny

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Veotax posted:

I am now that you posted about it. Didn't know that it was coming out that soon.

the annual had gotten outright delayed; it was originally supposed to come out at the end of march
Issue 0 of the Tangle/Whisper book (which is just the first few pages of the upcoming issue 1 coming out this summer followed by a recap of year one) actually came out last week

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Annual Good, nice to see Diana Skelly return.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/the_kochalka/status/1124063154160459778

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

As I mentioned in another thread, editor Justin Gabrie was arguably even more to blame for the comic being the way it was in the late 90s/early 00s than Penders: he was very asleep at the wheel and did a terrible job of coordinating the different creatives (thus allowing the Penders/Bollers feud to become A Thing), and when he did meddle it was always stuff like "make the art look more anime" and "throw in love triangle stuff" and "have sonic and friends in school". If we had the same creative team but a more competent editor from early on, the comic probably would've been a lot better during that era.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I can see why Nodosaur didn't want us talking Penders in this thread; Lord of Booty we need you to make your separate thread

Plus this is a very busy month for IDW sonic: issue 16 comes out next wedensday, while issue 17 comes out 2 weeks after that.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Back on the topic of good sonic comics, I'd say the Rough/Tumblr/Rouge story was the overall best one of the annual, great art courtesy of Skelly, and it would be neat if we could get Cavan Scott to write more stories in the future if they're all as good as this one

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/Scourgey/status/1126119702336540673
(for those who need context)

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 9, 2019

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It was the first megaman crossover that they used to reboot the comic
:goonsay:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0wpxmfHLeE&t=2782s

So according to the bumblekast the zombot saga had it's origins in plans for Archie (also the Tangle & Whisper mini takes place between issues 16 and 17)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Surprised no one's talking about the tangle and whisper mini, given that it's been out for a week

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Agent Rush posted:

Honestly, there wasn't much to it. I realize its supposed to set up their new adventures, but without any new insights into either character or their relationship its just dull.

That, and I find imposter hero storylines incredibly boring without some kind of twist or examination of the character. Check out "The Greatest Enemy in History" story from Mega Man Megamix for a good example of what I mean.

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, it felt really "meh" to me.

Kinda ironic seeing these opinions when for people who are less keen on IDW sonic, the first issue of the mini was considered a breath of fresh air

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Agent Rush posted:

Huh, really? Who's saying that, and what were their complaints with the main comic? Most of what I've seen has been pretty positive regarding the new stories, aside from a few people (like me :() saying they missed the Freedom Fighters. This is actual curiosity, not trying to throw any kind of shade on anyone who doesn't like the new comics.

As for the mini, I just think this first issue doesn't bring anything new compared to the Tangle & Whisper story from the annual earlier this year which I enjoyed.

Generally the people complaining about the comic (at least those who are actually reasonable people rather than shitstiring Penders fanboys) are primarily complaining about the pacing.

Also they're generally found in the /sthg/ threads on 4chan's /vg/ board (alongside poo poo stirrers that are best left ignored), though there's a few on tumblr as well

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Ian basically went "hmmm what do I do with year 2? Oh yeah that's right there was that zombie plot idea that I never had time to do at archie!"

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

and here's "10 weird and wonderful Archie Sonic stories that hold up today", the far less masochistic follow-up

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I feel like what the book needs to do once all this is said and done is to take a break from doing long term stories and go in a more episodic direction for a while, with stories that are like 1-4 issues long, occasionally planting the seeds for the next big long term story

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

plus she's not replacing Ian full time (despite how headlines make it out to be), she's gonna alternate with Ian.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

There's something ironic about how IDW's plans to have issues 29-32 release biweekly instead of monthly and covid delaying everything ended up cancelling things out; right now issue 32 is scheduled for really early September (for reference the original plan was to have it release in June), and in a world that neither had the biweekly release plan nor covid would see issue 32 coming out in August (with it being easy to imagine a standard IDW delay pushing it to early September anyways)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

yeah one of Flynn's biggest issues is that his pacing for big epic year+ long stories often sucks? like a lot of great individual moments but a big overall sense of "get on with it!", it's usually his shorter stories that hit a lot better; which is a major factor as to why the news of Evan Stanley graduating to co-head writer is so exciting because he'll have to stick to writing shorter term stuff and even any big epic year+ long stories seem like they will generally have him and Evan alternate within issue blocks.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Agent Rush posted:

#30 was another weak issue, all that happens is the Deadly Six and Eggman escaping to fight another day and answering where Sonic went. If it doesn't pick up soon, I might just wait for Bad Guys and drop the main book for the trades.

I mean we're right on the cusp on Evan Stanley becoming co-head writer with Ian (starting with issue 33), with it apparently being a while before Ian's next set of post-32 main book issues, and I'd imagine a new writer being thrown in the mix would change the pacing dynamic

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

And so ends Ian's run on IDW Sonic. He's still gonna be around though (for example he's writing the Bad Guys miniseries)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

So the first issue of Evan's run dropped today and it's pretty good. Nice to get some downtime after the Metal Virus stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Alfredo Jones posted:

Something about Belle and the way Tails is treating her just screams “love interest” to me. If I were a betting man I’d wager that at some point in the future she’ll become a flesh and blood animal and start dating Tails.

on the other hand Sega frowns on giving the games characters love interests (outside of Amy's crush on Sonic) plus (and yes I know this arc is written by Evan Stanley and not Ian) Ian himself these days wants to be as far away from shipping wars as possible