Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

chitoryu12 posted:

He seems to be one of those conservative guys that is absolutely convinced that the only reason society is bowing to those darn SJWs and their "give human rights to people" advocacy is because of the liberal media propaganda, so when the Hugo Awards started awarding progressive authors he lost his mind and started trying to get people to nominate the dumbest pulp ever (which coincidentally often included his own books) in protest.

Close. It started when someone told him he sucked and wasn't a real author because he hadn't won a Hugo, so he said they are all a sham and basically just awarded to progressive authors because message and to Tor authors blah blah blah instead of cool things people actually like (such as what he writes).

Actually both Grimnoir and Son of the Black Sword were both started because people told him well you arn't a REAL FANTASY author. He is a man that often gets his motivation from spite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

So an interesting thing about gun-nuttery, Correia hates HK guns IRL, and I don't think his protagonist ever uses them. But when John Ringo wrote his basically fan-fiction of MHI that has been published and Correia helped edit, his protagonist wanked off about how HK makes the best guns for a solid 2 pages and it was glorious in some meta gun-nut argument kind of way.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

This suffers the same problem as a lot of secret supernatural stories in that there's not really a good reason for it to be secret.

There actually is one but :spoilers: I guess.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How do you know this

EDIT: But seriously I cannot even follow this book as a joke and I followed loving Handbook for Mortals

This is just such joyless empty worthless trash

It's some pretty grade A(or I guess B) trash...personally I listened his other series on audible first and came back to this and MHI is definitely his weakest book, but it's also his first so I guess that makes sense.

In case this isn't super obvious, MHI is basically what if all those B-monster movie survivors joined up and fought monsters together but with guns then you have years of that idea swirling in your head together. This is also why 2 of the major side characters in the series Trip and Holly both are archetypes that are traditionally killed in B-horror movies, I believe they were envisioned early in the creation of the story.

Choco1980 posted:

Y'know, the overall plot of the story is cool by me, I always dig modern fantasy and horror. But whoo boy, the Mary Sue levels of Pitt are just unbearable.

It's the worst in this book, just keep telling yourself it's from the perspective of Pitt. Because while even with that it's still a Mary Sue, it definitely tones it down a little as it makes Pitt look extremely self centered and arrogant, which hmmm those are the same problems he has with Grant.

ShinsoBEAM! fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 10, 2018

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

well yeah but I wonder what this posits about Correia's view of human nature.

If becoming a vampire means they take on certain behaviors, then why does the vampire fundamentally retain most of their human identity and personality? How does the transformation manage to cause a person to utterly change in terms of moral behavior while they still retain all the rest of their basic nature?

As I see it, there are three possibilities.

A. Vampires are not actually evil. Correia is inadvertently making a commentary on the selfishness inherent in a carnivorous existence. The shift from hunger for, say, a cow to hunger for a human is not actually a change in moral prerogative. A vampire has as much right to eat a human as a human has to eat an animal. The vampires are not evil, they are simply in need of prey that has a better capability for self-defense. In this case, there is not an inherent moral justification to killing vampires. It is simply prey defending itself.

B. Vampirism is the empowerment of the Id over the Ego. The personality of a vampire remains relatively unchanged from their human form because the essential nature of the host remains unaltered. Instead, the drive to immediate gratification overtakes the more rational elements of the person, and they become driven by an untamable neural itch to feed that still renders them essentially human despite this impulse.

C. This is what I think is the correct answer. Correia has constructed a reality which is totally devoid of any concept of free will. We do not act in any way determined by our morals or sense of self. Instead, we are creatures of pure instinct, behaving in the ways natural to our physical form. There is no such thing as "self", instead we are all biologically mechanistic, acting in the way our glands ordain without any actual say in what we do. We do not think, we do not feel. We simply act and ascribe these higher virtues to our actions. In this way, the change from human to vampire is a fundamental change of impulse and biological imperative. Personality, morality, desire, etc. are merely a superficial coverings of our true nature, which is the total dominance of instinct.

Fairly large later book spoilers

It's heavily implied that when you become a dark forces or monster thing it pollutes the soul and rewrites your morality and parts of your personality get fused with the force behind that evil which makes the person more evil and removes many of the inhibitions while dramatically cranking up instinct to do evil things. The older monsters actually tend to have significantly more control over themselves and are often less evil/instinctual but often far more dangerous because they have so much experience, but this is a process that often takes decades, and even then the person is never the same. This will also come up a lot later with the PUFF exemptions and STFU(Special Task Force Unicorn).

Also the reason why monsters are almost all "evil" was because he wanted a reason in the world why vampires would well be evil rather than just another power. Because if the things you were killing a lot weren't evil wouldn't that make you the bad guy?

I'm pretty sure Correia started with the end goal of monsters are evil so my dudes can kill them, and backworked in the justification as part of worldbuilding, he isn't trying to make some sort of literary point.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

And this is getting to the core of my fundamental issue with the book

I fail to see how this is different then the huge plethora of books/movies/fiction who throw in insert evil that everyone knows about see Nazi's/Mega-Corps/KKK, something else and then just runs with the default assumption that they are bad because well...of course they are, maybe add in a few scenes showing yes they are evil wow.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Also despite being turned by the most powerful vampire of all and even being able to feel Julie's pulse from afar, he couldn't pull a lie detector test on Pitt? Is he that good of a liar that he doesn't even get nervous doing it? If so, is that Larry dissing on accountants?

I'm pretty sure Pitt was in an extremely nervous and agitated state the entire time so his heart rate would be sky high anyways. Plus there is a reason why lie detector tests normally test you for baseline first before asking actual questions.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

A dangerous attempt to normalize fascism in a treatise on a toxic world view.

Because it's not. If Correia's multiple rants on why message fiction sucks and is bad during the sad puppies debacle, and talking about how his own books didn't have messaging in them (until Black Sword), then I'm not sure what more you need. Maybe we can thrown in that Correia hated Trump and didn't vote for the guy because he was a "thin-skinned authoritarian", his politics based off the 2016 election posts also did not line up with the alt-right, or fascism. But continue to read into a novel that was written to justify the killing of monsters with lots of guns. But even then, his politics even in this book are pretty clearly leaning on the conservative/libertarian/ancap side of the equation which was hard opposed to the alt-right, that and the politics are taken as default assumption because he was writing this for a group of people who believed these things already, and it comes off to everyone as over the top in terms of it's presentation.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Professor Bling posted:

There's a later book where the orcs throw a live chicken into the Hind's tailrotor as a sacrifice for the "tailrotor spirits" to "fix" the helicopter mid-chase, and in another instance one of the MHI guys admits he sneaks out to *actually* fix the Hind because the orcs "think welding is black magic"

Umm I'm pretty sure their magic does work that way though in a sense, because throwing the live chicken into the tailroader actually did fix it, there are a few other clues hanging around that their stuff is real too. It's just that some of the characters think it's bullshit/luck.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah it would be interesting to see someone of a different race act exactly the same cognitively as a human. Like, have the racial distinction turn out to be irrelevant when compared to education, class, opportunities, etc.

book 4:

They meet a dragon who is a ultra wealthy investor, that is part of a self help group online over their addictions his is of course hoarding valuable items. So far it enabled him to be able to sell valuable things and spend money as long as it was never physically in their presence.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

sky shark posted:

This book (later on) & Monster Hunter Alpha has more on the government using PUFF status for covert operations. Monster Hunter Legion mentions various firearms & tactical industry companies providing specialty goods for the companies, and there's the first ever convention for monster hunting groups in Vegas used as a reason to have them all in one place. I think the reason it's not being researched heavily is because MCB executes everyone dabbling in it without authorization and it's probably considered more highly classified than other secretive programs

To be honest based on the stuff we know from Legion it's even more confusing why they don't already know these things.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

At first I thought that this made Grant a much more relatable protagonist than Pitt, but then I realized that it's actually structuring any character development he has over feeling bad that he did a bad thing to the hero.

I always read it that he isn't mad he did a bad thing to the Pitt, he is mad because his gently caress-up almost got someone killed and he doesn't gently caress up.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

First Twilight book is pretty inoffensive YA and you will not get much out of it honestly, picking pretty much any random YA that isn't constantly dunked on would honestly probably be better. 50 shades has been beaten to death, but actually is quite awful.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Such a perfect opportunity for an "I know" from Julie.

Also that can't possibly be the actual end of the book, right? This is joke?

chitoryu12 didn't make any of it up, all of that is in the book.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Renegret posted:

I think I'm more upset about Franks than anyone else.

And maybe Holly. Okay Holly too.

I'm pretty sure the #1 fan complaint with this scene is that Franks died way too easily.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If the character is narrating from hindsight, we have no reason to believe the narrator has or will die. If the character is narrating internally, then certain choices in the description completely remove the reader from the scene and annihilate the plausibility of the narration.

This failure is most evident in the final line of the text

You basically have no real reason to believe this anyways between.

*Multiple clues with chosen one before hand.
*The fact that there is still 10% of the book left.
*A kill-em all at this moment would be a major tonal shift for the book.

It feels like this scene is being used to setup how much of a threat this is to the party rather than some kill-em all fake-out that didn't fake anyone out.

Most of these complaints I agree with though, and I feel are much less of problems in later books as he got better at writing. Heck it's less of a problem even in this books other action scenes.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It also occurs to me that describing a bullet as "tumbling through her brain tissue" makes no goddamn sense.

Bullets sometimes tumble after impacting something at a weird angle so that description made sense to me.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Even though the whole book is leading up to this final big interdimensional cthulu battle, all this stuff seems really out of place. The first half of this book is about a group of regular people finding out vampires and zombies are real. A few chapters later they're time traveling and battling aliens from another reality. It just doesn't feel like it matches up with the original tone of the book.

It's actually a decently long book, like 200kish words.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

A regular person trying to come to grips with the reality of suddenly having to fight the stuff of nightmares would be much more interesting than pitt who somehow has been training his entire life for a job that nobody knows exists

Remember this was originally a self-published work that was targeted towards fans of his web-fiction on a gun forum. So he is targeting the people who basically do this training or at least fantasize about it as a hobby.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Actually taking into account the epilogue, the real villain list for this book is:

Ultimate Foreshadowed Villain = Not-Cthulhu
Secret Main Villain = Lilith
Fake Main Villain = Poor Man's Pizarro
Side Villain = MILF Vampire
1st Assistant Side Villain = Nazi Vampire
2nd Assistant Side Villain who then becomes a good guy in his last scene = That Viking mercenary/tattoo guardian thing

There's 6 bad guys, one of whom becomes a good guy, one who doesn't reveal herself until the penultimate chapter, and one that's only in the epilogue to set up a sequel hook.

Not-Cthulhu is barely even a thing later I guess it manipulates events, but I do guess everything is moving towards a super-natural battle royale though and not-cthulhu is certainly a major player but not really a character like some of the other major players become.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

The parade of tying up loose ends goes away for the most part because it turns into more of a series rather than a one shot. Correia continues being fairly high detail, but alot of the over the top minute like having to explain everything about a gun gets toned down.

If you want to see how much he improved or didn't read the free sample of Son of the Black Sword.

As far as the rest of the books, basically every book is better than the last (writing improves, action remains fairly tense, Pitts not even the protagonist of #3 and #5). On #6 the fans split up a bit because it's a book basically entirely about how Pitt hosed up (in previous books) and he is trying to fix his gently caress up but that's not the way life works and he ends up failing and unable to fix his mistake. It's basically gently caress you Pitt the book, and the book where he has the most character development. It's just a kinda different tone from the gently caress yeah!!! tone of the first 5 and it turned off some fans a bit.

Also the chosen one stuff is kinda neat it's basically otherworldly forces placing bets to give you a bit of destiny that helps with stuff. There are also quite a few chosen ones just depends on what otherworldly forces are betting on you.

ShinsoBEAM! fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 28, 2018

• Locked thread