Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Ground Floor! Woo!

At least the cover looks professional, especially for a self-published book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Wolfman's got nards!

Also, I suspect Pitt miiiiight be a self insert, and the author pic looks like he might not be a small guy.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

To be fair, a tabletop set in the modern world where you're a covert organization hunting monsters in secret is still a pretty fun idea.

I'm patiently waiting for when the book setting milkshake ducks us.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

To be fair, spite is a pretty great motivator historically.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'm rolling my eyes so hard at Pitt's backstory that I think I may have damaged something.

I will say this, when his dad cornered him asking what really happened, it almost felt like he already knew what sort of "something strange" he might be into. Or is that subtle foreshadowing?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I love how he says that she rifles off stats that would only be interesting to gun nuts, then immediately rifles off those stats.

Meanwhile, the Silver conversation totally appeals to me, and I love seeing modern technology applied to old monster lore. I wonder if MHI ever has to handle Sidhe style threats and instead switch to ammo that is iron based.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Idran posted:

That's a more modern redefinition. "Cold iron" was originally just a poetic description for any iron blade, like "cold steel".

Yeah, I've looked it up and apparently it's just a flourish like "Cold Steel" that I suspect they mean "heartless" rather than "frigid" when they say Cold. Like, any iron will do for fighting witches and fae, as long as it's just iron.

chitoryu12 posted:

This is also something I've studied. A big problem with iron is that depending on your particular formula, it can also end up being too hard and ruining your rifling. One question is "What does 'cold iron' mean?" If it means a specific kind like consecrated iron, you've got a problem. If any kind of iron or steel works, you've got steel core ammo or steel buckshot and birdshot.

Shotguns are the ideal anti-monster or anti-ghost (if you're shooting rock salt) weapon because they're just steel tubes, so they can safely load and fire virtually anything that fits in a shell. Need a quick silver load? Just buy a bunch of silver beads from a jewelry supplier and make as much silver buckshot as you need.

So I'm not a gun guy, but I tend to understand stuff when people talk about it (it's funny, I'm the same way about programming language, so people automatically think I'm some computer expert for it). It sounds to me like the whole hollow point with a chunk of silver inside that the book went with and you said was where you independently decided to go with other stuff, it's basically the same principle as buckshot, wherein the payload isn't the bullet, but rather inside the bullet to do it's damage piggyback style, correct?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I guess creampuff still is used like wimp here, but mostly puff is used in reference to smoke or breathing or what have you.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Wait, I thought he said earlier that the one brick building was the only permanent structure at the camp? Now they have barracks, aircraft hangers, a refrigerated morgue, etc etc

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Wait a second book, put it in reverse...you can't just drop that Golems are in the monster pool without explaining what kind they are. Are we going by D&D rules where just any vaguely man shaped monster created by a wizard counts? Or is the the old school Jewish variety with "Life" etched in Hebrew on their clay foreheads, waiting to be smeared into "Death" to undo them?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Don't forget the conflicting ethnic descriptions

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Y'know, the overall plot of the story is cool by me, I always dig modern fantasy and horror. But whoo boy, the Mary Sue levels of Pitt are just unbearable.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Again, I have to say this isn't bad. If you can overlook the super aggrandizing of the protagonist (and yes, I realize that's a big "if") it's worst crimes so far have been being a fairly generic mashup of military and monster tropes. Like it's so far sitting in the fairly innocuous "turn your brain off" airport fiction category to me. It's not something I'd read myself, but I don't hate it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

So, it occurs to me, why doesn't MHI have their own boat? They can afford a Hind for goodness sakes, they can afford to buy boats.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Tangentially related, but how does morse code work for non english speakers? Everything I've always seen is it's based on English...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

My hot take on the vampires immediately being evil thing is that Darne is as much under the will of ol Machado as his wights were under his.

But what do I know, I'm a Monster-American myself, so of course I'll try to rationalize their actions.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Monocled Falcon posted:

I wonder where it's coming from, I don't remember campy monster movies having a lot of girlfriend stealing NTR bullshit.

Considering Pitt is a Mary Sue self-insert, I'm wondering if Julie is based on an irl woman...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Frankly, when I've talked about the book being not bad, it's because I enjoyed the action and monster stuff, which at the end of the day is pretty drat boilerplate. I mean, we could be going through an Anita Blake book and have the same enjoyable sections, only interwoven not by weird Libertarian propaganda and might-makes-right mentalities, but instead dimestore romantic drivel and poorly written sex scenes slowly getting more elaborate. The book would still be about a person whose main purpose in life is killing monsters, in a world where monsters actually exist, whether or not they actually automatically mean a threat to be put down. And we'd still be complaining about the trashy prose and uncomfortable mary sue protagonist. At no point in the scenario would anyone say "Boy I sure like what these guys are saying about the world, I think it's helped me decide how I'm going to vote next time!" or anything like that.

I do think an interesting point is raised by having vampirism be an automatic morality switch to thunder and lightning, mustache twirling evil. Like, they've already hinted that some monsters can be reasoned with and even allied with, but apparently vamps are a zero tolerance thing? Maybe I'm just too sensitive to Monster Discrimination, being a Flesh-Golem myself (Don't call Persons of People Frankensteins, that's our word now) but I'm probably going to side with the vamps on this issue.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean I would think not since, as I understand, the blood acts as pure life force. Not sure if it leaves any waste products after being metabolized

Shoot, even if it does, it's liquid, so I would think it'd be all pee.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

It occurs to me how absurd Turley's "specialty" was. An expert on all native practices in the entire Western Hemisphere?? It's rare to find an anthropologist who's an expert at more than like, 3 or 4 groups of people tops.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

My pet peeve is when writers use the same god-drat modifier word in consecutive sentences, especially when one use of it is an adverb.

Hey, Mr Writer-Man, how about you dig deep and use your wordy-skills to workshop one of those sentences? Maybe the one with the superfluous adverb?

Seriously, that's like, something you'd get knocked down for in 10th grade English class.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Godzilla fans do call him "Big G" often. Just saying.

EDIT: VVVV Same.

Choco1980 fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 21, 2018

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

We have to be introduced to Grant like he hasn't been a part of like half the book already?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Gee, I wonder who this Mystical Champion could be, I have no idea whatsoever....

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

I cannot imagine how stupid they must look kitted out in their tactical gear, with stakes, grenades, custom firearms, webbed pouch carriers and then rounding it all off with loving hockey helmets.

Eh, I'm just picturing cages over the faces instead of the traditional riot gear helmet with a shatterproof clear plastic section over it, but the rest of the helmet relatively similar.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I've heard such horror stories, both of the prose quality and the incorrect depiction of bdsm, I can't wait.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I actually don't mind the world building of there being terrifying monsters in the world that have no bearing on any plots in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Stop, stop, I can only get so flaccid...

• Locked thread