Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Internet Wizard posted:

Yeah PMCs probably aren’t the best example to use when trying to say privatization is a good thing.

Also I meant specifically more how gross and predatory it is to demand payment from somebody before killing a monster threatening their very lives. Like if animal control refused to deal with human-aggressive cougars until they got paid off, but worse.

The government pays them, and other companies like them, a bounty based on some actuarial tables or something and/or get hired like exterminators by businesses.

They don't go charging around negotiating up front fees with regular folk like they're a group of Witchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Internet Wizard posted:

"We make the rest in contracts set up with various municipalities, organizations, and private individuals with monster problems." sure gives that impression.

Eh, seems to me it's basically a supernatural exterminator service.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Samizdata posted:

You can have ketchup if you want. Fedora, trilby or snapback?

I mean the government established PUFF which funds MHI one way or another, so that is good government action, not to mention the government's useful assistance in covering everything up.

On the not "Chi Has To Eat His Hat with an Everclear Back" front, I don't remember this well enough, but does MHI actually employ the hunters, or is it more a gig/Uber thing or does MHI provide them support and they get paid by bounties?

It’s been forever since I read this, but I *think* they’re employees with room and board. Each mission they get hazard bonus and part of the PUFF (with the lion’s share being plowed back into MHI for operational and personnel expenses). But they also typically go after the big number gigs, so it’s probably pretty drat profitable for everyone involved. Except for that whole life expectancy thing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Drunken Baker posted:

Is "puff" an outdated 80s homophobic slur in America like it is here in the UK?

Not that I can recall in high school. It was typically all "Homo" or "human being", back then.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I feel like you're overthinking a Baen Truck Stop novel.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, I made it through I think three of these things (because I really wanted to read about the adventures of monster exterminators), before I gave up.

There's a real thread of "The violent and strong are the only hope. And that's us. If you're peaceful (i.e. pathetic and weak), I suppose you can hide behind us and not get in our way. But we want money for doing this. We'd probably be doing an even better job if it weren't for all those pesky laws and regulations from those greedy, conniving politicians"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You explained why you liked it, you didn't explain how your enjoyment of it is separate from its messaging. How do you draw excitement from the action scenes if you are not invested in the narrative behind that action?

And back to the cinematic thing. A cinematic action scene in a 1st person perspective novel is a total stylistic blunder. A cinematic experience necessitates the existence of an outside observer (i.e. the camera) who, even when focusing on a single character's experience, still frames that experience from an external perspective.

1st person writing, on the other, is fundamentally internal. A story told from within a human head cannot be cinematic by definition less the author is failing at one of the two elements.

Why are you demanding the thread justify it to you? I'm here to mock it, as are most others. Occasionally I may point out something I like. If that bothers you, then sorry-not-sorry, gently caress off. Ultimately, you're just some stranger to me.

You instead seem to be demanding some sort of obeisance to your enlightened, literary critique. But no one cares. Most of us are here to dunk on the book and make fun of it. You seem to think we need to have a serious, critical discussion on the implications of power fantasies.

We don't. I mean, I'm sorry we all can't live up to your expectations when making fun of stupid gun book, but get over yourself.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You are giving me a power I dont have. I am engaging with the book and mocking it too. If you dont want to take the direction I am taking in having a go at it, that's fine. If you don't think I have anything relevant to say, you dont have to listen to me.

If my ideas didn't have merit, people would not be prompted to respond to them. I would just be tossing ideas into a void and probably eventually grow bored.

I am not responsible for anyones decision to engage with me. I take the fact that people are so driven to respond a signal that I am speaking to something they also wish to resolve. Quite simply, if I am so dumb and crazy, why do so many people want to argue with me? There is no reasoning with a mad man afterall.

Yeah, I over-reacted on that and I apologize.

I come in expecting more making fun, puns, and other poo poo with this. Instead there's this huge debate on whether its morally questionable to enjoy a work whose ethos is contemptible. Which, while a fascinating topic, not one I want to engage in at the end of a day of work and I'm unwinding in these dumb forums. Especially with a bottom-of-the-barrel fantasy-militia series.

So that's on me. I got frustrated the conversation wasn't delivering what I wanted.

Again sorry for being a douche about it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I just want to thank you for “Persons of People” to refer to golems.

Brilliant.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wait. You’re saying I’m a vampire because I deserved it?

How dare you!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EVGA Longoria posted:

Yeah, it's an interesting concept, but it gets real rape-y in execution for the Lust ones, who are 99% of the ones you meet.

I’d say that’s probably the entire point, given that the White Court are almost entirely supernatural rapists.

The problematic part is Butcher put one of them on Team Scooby presenting him as a noble man for struggling with his desire to rape.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 14, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

This derail loving sucks. Can we get back to the MHI read-a-long?

Yeah, LostRook got the last word in, so mission accomplished for him. Let’s get back to making fun of this unconsciously racist, libertarian hack please.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Including trailer park elfs?

I think monsters can get an exemption from PUFF if they do some kind of service for the gov’t or some such poo poo. It’s been at least a decade since I’ve read any of the books.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Clipperton posted:

Is this even true? All of the Lovecraft protagonists I can think of go nuts after a single hideous revelation, they don't have a "gradual descent into madness". In fact the guys who've done the research usually keep their poo poo together the longest, like Dr. Armitage in The Dunwich Horror.

I'm thinking most of Correia's knowledge of Lovecraft comes from RPGs and videogames, where losing SAN points every time you pick up the Necronomicon is definitely a feature.

There's a couple, but I'm not sure if they were actually written by Lovecraft or part of the writing circle like Bloch and others.

Some of the 1st person journals show increasing paranoia and hallucinations until they end with an inevitable "I hear something under the floor..." or "There's movement behind the walls..."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

My pet peeve is when writers use the same god-drat modifier word in consecutive sentences, especially when one use of it is an adverb.

quote:

An unfortunate armadillo blundered into our path and was sent on its way to armadillo nirvana.

Unfortunately our loss of speed put us right next to the gargoyle clinging to the trailer.

Hey, Mr Writer-Man, how about you dig deep and use your wordy-skills to workshop one of those sentences? Maybe the one with the superfluous adverb?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Make Skippy the protagonist instead.

chitoryu12 posted:

Make Holly the protagonist instead.

They get alternate chapters.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Renegret posted:

I liked this book better when the plot didn't exist.

I do appreciate that everyone not part of MHI wants to murder Pitt as soon as they meet him.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well yeah but theres no shortage of bad books out there. A thread about Twilight or Fifty Shades is already essentially pre-written. Everyone knows what is bad about it and why its bad. It would be a recitation rather than a reaction.

Like, do a lovely Orson Scott Card book like the one with fascist neo-romans conquering earth, or the one where he rewrites Hamlet to be about how gays are evil.

Or L Ron Hubbbard

Or Ayn Rand

Or Irene Iddlesleigh

There is nothing stopping you from starting a thread for those.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

[25/F] My BF [25/M] of 10 hours cheated on me with my mom [immortal/F]
submitted 2 minutes ago by nosferasstumom

I'm sorry if this is jumbled, I'm on my phone and in total shock right now.

I love (well, loved) my mum to bits, she's done so much for me and sacrificed everything so I could have a good education and a happy life. I met my boyfriend when we started working together. I love (again; well, loved) him with all my heart. I truly believed we would be together forever. We started working together one month ago and our relationship has been practically perfect since then. We never fight (except over my ex), and he makes me feel like a princess everytime I'm with him.

This morning I woke up and went to have a shower. On my way to the shower I heard my mom's voice (who I haven't seen in years because she died) coming from his room and I honestly could not believe what I was hearing. MY mum was saying something along the lines of: "I hope your morning wood is as good as the wood they try to stake me with ;)." Obviously I freaked out and went into his room and my mom was there and she was a vampire now. They had been basically having sex. Once I saw them I pulled out my gun and put a ton of bullets into her. She laughed at me and flew away.

I have no idea what to do. These were the two most important people in my life. I have pretty much no friends here, everyone I know is just a coworker. I'm so heartbroken. Every time I think of my BF all I see is him touching my mom's butt. Please help me.

tl;dr - BF almost hooked up with my undead mother

:five:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Pitt defeated who we thought was the main villain, who turned out to be a pawn of the real main villain, who was then killed by the guy who was actually the side villain because our hero accidentally ruined everything and could only be saved by the side villain coming back to life.

Wouldn’t that be the 2nd assistant side-villain (in casting terms)?

Main Villain = poor man’s Pizarro
Side Villain = MILF vampire
1st assistant Side Villain = Nazi vampire
2nd assistant Side Villain = That Viking mercenary/tattoo guardian thing

Oh, right. I almost forgot

Super Double Secret Probation Villain = dime store Cthulhu

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

It's more like:

Secret Main Villain = Lilith
Fake Main Villain = Poor Man's Pizarro
Side Villain = MILF Vampire
1st Assistant Side Villain = Nazi Vampire
2nd Assistant Side Villain who then becomes a good guy in his last scene = That Viking mercenary/tattoo guardian thing

I amended my last post.

Proteus Jones posted:

Oh, right. I almost forgot

Super Double Secret Probation Villain = dime store Cthulhu

Too many god drat villains up in here.

• Locked thread