Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Also I vote that we change "gunters" to "hunters" immediately.

:yeah:

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

THE GUN IS GOOD, THE PENIS IS EVIL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

I think we both agree on Sorrento's complexity and just disagree on exactly how inclined he is to turn to killing.

I view Sorrento as a very competent villain, someone who never needed OASIS the way his sister did because he had everything he needed in real life. He didn't grow up poor, for one, but he also grew up handsome, charismatic, and intelligent. He had everything he needed to live whatever kind of life he desired as long as he put his mind to it. The death of his sister is what broke him. The only reason he joined IOI was because he knew that their resources could get him to the Egg and give him the power he needed to shut off his sister's killer forever.

I think Sorrento can also talk a lot about humanity and saving it from itself! But I like multi-layered motivations and people who are good at fooling themselves. I think that over the years, Sorrento has talked so much to himself about how he needs to shut down OASIS that he's crafted an excellent monologue about how shutting down OASIS will save the human race and allow it to finally return to fixing reality. He gives this monologue to Wade during their interview because he sympathizes with Wade's background and feels that they could be kindred spirits. But the monologue? It was for himself. What he tells Wade is his personal theorycrafting about why his revenge is making him the hero humanity needs. He's done it for so long that he now fully believes that he's going to make the world a better place. But never forget that what started it was a young man's personal anger and drive for revenge, and ultimately that's what it's about.

When Wade foils his plans, Sorrento doesn't merely see his plan to save humanity threatened. He sees his sister's memory tarnished by someone who doesn't understand the good he's trying to do for everyone. The anger this causes not only leads Sorrento to go farther than ever in stopping the High Five, but eventually causes him to lose his cool during the final battle and inadvertently admit to everything in front of everyone.

Personally, I think that has to happen right at the climax of the story. Like I said earlier, have Sorrento come within fingertip's reach of the Egg, only for Wade to beat him. Instead of Wade entering Castle Anorak and then being free to roam it unaccosted, you need to have Sorrento in there too, stalking the rooms like a frothing, obsessed madman literally tearing the place apart because he's just loving done with all of it and his last ounce of respect for Halliday and the digital hell he created (in Sorrento's view) has finally bled away from him.

Instead of Wade meeting God at the end of the story (Halliday's AI ghost), he should be confronted by God and the Devil (Sorrento) and just let the three of them have their debate on whose philosophy is, if not "right" then at least "more right". Wade needs to see his two idols (Halliday and Sorrento) for who they really are once all their internal and external mythologies have been stripped away from both of them. And Sorrento needs to have a moment where he just lays into Halliday's ghost for all his myriad sins before (in his mind) he shuts down OASIS and kills Halliday's legacy.

I kinda mulled this over last night while in the midst of other things, where I pictured a little demi-epilogue of Wade visiting Sorrento in federal prison to get some form of closure and I cooked up this little bit of dialog:

quote:

"I admired you once, you know that, right?" I said.

He chuckled softly. "I know. It's too bad you admired him more though. We could avoided most of this madness otherwise."

Plus with Sorrento locked away in prison for life for his crimes he gets a measure of what he wants too. There's no OASIS in prison. He never has to log into it or put on a VR headset and haptic suit ever again. He gets to spend the rest of whatever's left of his life in the real world utterly regardless of what Wade and co. decide to do with OASIS, and you know what? ...He's okay with that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I unironically love George RR Martin and every word he's ever written. Make this book like my favorite author, George RR Martin makes his books pretty please.

Oh by the way, congrats on moving up to being the 11th-most Ignored user on SA. Yer on the way to the top, baby! Ain't no stoppin' you now... especially because literally everyone in front of you has already been perma'd :buddy:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Gonna echo everyone else and say keep Aech and Art3mis just like their book counterparts. Maybe give Samantha a little something more to be self-conscious about other than “oh no I’ve got a cool looking birthmark under my eye”, but I think they were fine the way they were conceptually already. Wade finding out who Aech really is should be something that draws them closer as friends and increases his admiration of her like 10 fold because it just makes her seem like even more of a badass to him.

I do agree with the sentiment though that Aech should show up to the final battle with a re-specc’d avatar more attuned to her real life self: buff, black, badass and female (any additional flair is optional) and when Wade sees it for the first time, he just starts grinning like an idiot and is all :hellyeah: about it. But not in Cline’s way of “I’m doing this to show I’m ostensibly pro-diversity” and more in a “I am legitimately happy for you being comfortable with yourself” way.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 7, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wouldn't it just be easier to write the story instead of crowd-sourcing characterization? Art demands creative vision, not creative consensus. Just decide yourself.

Also, I am going to be That Guy and agree with this sentiment--TO AN EXTENT. Soliciting ideas and discussion from the thread is good, but putting major elements like this up to a committee vote is fraught with peril. There, I said it. You can all go back to ignoring him now until he says something worth listening to again.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Well then go make a thread that fixes all the problems you have with this thread and charge people money to post in it to feed your hungry family and gently caress off from this one.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Some dumb poo poo

lol @ someone getting so mad at people having fun on the internet they have a multi-day long obsessive meltdown over it. Who gives a poo poo what other people do with their time? Some guy literally pissed in a jar and it won an award from the National Endowment for the Arts. What are your thoughts on that in 50,000 words or less?

Go outside and enjoy the world away from your keyboard, you angry goony leg pimple.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ulvir posted:

you are really mad about BotL existing for some weird reason

I’m a moderator on the Something Awful Forums, I’m always mad. It’s a job requirement.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ccs posted:

Instead of critiquing the effort, I hope Mudkiper and BotL just keep posting excerpts of their version of a rewrite. So we can see the actual rewrite and the absurd sexual carnival evolve side by side.

Wasn't that how Game of Bones happened? Does that mean they're going to jail afterward like the real GoB authors did?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I gotta admit I am not feeling that first line.

Here's a pitch. Start the novel in OASIS. Its a novel about VR, why start it in the real world? Hell, I would go so far as to start it in medias res.

You can also make the first line reference to Neuromancer more than a reference and actually make it play the same role as it did in the source text.

"The sky over the Tomb was the color of neon"

I'd say combine both versions.

"I don't remember what color the sky was the day James Halliday died. Hell, I don't even think I saw the sky that day. The sky over the Tomb, however, was the color of neon, and never the same shade twice."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Why would it be important that the protagonist doesn't remember what colour the sky was? If the point is that he didn't care, why would he even bring it up?

Post your opening chapter.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Botl and I are co-authors of the ONANSIS project.

Please don't co-ordinate with your alt so openly. It's unbecoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What are you even mod of anyways

You might right now? RGD. :getin:

• Locked thread