Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Might as point out in the end they were not even Megalo Boxing. They were just straight up boxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Might as point out in the end they were not even Megalo Boxing. They were just straight up boxing.

While they did strip away the powered exoskeletons, they did still have a number of other features unique to Megalo Boxing. Unlimited rounds until someone gets knocked out, for instance, are not usual. It’s still a blood-sport, it’s just that they’re no longer armed.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

the fights loving ruled

Ippo's fights were way better, though.

It didn't deliver Ippo's level of fighting or Ashita no Joe's level of characterization/world building. But the soundtrack was slick as hell and the visual aesthetic did a good job doing the late '90's callback.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

It’s still a blood-sport, it’s just that they’re no longer armed.

Well they have boxing gloves, so they kind of are armed. Especially when I'm pretty sure limited rounds were introduced specifically because the use of gloves meant that fighters could hit harder without risk of injury to their hand so fights became more lethal and people started dying.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here they seemed to have implemented unlimited rounds because guys always get knocked out quickly. The Yuri vs Joe matched remarked as the first time they had ever gotten to 13 rounds.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Ippo's fights were way better, though.

It didn't deliver Ippo's level of fighting or Ashita no Joe's level of characterization/world building. But the soundtrack was slick as hell and the visual aesthetic did a good job doing the late '90's callback.

Who cares you can enjoy more than 1 boxing anime

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Darth Walrus posted:

And with most of the modern boxing safety procedures removed. This is very specifically boxing as (even more of) a bloodsport.

They don’t make graves for wild dogs

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the kinda glossover w/r/t the physical issue of the sport is a bit strange but i didnt mind it

its only really "off" because the latter half of AnJ is like, extremely specifically saying "hey this is all a bit over the loving top but nobody cares so long as they have fun watching"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Billzasilver posted:

They don’t make tombstones for stray dogs
Just thought I'd help. :colbert:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

A blood sport where no one died

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Futaba Anzu posted:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Futaba Anzu posted:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I mean, Yuri was still crippled and Araki was forced to retire because his body wasn't able to withstand the pressure anymore. Its not death, but there's clearly some blood going around.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdWmzPUjtPU heres the ost i guess>???

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/AceDeFoc/status/1009582407513788417

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/vizmedia/status/1014990870771187712?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I'm rewatching through AnJ since this show concluded especially and if there's ever an anime with absolutely incredible mood its this

Spoilers and all, but check out this clip where Joe (who has spent the last several episodes antagonizing the family man superchampion Jose) challenges the champ following watching one of his fights. Everything from the art, the music, the intonations on the voice acting is perfect and incredibly memorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgs2dmHariM&t=955s

• Locked thread