Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unmature
May 9, 2008

Kyte posted:

I believe he's not-saying he hated it.

Personally I hated it too.

Rap sucks.

Do you listen to everything but rap and country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

Rap is actually very good

I am neutral on the subject of rap in general, but it fits well with the rest of the Megalo Box visual and aural design, so in this context it is Quite Good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Ain’t the first time this year we’ve seen a delinquent give themselves therapy through rap in a prestige reimagining of a dark, violent classic manga, and I, for one, am OK with the trend continuing.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

I am neutral on the subject of rap in general, but it fits well with the rest of the Megalo Box visual and aural design, so in this context it is Quite Good.

Kyte posted:

Rap sucks.

I'm stuffing both of you into a torpedo tube and launching you into the Mariana Trench.

There will be no mourning or funeral.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Kyte posted:

Rap sucks.

Nah, I actually like rap, and I remember how goofy rap was in the 90s vs today, and Sachio's rap was definitely 90s.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

Nah, I actually like rap, and I remember how goofy rap was in the 90s vs today, and Sachio's rap was definitely 90s.

You are free from torpedo fate, for now...

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

A bunch of 90s artists had a sense of fun and cheeky playfulness thats mostly gone now barring some people aiming for that style and I'll support it, like J-Zone.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The epitome of rap is D12 riffing on themselves.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
J-Zone owns a lot

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

I'm stuffing both of you into a torpedo tube and launching you into the Mariana Trench.

There will be no mourning or funeral.

If I'm allowed last words, I'd like to clarify.

There is rap I have liked.

I have nothing against rap.

It's just not a genre I default to.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

chiasaur11 posted:

If I'm allowed last words, I'd like to clarify.

There is rap I have liked.

I have nothing against rap.

It's just not a genre I default to.

lmao

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
that post is so loving funy holy poo poo

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Kyte posted:

Rap sucks.

FOH BIH

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Japanese is just not a very good language for rap, just like Spanish (and since they are very similarly phonetically this makes sense).

There were plenty of Spanish-speaking singers who tried to ape American rap and hip hop in the eighties and nineties to abysmal results so new musical genres had to be developed in order to make rapping in Spanish not sound like poo poo. What I am trying to say is that Japan should give Reggaeton a chance if they want to rap.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

trucutru posted:

Japanese is just not a very good language for rap, just like Spanish (and since they are very similarly phonetically this makes sense).

There were plenty of Spanish-speaking singers who tried to ape American rap and hip hop in the eighties and nineties to abysmal results so new musical genres had to be developed in order to make rapping in Spanish not sound like poo poo. What I am trying to say is that Japan should give Reggaeton a chance if they want to rap.

Nah, this happened in KPop too, starting with 90s Korean rap just being a poor emulation of American style, and it took about 20 years before the underground hiphop scene finally had a breakthrough to sound like its own good thing.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I feel like someone is getting close to talking bad about Heartsdales and I simply cannot allow that.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

CubeTheory posted:

I feel like someone is getting close to talking bad about Heartsdales and I simply cannot allow that.

Right, so add 20 years, we're looking at ~2023 for Japanese Rap to actually mature into it's own thing

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

the japanese make some killer edm tho

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

CubeTheory posted:

Half their lyrics are in English, and you can tell they use the mishmash to spice up the grammatical limitations of Japanese.

Hentai Tentacle Demon
Apr 12, 2002

Spacy Spicy Love
Reggaetonkatsu

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Unmature posted:

Do you listen to everything but rap and country
I'm not saying it's the worst, but it's pretty down there.

E: Case in point --v

trucutru posted:

Well nobody told that to the guys trying to rap on the subway. I'd be quite happier without having to endure their attempts at freestyle.

Also no reggaeton is even worse why are you doing this to me.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kyte posted:

I'm not saying it's the worst, but it's pretty down there.

E: Case in point --v

Well nobody told that to the guys trying to rap on the subway. I'd be quite happier without having to endure their attempts at freestyle.

Also no reggaeton is even worse why are you doing this to me.

Did you know there is a reggaeton singer who goes by the name of "Japanese"? Soon the plan will be complete!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

trucutru posted:

there is good japanese rap

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
That line at the start. Yes I am looking forward to this.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Several people have noted that Yuri needed a good episode to build him up properly as Joe's rival before they fight and I think this was definitely a good effort at that requirement; though I haven't seen Ashita no Joe to compare it to how it was handled there. That said, I like that Shirato went through some indecision of her own to come to peace with what Yuri was doing and her end point seems to have been firing him from Shirato Inc. while allowing the fight to go ahead since he's no longer a representative of Gear technology. Also, the next episode title being Born to die seems like it's really dangling the ending of the original as a possibility.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

tsob posted:

seems like it's really dangling the ending of the original as a possibility.

I get the feeling that it'll be Yuri that dies and he goes out on his own terms

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Poniard posted:

I get the feeling that it'll be Yuri that dies and he goes out on his own terms

I mean, (manga spoilers) this was a great big call-back to Rikishi’s suicidal training, right down to referencing specific, iconic shots. Makes me wonder if they might have a sequel in the works for the other half of the original story.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
This episode was really good, dang. I was curious how Yuri was going to parallel Rikiishi's weight loss training from the original series, and this episode delivered.

It was good to see Mikio chilled the gently caress out after losing to Joe. It was good to see Nanbu and Joe's beginnings. It was good to see Aragaki is still doing ok.

Great episode all around.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

gnome7 posted:

This episode was really good, dang. I was curious how Yuri was going to parallel Rikiishi's weight loss training from the original series, and this episode delivered.

It was good to see Mikio chilled the gently caress out after losing to Joe. It was good to see Nanbu and Joe's beginnings. It was good to see Aragaki is still doing ok.

Great episode all around.

i didn't even recognize him at first. i thought we were being introduced to yuri's gay lover or something

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Condiv posted:

i didn't even recognize him at first. i thought we were being introduced to yuri's gay lover or something

Hahaha, exactly the same here. Yuri!!! on the Ring

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Condiv posted:

Same. He's so much softer and sweeter.

I love this goddamn show. I have reached a level of hype I didn't know I could feel anymore.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Those giant screens outside of the Megalomania arena did an absolutely splendid job of hyping this up

I expect at least THREE slowmo punches set to the sounds of a fighter jet taking off

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Condiv posted:

i mean are the two even mutually exclusive

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Condiv posted:

glad I wasn't the only one

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Condiv posted:

:same: I still haven't given up on the idea.

Torquemadras posted:

Those giant screens outside of the Megalomania arena did an absolutely splendid job of hyping this up

I expect at least THREE slowmo punches set to the sounds of a fighter jet taking off

It's going to be a long week waiting for my current favorite anime Megalo Box to air.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Condiv posted:

Completely agreed

Is ep 13 the finale?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

Completely agreed

Is ep 13 the finale?

Yah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

okay this single-handedly made this derail worth it

• Locked thread