Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

an actual dog posted:

He's gonna take it off without her permission and it's gonna own

We have a winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I thought he was gonna take it off mid fight and it would've owned, but yeah they insisted too much on it being integrated for it to happen

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
if anyone is interested in just part of the original, and more in particular understanding the relationship btwn joe and rikiishi, the following two videos do a really good job getting to the core of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiJfICwt6V4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnHlYOOTNKA

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tomorrow is Joe Day.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Not Dead Yet

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
That was a good show.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

A happy ending, somehow I wasn't expecting that.

Good show.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Guess it wasn't the point of the show but I was honestly interested what was up with Yukiko. Wanted to learn more of her and see some sort of definitive closure with her, which was lacking. Unless you count some sort of subtext or whatever.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
that subverted a lot of expectations tbh. i wasnt a fan of the ending until i saw joe being friends with yuri, then i was like, yeah okay, that was good.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I really wished it had ended in a double KO instead but the ending was good otherwise

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

That was a really nice and wholesome ending. Teach me how to dance, Nanbu-san.

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

Like everyone else with even the slightest familiarity with Ashita no Joe, that ending was the exact opposite of what I was expecting

Well played Megalo Box, you're truly a modern classic

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Dessel posted:

Guess it wasn't the point of the show but I was honestly interested what was up with Yukiko. Wanted to learn more of her and see some sort of definitive closure with her, which was lacking. Unless you count some sort of subtext or whatever.

No, her character was handled poorly through the second half of the show, possibly worse than the cheesy CGI audience.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

AnacondaHL posted:

No, her character was handled poorly through the second half of the show, possibly worse than the cheesy CGI audience.

Let’s throw this nerd in the river down by Nowhere Gym.

This episode owned. Best series of the season. I need the OST yesterday.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I really liked this show

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Good show.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
to me, the weirdest thing of the yukiko thing was how she got all upset when they asked if they could attach weapons to the integrated gear. you're selling stuff to the military, how can you act surprised when they want to weaponize it?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Centzon Totochtin posted:

to me, the weirdest thing of the yukiko thing was how she got all upset when they asked if they could attach weapons to the integrated gear. you're selling stuff to the military, how can you act surprised when they want to weaponize it?

She wants to know definitively that bones are being crushed in these men's bare hands

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I read it as less being surprised, and more wanting to shut the angle down early.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

I read it as less being surprised, and more wanting to shut the angle down early.

Yeah, but why?
Like a lot of the people in this thread have been saying, we're never really given much of an idea what Yukiko's game is. She's ostensibly running Megalonia as a big sales pitch for her attempt to sell Gear to the military. She has to know that they're going to plan on using Gear to, y'know, kill people. So why should she object to sticking guns on it?

It would make sense if she'd been established as actually having an emotional investment in the idea of Gear specifically as something which makes Men into Mega-men, and Megalonia was her way of celebrating the innate strength of humans and its union with technology or something like that, but she clearly doesn't, because she's so utterly willing to just drop the whole shtick like a sack of bricks once Yuri goes off the reservation. She's never once shown as thinking of Gear qua Gear as somehow sacrosanct, so her objection to "But what if GUN ARMS" seems really odd.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Military use has always been a powerful marketing tool for new technology - seriously, a vast amount of poo poo has gone on sale after being filtered through DARPA. If she wants to see widespread commercial Gear use, this is likely the way she has to go, but that doesn’t mean she has to like it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I liked the show on the whole, but the final episode felt like it was trying to cram a bit too much in to a single episode since it includes the entire Joe/Yuri fight as well as an epilogue. Which feels kind of egregious when several other fights against opponents with far less build up have taken up multiple episodes. It seems like they should have started the fight in the previous episode; at least the ring introductions - so that this episode could go straight in to the action. More than that, it was a bit weird to me that at one point Yuri is going "come on Joe, you can do more than this, show me your true strength" then 2 minutes later the two are basically knocking seven shades of poo poo out of each other with no real build up beyond Nanbu asking Joe to remember who he is. There's not even any scenes of Joe finding his rhythm in the ring and gradually getting on Yuri's level or anything. Something that seems necessary since Joe was struggling until that point. It feels badly paced. The sudden cut from a cross counter to the epilogue is kind of strange too, given that Joe apparently won. Why not show him winning then? There's not really a point in implying they take each other out simultaneously if one of them actually wins.

Even in small ways the episode feels a bit slap-dash; like, at the start of the episode there's a big font overlaid on the centre of the screen and taking up half of it saying "PRESENT DAY" but then the episode barely plays with time in any way that isn't immediately obvious. Why the gently caress did they include that? Were they originally planning to show some kind of flashbacks but those got cut? Rain starting to fall on the fight when they're in an indoor arena was quite odd too, especially since it didn't seem to add anything to the actual atmosphere or choreography of the fight.

I liked the episode despite that though, the epilogue was good too. Joe's quest to fight Yuri taking the angry, rebelliousness and drive out of him so that winning it allowed him to mellow out felt appropriate, Joe acting as a trainer in a gym after retiring undefeated and mentoring Sachio and the kids was nice too. As was Yuri and Joe being friends. The episode just felt like it mishandled some things and didn't quite stick the landing to make it really memorable because of it, instead falling back on genre cliches (like the cross counter) that don't really fit.

On the whole I liked the show, but again; with reservations. It seems like the sum is lesser than the parts that make it up really. I loved some of the individual episodes, but can't say as I loved the show particularly much looking back on it all. I'm disappointed that Shirato's side of the story feels like it just kind of meanders around and has no payoff. Gear is implied to be a social solution to a problem we're never shown. The shittiness of the setting for non-citizens like Joe and Sachio is barely explored after the first episode. The show did very little to explore it's setting on the whole, and the whole Gear part just felt like a gimmick added to make Joe look cooler by taking down Gear users without one and to make the show stand out from the crowd. There are a few cool scenes that emphasize the power of Gears, like Joe struggling to recover after one clean punch in his first Megaloboxing match, but on the whole they felt needless. I'm glad I watched the show, and it's made me interested in hunting down the original Ashito no Joe, but it's not really anything memorable on it's own. Decent, but nothing great basically.

The boxing itself was also quite dull on the whole. Lent some weight by the drama of the cast, but very simple and rather lifeless on it's own. Functional, but nothing that'll blow you away. I didn't even mind it too much until someone here linked to some videos on Youtube of various boxers basically dancing around the ring and/or their opponents, ducking and weaving in inventive ways to avoid hits, taunting their opponent with small gestures and basically bringing a lot of character to their fights. Megalo Box by comparison is almost all two guys standing there, with one punching while the other blocks. Budget might have constrained that somewhat, but some more inventive choreography would probably do the show a lot of good too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 29, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
They made it clear what the turning-point was. Yuri had no stamina thanks to his surgery, so Joe just had to survive until he could no longer keep up his defence and start hammering him. Those rushes where Yuri had him against the fence weren’t a sign that he was losing, as the audience thought, but that Yuri was getting desperate to put him down while he still had gas left in the tank. After the last of those happened and Joe was still standing, it was smooth sailing all the way.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I forgot that this show had a thread! loving loved the show. Even with the short-comings tsob has mentioned, the vibe this motherfucker had floating throughout its run made me fall in love with it and right now it's my AOTY, even after having watched Sora Yori (the Antarctica show), Laid-back Camp and Hinamatsuri. It's been a dang good year for anime so far! :peanut:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

tsob posted:

Gear is implied to be a social solution to a problem we're never shown. The shittiness of the setting for non-citizens like Joe and Sachio is barely explored after the first episode. The show did very little to explore it's setting on the whole, and the whole Gear part just felt like a gimmick added to make Joe look cooler by taking down Gear users without one and to make the show stand out from the crowd. There are a few cool scenes that emphasize the power of Gears, like Joe struggling to recover after one clean punch in his first Megaloboxing match, but on the whole they felt needless.

Yes, this. There's a whole thing to explore with the idea of unregistered citizens and the slums outside the city limits which gets almost entirely overlooked. And the Gear concept was seriously underused. The fight against Shiratobro with his auto-boxing AI Gear and the way Joe subverts it was a really cool use of the idea, and it feels like they should have been able to do more imaginative fights like that one and have more opportunities to show how the strengths of Gear were counterbalanced by weaknesses that Joe could exploit.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
The show was only 13 episodes. It’s a short time frame to cram everything in while still having a cohesive plot.

This show is definitely style (and heart) over substance in the best possible way.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nanigans posted:

The show was only 13 episodes. It’s a short time frame to cram everything in while still having a cohesive plot.

This show is definitely style (and heart) over substance in the best possible way.
:yeah:

There was just something undeniable about this ragtag trio of nobodies and the people they came up against that I couldn't help but to follow up with them every week.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Nanigans posted:

Well said. I never expected this show to.follow Joe religious or even live up to it's peaks, because the original is 10 times the length. This was a celebration of the Joe ethos and style and with that in mind I'd say I'm satisfied with this show

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Zun cha cha. Zun cha cha. :unsmith:

Was that a full grown wolf on joe’s lap?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Billzasilver posted:

Zun cha cha. Zun cha cha. :unsmith:

Was that a full grown wolf on joe’s lap?

That was Yuri's husky, now fully grown.

I hope Shirato starts designing robot legs...:smith:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I honestly thought that was Yukikos ultimate endgame given the amount of cripples in the show but it went absolutely nowhere

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
what a wonderful show, capped off with a big sappy ending. joe! joe! joe!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Great show, one of the best I've seen in recent years. So much awesome design to savour.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

Nanigans posted:

Ping Pong is shorter and does more in literally every way. I still enjoyed the show a lot but it started out looking like a 10 and ended as like a 7.5 or an 8. They dropped the ball with Shirato big time, and most of the social examination stuff vanished more or less. The show even came away as glorifying an insanely violent sport as some sort of wonderful place for Men to express themselves.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i ended up watching it, it was good, but as others have said lacking in some other areas it could have covered. i feel no compunction to watch the original series

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

I still enjoyed the show a lot but it started out looking like a 10 and ended as like a 7.5 or an 8.

:same:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
the fights loving ruled

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

The show even came away as glorifying an insanely violent sport as some sort of wonderful place for Men to express themselves.
I mean, it's just boxing with somewhat extraneous cybernetics...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

I mean, it's just boxing with somewhat extraneous cybernetics...

And with most of the modern boxing safety procedures removed. This is very specifically boxing as (even more of) a bloodsport.

• Locked thread