Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Plutonis posted:

Change the title to Cyborg Jox

^ YES

I don't know anything about cyborg boxing but this show is loving amazing so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

MEGALO BOX

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i really hope that in the next episode there is no boxing and some more world building/exposition

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Given the episode ends with the protagonist about to fight his rival in an illegal boxing match I think you're betting on a junk dog there. Even if the owner turned up I doubt she could stop the match itself or Yuri given he came there on his own.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Yuri just strolls in. Pure hype. I actually didn't expect that kind of payoff in episode 1.

I do expect him to just feel JD out for a few rounds, stop the match, and invite him to Megalonia. That or flatten him instantly.

Akira streaks. Redline junktowns and bet fixing. I'm all over this.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
This was soooo loving good. The OST is amazing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Holy gently caress this show :chanpop: I am so loving hype for the next episode jesus christ

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
"They dont make tombstones for stray dogs" might be the best closing line in anime

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Personal_Nirvana posted:

"They dont make tombstones for stray dogs" might be the best closing line in anime

The impressive thing is that it's a cool badass closer where the message is "My life is basically without value. Let's do this."

It's not bragging. It's just stating that he has nothing to lose.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
This is awesome...I'm in love with how everything looks, especially the old TV at the repair shop. Can't wait for the next episode.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

It's been a while since an episode of anime hasn't left me feeling "Yeah it's good but <disclaimer>". This sure didn't. I have really high hopes for the continuation.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

According to the Sakuga Blog post on the first ep, the production team is deliberately downscaling the show to something like DVD quality and then upscaling it back to HD, which is why it looks like the early-2000s. That's loving amazing.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

an actual dog posted:

According to the Sakuga Blog post on the first ep, the production team is deliberately downscaling the show to something like DVD quality and then upscaling it back to HD, which is why it looks like the early-2000s. That's loving amazing.

The early 00s is the last time period any anime should try to look like frankly

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Oh, hey, Gyoubu is doing the Gear designs. That’s neat. Definitely looking forward to the wild poo poo we’ll see in the tournament now.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah idk. Like they say, it feels more like they're emulating what happened to be the resolution and release quality of shows back then rather than their actual aesthetics as productions. Better transfers benefit cel animation as much as anything, it's not an inherently "low-res" style.

Motto fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 9, 2018

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

GorfZaplen posted:

The early 00s is the last time period any anime should try to look like frankly

While I agree with this sentiment, Megalo Box looks more like an upscale of an old OAV or something to me than the sorta flat shading+washed out colors look that I associate with early 00s anime.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I like the look personally and the first episode caught my attention more than anything has in a while. excited to see where it goes

also I like the ed a lot

RME
Feb 20, 2012

im not really a fan of what this downscaling is doing, and ill even use crt shaders on emulation

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Rewatched.

I love the regulation scanning.

I'm not sure if it's an effect of the downscaling, but their rain game in on point.

Is it just me, or was JD about to run headlong into a bunch of crates and barrels if he hadn't lowsided?

The wrong lens of his goggles gets cracked in the first scene. It's the right lens for the rest of the episode. Maybe it's a hint that the opening scenes are a flash-forward and actually unrelated to getting the bike fixed after?

As for riding on a closed road ... are we gonna find out JD can't read?

If Tiny Sasakuma doesn't show up next episode, I hope he comes up in some later episode out of the blue, just for those who caught the name earlier. The board does change to JD vs Yuri.

Yuri putting on his own gloves is ... odd but badass. You can't really put (laced) boxing gloves on by yourself, but most of these look like velcro wrapped cuffs. I mean wait of course they have the technology :science:

Also Yuri's gloves are massive, which should mean heavier. Heavier gloves are safer for training and whatnot. I doubt that with all this crazy exoskeleton tech they're still using ye olde 12-16oz gloves. It'd be a nice touch if they mention that as why guys don't just paste each other. 20oz gloves tend to be bigger than your head.

It'd be really cool to find out that their gear is designed for safety as much as flashiness. Maybe JD pulling the punch at the end of the first round with Ghetto was actually involuntary.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 10, 2018

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Joe!!!!!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

JOE

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiroPEbyXVQ

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
just started the new episode, god loving drat Junk Dog is the baddest motherfucker

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
can I just say, god loving drat this year has been amazing for anime so far

this and Devilman Crybaby are both solid candidates for greatest anime ever made in my opinion (unless this somehow just utterly falls off a cliff) and it's rare we even get one GOAT-caliber series in a year, let alone two in the loving first half

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

can I just say, god loving drat this year has been amazing for anime so far

this and Devilman Crybaby are both solid candidates for greatest anime ever made in my opinion (unless this somehow just utterly falls off a cliff) and it's rare we even get one GOAT-caliber series in a year, let alone two in the loving first half

A Place Farther than the Universe is even better than Devilman Crybaby. This year's top anime have been exceptional.

Coach Nanbu is in a way worse position than Tange ever got in the original series. The contrast between Megalo's coach and Ashita no Joe's coach is night and day.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Is nanbu even a coach, he done like 1 coachlike thing.

I wanna see what his training regime is like.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he's been coaching joe in the art of throwing the fight

does that count

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

he's been coaching joe in the art of throwing the fight

does that count

Technically, yes.

Also, love the champ's place being out of town in the forest, and his dog being a huskie. Just more for his pet dog setup. He even lives in the yard.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Technically, yes.

Also, love the champ's place being out of town in the forest, and his dog being a huskie. Just more for his pet dog setup. He even lives in the yard.

the OP pretty much hammered the white dog vs black dog imagery

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm kinda mad they stole this show out of Toonami's 2004 lineup so I couldn't see it sooner.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The soundtrack for this series is loving phenomenal.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't believe how good this show looks and sounds.

I adore all the quick cuts and extremely tight shots during exchanges. Makes it feel incredibly intense and claustrophobic. There's barely a single cut where one fighter or the other isn't filling the entire frame.

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

No doubt, this show is the best

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Why the heck doesn't Crunchyroll ever translate insert songs. It feels like missing out on a big part of the scene when you can't understand the lyrics.

Theowulv fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 13, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Theowulv posted:

Why the heck doesn't Crunchyroll ever translate insert songs. It feels like missing out on a big part of the scene when you can't understand the lyrics.

translating songs requires additional licensing agreements with the music producer rather than the anime rights holder, so it's usually more work than it's worth for simulcasts and maybe even catalog titles as well.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Well that sucks.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

this show is hype as gently caress, what the poo poo

Ranzear posted:

Yuri putting on his own gloves is ... odd but badass. You can't really put (laced) boxing gloves on by yourself, but most of these look like velcro wrapped cuffs. I mean wait of course they have the technology :science:

Also Yuri's gloves are massive, which should mean heavier. Heavier gloves are safer for training and whatnot. I doubt that with all this crazy exoskeleton tech they're still using ye olde 12-16oz gloves. It'd be a nice touch if they mention that as why guys don't just paste each other. 20oz gloves tend to be bigger than your head.

It'd be really cool to find out that their gear is designed for safety as much as flashiness. Maybe JD pulling the punch at the end of the first round with Ghetto was actually involuntary.

it'd be cool if they talked about the gears at all, really. i'm kinda confused as to their purpose, since actual boxing already exists without machine-assisted super punches and i don't know why you'd add machine-assisted super punches to it outside of "i want to see a professional get their head literally punched off their shoulders," which just doesn't seem like a sustainable business practice

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ninjewtsu posted:

It'd be cool if they talked about the gears at all, really. i'm kinda confused as to their purpose, since actual boxing already exists without machine-assisted super punches and i don't know why you'd add machine-assisted super punches to it outside of "i want to see a professional get their head literally punched off their shoulders," which just doesn't seem like a sustainable business practice

In episode one Yukiko (Yuri's Owner) mentioned that Megalo Boxing was used as a demonstrator for the Gear technology if I recall, and that the championship was basically a way to show it off even more by putting up an event the whole world would watch. I'm hoping there's demonstrations of the other uses for Gear or it's practical applications at some point too, but Shiratori Industries appears to be using it for practical purposes first and foremost but sponsoring competitive/entertainment events to promote those.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the purpose of the gears is to look cool and make the show visually distinct from regular boxing and idk if they thought about it much beyond those points. they kinda don't make sense when you think about it. at least not for boxing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

il-landier posted:

No doubt, this show is the best

Also, we know he can read now :v:

tsob posted:

In episode one Yukiko (Yuri's Owner) mentioned that Megalo Boxing was used as a demonstrator for the Gear technology if I recall, and that the championship was basically a way to show it off even more by putting up an event the whole world would watch.

I think there's the implication that it took off to such a degree that JD had to obtain any kind of trashy gear he could find just to be able to box at all.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 13, 2018

• Locked thread