Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

monkeytennis posted:

There’s should be in game chat so I can insult you when you win :v:

There were a few choice expletives I had in mind during that game, that’s for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I think the jokers are fine the way they are. A game takes maybe 2 minutes to play at most so I’m not going to rage uninstall if I screw up. If anything I just started being extra careful to read what I typed and I literally have never typoed anything since. Sure sometimes I screw up and misspell something but...

But I only played at a higher level once (knight) and it was brutal so maybe that’s just because I grind Merchants.

Having said that, I can see it might turn people off, but I WAY prefer this to WATCH THE GODDAMN GARDENSCAPES VIDEO FOR MOAR GEMS bullshit that makes me want to blow up the earth.

E: actually what I originally Jokers were going to be was a letter wildcard which I think may be cool too. “OMG I could totally spell ‘sphygmomanometer’ if I only had a goddamn H. Joker time!”

Also it maybe cool to get coin bonuses if you spell long words.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 8, 2018

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Doctor Zero posted:

I think the jokers are fine the way they are. A game takes maybe 5 minutes to play at most so I’m not going to rage uninstall if I screw up. If anything I just started being extra careful to read what I typed and I literally have never typoed anything since. Sure sometimes I screw up and misspell something but...

Having said that, I can see it might turn people off, but I WAY prefer this to WATCH THE GODDAMN GARDENSCAPES VIDEO FOR MOAR GEMS bullshit that makes me want to blow up the earth.

Agree. I hate being interrupted by video ads. I’d be ok with an optional “Watch ads here for more jokers!” but otherwise I think they’re fine as-is

E: monkeytennis!! :arghfist:

E2: I guess MENNONITE is not a word. MONKEYTENNIS:argh:

Doctor Zero posted:

E: actually what I originally Jokers were going to be was a letter wildcard which I think may be cool too. “OMG I could totally spell ‘sphygmomanometer’ if I only had a goddamn H. Joker time!”

Also it maybe cool to get coin bonuses if you spell long words.
Agree. I've lost count of the number of times I had the perfect play but was missing a single letter. And yeah, playing huge words or ones with lots of gnarly letters feels like it should be rewarded. Achievements maybe?

quote:

New glitch - tapping to hurry up the replay of a move that ends the game brought up the losing screen twice. Both cleared after a few moments, but I doubt this is intended behavior.

Gonna see if I can recreate it.
Confirmed using both with AI and three group players. The losing screen popped up each time and required four or five taps, then the second one was behind it and cleared with a single tap.

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 8, 2018

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Seem to be stuck in between moves with kulanah. Game #3053. Note 8, Andriod 8.0.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
def. think some kind of bonus (maybe coins) for making a longish word. Mind you, I guess players could just use a dictionary and cheese that. Are there online things where you say what letters you’ve got and it gives you all the words?

I might look for one so I can beat Darkhorse :angel:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

monkeytennis posted:

def. think some kind of bonus (maybe coins) for making a longish word. Mind you, I guess players could just use a dictionary and cheese that. Are there online things where you say what letters you’ve got and it gives you all the words?

I might look for one so I can beat Darkhorse :angel:

You've beaten me twice in a row you poltroon :colbert:

Digital Apprentice
Apr 3, 2008

marshmonkey posted:

One option might be to create a toggle for a second dialogue pop up displaying the word and asking “are you sure?” before you hit submit again. Functionally that would still be the same thing as waiting to hit the submit button until you have looked at the word to make sure you don’t have typo though.

This would get my vote. On by default, but you can turn it off once you feel comfortable with the way it all works.

marshmonkey posted:

We are not convinced that ANY of the monetization options we have come up with will make us much money, the goal is just for it to make enough to cover the server costs and the work we have put into it so far, plus being able to keep it updated and functional on the store for years.

If you want to keep it F2P you have to avoid being dickish once punters run out of freebies. I’m not sure the current structure falls on the right side of that at the moment. I think the ‘jokers for best word” idea is good, but the current price seems too high. Of course that really depends on what the individual cost of jokers turns out to be, but just a couple to get a hint “feels” right to me.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Suggestion: move the "Play" button so it isn't overlapping the "Go back" button. I know the UI is cramped already, but I often find myself trying out a few words, and then another game sends a notification, and I've accidentally played a word just by muscle memory.

It's not a huge deal, but I think it would prevent some frustration if it could be implemented.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Joker thoughts:
  • I wouldn't mind watching a video to get a few when I run out.
  • I'm quickly getting in the habit of just not having any and therefore not making mistakes, lowering demand.
  • It feels like either I need to double check every word online or I can pay to skip that step.
  • I originally expected them to be a wild card. If it had a limit of 1 per word and X per game it may not unbalance the game towards pay2win too much.
  • If there was one free mistake per game and the rest used Jokers, it wouldn't feel so bad to make a mistake. It would also let me stay lazy towards playing.

For the tournaments:
  • Can we see the top 5/10 as well in some way? Is Captain Cool 3 games or 300 games ahead of me?
  • How are the prizes split between first and second in the group tourney?
  • Can i enter more than one group tourney? Didn't want to try and get kicked out of #SA
  • Does the group tourney end at the same time as the weekly tourney?
  • Are there any prizes for the weekly tourney other than rank?
  • How are ties broken in the weekly tournament? One time I was tied over the hump and I was in the advancing group. Another time I was tied and showing that I wouldn't advance even though the other person was showing they would advance.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Captain Cool posted:

Video ad for a couple of jokers maybe? Cheapskates would just get a scrabble dictionary app I guess, and then you’re back to annoying people for typos.

When I was playing yesterday the treasure chest icon on the game listing screen gave me some jokers when I tapped on it. Not sure whether that's a daily / random thing?

Also, I agree with everyone else who says that jokers should be able to be used as wildcards. That would take care of when I can't spell anything because most of the tiles are A's and O's. Maybe don't let people use them for tiles around the castle though, because that's annoying as hell as is. Or limit 1 per turn. Or even better, limit it to like 5 per match, because that can avoid a pay2win situation.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 9, 2018

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

marshmonkey posted:

The idea was that it’s possible to cheat in conjunction with other people (throwing games) but impossible via single player.

You should make it so coins in multiplayer are gained based on letter values, like Scrabble scores. Maybe point multipliers when you spell longer words / multiple long words in a row, and/or maybe just randomly assign multipliers to certain tiles every turn. So the more / better words someone spells, the more coins. That would at least require effort on the cheaters' parts if they want to throw games, and it would at least have an upside to when you have albatrosses like Q/J/X stuck to your castle.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Some great ideas and feedback. We will figure out what changes & tweaks to get started on tomorrow!

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Went to go look at another game, didn't hit erase enough and left a "T" there, which means the "Back out of game" button was actually the "Play" button and lost the game because I wanted to come back later :(

Congrats NimbleDave!

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Aredna posted:

Went to go look at another game, didn't hit erase enough and left a "T" there, which means the "Back out of game" button was actually the "Play" button and lost the game because I wanted to come back later :(

Congrats NimbleDave!

Out of jokers?

*edit* maybe we shouldn't even let you submit a 1 letter word.

marshmonkey fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 9, 2018

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

DarkHorse posted:

Suggestion: move the "Play" button so it isn't overlapping the "Go back" button. I know the UI is cramped already, but I often find myself trying out a few words, and then another game sends a notification, and I've accidentally played a word just by muscle memory.

It's not a huge deal, but I think it would prevent some frustration if it could be implemented.
Would appreciate this as well.

Weird bug of the day: was backing out of a New Game screen (via Android Back button) and ended up stuck on this screen:

Had to hard-reset the game to fix it. Sadly haven't been able to reproduce it.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

marshmonkey posted:

Out of jokers?

*edit* maybe we shouldn't even let you submit a 1 letter word.
Yeah, out of Jokers for sure.

Was posting out of slight frustration, but more to point out "Play" and "Back a Screen" can be easy to accidentally mix up.

Thinking on the Jokers more - I don't mind needing one if I think it's a word and it turns out that it's not really a word (i.e. I thought GAUSE was a word and it's actually not). However when it's a dumb thing of me clicking something wrong in the UI then it feels punishing to need a joker.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I was all set to take a screenshot in outrage that TITTIES was not a valid word, only to find it was. You got me on that one, guys.

Then I was outraged that the CPU used "Amelia" as a word, but apparently it means "congenital absence of one or more limbs" so I guess I learned something today.

As an aside, would it be too much trouble to have a replay feature, so you can see the progress of the match and all the words that were played?

raditts fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 9, 2018

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Reproducible bugs:

- After finishing a game, press the Android Back button. The game will try to go back to the last game and fail. Afterwards UI buttons like New Game won't work and only hard resetting the game fixes it.
Edit: Same happens anytime you go from a game back to the main screen, the Back button takes you back to the game but the UI will be non-functional.

- On the Results screen at the end of the game, you can use the Android Back button to see the board again. However, the Replay Move button won't do anything.

Edit: I think this can be summed up as "Android Back button fraught with peril". Everytime it takes you to the wrong place it freezes the UI.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 10, 2018

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I took beat the great Captain Cool. All is right in the world!

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I think it’s important to have a time limit. Say 48 hours. If you don’t play your turn in 48 hours the other guy is awarded the game.

Otherwise I can see getting really annoyed at games where the other guy hasn’t logged in in months and the game just stays in my menu. If there is a time limit already, it doesn’t seem to tell me there is one.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

It'd be nice to have an option to skip my turn to shuffle all letters/letters I'm connected to. Sure I might give my opponent a hand up, but I'd rather not deal with ZXWPQ with only an O to complement them, and its more productive then skipping a turn out of spite.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Funso Banjo posted:

I think it’s important to have a time limit. Say 48 hours. If you don’t play your turn in 48 hours the other guy is awarded the game.

Otherwise I can see getting really annoyed at games where the other guy hasn’t logged in in months and the game just stays in my menu. If there is a time limit already, it doesn’t seem to tell me there is one.

There's a 7 day time limit currently.

Along those lines - when the "They played ..." message is too long then the time remaining text wraps on one or both lines. Can grab a screenshot shot if needed. iPhone 7

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Aredna posted:

There's a 7 day time limit currently.

Along those lines - when the "They played ..." message is too long then the time remaining text wraps on one or both lines. Can grab a screenshot shot if needed. iPhone 7

I already have one, thanks though!

Digital Apprentice
Apr 3, 2008
How does one access the new tutorial? Do I have to nuke my current profile to start fresh?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Digital Apprentice posted:

How does one access the new tutorial? Do I have to nuke my current profile to start fresh?

I think you would have to yeah. Except if you're on iOS there isn't a way to nuke your keychain so you're kind of stuck.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Lol at Captain Cool’s new username

I had a legit moment of panic when I saw it

Edit: however, it does tend to crunch the PLAY button so it word wraps to

PL
AY

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 10, 2018

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Sometimes I can make this occur. I think it's timing of when I hit the screen to speed through viewing my opponents move. Has happened in both versions so far.

Digital Apprentice
Apr 3, 2008

eeenmachine posted:

I think you would have to yeah. Except if you're on iOS there isn't a way to nuke your keychain so you're kind of stuck.

Bummer. Might be a good idea to allow someone to replay it so they can give it to someone else to try things out.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Got my points tied to test out on this version and ties look broken for these cases:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Aredna posted:

Got my points tied to test out on this version and ties look broken for these cases:

Do you mean it sorts by alphabet rather than who got there first?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I'm not sure how it sorts. I had another time where I fell on the losing side of the line there.

I just tested changing my name a few times and then doing a re-open of the app and I still showed up above the line.

Perhaps the tiebreaker is the friend code?

Either way - no one is gonna be happy to tie on the line and lose out.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Aredna posted:

Not an empty post. :argh:

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

DarkHorse posted:

Lol at Captain Cool’s new username

I had a legit moment of panic when I saw it

Edit: however, it does tend to crunch the PLAY button so it word wraps to

PL
AY
Yeah I was having some fun with that display glitch

Drynn, I'm not ignoring you, I can't enter a word (match 2581)

Captain Cool fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 10, 2018

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
Yea, I’m not even sure how it sorts ties right now. How do you think it should work? Last person to get that score goes to the top?

empiremonkey
Nov 13, 2005

"You have reach the max number of planes."

Aredna posted:

I'm not sure how it sorts. I had another time where I fell on the losing side of the line there.

I just tested changing my name a few times and then doing a re-open of the app and I still showed up above the line.

Perhaps the tiebreaker is the friend code?

Either way - no one is gonna be happy to tie on the line and lose out.

The current sort is just the order in which the records exist in the database. Which just off the top of my head I think it whoever played a game first will be higher. We'll try and come up with a better way to handle the ties but probably won't get changed before the current tournament ends tomorrow.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
From a user perspective, if I tie at I'd prefer to split the prizes evenly between the people. In the case of a rank promotion, then promoting both people feels fair.

You could make it so that whoever gets the points first wins, but it won't be as clear why I didn't actually pass the person.

FWIW, if you didn't specify a sort tiebreaker, then the database is probably listing them in the order of the first one it sees. However, this behavior is undefined and nondeterministic meaning that it can't be relied on. A table being reindexed or just more records causing a tree rebalancing could change which record it sees first. If your DB supports windowing functions then simply using RANK() OVER (...) to get the records would give you the numbering you need easily. In this case "1,2....,9,10,10,12,13..."

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
If we did add some sort of coin bonus tied to the words you played or even the number of rounds played then it would be granular enough to make ties pretty infrequent.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
As it turns out, adding random friend codes is NOT good for your friends list. Especially if you add codes like 1000.

I can't delete those at all and trying to remove them asked if I wanted to remove other people. Which it happily did. However the bad ones are all still there.

Will probably need someone to manually clear my friends list to fix it - oops!

I'm friend code 10KK if you need to find me in the database.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
My friend code is 10NQ. I'm going to give this game a few more tries but as a super bad speller I would prefer the joker's did something else, and just be told my word is wrong. As it stands it just makes it feel like a game that makes no sense for me to play. I usually play word games to improve my spelling, so I would just go play any other game instead of this.

Unrelated, I really hate fake wood grain and think monitization around different table appearances and stuff like portrait borders like in Words With Friends 2 and such would make me spend $1 (if I were otherwise going to stay with a game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

GenericGirlName posted:

My friend code is 10NQ. I'm going to give this game a few more tries but as a super bad speller I would prefer the joker's did something else, and just be told my word is wrong. As it stands it just makes it feel like a game that makes no sense for me to play. I usually play word games to improve my spelling, so I would just go play any other game instead of this.

Unrelated, I really hate fake wood grain and think monitization around different table appearances and stuff like portrait borders like in Words With Friends 2 and such would make me spend $1 (if I were otherwise going to stay with a game).

We thought the monetization in WWF2 was curious. Have you spent any money in that game? The powerups don't seem that appealing.

• Locked thread