Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I had to reset my phone today. Any way to recover the games I had or do I just start again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empiremonkey
Nov 13, 2005

"You have reach the max number of planes."

rotaryfun posted:

I had to reset my phone today. Any way to recover the games I had or do I just start again?

Did you attach and email address? If so just attach it again and they will pop up.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Nope, I missed that option. oh well, at least you don't seem to be doing a name check so I was able to change my nickname back.

Anyone with a rotaryfun game going can just let it die as I'm no longer on that device.

Updated friend code is 10QT

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

eeenmachine posted:

We thought the monetization in WWF2 was curious. Have you spent any money in that game? The powerups don't seem that appealing.

I haven't spent money in WWF2 on a border because it works out to $25 for one border. But if it did a "wow look you're new at the game! Pay $1-5 for X coins!" And it was the cost of a fancy border I would have done it because I knew I was going to spend at least two weeks playing it multiple times a day.

I'll make another post tonight in this thread with my feelings on monetization in small(in the sense of scope of game play) F2P mobile games. I try to go out of my way to "tip" in games like these so I've got specific things that make me not ever tip (twodots, alphabear) and games where I've "tipped" multiple times (Homescapes, Leap day).

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Why can’t I play bellini?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Bronze II. Woo.

This game is pretty great so far.

Edit:

https://imgur.com/a/nB4rO

*exaggeratedly tugs at his collar*

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 11, 2018

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Had a crash after I played a not-word. When I came back in it told me the NPC played an invalid word (in red) and then the NPC played a word.

Also if you're gonna filter words out of your dictionary to be clean then you may also consider checking for bad words spelled on the screen from letters. I've had CUM and FAG spelled on my screen in a perfect row already. Probably more important than not letting people play them. Just a matter of time until it's super offensive to someone.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

monkeytennis posted:

Why can’t I play bellini?

I'm not sure why that isn't a Scrabble word...

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://imgur.com/a/WfSHd

No vowels on the board at all. :smith:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
There definitely needs to be something to remix letters, once you're full of Qs and Xs you're boned.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Downloaded it and immediately played for almost 45 minutes straight, I'm hooked. No crashes on my Pixel 2 so far. The only "bug" I would say I've encountered is that some proper nouns seem to be okay while others aren't, so I've just started playing it safe and using none at all unless I really can't find anything else.

As far as Jokers go, I haven't even used one yet so I can't really say it's a bad system. I've never used an IAP in any phone game I've played though so I'm probably not the target audience for that part. I see people in this thread commenting about misspellings but for me that's mitigated by double checking before I mash submit :shrug:

Friend code is 10RG if anyone wants to play.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!
I’d love to see a dictionary feature for previously played words so I don’t have to keep looking up what words mean. (Or a pop-up or the definition when it gets played.) My opponents are way smarter than me apparently.

Also, what are the odds of my non-Goon friend getting a beta invite? :allears:

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gary the Llama posted:

Also, what are the odds of my non-Goon friend getting a beta invite? :allears:

Sure, just have them fill out the same form.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

On that note I don’t know what you have in mind for statistics but being able to see words played or even just the longest or top 5 historically would be cool.

Also solo won/loss and versus win/loss would be cool

Also i want to record I was once NUMBER ONE. It will never ever happen again.

It helps if you play right after the reset. :smug:

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008

Captain Monkey posted:

https://imgur.com/a/WfSHd

No vowels on the board at all. :smith:

I had the exact same thing. Apparently 'mm' is a word

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I had an idea last night and it's probably a dumb idea but I'd still thought I'd suggest it:

I thought that if a move is made that ends the match, the opponent should have a chance to counter, in that if they can spell a longer word using the same letters, they block the move. Of course after that the attacker has a chance to counter that if they can make an even longer word with the same letters.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
Some people are starting matches with me out of the blue after the update. Am I on their friend list even though they aren't on mine?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Captain Cool posted:

Some people are starting matches with me out of the blue after the update. Am I on their friend list even though they aren't on mine?

Yea, I think people are adding you based on being matched up in the group then tapping on your avatar and getting your friend code.

Might be in there for dev purposes, but not sure we should let people see other's friend codes during a game? I suppose it would be easy to harass someone who pissed you off by adding them and starting a billion games.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

marshmonkey posted:

Might be in there for dev purposes, but not sure we should let people see other's friend codes during a game? I suppose it would be easy to harass someone who pissed you off by adding them and starting a billion games.
I don't have a problem with adding people after being matched with them. But I expected to see a request that would put them on my list too. Then I could remove them if they were harassing me.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
There are definitely some bugs in the letter spawning that I need to work out!

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
We filtered the word list the bots use, so let us know if the bots play a word that you feel might be offensive.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Genuinely curious. Is having naughty words a huge concern?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
For the bots it is, we don't want the bots to play mean / offensive / racist stuff.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Ah yeah. I can see that. I can’t help but wonder if the bot is trying to tell me something when it keeps playing “idiot”. :laugh:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Ah yeah. I can see that. I can’t help but wonder if the bot is trying to tell me something when it keeps playing “idiot”. :laugh:

Yeah, I'm not sure if its letter generation or just how common some letters/combos are, but there are definitely words I've seen really frequently.

I played a ton of games in the past couple days, great game so far!

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

You can probably ignore groups with only 1 member.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
So the jump in difficulty from Merchant to Knight is kinda ridiculous; my games go from being able to curb stomp the AI in 10 rounds to a 37 round ordeal.

Also, there’s still that bug about the AI seizing up if you play an invalid word and then skip the joker.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

The rules of the game seem to sometimes change whenever I am in low battery mode on my Pixel 2. When I press a letter, letters next to it become grayed out like an opponent's tile would and I'm unable to use it. Basically makes it so I can't use any letters next to each other.

duckfarts posted:

So the jump in difficulty from Merchant to Knight is kinda ridiculous; my games go from being able to curb stomp the AI in 10 rounds to a 37 round ordeal.

Also, there’s still that bug about the AI seizing up if you play an invalid word and then skip the joker.

The wizard is absolutely ridiculous. I've played it 3 times and in each one I lost only a few turns in because my turn created the exact letters they needed to snake some really long word through the one opening I have and straight to my king. I don't know if it's weighted to do that for them or if the lower level bots just don't play those words and I'm too dumb to see them myself.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Danyull posted:

The rules of the game seem to sometimes change whenever I am in low battery mode on my Pixel 2. When I press a letter, letters next to it become grayed out like an opponent's tile would and I'm unable to use it. Basically makes it so I can't use any letters next to each other.

The wizard is absolutely ridiculous. I've played it 3 times and in each one I lost only a few turns in because my turn created the exact letters they needed to snake some really long word through the one opening I have and straight to my king. I don't know if it's weighted to do that for them or if the lower level bots just don't play those words and I'm too dumb to see them myself.

The key to all the AIs is to rush them hard. I can win Merchants in like 5-10 turns a decent chunk of the time, and I once blitzed a wizard to death pretty quickly. They're really really good at board control so you have to account for that.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Danyull posted:

Wow battery saver mode totally breaks things! Thanks for the heads up!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

eeenmachine posted:

Wow battery saver mode totally breaks things! Thanks for the heads up!

Would love the background on this bug once you fix it.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Klungar posted:

Would love the background on this bug once you fix it.

https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/issues/1556

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

duckfarts posted:

My brother in law said the same thing. Was frustrated with the single player that he just stopped trying.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I felt like it was a pretty large jump as well. After playing goons a bit it didn't feel as crazy, but I noted somewhere above it's still way more efficient for me to just fly through Merchant wins than to battle it out vs. the Knight.

I mean, I can beat the Merchant in round 3 sometimes. It looks like my average win is in 8 rounds this rime around.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Yeah beating the hard AIs is basically about rushing them hard so they're always on the defense (if their crown is open they'll immediately try to cover it) and hope they don't get easy letters.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I’ve experienced the same thing. If I can’t rush the knight, I’ll spend about ten rounds surrounding him over and over until it gets a lucky letter distribution and makes a breakaway, then it becomes a long slow slog and eventually a bunch of x, q, and z’s pile up and I’m constantly playing defense and then lose after about 50-60 turns.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Out of interest I played a knight AI while using a scrabble solver, and even playing "perfectly", the game dragged out to 13 rounds as the AI just barely covered its core every turn.

I've noticed this in vs player games too, that the game ends up drawn out. Probably need some way to not make it roll of the dice till the defender gets "zqr" on their crown ring.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I was thinking, could we have one “wild” token per game on the crown tile? I’ve lost track of how often I have several perfect plays but I’m one letter short on every word I can think of.

If you want to integrate the jokers, maybe allow players to get more wildcards by spending them but limited to one per turn and X per game

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Really.

All right, I’ll try your dumb hint thing.

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

duckfarts posted:

Really.

All right, I’ll try your dumb hint thing.

what

Hmmm, this shouldn't still be happening... MM is a word but we thought we changed it to require at least one vowel.

• Locked thread