Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I think the games getting drawn out to more and more difficult letter choices probably has a lot to do with how we decide to spawn new letters?

It would also be easy to tweak the chances of how often the bot will play a long word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

marshmonkey posted:

I think the games getting drawn out to more and more difficult letter choices probably has a lot to do with how we decide to spawn new letters?

It would also be easy to tweak the chances of how often the bot will play a long word.

Just reducing how many of the same letter can spawn at a time would help, I've had like 5 A's or six I's a number of times.

Of course that also makes it harder to spell words with lots of doubled and tripled letters in them. So its a balance.

Edit: we can't start multiple games with the same person now? That's a huge bummer. My wife and I liked having 2-3 games open at a time. Bad change. :smith:

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 13, 2018

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
Just a heads up, we tweaked the shape of the board in the latest update (removed some tiles around the edges). You might see some weirdness in games you have going already with those tiles disappearing or reappearing until everyone is on the latest version and we start new games.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
Any thoughts about the new board shape? We basically just removed the far corner tiles.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
edit: well I was wrong apparently I hadn't started a new game with the new wall size and was just playing already existing games. I like it. Feels a lot more aggressive.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 17, 2018

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

marshmonkey posted:

Any thoughts about the new board shape? We basically just removed the far corner tiles.

Those tiles only ever provided a few extra letters, since your opponent would have to already be capturing your crown to use them, so I haven’t missed them.

It might have been neat to have another layer behind the base to try and surround/capture from behind, but i think it would make the board too unwieldy

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

:argh: Captain Cool

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Are people using dictionaries? I don’t but does that put me at a disadvantage ?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I'll sometimes check a word once I've already spotted it, if I'm uncertain (burnt too many times by things not in the scrabble dictionary) but wouldn't use a dictionary/solver for finding words out of letters.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Conot posted:

I'll sometimes check a word once I've already spotted it, if I'm uncertain (burnt too many times by things not in the scrabble dictionary) but wouldn't use a dictionary/solver for finding words out of letters.

Same, I’ve been hit with things I know are words but I guess meet the definition of proper nouns, but sometimes there are proper nouns that have some obscure other meaning that qualifies them. So if I’m losing I’ll sometimes run it past the scrabble dictionary just to be sure.

It’s not like there’s a restrictive time limit, and you can tap out lots of letters for prefixes and suffixes to see what you’re left with.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Yeah I definitely look up spellings and things I’m not sure of but I was talking about solvers.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
BALUT is totally a (disgusting) thing! :argh:

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

marshmonkey posted:

We filtered the word list the bots use, so let us know if the bots play a word that you feel might be offensive.
I've seen 'dildos' and 'goddam'

SupSuper posted:

:argh: Captain Cool
I fully expected to lose a turn there but had to give it a shot

Conot posted:

I'll check words against bots to even the field a little. They're not exactly bound by the Scrabble dictionary though. (Zex? Starr?)

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Captain Cool posted:

I've seen 'dildos' and 'goddam'

Thanks! I'll check on those.

Our dictionary is not identical to the Scrabble dictionary, but it works to use it for most cases of "is this a word / why is this allowed"

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

marshmonkey posted:

Thanks! I'll check on those.

Our dictionary is not identical to the Scrabble dictionary, but it works to use it for most cases of "is this a word / why is this allowed"

Not an offensive one, but I was about to lose a game and decided to play BLAWN (because why not) and apparently it was accepted? :confused:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

If there's one thing about this game that frustrates me, it's if you can't build up a good fortification within the first 2-3 rounds, you're pretty much hosed once your area merges with your opponent's unless you can pull off a nice long word to negate your opponent's progress and make up ground. If you start with a Q/X/J surrounding your castle, forget about it.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Word list is nice, but might as well compress it to the same row.

If you want to keep up with who goes first, just have the first row be only the player that went first and every other row have two. Or have a like P1/P2 above the names or something.

I still get crashes on iPhone sometimes. Consistently if I have a match open, leave for a few hours, then swap back in. Seems related to trying to refresh the game the first time I go in.

At some point I think the NPC called me a WHORE but that could have been one of you devs that did it, too.

Is there a way to pick that I want to open words in Chrome instead of Safari? I pretty much only use Safari when it's opened by unchangeable default from an app, like in this case.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

DarkHorse posted:

Not an offensive one, but I was about to lose a game and decided to play BLAWN (because why not) and apparently it was accepted? :confused:

It’s in the scrabble dictionary.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
The letter gen algo seems a bit odd in a way that it could be used in strategy sometimes.

For example, if a rare letter (QZJX) is on the board I won't get another. But if it's been sitting there a long time and then gets used one will show up the next time my opponent plays. No double letters means I'll never get to play JAZZ.

It also seems like when there are low vowels that it's rare to get the same vowel twice in a row. So if there's an I and either N or G on the board it's in my best interest to use the I and stop my opponent from ever getting ING.

Could be cognitive bias as I haven't tracked anything in detail - but if there is something there it could almost give an impression of the game being unfair when one player knows that and takes advantage of it.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Aredna posted:

The letter gen algo seems a bit odd in a way that it could be used in strategy sometimes.

For example, if a rare letter (QZJX) is on the board I won't get another. But if it's been sitting there a long time and then gets used one will show up the next time my opponent plays. No double letters means I'll never get to play JAZZ.

It also seems like when there are low vowels that it's rare to get the same vowel twice in a row. So if there's an I and either N or G on the board it's in my best interest to use the I and stop my opponent from ever getting ING.

Could be cognitive bias as I haven't tracked anything in detail - but if there is something there it could almost give an impression of the game being unfair when one player knows that and takes advantage of it.

I haven’t noticed the rare letter thing, and I’ve seen two z’s on the same board as well.

One weird graphical bug I’ve seen is that sometimes, when I first open the app, tapping the game board letters won’t turn blue but instead a light gray color. Sometimes they’ll eventually turn blue, like a subroutine finally getting called.

Gavinvin
Jan 3, 2013

Ambition is not a dirty word. Piss on compromise. Go for the throat.
I'm keen to try this but it says its not available in my country (New Zealand), are you able to PM me a link to the APK or something?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I’m having an issue where I’ll start a game that never gets joined, though I can join others’ games fine. I can even start multiple games within the same group.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

DarkHorse posted:

I’m having an issue where I’ll start a game that never gets joined, though I can join others’ games fine. I can even start multiple games within the same group.

Hmmmm, there should be a client side check for that.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

eeenmachine posted:

Hmmmm, there should be a client side check for that.

It’s worked for me in the past. I just tried again and it won’t let me make a new one, but I’ve still got two in my queue.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
Just a heads up that v 1.0 has propagated to the normal app store for normal people.

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1312929703

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nimblebit.wordsroyale

for iOS you can just delete the Test Flight version and download the official version, all your game data will carry over.

for Google Play I don't think you need to do anything.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

marshmonkey posted:

Just a heads up that v 1.0 has propagated to the normal app store for normal people.

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1312929703

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nimblebit.wordsroyale

for iOS you can just delete the Test Flight version and download the official version, all your game data will carry over.

for Google Play I don't think you need to do anything.

Nice! Congrats on the new app. Best of luck with it!

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart
Awesome! Loving it so far. Except that your stupid dictionary screwed me over when wordfighting against my wife.

:911:

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Erogenous Beef posted:

Awesome! Loving it so far. Except that your stupid dictionary screwed me over when wordfighting against my wife.

:911:

Glad you are enjoying it together!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Didn’t you guys add a requirement for at least one vowel? I just had a game where the available letters were C H R M M P J L G Q R - I’d show a picture but I’m on Mobile and Awful App isn’t uploading from library.

(I knew from past posts that MM was acceptable)

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

DarkHorse posted:

Didn’t you guys add a requirement for at least one vowel? I just had a game where the available letters were C H R M M P J L G Q R - I’d show a picture but I’m on Mobile and Awful App isn’t uploading from library.

(I knew from past posts that MM was acceptable)

Yeah, it always adds a vowel on the client but I think there is a bug we can't track down that fails to add a vowel on the server turns.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Got a glitched game. It says Bl1tzor has played MAIDS but it won’t let me interact with the board. If I look at the word history it says I played 22222

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
Speaking of 2s I broke a wizard today

• Locked thread