Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

If City lose all their remaining matches, they still have a champions league spot. If they win against United, the red half of Manchester will never hear the end of it.

First is settled. The rest of the top four are within four points of each other, Spurs going above Liverpool if they win their game in hand. Chelsea look set to be best of the rest, and if they beat Southampton in the FA Cup semifinal, Seventh-placed Burnley are the likely beneficiaries of a place in the Europa league.

Relegation is still too close to call, pick two from seven or eight to go down with the Albion. This possibly includes the other Albion, given their run-in includes the entirety of the top four and Burnley.

Key matches:

Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th April play host to the Manchester, Merseyside and Midtable London Derbies, with the former possibly deciding the title.

Saturday 14th of April sees the Seagull-Eagle Derby between Palace and Brighton, with both teams deep in the mire. At the other end of the table, Manchester City visit Tottenham Hotspur, who as of the time of writing haven't lost in the league since their last meeting, and who have a habit of avenging defeats as seen against Arsenal, Manchester United and most recently Chelsea. (The only other team who might do the double over them are Leicester City.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The current form stats for the top four, holey moley.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I totally forgot that Burnley was in the Premier League. :jerry:

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
My god I didn’t realize Arsenal were 13 points behind spurs lmao

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

blue footed boobie posted:

My god I didn’t realize Arsenal were 13 points behind spurs lmao

It's real bad OP.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I hope Manchester City lose all their games but they probably won't. It would be pretty funny if they did!

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Pretty amazing that four teams might hit 80 points this season. Even more so when 3 of them are no where near the title.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I hope Burnley pass Arsenal

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Saido Berahino continuing to make the case that he's the best signing ever made by getting banished to the u23s. He turned up late to training twice in three days, once on Saturday for the final session before the Arsenal game, and again on Monday when he was late for an u23 game that he was supposed to play in to raise his fitness. It's over 2 years since he scored a competitive goal.

He joins Kevin Wimmer who has also been banished to the u23s for being massively unfit and really wank. Ibrahim Affelay has been told to stay away from the club completely for "insubordination".

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

It's real bad OP.

Loving every moment of it, to be honest. Et ceterum censeo Arsenal delenda est.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
This Guardiola/Raiola/Pogba argument is great.

I especially like all the UK hacks having a meltdown because Di Marzio doesn't give a gently caress about news embargos.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i have no idea wtf you're talking about

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

https://twitter.com/samuelluckhurst/status/982286581837873160
https://twitter.com/samuelluckhurst/status/982287197494829056
https://twitter.com/samuelluckhurst/status/982294755987013632

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I hate everything about this

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Jose posted:

Ok so Raiola (super agent who represents Pogba/Ibrahimovic etc) and Guardiola don't like each other because Ibrahimovic had a bad time at Barcelona. Like a week ago Raiola went on this crazy rant where he called Guardiola a coward and a dog and that he tried to attack him after the 2011 CL final but got held back by Galliani (Milan chairman). In Guardiola's press conference today someone asked him about Raiola and Guardiola said something like 'lol if I suck so much how come you tried to get City to buy Pogba and Mkhitaryan in January?'. Obviously this is pretty interesting news so it got embargoed like all the good stories do until this evening but Di Marzio (Italian football news guy who breaks tons of stories) just ignored that so all the UK hacks got mad at him on twitter. They all hate Di Marzio because everyone on twitter worships him for breaking news all the time while they get laughed at for writing rubbish.

Oh yeah and Pogba has done a post on instragram I think acting like this is the first he's heard of this but idk, Mkhitaryan did get sold in January and something hasn't been right between Pogba and Mourinho for a while now so I think Guardiola is probably telling the truth and this is only partly some mindgame to disturb United before the derby tommorow.

Lot 49 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 6, 2018

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

I miss the old days when football drama would just be about someone doing a big racism, or Frank Lampard and Jonathan Creek having a slapfight

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I love that any football journo would get annoyed at this when 90% of their job consists of inventing transfer rumours for clickbait.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
What do they mean by embargoed? Like, everyone just agreed not to report some interesting stuff Pep said at a press conference?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

blue footed boobie posted:

What do they mean by embargoed? Like, everyone just agreed not to report some interesting stuff Pep said at a press conference?

Yeah wtf lol

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

So something said at a press conference is not allowed to be reported by the press? I'm not following.

https://twitter.com/JBurtTelegraph/status/982290959848189952

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Managers give to press conferences, one public and one private, which usually gets embargoed until the Saturday papers go to print around 10:30pm. It's been going on for years and Di Marzio has probably hosed himself in England by breaking it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lot 49 posted:

Oh yeah and Pogba has done a post on instragram I think acting like this is the first he's heard of this but idk, Mkhitaryan did get sold in January and something hasn't been right between Pogba and Mourinho for a while now so I think Guardiola is probably telling the truth and this is only partly some mindgame to disturb United before the derby tommorow.

Speaking of which, Mkhitaryan was interviewed recently and said he jumped at the chance of moving to Arsenal because Mourinho "didn't let him play attacking football" and he wanted to play for "an attacking team again".

Normally that might just be sour grapes but when we also consider the baffling mystery of a roster of world class attacking players slowly turning to poo poo during Mourinho's stint, it kinda seems likelier to be true.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Pogba's hair color tells the real story here

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I’m glad to be missing the match as it will just make me sad

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

He just... tweeted it out...

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Bape Culture posted:

He just... tweeted it out...

IT WAS EMBARGOED HE'S A MONSTER

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
https://twitter.com/ncustisTheSun/status/982329137812656128

They all hate him so much and have done for a while. It's great.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Someone get that Italian guy an account here. I hope he tweets all the embargoed things.

Remember they were all having a cry because arsenal tweeted a picture of ozil at someone who'd rinsed the team before the NLD

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lot 49 posted:

I loving loved UK press trying to alpha Di Marzio into taking the tweets down and Di Marzio not giving a gently caress.

https://twitter.com/JBurtTelegraph/status/982283491692998657

https://twitter.com/hirstclass/status/982282132319100928

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

EvilHawk posted:

Managers give to press conferences, one public and one private, which usually gets embargoed until the Saturday papers go to print around 10:30pm. It's been going on for years and Di Marzio has probably hosed himself in England by breaking it.

Why two press conferences, and why is it embargoed though?

Is this to give the national newspapers some exclusive news for their Saturday edition?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Imagine a tabloid hack getting a cob on about that

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

This embargo thing is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard of.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

wooger posted:

Why two press conferences, and why is it embargoed though?

Is this to give the national newspapers some exclusive news for their Saturday edition?

I believe so.

Like this isn't a new thing and I'm amazed you lot haven't heard of it before. Have you not noticed how the national papers always drop stuff at around the same time every night? Embargos are super common in journalism and have been around forever.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Di Marzio is the only journalist worth following during the transfer windows if you're actually concerned with facts. Literally the only one. I'm glad he's pissing every one off.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

EvilHawk posted:

I believe so.

Like this isn't a new thing and I'm amazed you lot haven't heard of it before. Have you not noticed how the national papers always drop stuff at around the same time every night? Embargos are super common in journalism and have been around forever.

I’m aware of them in situations where a business doesn’t want something announced before a certain date - e.g. new iPhone reviews. And they trade future access for this compliance from journalists.

It is obvious that newspapers always want to release stuff in line with their print publishing schedule, so they’re not scooped, but that’s pointless these days surely? I’ve never heard of this being due to an embargo, just the fact they all don’t want to make their print versions more irrelevant that they already are.

Who is imposing the embargo, and why would anyone comply with it?

Why do the premier league and clubs go along with this practice? I don’t see any benefit for them ( and it’s gotta be extra hassle to hold two press conferences ).

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I get that journalists want (need?) their embargo but it seems real dumb to be tweeting Di Marzo to take it down. It's on Twitter, it's gonna be everywhere, taking it down wouldn't do a thing, are these guys from the stone age

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Lot 49 posted:

Look at this from a professional loving "journalist"

I'm now remembering the time that Van Gaal addressed Custis as "you, over there, fat man", and doing lots of lols

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
It's a gentleman's agreement! He's betrayed his fellow guildsmen, the knave!

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

wooger posted:

I’m aware of them in situations where a business doesn’t want something announced before a certain date - e.g. new iPhone reviews. And they trade future access for this compliance from journalists.

It is obvious that newspapers always want to release stuff in line with their print publishing schedule, so they’re not scooped, but that’s pointless these days surely? I’ve never heard of this being due to an embargo, just the fact they all don’t want to make their print versions more irrelevant that they already are.

Who is imposing the embargo, and why would anyone comply with it?

Why do the premier league and clubs go along with this practice? I don’t see any benefit for them ( and it’s gotta be extra hassle to hold two press conferences ).

It is voluntary but it's to prevent newspapers from gazumping each other, having to go to print earlier and earlier etc. etc.

These days yeah it's a bit pointless with Twitter and social media but print journalism is nothing if not old-fashioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

EvilHawk posted:

It is voluntary but it's to prevent newspapers from gazumping each other, having to go to print earlier and earlier etc. etc.

These days yeah it's a bit pointless with Twitter and social media but print journalism is nothing if not old-fashioned.

Well, if they are going to try to enforce it, to be practical they need to only allow UK print newspaper journalists in the room during the 2nd press conference.

Or they could just forget about it, publish press conference details instantly online and focus on longer form, worthwhile, considered articles for their newspapers.

For the subset of people who care enough to follow football journalist on twitter, I doubt many are eagerly buying a newspaper anyway.

I can’t believe there’s any overlap.

• Locked thread