Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

sebzilla posted:

It's almost as if "best" isn't an objective measure of footballers and there are many attributes that people might weight differently? I dunno though give it to the guy with the biggest numbers.

Or give it to Mo Salah, since he's obviously the best player? Professional footballers who've played against him can see it, why can't you?

kcer posted:

do you know how the PFA best player award is decided?

e: hell, do you even know what the PFA is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Why do they do the award so early? Wouldn't you wait until maybe the last game? Seems odd, especially if players were literally neck and neck in perception of quality and there is still 4-5 games to play.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

T Bowl posted:

Why do they do the award so early? Wouldn't you wait until maybe the last game? Seems odd, especially if players were literally neck and neck in perception of quality and there is still 4-5 games to play.

Wasn’t it decided in like January or something insane? I seem to remember we run into this controversy every time.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

Wasn’t it decided in like January or something insane? I seem to remember we run into this controversy every time.

I think they vote in February or something dumb like that.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
the first couple games this year Mo missed a bunch of complete sitters

1) my thought at the time is "oh god another ryan babel"

2) he'd have like 50 goals if he'd put those in

also I really love watching de bruyne and I think he's gonna win best player at the World Cup as a consolation for missing out on this prestigious award

also I really like that both of these guys seem to be genuinely Good Dudes

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah Salah’s early games made me hopeful he would be a wasteman but he in fact owns. Which sucks.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This was voted on in February but Salah has pretty much gotten even better since then, hasn't he?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
So theoretically a team could be languishing in 4th in February, strike an amazing run fronted by a striker who finds form and becomes prolific and bangs in maybe 10-15 goals in a few months and somehow wins them the title yet loses out player of the year because someone else was better for the first 2/3 of the season?

heh.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
It's almost as if the award is meaningless.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Vegetable posted:

This was voted on in February but Salah has pretty much gotten even better since then, hasn't he?

I'm not quite sure on the dates but I think the voting was done around about the time of the four goal game against Watford

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's based on form over like six weeks before the vote.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

julian assflange posted:

Yeah Salah’s early games made me hopeful he would be a wasteman but he in fact owns. Which sucks.

Well don't worry, he'll be in Barcelona or Madrid soon enough!

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Paul Lambert's sterling record of 1 win in 12 looks like its going to keep him in the job for next season. The chairman has just backed him in the local press.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Meat Wagon posted:

Paul Lambert's sterling record of 1 win in 12 looks like its going to keep him in the job for next season. The chairman has just backed him in the local press.

A public vote of confidence, that's always a good sign.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Meat Wagon posted:

what about raheem's lambert record???

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Can someone tell me WHY the awards are voted on so early?

Also Salah has been arguably better since they voted so he is moral champion as well as actual champion

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Ewar Woowar posted:

For the same reason that young player of the year is for u23s

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Ewar Woowar posted:

You have to remember in the 1980s you had to get the players out of the pub, get/teach them how to read a letter, get/teach them how to write a letter, and then get/teach them how to post a letter.

Then Royal Mail would take weeks to deliver that letter.

Then the letter would sit in a big pile of letters while a grandma in the back of the FAs offices counted the votes with a blackboard and a half a piece of chalk.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

It's high tech now, it's the same grandma but she has excel open, and a pencil and notepad on her desk that she uses to figure out what numbers to enter in the computer squares.

Also Salah is obviously now the third best player in the world and he deserves this prestigious achievement.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
I love this idea that if only the voting system was better, a load of current and former professional footballers would come to a perfect and objective analysis of My Best Player rather than thinking about it for 5 minutes and writing the first name that comes into their head.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Manc Hill posted:

I love this idea that if only the voting system was better, a load of current and former professional footballers would come to a perfect and objective analysis of My Best Player rather than thinking about it for 5 minutes and writing the first name that comes into their head.

Imagine giving a poo poo who gets voted PFA player of the year

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

fat gay nonce posted:

well this thread seems to be loving obsessed for a bunch of people who apparently don't give a poo poo

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

kcer posted:

well this thread seems to be loving obsessed for a bunch of people who apparently don't give a poo poo

i would literally fight someone over it

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I remember Big Dirk Nowitzki getting the NBA mvp right after losing to an 8 seed in the 1st round that was funny. I think now they do the awards after the entire season is over

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

African AIDS cum posted:

I remember Big Dirk Nowitzki getting the NBA mvp right after losing to an 8 seed in the 1st round that was funny. I think now they do the awards after the entire season is over

American sport MVP's are all based on regular season performance and voted on right at the end of the regular season. The actual announcements all wait until the end of the playoffs now though (or right before the super bowl for the NFL), as far as I know.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

fat gay nonce posted:

Im not into popularity contests for obvious reasons but the best player and u23 is the city keeper

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Breath Ray posted:

Im not into popularity contests for obvious reasons but the best player and u23 is the city keeper

Lots of points deducted for poo poo tattoos though.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

sticksy posted:

This would eliminate all most footballers, I think.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

sticksy posted:

He'd still come out ahead of Leroy Sane

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Cross sport question that's been bugging me.

In the NBA the best teams every year are almost always the ones with the most roster continuity. There are exceptions, but for the most part the good teams that keep most of their roster are the most likely to win the championship.

It doesn't seem like football follows the same trend. City, Liverpool and Man U this year are all pretty good examples of this. Or Chelsea in Mourinho's first session.

Is football different because of tactics or training or something similar? Or is it just because football allows you to add world class players if you have the money vs in the NBA where you usually have to trade someone to get back a star player?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Iirc Leicester used the fewest players when they won the league.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...eague-champions

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Iirc Leicester used the fewest players when they won the league.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...eague-champions

They also weren't in Europe

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

In the NBA the best teams every year are almost always the ones with the most roster continuity. There are exceptions, but for the most part the good teams that keep most of their roster are the most likely to win the championship.

It doesn't seem like football follows the same trend. City, Liverpool and Man U this year are all pretty good examples of this. Or Chelsea in Mourinho's first session.

Is football different because of tactics or training or something similar? Or is it just because football allows you to add world class players if you have the money vs in the NBA where you usually have to trade someone to get back a star player?

The NBA has a very small pool of elite players and a strict salary cap. Success is largely reliant on being able to get one of those elite players. In the draft or clearing out enough cap space to acquire those elite players. Once you have one of those elite players it becomes easier to acquire others because they like to play on winning teams.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

Soccer teams that keep their best players increase their chances of qualifying for Continental competitions and international sides with continuous high-quality core groups enjoy much greater success. Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea, Juventus, Manchester United (mb lol). And Argentina, Chile, Germany, and Spain. It’s not so different on that front.

Otoh, 11 vs 5 players means that any one individual is that much less likely to prove pivotal to a side’s success, and that developing a system that any high-grade player can thrive within is more important than fielding a virtuoso.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
This is what people talk about when they mention the “spine” of a football team. If a side can field the same quality goalkeeper-centerback-central midfielder-striker, it can often bolt on the other parts. (Although the best teams’ focus on width makes at least two excellent wide players a modern necessity, too.)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Reprisal posted:

This is what people talk about when they mention the “spine” of a football team. If a side can field the same quality goalkeeper-centerback-central midfielder-striker, it can often bolt on the other parts. (Although the best teams’ focus on width makes at least two excellent wide players a modern necessity, too.)

And full backs are the most important position in modern football (says Jonathan Wilson) so really that's everything.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

It’s also true, but I’d say that holding on to 90% + of your roster is a given for the top sides, outside a a major manager & regime change or something. This it’s bringing in new talent that makes the most noticeable difference.

You can see the reverse is true for clubs like Southampton who’ve had their best 1 or 2 players leave nearly every year, and are in trouble.

As other posters have said, there are way more good footballers than NBA players, as there are very few humans who are athletic and 6’6”+.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Mané might be injured hahahaha loving kill me :suicide:

Ings and Solanke to start in the CL final book it

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

There is definitely value in keeping footballers together. Xavi and Iniesta were basically a cheat code for Barca and Spain - Messi got most of the accolades but those two playing together was probably the most dominant football pairing that any of us will ever see. Vidic and Ferdinand are another good example - they played far better than the sum of their parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

Mané might be injured hahahaha loving kill me :suicide:

Ings and Solanke to start in the CL final book it

Just wait until Salah gets injured in the league chasing the golden boot

• Locked thread