Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
edit - wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
karius at least looks kind of like a viking or something

...it helps that he hasn't done anything stupid in a couple of weeks

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
big virg is loving legit.

I still think he was too expensive but he is a seriously good player

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
my only gripe is otamendi but that is based largely on watching him play poorly against liverpool.

I enjoyed this ADVANCED STATS quote from the BBC story: "Otamendi has made 2665 successful passes in the Premier League this season, at least 300 more than any other player."

also, when's the last time manu didn't have an outfield player in the team of the year?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i have no idea if patrick viera is a good coach or not but they should hire him

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
the first couple games this year Mo missed a bunch of complete sitters

1) my thought at the time is "oh god another ryan babel"

2) he'd have like 50 goals if he'd put those in

also I really love watching de bruyne and I think he's gonna win best player at the World Cup as a consolation for missing out on this prestigious award

also I really like that both of these guys seem to be genuinely Good Dudes

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

kcer posted:

well this thread seems to be loving obsessed for a bunch of people who apparently don't give a poo poo

i would literally fight someone over it

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Cross sport question that's been bugging me.

In the NBA the best teams every year are almost always the ones with the most roster continuity. There are exceptions, but for the most part the good teams that keep most of their roster are the most likely to win the championship.

It doesn't seem like football follows the same trend. City, Liverpool and Man U this year are all pretty good examples of this. Or Chelsea in Mourinho's first session.

Is football different because of tactics or training or something similar? Or is it just because football allows you to add world class players if you have the money vs in the NBA where you usually have to trade someone to get back a star player?

There is definitely value in keeping footballers together. Xavi and Iniesta were basically a cheat code for Barca and Spain - Messi got most of the accolades but those two playing together was probably the most dominant football pairing that any of us will ever see. Vidic and Ferdinand are another good example - they played far better than the sum of their parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
well

ok

• Locked thread