Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Aw gently caress I thought we were finally getting a Machina date.

Kinda odd they're looking for a guitarist though since I don't think they've ever needed three? When James came back I figured they kept Jeff just because he's a cool guy and talented, but Billy didn't hang up the guitar so all three of them playing was redundant. I assumed that was why Jeff left, since it was a mutual "There's not really anything for me to do now" type of departure, so to learn that they're looking for a replacement is bizarre imo.

Unless James has left again :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
He did an open call to get Mike, so why not do it again?

They’ve been running with 3 guitars for a while now, I think it’s so that they get the live sound to sound a bit more like the albums. They officially don’t have a bassist but Jack Bates plays live for them, and has for years now. It’s weird he hasn’t officially joined.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

The Black Stones posted:

He did an open call to get Mike, so why not do it again?

They’ve been running with 3 guitars for a while now, I think it’s so that they get the live sound to sound a bit more like the albums. They officially don’t have a bassist but Jack Bates plays live for them, and has for years now. It’s weird he hasn’t officially joined.

The minute Billy finds another attractive lady who is susceptible to extreme manipulation Jack is back playing in a pub covers band.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think Jack is the one male bassist Billy's willing to go back to again and again because 1) he worships Jack's dad and 2) because Jack's probably extremely easy to work with.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kingo Ligma posted:

The minute Billy finds another attractive lady who is susceptible to extreme manipulation Jack is back playing in a pub covers band.

This was my first thought as to why he's holding guitarist open auditions despite not needing one.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The Black Stones posted:

They officially don’t have a bassist but Jack Bates plays live for them, and has for years now. It’s weird he hasn’t officially joined.

This reminds me of Sergio Vega parting ways with Deftones because they wouldn't let him be an official member of the band even though he'd toured and recorded albums with them for over a decade. One of my fave bands but it really sucked to see them do him dirty like that :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

:lol: at imagining Billy reading review after review of ATUM and the only take away, to him, is 'synths bad!' and then throwing away his Moogs or whatever he's got.

Dude, I'm destined to forever check out any and all SP releases, it is my lot in life, but c'mon, synths weren't problemo #1. 'Eye' and the majority of Adore were just fine, wonderful even.

You can write and perform 'Hooray Hooray' on guitar.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Hooray is Billy Corgan's legacy work now. Most memorable track on that trainwreck of an album.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I mean I'm not buying the record but I think it's better to write bad music that you want to make and that takes (insane, baffling) chances than bad music that's safe and people expect you to make.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

"not a synth in sight" on the archival release makes me think it might be Djali Zwan

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I bet it's more early live shows.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Billy posted:

I do hope that amidst what is a turbulent time in the world politic; culturally, spiritually, politically and the like you are taking time out to honor yourselves and those you love.

While I appreciate the sentiment, this is one of the worst written sentences I've ever seen. Imagine writing the words "and the like you are taking time" and not reconsidering your phrasing.

Edit: I'm also bummed that the lesson he learned from ATUM was that we don't like synths. I think Billy tells himself stories about why his various projects don't turn out to be huge hits. I wish he'd just make whatever music he wants and we could make fun of it appropriately.

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 15, 2024

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Billy's always written like that. I used to think it was just flowery and pretentious but now I wonder if it's a learning disorder on top of being pretentious.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

being flowery and pretentious only works when you have mean distorted guitars heavily layered over your vocals, and he doesn't do that anymore

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Seaniqua posted:

While I appreciate the sentiment, this is one of the worst written sentences I've ever seen. Imagine writing the words "and the like you are taking time" and not reconsidering your phrasing.

Edit: I'm also bummed that the lesson he learned from ATUM was that we don't like synths. I think Billy tells himself stories about why his various projects don't turn out to be huge hits. I wish he'd just make whatever music he wants and we could make fun of it appropriately.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the sentence, while not great, makes sense to me. If he had put in commas or brackets, maybe that would've helped if be clearer.

What Billy Should Have posted:

I do hope that amidst what is a turbulent time in the world politic (culturally, spiritually, politically, and the like etc), you are taking time out to honor yourselves and those you loved.

I mean, that's how I read it :shrug:

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Seaniqua posted:

The obvious lesson he should have taken was that the vocals need to be even louder in the mix. Hell, while your getting rid of the synths get rid of the rest of the instruments too and have an entire orchestra of Billy mouth sounds

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

And while it's obviously expected, I do love the extreme Corgan ness of the sentiment "we're still looking for a new guitarist PS I just finished recording all the guitars for the new album".

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I bet it's more early live shows.

Six months or so ago Billy was doing an interview about how his wrestling company is doing fine and how even if it wasn't he owns his music so he can just license it or sell it if he has to. As his wrestling company does worse and worse I was wondering if he might start putting out more archival stuff to fund it. So if you like live stuff (without synths) thank wrestling, maybe.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The biggest:

Was Billy bringing out the wrestlers during this current tour and doing some moves during some song.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I saw a show they did early on during the Teargarden era where a wrestler came out to assault him during Disarm and Billy broke the acoustic over his head and they fought for a minute.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Vintersorg posted:

The biggest:

Was Billy bringing out the wrestlers during this current tour and doing some moves during some song.

They set up a ring during some shows so they could film matches in front of an actual crowd and save money for the wrestling company that way.

johncraig
Jul 26, 2023
horrifying embarrassing, I can't imagine

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Judicious, beautiful — uhh — augmented, whatever

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

I saw a show they did early on during the Teargarden era where a wrestler came out to assault him during Disarm and Billy broke the acoustic over his head and they fought for a minute.

that's rad

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Judicious, beautiful — uhh — augmented, whatever

Now there's a turn of phrase I haven't heard in a long time. If I recall correctly, it requires an ability to judge distance.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Billy just really doesn't want to look stupid while he's sleeping.

Also wake me up if the next album is actually a good one (lol) and has guitars and hooks (lmao). Actually, Billy doesn't seem to realise it wasn't the lack of guitars that made the albums not worth listening to. I don't think anyone is hearing Eye and going "gently caress this it hasn't got enough guitars".

I still think Confessions of a Dopamine Addict is a fun song because it reminds me of weird but not bad trips, and the nothing lyrics help that.

I still think it's funny that Shiny was a Vol 1. Billy loves planning big, he's just not great at follow through. He is good at just pivoting and then going "they were the other ones all along!" tho which is very funny.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Cyr was kinda sorta Shiny vol 2 I think, like how Oceania was part of Teargarden.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

syntaxfunction posted:

I don't think anyone is hearing Eye and going "gently caress this it hasn't got enough guitars".

On the other hand though, I'd be down to hear a guitar-heavy version of Eye. I still think the heavy version of Satur9 that was on Machina II was way better than the electronic version on Judas O.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

syntaxfunction posted:

Billy just really doesn't want to look stupid while he's sleeping.

Also wake me up if the next album is actually a good one (lol) and has guitars and hooks (lmao). Actually, Billy doesn't seem to realise it wasn't the lack of guitars that made the albums not worth listening to. I don't think anyone is hearing Eye and going "gently caress this it hasn't got enough guitars".

I still think Confessions of a Dopamine Addict is a fun song because it reminds me of weird but not bad trips, and the nothing lyrics help that.

I still think it's funny that Shiny was a Vol 1. Billy loves planning big, he's just not great at follow through. He is good at just pivoting and then going "they were the other ones all along!" tho which is very funny.

What's worse is I'm fairly sure Billy responded to the criticism of lack of guitars by saying they WERE being used-- I guess it's possible they're just heavily, heavily synth'd out?

Still disappointing to my ears tho.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I wonder which Bill period would be most unbearable to be around. Current model, 90s model, or immediate post pumpkins model.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think fatherhood may have slightly mellowed him out, I'm going with zwan era.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
the era where his sound engineer was posting on here about billy's pyramids of evian and how he would talk at length about hiding his doubloons from obama

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Lol you can't talk about that anymore, there were legal threats.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

"eating chips at the back of the stage while Jeff rips a note perfect version of a solo he wasn't allowed to write or record" is prob my Bill of choice.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Lol you can't talk about that anymore, there were legal threats.

Gooooold Bullion!

Man, I had completely forgotten about that.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

CornHolio posted:

On the other hand though, I'd be down to hear a guitar-heavy version of Eye. I still think the heavy version of Satur9 that was on Machina II was way better than the electronic version on Judas O.

The Soundworks demo of Eye which is just piano is fantastic and I wish there was a studio recording of a more stripped down version like that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's one thing to think about the most annoying Billy but I would MOST want to hang out with late 2008 Billy to see how he went from Catholic Obama Fanboy to LaRouchePAC guy in six months.That Billy sounds like a lot of fun.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What's this now?

Pastichio Medley (and I assume the Gravity demos) are SD2? :thunk:

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Every time he's about to release a.new record doesn't he say something like "this is a direct follow up to Siamese Dream/MCIS and explores the same themes and sounds"? Only to then drop a big CYR shaped turd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think Billy's very bad at assessing his own music.