Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Seaniqua posted:

As long as William's voice is nice and loud, preferably much louder than everything else. I'd like to struggle to hear the drums over him singing some nonsense sound like, "wuh wuh wuh wuh wuh"

Where's Billy Corgan's A Capella? Enough of this poo poo with guitars and stuff. I want all Corgan vocals, all the time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Supposedly Muzzle was planned to be the fifth single, but then Jimmy and Jonathan Melvoin overdosing happened and they wanted to go with a song that had less prominent drums.

It was given a promotional single release, so there's that. Which seems like evidence to support that it was going to be the fifth single.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, I remember hearing Muzzle on the local commercial radio station here for about a week, super excited for what the video was going to be, but then Thirty Three (still a wonderful song) was made the single, and welp.

Trivia! Sarah Mclachlan's song "Angel" is about Melvoin's overdose and death.

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/sarah-mclachlan/angel

I find it funny how many people miss the meeting to "Angel." Everyone just hears that one line in the chorus, and then they dedicate this song to everyone they've ever known who has died. And it's like, do you even hear the other lyrics? "You keep building the lie that you make up for all that you lack?" "You're so tired of the straight life and everywhere you look, there's vultures and thieves at your back?"

But nope, sad song that mentions angels? Got to play it at every funeral.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

It feels like that whole "I'm not liberal or conservative" thing that some people try to do, and ignore that even if Trump had a good idea, the terrible things he did don't magically go away and he still needs to address those things.

How you support using the military on your own people is beyond me. At least Kurt was cool. Are the Foo Fighters still into AIDS denialism?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I'm confused. The Colour of Love doesn't have Billy's vocals so far forward that it sounds like he's singing at the same time a different band is playing.

Did he learn how to mix music?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Cheesus posted:

"Smashing Aumakins ?"

They're embracing the Metal Band Logo where you can't possibly tell it's supposed to be words.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

As far as I know, no. But his family apparently had a lot of drug problems when he was growing up.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Framboise posted:

It's not just the vocals. There was so much more passion in the older stuff. Billy's angst and sadness resonated with a lot of people! Now his only real angst seems to be trolls on social media and it shows.*

Emotion is just as much a paint on the canvas as lyrics are and Cyr as an album is so flat and not dynamic at all. Like, the second half of Mellon Collie goes from rock to metal to pop to straight up loving noise rock and that's just like the first few tracks-- that's not to say that Cyr needed to change genres every track, but each track on Cyr, aside from a couple, sound. The. loving. Same. And Billy sings them in ambiguous melodies that lack any sort of hook at all. The lyrics are as flowery as they have been in the past 20 years or so, but they lack any sort of visceral feel to them whatsoever.

*Also not to say that you have to be angsty to make good music-- but let's not pretend Billy wasn't way loving better when he was.

Take a song like Tonight, Tonight. It's loving visceral. It's a big romantic song that sounds like falling in love - it's bold, it's cinematic, it has a loving orchestra because that's what it needs. You listen to a song like "Colour Of Your Love" - and there's something there, but the execution is flat. Billy's gone from making movies to making sitcoms for Nick at Nite. This should be a song about lost love, but it's just sort of a competent synth-pop song. It doesn't connect with you.

I think the biggest problem is that he doesn't seem to have anything to say anymore. There's nothing that drives it. Listen to a song like Cyr, and ask yourself - what does this mean? It's not nonsense. It's just... there's nothing there. It's impossible to connect with these lyrics. Take someone like Nick Cave - there's something there. It's a very clear feeling you get. Even when he sings his darker stuff, he grabs you because he puts you in a place. Meanwhile, Billy Corgan uses phrases like "maelstrom mouse" because it sounds poetic. He doesn't capture emotions, he doesn't capture places, he doesn't capture moments. He just writes something that sounds poetic, and so you can't really embrace it. Look at Tonight, Tonight again - "Time is never time at all, you can never ever leave without leaving a piece of you." It captures that feeling of being in love. It says something. "The void arrives, then leaves." That just sounds like a first draft written by a bad creative writing major.

Finally, he needs a producer. I think he makes music with a really great potential, but he needs someone else there helping him out. Part of it is that these songs just sound bad. His stuff has had a really cheap sound. It honestly sounds like those K-Tel rerecordings you can find of bands from the 60s. Everything is too clean, and the mix levels are wrong. There's no grit. There's nothing to grab you.

But let me put it this way - if you went to see a Smashing Pumpkins concert and they didn't play anything from after Machina II, just everything from the first part of their career, would you be disappointed? The fact is - Billy is making music with no risk. Maybe that's what he lost. Back in the 90s - he needed to be relevant. Now? Anything he does can be pushed out and forgotten, and it will serve his purpose because he'll always get press because of what he did in the 90s.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I don't even think most fans think there is a story. That would be like Dave Grohl saying "yeah, this album is going to finish out the musical story I told in the Colour and the Shape."

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Reading sheet music, like legitimate sheet music, is almost entirely different from reading tabs, or a series of chord names. Fundamentally they're the same ("read this to learn how and what to play, and when"), but reading the notes on the staves is nothing like looking at guitar tabs. One is "play a G, but maybe it's a G# or Gb, depending on what key you're in, and you should have remembered that from when you started the piece", and the other is "play fret 9 here and here, then slide down to fret 7".

You are almost completely wrong, and I'll let Adam Neely do the talking. https://youtu.be/4X7qgBVnMfY

Also, the flats and sharps are noted at the start of every line in sheet music, so you're not going that far back if you forget what key you're in.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Also what about the original vinyl version?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

This sub is the greatest sub I've ever known, can't wait until dinner, I might not have that long, I'll get some cheese out, before I eat out!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

It is. The only rerelease that had decent art was the adore one, and that was just other photos from the same session and in color. I really hate the gish and siamese dream rerelease covers and I think the mellon collie one really loses something as well (and that was from the original artist!)

Wasn't Mellon Collie just the vinyl version now appended to all versions?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Framboise posted:

Most modern Pumpkins would be tremendously improved if Billy's voice was behind the wall of sound.

Most. I dunno if Cyr can be saved.

The thing is during Mellon Collie, his voice is really pushed back in the mix on a lot of those songs. And it helps make them sound so much more aggressive.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Mellon Collie has its own mix/mastering issues, the lows and low-mids in particular are really blown out but the vocals are really well handled.

I find it really depends on the song. Some songs sound perfectly fine - like Tonight, Tonight. Like Tales From a Scorch Earth definitely has far too little high end.

X.Y.U suffers from the same issue.

That's what I love about the Pumpkins is their range. Mellon Collie has symphonic songs like Tonight, Tonight, it has 80s synth pop (this way via Gary Numan and Depeche Mode) like Love, it has soft ballads like 33, power pop crossed with alternative in 1979, straight ahead alternative with Bullet With Butterfly Wings, aggressive metal like Tales of a Scorched Earth, proggy stuff like Porcelina, and just gorgeous stuff like Galapagos.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Yeah, I know SD is mostly Billy, and possibly Gish. MCIS was an attempt to get a full band sound on record, so they had two rooms going so Billy could do his things and James and Darcy could work elsewhere. It was an attempt to avoid the conflicts in SD. So you hear a lot more James on MCIS than you did before.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Isn't saying that Billy Corgan will do something embarrassing like saying "the roulette ball will land somewhere?"

It's not a prediction - it's his calling card.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Man, before 2000, this would be an unheard of opinion.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Zwan, I think the first really 'embarrassing' thing he'd done, at least publicly, was when he took out that newspaper ad saying that he wanted his band back.

Billy Corgan has always been embarrassing. He's just been endearingly so. Everything he does is inherently ridiculous, but that's why it works.

Do I need to pull out the video of him interviewing Nick Cave?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Yeah, when you get to the chorus, they should have added additional layers of guitars. It just sounds unfinished.

On the plus side, Billy's voice is no longer 20 db louder than everything else.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Kingo Ligma posted:

Weezer and RHCP never released anything beyond "ok I guess". RHCP's whole gimmick is being embarassing and Weezer are, well, fuckin Weezer.

The Blue album was a stone cold killer, and Pinkerton was a record only Rivers Cuomo could make.

To put it a different way - Weezer reaches new lows all the time, but at least there's a decent chance there will be one good song amongst the cookie-cutter nonsense.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Another thing is that he might have to learn new singing techniques to better preserve his voice of he's done any damage to it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Kingo Ligma posted:

"Can't think of any female musicians at all, guess I'll name my daughter after a song by a racist pedophile"

Hey, that's not fair.

He's a racist, pedophile, and anti-vaxxer.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Kingo Ligma posted:

The only song 99% of the world remembers them for is called Santa Monica hth

Wait, it isn't I Will Buy You a New Life?

I've been living a lie.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I think they're just Wonderful.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

And touring can be super stressful. You're basically working and living with these people for months at a time, and all the while, you're hoping the money works out in the end.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Framboise posted:

I think a lot of people are just too scared to call something bad when it is, as if the creator of the content is going to read their comment specifically and call them out for it.

ATUM just ain't it. If you like it, cool, but the Pumpkins of today are not the same band they were 25 years ago, no matter how bad Billy wants to think they are. I was really holding out hope for later parts of the album to be better, so I was cautiously optimistic, but being cautious was the correct decision imo.

I've noticed that Pitchfork rarely gives out bad reviews. So many websites just give everything middling scores that reviews become useless.

You know what? Be harsher guys! Rip bad albums to shreds! Don't waste my time with this 5 out of 10 nonsense when you know it's really a 3.

Or go the Christgau approach and only write reviews for good music.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Checking out ATUM, and...

This is the funniest record I've heard in a while. It's not intentionally funny, which is what makes it so bad.

First off, the lyrics come across like a junior in high school's first attempt at writing serious poetry. All the talk of nature and flowers and sunshine. Followed by such weird imagery that it's not clear what Billy is trying to say. The whole thing feels forced.

Then we got the music, which sounds like a 50-year-old getting his first synthesizer circa 1983. I can't understand what would compel a man to release Butterfly Suite, but by god, he did.

It doesn't help that Corgan seems to be adopting a strangely bad British accent. It's like when you see a movie about Shakespearean times and you see poets reciting bad poetry. But now with synths.

Beguiled comes close to working because it manages to avoid the traps of most of the other songs. It's clearly written closer to the old style, and with a little more work, it could have been a classic.

The question I have is why is this a triple album? It feels like most of this stuff is a half baked demo that got released into the wild. My biggest sensation was that Corgan was just loving around in the studio.

It is obviously an attempt to recapture Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, but there, the songs all had their own feel and everything felt baked to completion. Here, it's just more spacey synths backed up Donovan's discarded lyrics.

If I were writing a Pitchfork review, I would give it a 3.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Kingo Ligma posted:

A 45 second clip of Billy Corgan farting on the Joke Rogan show with guest farts from Willow Smith would be better than anything on atum if he just let Jimmy do his actual thing on it.

Wait, Jimmy is on the album?

Why the gently caress do you have a jazz drummer who at one point was the only other Pumpkin to play on your albums because he's that good just do something I can whip up in 5 minutes on a drum machine?

That's like getting Barry Bonds to play T-ball.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I feel like I've heard the chorus before. It's sounds like a big 80s hit song, but I can't put my finger on it.

The 5/4 verses don't work either. It just sounds awkward and forced.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I'll know I'm old when Billy Corgan does the sequel to the post breakup Smashing Pumpkins albums.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

What's frustrating about this latest album is if Billy spent more time polishing 10 good songs instead of doing 44 songs (counting the vinyl songs), you might have a good album on your hand.

Take In Lieu of Failure - it reminds me of a classic Pumpkins song until he starts singing and then you get those god-awful lyrics.

Yeah, maybe hire a lyricist because this drippy hippy bullshit that sounds like a pretentious high school Morrissey's first attempt at writing in the style of a Robert Blake rip-off crossed with a bad Donovan parody doesn't work at all.

The problem is Corgan doesn't have to care. He'll believe everything is good, and meanwhile these songs will be forgotten about in 2 years.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Djarum posted:

You forget he also wrote over half of Celebrity Skin for Hole, produced the Frogs - Starjob, wrote and played on Ric Ocasek’s solo album Troublizing and was on Mechanical Animals by Marylin Manson during that time period as well. Dude was incredibly busy and prolific in 96-98.

He still writes a ton of for people. Some of it he gets credit for and others he takes a flat fee and no credit. That is where he makes most of his money these days. I have had several people claim to me that he has had more hits in the last 15 years than anyone else. I wouldn’t doubt it though. Just like how 3/4ths of the songs Linda Perry wrote she doesn’t get credit for.

What are some of these songs that he's written that have been hits?

I'm genuinely curious, since I can't find any thing to support that claim.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Well it can't be the Pixies. They have at least two female bassists who aren't with the band.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

The pandemic broke a lot of people's brains because suddenly, you had a tangible way how your behavior could impact other people, and why it would be reasonable to regulate that. And you had a perfect example of how you have to make decisions that will work for the best but might upset people, and how hard that can be.

And none of that plays with the whole "people should do what they want, and nobody should tell them what to do" vibe that a lot of people have.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Wait...

Reptilians don't exist and it's not common to see them transforming in front of you?

Just a friendly normal guy. Just also happened to be a lizard. In a more open society, he could have been his reptilian self, but no, everyone has to assume he's out to rule the world.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I just saw on Facebook they’re looking for a guitarist (not bass).

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Hey, Bill Maher is a step up from Alex Jones. It’s still insufferable, but it’s not actively hateful.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Didn’t he get Pavement kicked off a tour because of the mention in the song Range Life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I’m guessing if it’s only on the app, they’re just burning the show since who is going to watch it?