Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I listened to Solara this morning and holy poo poo, I absolutely agree with the Zeitgeist b-side comment.

Also, I really loved Aeronaut. The rest of the songs, whatever, but that one is one of my favourites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

hatelull posted:

A lot of Pisces Iscariot plays in that space as well.

Pisces Iscariot would've made a wonderful second disc to Siamese Dream, with a minimal amount of technical cleanup/additional mixing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I think my favourite b-side/demo/unfinished MCIS idea still is Phang. It's basic, but I absolutely love the chord progression in the 'chorus' of it (it's instrumental). It was my favourite from Pastichio Medley and was happy to hear more of it in the re-release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mv5hXnaMQ8

Billy always had this way of taking simple riffs and turning them into something that just 'got' me. Same with the main riffs from Here's To the Atom Bomb' and 'Vanity'.

He doesn't seem to do that anymore :smith: He's still writing rock riffs, but not ones that have that emotional undertone to them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

NME Live: Billy Corgan responds to D'Arcy Wretzky's claims that he 'has a brain tumour'.
http://www.nme.com/news/music/billy...utm_content=nme

Sorry for the quick link paste, but I'm on mobile (and at work). I don't necessarily want to believe Billy, or at least didn't want to automatically believe him, I was actually fairly on D'Arcy's side previously, but unless he's just flat out lying about everything, well... That doesn't come across very well for her.

Also, I agree with what someone else said about how if he was lying, why are both James and Jimmy also going along with it?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

Is Billy trying really hard to look like Nosferatu or something? He did that for the Ava Adore video too and he just looks silly.

His creepy on purpose shtick worked a lot better before he gained weight.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

New single coming out Sept 13, new album, that apparently will be like Pisces (:aaaaa:) coming sometime afterward. Album features Jimmy and James, all together for the first time since Machina!

https://www.alternativenation.net/smashing-pumpkins-make-big-new-album-announcement-return-1994/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I think I've finally realized what my issue is with recent Pumpkins songs. The music itself is fine and while we all know that his vocals are mixed WAY to hot in each track (in other words, he sounds much closer to the listener than the machina-era-and-earlier tracks) it's the lack of emotional dynamics in his singing. It's like there's no more "whisper to a scream" to their music anymore. Obviously not every classic Pumpkins song had that, but there was a lot.

Now there seems to be way less, if any at all. Even the tracks that aim for that seem to miss the mark.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wait, the new album with new music is called the same as the tour that specifically consists of ~3 hours of previous music, plus a few covers, and Solara?

:psyduck:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

BlooRadley posted:

Yeah it was pretty much that! Yet it all felt new with how much he was feeling the music that night. The visuals also made the songs feel new.

I have no doubt that the shows are amazing, and I'm kicking myself for not even attempting to make it to the Montreal show, but it's loving weird to me that the new album and what is essentially the 30th anniversary/reunion tour have the same name.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wait, so... the media was asking about 'what is up with Billy?' back in 2000? I don't remember this, and I was following them. I remember it was supposed to be a concept album, and there was artwork, and an animated... thing? along with it, but honestly, I never noticed that ol' WPC was being a caricature of himself.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

A Big... Dog posted:

Goddamn I REALLY want that Metro show in some form.

I'm sure it'll happen sometime.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'd love to see that live clip.

I looked up Cash Car Star on youtube (ha, I'd love to hear a parody called Cash Cab Star) and I remember watching this years agi, thinking that they're basically speed running the song. I know live performances are usually a faster, but goddamn. This doesn't even seem organic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=engk-a3OJs0

Also, I will forever :swoon: over Melissa. :canada: represent!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

precision posted:

Yeah that's what I meant. A lot of the songs sound... fat. Like "Here Is No Why" which is also just a terrible song in general

What in the flaming hell are you talking about? :psyduck:

Yeah, I know, opinions and all that, but drat, man.... that's cold.

EDIT: I mean, if we're talking bad pumpkins songs, I'd take one of the lesser tracks from Monuments or Zeitgeist... and if we're talking classic Pumpkins, my vote has to go to The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete. I just.... I just don't get it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Seaniqua posted:

Chiming in to say I have always loved "Here Is No Why". It's one of those songs where I actually remember the first time I heard it, because the open guitar riff was so unique.

If you're going to hate on something from MCIS... please choose "Take Me Down".

See, I can sort of agree with that, but I'd take off Lily, first. It's an ok song, I don't dislike it, but I feel like it doesn't fit into MCIS because it's a goofy, jokey song about him being a creep, and even the name Lily is from his cat.

I think it would've fit better on one of the singles. Switch it out for Set the Ray to Jerry :colbert:

EDIT: Also, you might not have been able to find Zero on youtube if you're on mobile. Bands do that sometimes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm hoping it shows up, even briefly, on youtube (without a subscription) because that's not blocked at work, whereas music streaming sites are :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Marchin' On whips. I think overall these songs remind me a lot of Machina 2.

Holy poo poo, this is very true.

Machina 3 which would've been a much more concise album title.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Zeitgeist has its moments, but it gets real samey real fast. There are no acoustic songs, almost every track is in the same key (maybe all of them?), the sound of things like the drums and vocals are very uh... "idiosyncratic" and honestly the songwriting just isn't there most of the time.

For what it's worth, I prefer the roomy, distorted drum sound to the overly compressed clicky drums on Shiny, and a lot of the songs on this one have drums that might as well be loops. I think Travels has one ride hit near the end where Jimmy kind of hit the bell but otherwise it could just be a loop. I think Ghosts is literally Jimmy looped. I mean I know Rick doesn't know how to handle heavy rock bands (and active drummers especially) but c'mon, you're better than this Jimmy.

edit: anyone remember when the booklet art for Zeitgeist leaked and everyone was so mortified they assumed it had to be fake?

I'm torn exactly in half about the drums for Oceania. Mike did a fantastic job, but my god, there are just no dynamics. :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

If anyone remembers the Awful Xmas Music album from 2012, my main claim to fame was calling the 4-disc opus Merry Christmas and the Infinite Santa.

Billy, you can have that one, you're more than welcome to it!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.alternativenation.net/billy-corgan-front-nine-inch-nails-janes-addiction-supergroup/

Unf. The only supergroup for me. Love Jane's, love NIN, obviously love the Pumpkins.

Hearing Billy sing Mountain Song is pretty neat and weird. I like it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

polyester concept posted:

Calling josh freese a nin drummer is a stretch. Might as well call him an Avril Lavigne drummer while we’re at it

Fair enough; it'd be awesome to have had Chris Vrenna, Danny Lohner, Robin Finck, or Charlie Clouser in this.

I kind of assume Trent wouldn't be up for it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah I wasn't calling you out, more so it;s the article headline that's clickbait.

All good! I hadn't even been keeping up with more recent NIN members, and didn't know much about Freese.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just wanted to post and say that Vanity might be one of my favourite later era Pumpkins tracks. I wish this had been on Machina 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGG3lVztXBg

Looking forward to that reissue, whenever it happens.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I must be one of the few Pumpkins fans who doesn't like Try, Try, Try, even a little bit :smith: so I guess that answers the question of what Vanity would replace.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Just found this thread. It is relevant to my interests.
I saw Smashing Pumpkins during the Machina tour way back in 2000. It was babby's first rock and roll show, and it was fantastic. My all time favorite band.

I saw the Smashing Pumpkins again in 2010. Well, Billy Corgan + his staff, I guess. Half the setlist was new stuff that I didn't know or like. He even threw a little tantrum during the encore when someone asked for Zero. He said "I've played that song ten thousand loving times and I don't want to". Then had a little discussion with the band, rolled his eyes, and started playing it. Then he left the stage. Show's over, I guess. :jerkbag: We later learned that he hated playing old songs because they reminded him of his bad relationship with James. Suffice it to say, it wasn't the best show I've ever seen.

When I heard about the tour last year, I wanted to go. I heard that the setlist was going to dig deep into the back catalog, and that James would be playing. Neat!
I also knew that I wanted to hit an early tour date, to give him less of a chance to get grumpy and start doing something weird like playing Kiss covers and 25 minute instrumental jams.
Setlist was rad:

As you can see, some excellent jams there, including Muzzle and Drown. Besides the surprise cover songs (Bowie and Zeppelin ones were cool, Baby Mine was weird), it would make a pretty good mixtape.

The venue was a huge hockey stadium, and it was barely 1/3rds full. It was kinda sad. It was a great show, no regrets. My fanhood of the Smashing Pumpkins has been ups and downs. I liked Zwan a lot. I essentially lost interest entirely after Billy's solo album, and never got it back.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

I enjoyed this post, as a longtime SP fan. That being said, you might like Aeronaut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PdZXNET88A

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah the zeitgeist tour wasn’t bad.

Wanna feel old? The pumpkins have been “reunited” now longer than the original lineup pre breakup

Yeah, it's been... almost 19 goddamned years since the 2000 show, and they were together for... What, 11, 12 years?

Holy poo poo :negative: :corsair:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't even have a preview enabled on mobile, and I already knew what this was. It was sent to me today on twitter by a couple people who know I love the Pumpkins. Weird that it's going viral almost a year after it was posted.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, I'm relistening to Oceania, and does anyone else feel like the drums, while played excellently (like, holy poo poo, Mike :stare:) didn't have the punch that they should have? They come across as almost like background noise.

I've recorded and mixed music in a studio a few times, though nothing at the level of someone like SP, and I have to wonder... what went on with the mixing that a) put Corgan's vocals so much in front, and b) that did this to the drums?

I saw that Bob Ludwig mastered it and.... :psyduck: That guy is legendary, so I'm really surprised with this. I do love the guitars, though.

On the flipside (just happen to be listening to this album today), Jane's Addiction's "Strays" is one of my favourite albums, half for the content, half for the production. Holy poo poo, that album sounds great, especially for a band that hadn't released a studio album in, what, over a decade at that point? Excellent work there.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jun 20, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

, but there's a bit of that on the new album too (gently caress you I'm not looking up the title).

Haha, I actually thought to myself "What, 'Monuments...'?" and then realized that no, that isn't actually the latest album.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I think I might've posted this before, but I think this might be my favourite Pumpkins track of all-time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTGcCr8L_t4

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

hatelull posted:

"Eleanor, you've lost me\In a haze of wine and cocaine"

Was always my favorite part about that song …

The chord change up during the pre-chorus ("High crimes and misdemeanors") is when it gives me chills.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Newish content!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olmVJZBxesM

Ok, so, they're touring again for the same album?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm assuming yes, but was there a beef with Butch? If so, what was it?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just want a studio version of Alabaster.

I can't even type or read that name without hearing Hank Hill yell it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anyone else really love 'Untitled'?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Framboise posted:

It amuses me to know that Untitled was supposed to be in Shrek or something but they ended up going with Smash Mouth or something.

Wait, THAT was the Shrek song!? :aaaaa:

What the hell? That wouldn't have worked at all.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't buy that Machina II sounds lovely because it's a vinyl rip. I have heard tons of vinyl rips of commercial albums taken on bottom of the barrel consumer turntables, and they sound "fine". It sounds lovely because Billy wanted it to sound that way.

Yes, this exactly. They were, I believe, quickly recorded and mixed, and most of them weren't painstakingly perfected like other regular albums. I do think some of the tracks are intentionally fuzzed out (Real Love), whereas others might just need some more work (Soul Power).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, I think there are full studio versions of at least most of the songs out there that Billy leaked as the original Friends and Enemies of Modern Music mixtape, I know I used to have Dross and Crash Car Star from that. I think the other version of Here's To The Atom Bomb is from that too.

I love the original riff from Atom Bomb so much, that the electronic version kind of bugs me, in just how inferior it is.

Also, I get the opening drumbeat of Lucky 13 stuck in my head all the time. I blame their DVD that had it as a menu track for that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

New Billy solo album out on the 22nd:

01 To Scatter One’s Own
02 Hard Times
03 Jubilee
04 Fragile, The Spark
05 Cotillions
06 Faithless Darlin’
07 Colosseum
08 Martinets
09 Buffalo Boys
10 Dancehall
11 Cri de Coeur
12 Like Lambs
13 Rider
14 Apologia
15 Neptulius
16 6+7
17 Anon

Wtf is a cotillion you ask?

Well, if any of these tracks are aa half as good as Aeronaut, then I'm all over it. Goddamn, I love that track.

Also, I'm new to Google Music, will this album be available day 1, or is there a delay for streaming services?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ballz posted:

I can’t for the life of me tell if you’re joking or not.

It's like the Lumberjack Dexter thing. You can say it out loud in front of people who haven't experienced it, and they'll likely not believe you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, two nights ago, my wife and I went to see the Jerry Granelli trio perform A Charlie Brown Christmas live. I'm not huge into jazz, but of course I grew up with that movie. It was a fantastic night, everyone played amazingly perfect, Granelli especially. Dude's 79, still is as spry and quick as ever, both verbally, and technically, on the kit. He was the drummer for the Vince Guaraldi trio, who had originally composed and recorded the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack.

I'm still not huge into jazz, though I respect the hell out of it. That being said, I DO love jazz drumming, and I'd say that it's defintiely my favourite genre of it. And it occurred to me, after the show, that that's why Jimmy Chamberlin is, by far, my favourite drummer. He started as a jazz drummer, so he's got *that special way* of playing that, to me, is far and away better and more listenable than a lot of other drumming greats. I'm not saying he's the best (though he might be pretty drat close), but he's my favourite. He's always got a groove, it's never mechanical, there's always a feel to what he's playing. I find a lot of drummers play just to keep the song going, or because 'hey, we can't NOT have drums', but Jimmy really brings the drumming into its own, and truly makes it just as important as the 12 guitar tracks Billy lays down.

Anyway, it was kind of a double-epiphany to me, like a) holy poo poo, it turns out I LOVE jazz drumming, and b) oh… that's why Jimmy's always been my favourite. Cool!

If anyone should have the opportunity to see Granelli play live, take it. Lucky for me, he now calls east coast :canada: home :toot:

Separate to this, how many of you have Pumpkins albums that remind you of Christmas? I was 13 when I first heard them (it was BWBW on MuchMusic that blew me away), and had to have MCIS for Christmas. Two years later, I asked for TAFH boxset, and got it, and since then, both collections are just Christmas albums to me, all the way. I have to listen to them in their entirety at least once, every year, around the holidays.