Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

whatis posted:

The single was leaked on youtube at some point today apparently, but it's since been pulled. I didn't get a chance to listen, but most reactions I've seen have been pretty meh

It’s officially back up on YouTube now.

It’s not as good as their old stuff, but I’d say it did sound better than a lot of the new stuff.

I’ll have to give it a couple more listens to see how it stays with me, but overall I’d say it’s a positive impression especially compared to Monuments album which in the end a lot of it just fell flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’m seeing them on the 8th, which I would hope they did would maybe play the new single. Looking at it at the set list of other shows they have a pretty rigid list that they’re not straying from.

I’m still incredibly excited though because it will be my first time seeing Jimmy and James in the band live. I only saw them on the Oceania tour and they were really good, so especially with Jimmy back I’m incredibly excited for next weekend.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Saw the show. Way better than when I saw the lineup during the Oceania tour. They played good that time, but the lineup they had now really could play the songs heavier and better.

It had a lot of moving stuff and Billy hammed things up a ton which made the whole thing super enjoyable.

Highly recommend people see this because it was an amazing show.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
When it first started I was a little worried I wasn’t going to like it, but that was great. Billy seemed to make an effort to actually put a bit of range into his voice (though it’s nowhere near the Mellon or Machina).

It’s way better than the less heavy songs on Monuments for sure. I really hope they follow up this shorter album with a full length 12-13 song effort because they seem to have something going again.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
2 new Smashing Pumpkins songs

Cyr - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reIUbVUbVZA

The Color of Love https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KwkCtVrL8E

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 28, 2020

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Didn't expect the new album to go straight synthpop but here we are.

edit: It's Billy so you never know but I think the song is "Cyr" like the beginning of Cyrillic and not the abbreviation CYR

Your right it’s just Cyr. I did it all caps while I was looking at the artwork thing in the video so that’s my bad.

Edit: I think Billy was saying this might be a double album, and if that’s the case I wonder if one disc is more of this stuff, and the other goes more traditional pumpkins/heavier guitars. I like these songs though. Way better than anything on Monuments.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 28, 2020

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Jeff Schroeder is doing solo work and is working
on an EP for 2022 but this cover of an old Korean song sounds more like old Pumpkins than anything new Pumpkins has put out recently.

Haenim

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think if Billy's voice was pushed back a bit, Oceania (the album) would be so much better, but as it stands, I still love it a lot, more than I ever expected to.

I still love their modern stuff but it’s true. Just listen to Silvery Sometimes and imagine if his vocals was pushed pack just a bit more. A little more ethereal sounding would make that song amazing.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
It’s okay, but this isn’t a return to Machina/MCIS stuff at all. I’m not a huge music guy so this might sound kinda dumb when I explain what the difference is for me, but this is how I see it.

I still like the Pumpkins but the difference for me is that the old stuff has this air of unexpectedness to it. There will be the main riffs, but you’d always get a guitar wail or a change in drums that for a part of the song breaks off from the standard and it made the songs interesting to listen to. Like, listen to Bullet With Butterfly wings. It goes pretty standard but after the first time he does the first refrain they’re doing a new part and he could just repeat what they’ve been doing but then you have this small guitar part added in that makes you want to listen even more for all the ways the song changes.

New Pumpkins is good but honestly it’s well, kinda boring. There’s nothing that sets it out from other bands. Have your set parts. Do not deviate and have them in a nice repeatable pattern, maybe break out from it once for the standard solo. It’s a far cry from how the end of Bullet just feels absolutely different from how it started. I think Zeitgeist still did this somewhat and Oceania had its moments but it’s been very bog standard on these last couple of albums. The new song was a huge disappointment for me.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I have a soft spot for Zeitgeist but that’s because I was finally old enough to buy albums without my parents permission and I had always liked what I from them on much music.

I think it’s still great to this day. Has some issues, but it’s far more interesting than Monuments.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Listened to the podcast to hear the new track. I liked it way more than Beguiled. Had a lot more going on for it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I want to listen to it, but it seems like the only way to do so is through streaming services? I don’t listen to music that way so guess I’m waiting till the full album drops. Seems like a dumb way to do it, but I’m old and don’t want to change.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Here’s my thoughts on Atum.

I don’t hate it. It’s fine, there’s some tracks I really like. It just has the same problem that I ultimately have with CYR.

It’s utterly forgettable. I’ve listened to it 2 times fully over (maybe 3?) and I can’t tell you a single song where I’m like “I have to listen to that again” like I can for stuff even like Zeitgeist or heck, Oceania.

It’s all just muddled together. He makes no effort for the songs to have their own identity. I got to the last track of the album on disc 3, and I was so excited because it was just a keyboard playing and I thought he was going to do a nod to something like Farewell and Goodnight where he silently sings to a simple melody. Then the fart noise synthesizers kicked in. Someone please find Billy’s recording studio and steal his synths. He loves synths. Like, everything has to have the same stupid farting synth noises and I am over it. It’s funny reading the talk about him using broken guitars to make cool noise and I can just imagine these days that instead of doing that modern Billy would just be like “or we can use a synth.”

Pumpkins will always be one of my favourite bands but it’s definitely not for their new music. I’m glad Billy is finally happy but I wish this incarnation of the band was called literally anything else because this just isn’t the Pumpkins anymore.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Same with the Pumpkins (D'Arcy and Melissa).

The answer was the Pixies.

Pumpkins have 3. You’re forgetting about Nicole who was with the band during Oceania era.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Was she officially a member?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

SodomizeTheWeak posted:

I have tickets to go see them in August because I still love SD and melon collie. I've always avoided their live stuff because in my experience Billy's voice is always awful. Has anyone seen them recently? Has it improved at all?

I mean, I loved his voice from his older stuff so maybe take this with a grain of salt.

I thought it was just fine during the Oceania tour and when I saw them again when Shiny was coming out. The thing with the live show is that the guitars and everything are so loud that it naturally drowns out his voice to be fine. If you like the music the live shows are great because a ton of it are the good hits. You’ll get a bunch of the new stuff too but that’s tolerable to hear BWBW live.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Zeitgeist was the start of poo poo vocals Billy. Even Future Embrace was decently done.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Jeff left the band. Maybe here’s where we find out he was the one holding them back all along! (I’m joking)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
He did an open call to get Mike, so why not do it again?

They’ve been running with 3 guitars for a while now, I think it’s so that they get the live sound to sound a bit more like the albums. They officially don’t have a bassist but Jack Bates plays live for them, and has for years now. It’s weird he hasn’t officially joined.