Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

New single sounds like Rick Rubin loathes Billy and is trying to end his career for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Matsuri posted:

I don't have much confidence in anything that Billy puts his hands on after 2000. I liked the older stuff where his voice is a bit more drowned in the instruments. Don't really know if there's a specific term for that style but I strongly prefer it.

It was lifted from shoegaze.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Current SP are literally worse than current Weezer.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Tale of Dusty n Pistol Pete is gorgeous. His solo career should have been riffing on it and stuff like To Sheila.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDF08fr7Efo

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EhBSqYVVrs

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5gqY65DYts

WPC chatting about Gish for an hour.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I find with the new songs (and this is, arguably, everything since the Machina era), you just gotta play it over and over while doing stuff, or while out driving, walking, whatever, and it'll grow on you.

I wasn't a huge fan of Oceania when it came out, but after playing it over and over back in 2012, it now reminds me of my old (awesome) job, when I met my wife... I legitimately love most of the songs on there.

Was never a big fan of The Celestials or the title track, but stuff like Pinwheels, Panopticon, were great.

Edit: this COULD be said of most music, but I feel that recent Pumpkins stuff really does hold up if you keep it going. Like even if you're still kind of forcing it on yourself, it's actually way easier to take than other stuff. Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

Have you considered moving on and listening to good music instead?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I actually can't! No, I'm serious; with a few exceptions, I just can't make any sort of connection with new music, mainly by new (to me) artists. I give more of a pass to new music from people I already liked, but even that's tough.

I have no idea why this is, and I wish it wasn't the case.

There's tons of good new stuff out there, but it doesn't even have to be new. Have you gone through any early SP influences?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

A few times, but it just doesn't work. It's not the music, it's definitely me. I'm 37 now, and new-to-me music just tends not to speak to me whatsoever now. :smith:

EDIT: https://www.businessinsider.com/why-we-stop-discovering-new-music-around-age-30-2018-6

That's me.

I should clarify that it's not 100% like that all the time, just mostly. For example, I'm not a fan of RHCP. However, a few years ago, I heard 'Breaking the Girl' for the first time, and holy poo poo, I was immediately in love. Maybe I just need wistful-sounding songs, whereas before, anything went.

You're putting in the time and energy to grind yourself into enjoying new SP. You can do that with anything, if not easier since the music will actually be good. If you want SP adjacent recommendations I'm happy to give you some.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I haven't listened to much of any of the new stuff yet but does anyone else miss the more subtle songs? I don't even mean his vocals; I'm more referring to the general song feeling. For a band that really helped mainstream the quiet/loud/quiet dynamic (at least after the Pixies did it), I feel like every single track, even quieter ones, are still way more in your face than quiet ones from years ago.

I love Machina, but I feel like this all started then. You would never find another track like Spaceboy, Soothe, or Set the Ray to Jerry on the kind of albums being written now. I'm glad that he and they evolve, but even in changing up the style, those dynamics seem to be completely lost.

Billy is 20 years removed from being good or relevant.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Jimmy's relative lack of props is probably another victim of the 2 faces of the Pumpkins phenomena, where the singles Pumpkins and the live/b-side Pumpkins that you have to be a fan to find out about are almost different bands.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Noise Machine posted:

also I heard "Being Beige" out of context for the first time in years and you know what? That's a good song. Very possible it's the only good one on "Monuments", but a good song none-the-less

Might as well have named it Boring Song.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Pistol Pete is great gently caress you.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTFwyc54qS4

Rock Opera Adore would have probably been the best Pumpkins album tbh

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 18, 2021

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Blew Away

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Whatever it is I'm sure it will be extremely embarrassing.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Cemetry Gator posted:

Billy Corgan has always been embarrassing. He's just been endearingly so. Everything he does is inherently ridiculous, but that's why it works.

Do I need to pull out the video of him interviewing Nick Cave?

I mean, it hasn't worked for quite a while now.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I feel like I need to design a Smashing Pumpkins fan recovery program for y'all. They loving suck and have for decades now. Think about how lovely RHCP or Weezer currently are and reflect on the fact that SP are way worse and more embarrassing.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

If someone remixed the vocals that would actually be a good song yeah.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St0--qAA7yg

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

It's almost like they're old as gently caress and haven't been relevant in well over 20 years now.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

oh word?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

He's insufferable.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

William. I watch Beato all the time, he's harmless if a bit boring and "old man yells at cloud"-y.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 14, 2022

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Kingo Ligma posted:

The only song 99% of the world remembers them for is called Santa Monica hth

I remember them for Heroin Girl :colbert:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

wtf Dusty and Pistol Pete is great.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U9XJdd4FlM

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Hummer, Soma, Mayonaise were why I was so obsessed with SD when I was younger. I've always considered it one of their absolute top tier songs.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Wasting the killer Transmission riff on garbage like HMM was the beginning of the end.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

If BC has secretly ghost-written a bunch of hits in the last decade, why is all his stuff so loving terrible and unpopular?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

gently caress that's bad.

And BC is by far the worst part.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Just go listen to other bands, it's not hard.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

I thought it was ridiculous when the Chili Peppers kicked Josh out the band because of John's ego when returning (and Josh had been their second guitarist on tours so wtf?) but he's since done some stuff that's showcased how talented he is.

This song rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTb1YAP5B10

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Attention.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Framboise posted:

Like, this band gave us Gish and Siamese Dream. Surely there's some of that energy left somewhere in there, right?

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

God, that's like a full on Greta Van Fleet style parody.