Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

whatis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_saCkQSLyUk

Lars Ulrich interviewing Billy. The focus of the interview is pretty much exclusively music, so it's actually not too bad.

Also, sounds like new single some time before the end of May. Maybe that was mentioned elsewhere too, but I haven't been paying a lot of attention

Billy actually seems astutely aware of what's happening and how everyone perceives him which makes it kind of weird how he acts. He seems to know what he's doing (at least internally) so kudos I guess?

Band talk, I don't honestly care about D'Arcy being in the reunion. If Billy, Jimmy and James are all in and they all agreed to not let D'Arcy? I don't know, if it was just Billy we could put it up to being Billy, but everyone seems to be fine so maybe there's more at play?

Also with the leaked messages I actually side with Billy. D'Arcy wanted to go from 0-100 by jumping straight into recording and Billy wanted her to get her groove back live first. I don't understand what's wrong with that. What's wrong with wanted the best effort for a new album instead of just rolling out of bed?

I love Billy and also hate him sometimes. He still produces music I love and no amount of personality fuckery could taint my favourite albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I genuinely like Solara. And I really liked the video. It was a good combination of "Pumpkins quirkiness" and self awareness. Like they know they're lame when they try and be edgy, so they're embracing it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

precision posted:

Billy Corgan has always been adorably embarrassing and doofy. I mean, that's the good side of him. Better that than him being the rear end in a top hat who won't let half his band play on the record.

It's true. Billy being a complete loving dork and melodramatic is Billy at his best. Way better than the conspiracy nutjob, trans hating Billy.

I both admire and detest Billy. It's impressive.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
New song owns bones. I don't even have a problem with the vocal mixing for once. I can kind of see how people would want the chorus to go big but I liked it how it is. Just a chill little song that's pretty and pleasant.

Also I am a dork and love the line "You scan the fields, someone dies tonight. It’s tragic, but at least it’s not you." It is so Billy and corny but I can't help but love it. I think it's a beautifully written song. Solara had distortion, but I prefer this song out of the two singles. By far.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah, I love the new single. Holy poo poo there's been three singles and I love all of them. Knights of Malta reminds me of the songs from the protest era.

I love the use of reverse guitar too. It sounds kind of like Billy's solo stuff but way more Pumpkins-y and guitar oriented. And this single gives me heavy American Gothic vibes and that's one of my favourite releases.

So yeah, I really, really dig the new songs. And it's a relief after the borefest that was Monuments.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If you haven't listened to Machina or Machina II (especially II) definitely do it. Heavy stuff but some super pretty songs. Out of all the reissues I've been most excited for the Machina double album because goddamn it that's what it should have been in the first place. It's not MCIS but it's a phenomenal album and was unfairly neutered.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

precision posted:

Yeah that's what I meant. A lot of the songs sound... fat. Like "Here Is No Why" which is also just a terrible song in general

Edit: I just went looking for the video for Zero and it appears William had it scrubbed from YouTube? What the heck is the story there? That video owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wk7C64kaP4

This one? I literally went to YouTube and typed "Pumpkins Zero"?

Also yeah I like the raw and almost demo quality of MCIS. It's part of the charm to me.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Here Is No Why is good, Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete is very good, post MCIS is good (Adore is easily as good as MCIS hth).

I might be (definitely am) a little biased but I honestly think Zeitgeist was weak with a few standout tracks, Monuments is boring as gently caress and the rest is solid to amazing.

Also apparently the album leaked and is good. I'm waiting for the official release cause I'm too lazy to find it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Listened to the album. Weakest track is Alienation for sure but it's a decent song. Pretty happy with every other track too. Marchin' On sounds like they lifted it from MCIS sessions. Very good album in my opinion. Super solid. Not SD or MCIS or Adore or anything but I know I'll be listening to this a lot.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
So I have listened to Shiny several times now. My verdict is that it's loving good. Alienation is the weakest track but even that's okay.

Kicks the crap out of Monuments and on par at least with Oceania (I loved Oceania) and better than Zeitgeist. It's a good album.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Machina I/II are horrendously underrated. I genuinely think if they had nicer production people would've put them up with the big four (Gish, SD, MCIS, Adore). It's leagues better than anything they've put out recently, and are genuinely bangers in my opinion.

Billy, reissue when?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Weirdly I'm kind of vibing on Cottilions which I didn't do as much with Ogilala.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
This album is shaping up to be pretty trash and I love it. Can't wait to buy it when it's out.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think it's got a synthwave whatever thing going on, but it's being done so poorly.

Confessions, Colour of Love and Cyr are good songs to me. But you release 8 tracks as promos and most are meh? Not a good sign. And the fact that they're mediocre is the best part. If they were awful I could justify it as someone's possible jam. Instead it's all just boring.

A lot of the tracks have the same problems. Overused backup singers, Billy's lyrics have gone from flowery to straight up ridiculous AND repetitive at the same time. No song really feels like it moves anyway, just a funky beat for the whole thing with maybe a drop out. Underused members. This is all poo poo that could have been fixed.

I checked out of expecting good music from the Pumpkins after Oceania. I'm a weirdo who likes Zeitgeist even, cause I honestly think the majority of songs on it are bangers and I can vibe with the paranoid feel. Oceania I love.

Teargarden was mediocre, Monuments was downright awful, Shiny and the Weather Balloons of Silver Knights was boring bar a few tracks. I have no great expectations. And Billy is a nut.

And that's why I will probably buy the album. Following Billy is like a soap opera. I hate celebrity drama but I loving love the insane poo poo that he comes up with and the mental gymnastics to justify why he's right and everyone is wrong and doesn't understand him.

Billy is 'my stories'.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The album is so inoffensively boring. Also the lyrics sound like an AI that read a lot of super flowery poetry and tried to recreate it.

This album is exactly what I thought it would be and it's hilarious. I'm waiting for Billy to start talking about how no one understands what he's trying to do, and that they don't want him doing anything new. It'll be awesome.

Billy, do new things. Just, uh, try to do them well instead of this?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Waiting for Billy to start responding to negative reviews with "haha just joking guys, honest, that was a joke, I can still write a bit, just wait for the next album! It'll be like a new era Siamese Dream!"

He then does no such thing.

Seriously though it's pretty sad how far the Pumpkins have fallen. They're still probably my favourite band but I have to remind myself to not invest myself in anything past M2.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Apparently Billy has a signature amp from some rando company I've never heard of, for way too much money (limited of course!).

It sounds kind of naff to be honest.

https://guitar.com/news/gear-news/carstens-amplification-grace-amplifier/

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Billy excels at writing great poo poo and never putting it out. I think it's just to spite people or something? Artistic vision :v:

And his signature Rev looks silly but plays brilliantly and sounds amazing. The pickups are really well balanced and the SLingshot style Revs feel comfy and balanced.

And the surplus of pickguards means if you accidentally strum on the horns it's okay!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Confessions of a Dopamine Addict is a great song. That's the praise I have for Cyr.

Oceania is great tho, love that album.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's James on Zero's solo, he used the Whammy and a preset on I think some old Line6 unit called "Cyberman" or something lol

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I mean, I'd prefer that over him dancing for the drum solo lol

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
After briefly checking out ATUM - Act I (Jesus Christ, Billy) and so far my opinion is there's a couple tracks like Steps in Time and Beyond the Vale I could *almost* see myself wanting to listen a bunch, but they just lack. Nothing even super specific, just in general, they lack.

Most of the album bounced off me, right now. I went in expecting a Mellon Collie sequel and it's not. I'll try listening to it properly later when I don't have that preface in my head.

Also I gotta say from CYR that Confessions of a Dopamine Addict is a banger. Like I'd use it for a spooky intro of a big evil in a movie.

Hooray! is great, because it sounds like something Devin Townsend wrote honestly.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Devin Townsend is the superior pale white, tall as gently caress Nosferatu musician.

Shiny Vol 1 (remember all that lol) had a couple tracks I enjoyed, the rest meh. Since then I've just checked out completely. I enjoy their older stuff, honestly up to Oceania, but I don't see much reason to pay attention to what they're doing now.

The wild thing is it isn't even the change in style. It's that they don't do it well. Confessions of a Dopamine Addict is a banger, and the only track I vibes with on Cyr. The problem isn't style, it's talent :v:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Kingo Ligma posted:

I'm sure Devin Townsend is a less embarassing person then Billy, and he probably writes better songs than current pumpkins. However, no one who doesn't mod an incel subreddit has ever heard of him. Billy C is responsible for 2 very good rock albums, 1 great album, and 2 of the most significant in the entire history of the genre.

At least pick someone relevant to the conversation m8

Smashing Pumpkins are my favourite band of all time. Having said that, lol if you think Corgan has any relevance above Townsend. No one knows who the gently caress Corgan is besides the crazy libertarian dude who does wrestling poo poo and is insane. He made some big albums like thirty years ago lol. No one gives a gently caress any more. Same as no one outside of guitarists knows or cares who Jimmy Page or whatever is.

Also I was referencing the look, sorry to piss in your cornflakes lol

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Kingo Ligma posted:

Bullet with butterfly wings will be in stranger things season 6 and you will rue that post my friend

Don't be silly, it'll be Zero and it'll start with the character looking into a mirror.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Interesting. I feel that 'Monuments to an Elegy' has been their best post breakup album.

The fact I *forgot* that album says a lot. I couldn't remember which one it was so I looked it up. Being Beige and Tiberius were alright I think? I remember Drum + Fife, it was not good.

I think Shiny was notable because Knights of Malta hit the mark as very reminiscent of protest era folk/gospel, with a rad backwards solo, I genuinely love Silvery Sometimes and I remember thinking the rest was decent. Which puts it leagues ahead for me.

The fact that every Pumpkins release I just hope they have at least one song I like says a lot. Long gone are the days of eagerly listening to the whole album because it's so good.

Edit: the fact that ATUM is called a rock opera is loving hilarious, especially with Billy saying it's far more guitar driven. Are you knowingly lying or going senile, Billy?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
These days Billy is the absolute master of a few things. Not completing things, referencing older work as justification for new stuff while saying his art stands on its own merits, and being bad at describing what he's even doing.

"We're releasing a 45 song epic album that's basically the heavy parts of Mellon Collie, but with strong nu metal vibes." Proceeds to release a 60 minute meditation album, but that's just a smaller, the real stuff is coming In Two Weeks.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't think it's possible to accidentally go to a tea house called Madame Zuzus. Or if you are the sort of person that would then you probably are a danger to yourself and others.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

I thick he was trying to be mean to her and ended up being mean to all trans/non-conforming folx. For what it's worth I think he's tried to walk that back, but since he's Billy that means vagueposting about having been a bully instead of addressing specific issues and what he could do too fix things. There have been a few times on his personal socials he's replied to people saying like "I'm trans and your music helped me understand myself and feel less alone" and he's responded with extremely generic support to them. I think he feels bad but he's a shithead and can't actually apologize.

He also made numerous comments about "totally not hooking up with a trans woman" and "only making out and getting hickies" and then threatening to break her arm when people found out because he's "not gay". Very normal and not transphobic things.

I love the original run of Pumpkins music but this is Billiam Corrigan, famous shithead. Whether he doesn't know how to apologise or not doesn't mean he isn't a dick. He's got a lot of money and free time obviously, so he should maybe take some lessons in apologising and humility, or else learn to be okay with the fact everyone thinks he's the rear end in a top hat he is. It ain't hard.

If he literally came out and said "I was an rear end in a top hat and did these lovely things (and names the things he did instead of being vague) and that was wrong and I am sorry" he'd buy a lot of goodwill. In fact, that's how it works for most people, it's surprisingly easy to start doing the right thing.

On a positive note tho, altho I didn't care for Cyr for some reason Confessions of a Dopamine Addict gets in my head sometimes. It's a bop.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Weirdly I love White Spyder for that sound. I couldn't handle every track on an album being like that, but the sheer oppressive and claustrophobic feeling it has loving nails it for me.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Zeitgeist should be completely remixed and remastered by someone not connected to the band who knows what the gently caress they're doing.

Also Zeitgeist was the start of Billy using and abusing the everloving poo poo out of the "swallow syllable". I don't know the term, but the thing where he goes to sing something heartfelt, usually higher in vocal range, and it sounds like he swallows the first syllable as he sings it.

And now it's loving EVERYWHERE.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Billy just really doesn't want to look stupid while he's sleeping.

Also wake me up if the next album is actually a good one (lol) and has guitars and hooks (lmao). Actually, Billy doesn't seem to realise it wasn't the lack of guitars that made the albums not worth listening to. I don't think anyone is hearing Eye and going "gently caress this it hasn't got enough guitars".

I still think Confessions of a Dopamine Addict is a fun song because it reminds me of weird but not bad trips, and the nothing lyrics help that.

I still think it's funny that Shiny was a Vol 1. Billy loves planning big, he's just not great at follow through. He is good at just pivoting and then going "they were the other ones all along!" tho which is very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I dunno if people don't notice but most people here enjoy the band, but enjoy making fun of Billiam Corrigan even more. The first run of the band was great, but the second run is hilarious.