Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I've had a tab open on ticketmaster for the concert when they come around Indianapolis.... pretty much ever since it was announced. Like I want to go, but I've been on the fence so badly. I'll probably go.

I'm a fairly new fan (fell in love with everything up to Machina a few months ago) but from as far as opinions go it seems like both Billy and D'Arcy are kind of up their own asses. I like Billy as a musician and a lyricist, but as a person I kind of cringe at a lot of the things he says. In the argument, Billy seems to make far more sense than D'Arcy who just gets hostile over it all, despite them not talking for... what, like 15 years?

I'm more interested in seeing James live honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I don't have much confidence in anything that Billy puts his hands on after 2000. I liked the older stuff where his voice is a bit more drowned in the instruments. Don't really know if there's a specific term for that style but I strongly prefer it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Guess I need to look into shoegaze.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Because from how I've been reading it, Billy isn't the one who is lying. Or at least, isn't the one trying to save face by stretching the truth. If what Billy says is true, then it was a unanimous agreement between the three of them to move on without her.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I think he's just embracing the fact that he's weird as hell.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Solara's growing on me as a song at any rate. I like it more than any other recent thing they've put out, but the presence of Billy, James, and Jimmy in the same room making room together is probably the reason for it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Matsuri posted:

I think he's just embracing the fact that he's weird as hell.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
There's been some videos taken of some of the shows now that the tour's started. The stage looks great and the music is spot on. 3 hours long with an overall great setlist.

And ticket prices have dropped. The seat I was planning to buy for $99+fees is now $69+fees, and I can get a loving 6th row seat for $135. gently caress, man.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Oops. Slept on it too long. Didn't get the seat. :negative:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to get tickets outside of using Ticketmaster? Their additional fees are loving criminal.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Soooooo yeah.

That show was really fuckin' good.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

The Black Stones posted:

Saw the show. Way better than when I saw the lineup during the Oceania tour. They played good that time, but the lineup they had now really could play the songs heavier and better.

It had a lot of moving stuff and Billy hammed things up a ton which made the whole thing super enjoyable.

Highly recommend people see this because it was an amazing show.

Agreed, it was incredible.

You can hear the world premiere of Silvery Sometimes (Ghosts) here, at around 1:53:00.

It's a step in the right direction. It feels like Billy's trying to keep the charm of the past while taking the composition out of old patterns. Very 1979-esque, but I feel like the chorus is a little weak.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
https://store.smashingpumpkins.com/shiny-and-oh-so-bright-bundles.html

Bundles and preorders for the new album. I'm picking up the box set with the IGT 7"s. I've never bought vinyl before and I don't even have something to play them on, but this'll be a first for me.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Hasn't been mentioned here so I thought I'd bring it up: A Machina super-deluxe set is in the works; Billy is in the process of arranging and combining and remastering some unused tracks and finishing Machina II the way it should have been finished. Final product will have both albums combined with the usual demos/alternate tracks and live DVD, etc.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

I don't know that I trust modern Billy to fix Machina 2

Seaniqua posted:

crank them vox

I am really hoping Rick Rubin stays ten million miles away from it, yes.

polyester concept posted:

we can only hope what this will be

BC's already said it won't be their final show before breakup, so who knows.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
WPC is 100% more likable when you just accept he's a loving weirdo.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
New track "Knights of Malta" dropped today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O80Kwt4zcxs

It's not a banger but I like the lyrics.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

The Black Stones posted:

When it first started I was a little worried I wasn’t going to like it, but that was great. Billy seemed to make an effort to actually put a bit of range into his voice (though it’s nowhere near the Mellon or Machina).

It’s way better than the less heavy songs on Monuments for sure. I really hope they follow up this shorter album with a full length 12-13 song effort because they seem to have something going again.

Bad news I'm afraid. Shiny Vol. 2 is supposed to be 8 tracks as well. Billy did report that he has finished his next solo LP though, which has more tracks on it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Baron von Eevl posted:

All the singles are good, but there are some weird issues with all of them.
Solara's mix is still kinda wonky, the drums have way too much stick attack so everything just sounds like a click. I'm not sure if it's a recording issue or a micing thing or something with compression or triggers or what. I will say that the album mix from the preorder sounds wayyyy better than the mix on the youtube videos.

Fairly certain it's because Rick Rubin. Hearing the song live made me like the song. It kicked rear end live.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah. If you haven't heard Dross or the Machina II version of Let Me Give The World To You, please do so.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

Mellon Collie has some of the most inexplicably bad mixing I've ever heard

Difference between Butch Vig and Flood, I suppose?

I never really felt like MCIS sounded bad either, though.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

Yeah that's what I meant. A lot of the songs sound... fat. Like "Here Is No Why" which is also just a terrible song in general

Yikes we're not going to agree at all there. That's one of my favorite tracks.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Got my vinyl of Shiny Vol. 1 in the mail today. I don't have anything to listen to it with yet, so I just finished listening to the digital copy.

It's... okay. The singles are definitely the standout bits, despite their flaws. The rest feels rather half baked. Not bad, but I feel like this could have been far better with a) more time and b) a better producer.

Billy's voice does not and never will belong in front of everything else. Dear god no.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

obnoxious album title

it's honestly tame compared to the whole teargarden by kaleidyscope concept

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Meanwhile I think With Sympathy is my favorite non-single. Marchin' On is great, but With Sympathy has a nice Try, Try, Try vibe to it and I love that song.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It's on Spotify too, if that is of any use.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I can safely say I like this more than any other post 2000 album. It'll definitely be in rotation for me.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I will have to listen to Zeitgeist again someday. As it was, it was the only album I struggled to get through and didn't really enjoy in some way at all.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

syntaxfunction posted:

So I have listened to Shiny several times now. My verdict is that it's loving good. Alienation is the weakest track but even that's okay.

Kicks the crap out of Monuments and on par at least with Oceania (I loved Oceania) and better than Zeitgeist. It's a good album.

Agreed. Naysayers be damned, Shiny still manages to be good even if it's clearly rushed and Rubin got his filthy hands on it. We can say it could be better, but that it's still good despite all that tells me the quality is there.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

hatelull posted:

Would you cut a Machina track and replace it with "Vanity" or would you just slip it in somewhere? It's been a hot minute since I listened to that record. I remember digging the Machina II version of "Try, Try, Try" more when I heard it but that's probably because I loved the fact that Corgan named dropped my city. Still, I could probably do without "The Sacred and Profane" or "The Crying Tree of Mercury."

I like the lyrics of the Machina II version of Try, Try, Try, but the constant WEE-oo-WEE-oooooooo in the background is kind of grating. I know that Machina II wasn't polished/completed but ugh.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It's kind of weird. This tour has a lot more deep cuts on the setlist. Last year felt less like a "we're touring to promote our new album" and more like a "we're touring to promote our reunion" because there was only one track from Shiny on the entire setlist last year and the rest were all of the singles from Gish to Machina.

Neither one seems to be promoting Shiny Vol. 1 itself.

Billy's really active on instagram and says the next installment of Shiny is meant to be a double album with over 20 tracks iirc. He's also said that he's leaning more toward older production styles (hopefully this means they're firing Rick Rubin), and also recently said he's open to working with Butch Vig again.

But this is all Billy so take it with a sea's worth of salt.

There was also talk about a deluxe edition of Machina/Machina II in the works a while back but I think that may be on the backburner to new content.

Also, they could have picked a WAY better track on Colbert to promote Shiny and their tour. Play Marchin' On or Silvery Sometimes or anything other than the most boring track on the album please.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know of any beef. Billy just runs a Q&A on his Instagram (he's even answered me before) and someone asked if he'd work with Butch again and he said yes.

Proof: https://www.reddit.com/r/SmashingPumpkins/comments/co3pfa/dont_tease_us_like_this_billy_my_heart_wont_be/

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Drive-by posting to this thread that I unironically and wholeheartedly believe that “Mayonnaise” is the greatest song in the history of music and it is unlikely that any artist will ever conceive of something 10% as brilliant.

It's definitely in my top 5 favorite songs.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It amuses me to know that Untitled was supposed to be in Shrek or something but they ended up going with Smash Mouth or something.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Hot take: Luna is also in my top 5 and like no one ever talks about that track

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I feel like Mayonaise won the big reddit Best Pumpkins song poll a few years ago, so it's a pretty popular take. I think for me I'd probably go Real Love. I would really love that Machine II remaster though because it sounds kind of. . .fuzzy?

That's because what we have of Machina II is a rip from one of the very few vinyls made. Then again, Real Love was also put on the Rotten Apples Greatest Hits album and I don't think it's any different?

Speaking of Machina II, Let Me Give The World To You is a song that has been so forgotten it's criminal. I have a hard time deciding which version of it I like more though-- the Machina II version or the Adore outtake one. The Machina II version feels more "wall of sound" Pumpkins-y, but the Adore outtake one seems to fit the song better.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Machina I is great and I rank it above Adore, actually. But that's also because I REALLY have to be in the mood for Adore's intense gloominess because the middle tracks of the album put me to sleep if I'm not in the mood.

I want to like Machina II more but it feels so unpolished and so unrefined that a lot of the tracks are hard to enjoy. Like, the Machina II version of Try, Try, Try would be great if it didn't have that awful WEE-OOO WEE-OOO, WEE-OOO WEE-OOO throughout the whole song. Some tracks are home runs though.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Slow Dawn is real good. Would love to hear it more cleaned up.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Billy posted:

"This is the first album since the album that came out in 2000, 'Machina', where me, James and Jimmy worked on something for a very long time. It's got a greater conceptual base, and it's probably a wider swath of music. The last one was kind of like, 'Let's just jump in, record some stuff real fast, and let it be what it is,' ... so I'm excited about this, because we're kind of back in the lane of taking a risk, and trying to bring something new to the table, as opposed to just aping what we're known for."

I like how he's basically just admitting that Shiny Vol. I was a total rush job. Explains why it was so short and unpolished despite having some good ideas on it.

Hoping the double album is good and it will not disappoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Don't quote me on this, but I want to say I remember hearing that Billy himself was doing the producing?

That said, I'd love to hear what Butch Vig could do with their modern stuff.