Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

It's... okay. Sounds like a banger live, but I am already bracing myself for the studio version where Billy's voice drowns everything else out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

So far I'm finding it to be less obnoxious than Cyr was but I'm not vibing with this (6 songs in so far).

Like... if this didn't have the SP name attached to it, I wouldn't feel so negatively about it. Is that weird? This isn't particularly bad on its own-- it feels like a modern take on Depeche Mode or something, which I don't hate. But in context of the band at large, and knowing what SP used to be, it's such a disappointment to me. We'll always have the first five albums (and the B-sides that came with those) at least.

Good on Billy for doing what he wants to do, and gently caress the critics, but I can't help but see this as a "I'll listen to it once and move on" album. At least it's not a "I was so excited for this and ended up canceling my preorder for the album" situation like it was with Cyr, which I couldn't stand even when I was listening to it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Final verdict: it's pretty bland but it's fine I guess. The only track I find myself going back to is Hooray! because it's so loving weird. I feel like I'm listening to Billy's take on J-pop and I'm... kinda here for it? Like no, I don't think I'd want a whole album of this, but it's certainly creative.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah this is as relevant to Mellon Collie or Machina as a chicken nugget is to a luxurious steak dinner.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I was getting Jpop vibes from it myself. Like Billy heard a Kyary Pamyu Pamyu track and was all "hah I can do that".

Either way, album isn't something I'll be coming back to much, if at all, but I went into it expecting *wet fart sounds* and came out of it more pleasantly surprised than that. It's not bad, it's just not what I want. And that's fine.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
After listening to a few songs from ATUM one more time, I loaded up Machina again. I haven't listened to the album in a couple years, I kinda burnt myself out on SP and after Cyr I was fine just kinda moving on for a bit.

Oh my god it's so good. Nothing Billy has wrote since then comes close to how much The Everlasting Gaze loving rips or how absolutely heartwrenching Stand Inside Your Love does, and I forgot just how great they were.

Aside from the musical choices, the lack of life in the percussion, the lack of guitar in general, and Billy's voice being front and center where it absolutely does not belong, the biggest thing that separates pre-breakup SP from modern SP is the loving lyrics. Billy's always been a flowery lyricist, but at least the lyrics to most songs pre-breakup made some kinda sense that I could attach to some part of my feelings. Something I can attune myself with, lyrics that mean something to me. But everything I've heard from Oceania on is just a bunch of poetic nonsense that means absolutely loving nothing to me, and while Billy coyly insists that the songs have meanings but won't tell, I don't really believe it. There's poetry, and then there's trying to decipher this arcane meaninglessness into something that I can connect with, and that's the part that disappoints me the most. The music could still sound incredible, but I just don't feel anything from it like I did from the raw, gutwrenching lyrics and emotions that he poured into his earlier work.

ATUM is fine, I swear my opinion of it is just north of neutral despite my fussing. The album is fine-- it's Billy I'm more annoyed with. Don't call this a successor or spiritual sequel to your best work, it's such a weird self-own, dude. Just do your weird flowery poo poo and ride that vibe all you like-- be the you you love best! I genuinely respect that-- but it's time to stop overpromising and under-delivering.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 16, 2022

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Framboise posted:

Final verdict: it's pretty bland but it's fine I guess. The only track I find myself going back to is Hooray! because it's so loving weird. I feel like I'm listening to Billy's take on J-pop and I'm... kinda here for it? Like no, I don't think I'd want a whole album of this, but it's certainly creative.

I want to revise my opinion. I loving hate Hooray! now because I haven't listened to it in days but it's been stuck in my head since then.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

yes

I looked and saw how long the interview was, and neither person is someone I can tolerate listening to for more than 10 minutes*.

*Obviously I can listen to Billy's music for much longer, but listening to him talk is something else. Beato is just a lethal dose of boomer energy at that length of time.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Kingo Ligma posted:

Holy poo poo Billy posted that there's a reissue box set of the Zwan album coming.

On one hand that would be rad, on the other he posts something that everyone wants that never ends up happening like once a week.

It's been over a decade since the machina reissue was supposed to happen hasn't it

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Just as with Act 1, eh.

It's pretty sad that Beguiled is already underwhelming to me, but it's still the best track on the album simply because it's allowing Iha and Chamberlin to do something.

Billy's lyrics are either completely nonsensical poetic babbling (which can still sound cool if it had any hook at all) or repetitive and deep as a puddle, and his singing lacks any emotional texture whatsoever anymore, and a lot of the music follows along with it. Most tracks sound mostly the same and I was losing track of what track I was on because of it.

I'd be more forgiving of the slow, lumbering synth droning if there were any dynamics to the songs, but the tunes feel so static and sometimes I can hardly tell where the chorus is in a song, if there is one. So rare is it for anything to have a hook that catches my ear and makes me want to hear it again. Jimmy feels like he may as well be a drum machine for many of the songs, pretty much carrying the same beat through their entirety. There are times when I wonder if the synthy stuff is being done by the guitars via pedals and filters and stuff, but I can't really tell.

Still not really impressed either way. Pretty forgettable. I would say Billy really needs to step it up but I neither think he wants to, or even could if he did want to. This is the music he wants to be making and the direction the band has been going, and good on him for doing what he wants rather than what fans want, but "we have Depeche Mode at home" with dry old-timey poetry just ain't doing it for me, personally.

I just look back to how Adore was such a left turn from what Gish/Siamese Dream/Mellon Collie was doing, but still managed to be fantastic, memorable, and beautiful. Meanwhile everything Billy's put out since the Teargarden era has been an even more left turn from everything prior to it-- to where I cannot tell if the music is emotionally bland or just so mired in a swamp of syntax and metaphors that the meaning behind the words are all but lost. The wall of sound crumbled, and the vampire of the world drained all the life from the music. Muzak with lyrics from the 18th century, with a couple diamonds in the rough.

EDIT: I realize I said comes across as harsh and it kind of is, but it's kind of hard to contain my disappointment at this point. I was kind of hoping part 2 would have a bit more oomph to it after part 1 feeling underwhelming to me, but it really does seem to be what The Smashing Pumpkins have become as opposed to who they once were.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 1, 2023

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
gonna drop a hot take in this here thread

mellon collie is really loving good. started listening to it again during my commute and it kicks so much rear end and is a great palate cleanser after listening to ATUM

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

polyester concept posted:

Every single summary of this album I have come across, including those praising it, reads like a review on a recipe website where the person clearly didn't follow the recipe at all and instead substituted their own techniques or ingredients.

"pretty decent but I don't like how ..."
"this is ok but it would be better if ..."
"there are some good songs here if you ignore ..."

I think a lot of people are just too scared to call something bad when it is, as if the creator of the content is going to read their comment specifically and call them out for it.

ATUM just ain't it. If you like it, cool, but the Pumpkins of today are not the same band they were 25 years ago, no matter how bad Billy wants to think they are. I was really holding out hope for later parts of the album to be better, so I was cautiously optimistic, but being cautious was the correct decision imo.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Baron von Eevl posted:

Prince literally did this and it was the funkiest thing he had put out in like a decade.

Never mind. Feel my ire and lay down the funk, Billy.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I agree with this, though part of me wonders how many people's opinions would be entirely swayed by someone else's words.

I dunno, Anthony Fantano seems to be able to sway his fans' opinions pretty well with his reviews unless he has one they really see as a hot take. :p

quote:

ATUM, Cyr, Monuments to an Elegy.... Am I missing another album (aside from Teargarden)? I remember having an encyclopedic knowledge of all of the Pumpkins albums and songs, but after Oceania, it's gotten so hard to care. I try and give them all an earnest few listens, but I can likely already tell that this isn't going to stick with me. Or if it is, I'll have it have it playing constantly during some sort of formative period of my life (at 39, does one even have any more of those?) so it at least gets some nostalgic side-piece it can use to make itself endearing to me.

You forgot Shiny and Oh So Whatever, Vol 1: No Class, No Feature, No Fun. :v:

I don't think there's ever a point in one's life that isn't formative, tbh. The phrase is officially used for the childhood years where your brain is a sponge and every experience you have carves the path for the way you react to things for the rest of your life, but I don't think life ever stops being "formative". I'm going to be 33 in a few days and I'm not really anything like the person I was 10 years ago, because my life has changed pretty significantly since then and it's changed my perspective and maturity level on a lot of things.

I am sure that in 10 years when I am 43, I will have had many experiences that will have changed who I am by that point, too.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I never cared much for that one, myself.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Speaking of live vs album, while I think the album version is perfect, this recording of An Ode to No One (which I think is from their final music video compilation DVD) is :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA0sNVueB78

This, this poo poo here. THIS is why ATUM is kind of an insult to what the band was in the past.

Just loving look at Jimmy. He's going all fist of the north loving star on those drums and is doing so while making it look loving effortless.

Then you hear a post-Teargarden song and it feels like he's just kept on a leash. Just bein' a slow, steady drum machine.

Let the man thrash those drums, Billy.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
That's what I had meant earlier when I said I was unsure if the synthy stuff was being done with the guitars with different effects and such.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

A Big... Dog posted:

WHY is he singing like THAT

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Billy can't handle the idea that a Machina reissue will outsell anything he's made since the reunion lol

RELEASE THE ALBUM(s), BILLY. IT'S THE ONLY ONE I DON'T OWN IN SOME FORM :( (pre-2000s, at least)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
There's a part of me that's kinda... relieved? that Billy's purported claims of making spiritual sequels to the pre-2000 albums have never actually come close to actually attempting to emulate or go back to those styles because I feel like, at this point, it'd just not sound good with the way he sings and puts his vocals front and center in the mix. I'd be able to forgive dumb esoteric flowery poetry lyrics if it all sounded good, but I don't think he'd be able to do it without it sounding like he's yelling through a megaphone through a wall of sound that no longer exists.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Oh hey, maybe we'll see it by 2033.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
That article is definitely written by someone who would intentionally go to Madame ZuZu's. Reads like the meandering drivel Billy wrote for all the blurbs for each song in the rerelease sets, lol. Fascinating to read, but also have you going "oh my god how does anyone have a conversation with you for more than 2 minutes".

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Baron von Eevl posted:

Let Me Give The World To You, produced by Rick Robin at great expense and unreleased (that recording) until the box set came out.

One of the absolute best songs from that era, too.

I'm going to give disc 3 of ATUM a try. This time I have absolutely zero expectations of it being good after holding out hope for the first parts, so who knows. I could be surprised.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Framboise posted:

I'm going to give disc 3 of ATUM a try. This time I have absolutely zero expectations of it being good after holding out hope for the first parts, so who knows. I could be surprised.

Better than the first two. Still apathetic toward it at best. Some parts were ear-catching but the rest is the same space-rock-y stuff that all blends together to me.

My spotify auto-played Let Me Give The World To You (Adore) after ATUM ended and it's like settling into a recliner after a long hike.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

The Black Stones posted:

Here’s my thoughts on Atum.

I don’t hate it. It’s fine, there’s some tracks I really like. It just has the same problem that I ultimately have with CYR.

It’s utterly forgettable. I’ve listened to it 2 times fully over (maybe 3?) and I can’t tell you a single song where I’m like “I have to listen to that again” like I can for stuff even like Zeitgeist or heck, Oceania.

It’s all just muddled together. He makes no effort for the songs to have their own identity. I got to the last track of the album on disc 3, and I was so excited because it was just a keyboard playing and I thought he was going to do a nod to something like Farewell and Goodnight where he silently sings to a simple melody. Then the fart noise synthesizers kicked in. Someone please find Billy’s recording studio and steal his synths. He loves synths. Like, everything has to have the same stupid farting synth noises and I am over it. It’s funny reading the talk about him using broken guitars to make cool noise and I can just imagine these days that instead of doing that modern Billy would just be like “or we can use a synth.”

Pumpkins will always be one of my favourite bands but it’s definitely not for their new music. I’m glad Billy is finally happy but I wish this incarnation of the band was called literally anything else because this just isn’t the Pumpkins anymore.

The thing for me is that not only are there 3 albums worth of songs, it's that they also all sound so very very very similar that even if I wanted to go back and re-listen to a bit, I don't even remember what track it was. All the songs all kind of run together like a gray amalgamate of rinsed colors from watercolor paint. You can tell some cool colors were used here and there, but they're lost in the slurry.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
shut UP, billy :nallears:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

syntaxfunction posted:

Zeitgeist should be completely remixed and remastered by someone not connected to the band who knows what the gently caress they're doing.

Also Zeitgeist was the start of Billy using and abusing the everloving poo poo out of the "swallow syllable". I don't know the term, but the thing where he goes to sing something heartfelt, usually higher in vocal range, and it sounds like he swallows the first syllable as he sings it.

And now it's loving EVERYWHERE.

It may very well be the thing that turns me off most about post-2000 pumpkins.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Pre-2000 Pumpkins and post-2000 Pumpkins are two different bands. The former set the standard that the latter has been riding its own coattails on so hard that it drags them through the mud.

I tried hard to like reunion Pumpkins but I'm tired of pretending to like the modern take of a band that hasn't existed for 23 years. The reunion show in 2018 was great, if not only because it primarily focused on that time.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

SUNKOS posted:

My personal stance is definitely the same as others however, with the opinion that the band I like ceased to exist with that final Metro show and they're never coming back. It's why I only care about the Machina reissue so that once it's released I can stop keeping up with the band. I sometimes wonder if there's a large chunk of fans who are in the same spot.

Probably, and I'm sure Billy is aware of it too. Why else has he been dangling the reissue like a carrot in front of everyone's faces for so long? If he wanted it reissued it'd be fairly trivial, you know, compared to writing, recording, and producing a bunch of subpar albums (one of which being a triple album).

I just don't think he actually wants to do it because he knows a bunch of people will peace out afterward and he can't handle living in his own shadow.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Baron von Eevl posted:

It is absolutely not trivial to navigate rights issues and to negotiate with a label that you're not even on anymore.

Conversely, writing, self recording, and self releasing bad music is very easy, especially if you have mad resources and connections already, as well as a built in fanbase.

Does he not have rights to his own music?

It just seems strange that if he's got the resources and connections to do one, why hasn't he got it for the other?

Genuine questions, I'm not being snarky.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

hatelull posted:

With zero context can I just say that "Bodies" is a great loving track. I want to live in these guitars.

I think the new rule should be after a run of "Billy is an idiot" posts, we have to remind ourselves that this dude was in the band that gave us "Thru the Eyes of Ruby."

I don't think any of us have forgotten that. Hell, I'm wearing my Mellon Collie shirt today. The album kicks rear end and always will.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Has it seriously already been a year? Feels like it's just been a few months.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Hooray is Billy Corgan's legacy work now. Most memorable track on that trainwreck of an album.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

syntaxfunction posted:

Billy just really doesn't want to look stupid while he's sleeping.

Also wake me up if the next album is actually a good one (lol) and has guitars and hooks (lmao). Actually, Billy doesn't seem to realise it wasn't the lack of guitars that made the albums not worth listening to. I don't think anyone is hearing Eye and going "gently caress this it hasn't got enough guitars".

I still think Confessions of a Dopamine Addict is a fun song because it reminds me of weird but not bad trips, and the nothing lyrics help that.

I still think it's funny that Shiny was a Vol 1. Billy loves planning big, he's just not great at follow through. He is good at just pivoting and then going "they were the other ones all along!" tho which is very funny.

What's worse is I'm fairly sure Billy responded to the criticism of lack of guitars by saying they WERE being used-- I guess it's possible they're just heavily, heavily synth'd out?

Still disappointing to my ears tho.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

No, don't do this to me.... I can't again.

You know, if Oceania hadn't been good, great even, I would've lost hope long ago.

But goddammit, it was so much better than Zeitgeist and the teargarden stuff (though Superchrist sounds, to me, like it was right out of Pastichio Medley).

Can that happen again?

Seriously doubt it. If ATUM was supposed to be the spiritual successor to Mellon Collie or whatever the gently caress Billy claimed it would be, he was either playing the heel as he so loves to do or the band as we used to know them is cooked and lost to Billy's synthsoaked space whimsies, and future album listens, at least for me, will be done out of pessimistic masochism rather than fragile optimism.

Like, this band gave us Gish and Siamese Dream. Surely there's some of that energy left somewhere in there, right? But I ain't holding my breath anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
look as someone who has recently gotten really into tea I'd be more than happy to help keep a good teahouse open since we don't loving have any in my area

don't want no vegan meatball sub tho

edit: looking on Madame ZuZu's site, I found this: https://madamezuzus.com/products/xxx

This is genuinely kinda cool, but not something I'm about to throw $85 + tax and shipping at. An official vinyl release of super early Pumpkins tracks.

quote:

TRACKLIST

Side A:

There It Goes (Live on WNUR 1988)
My Eternity (Live on WNUR 1988)
Interview (Live on WNUR 1988)
Venus In Furs (Live on WZRD 1989)
Snap (Live on WZRD 1989)

Side B:

East (Live on WZRD 1989)
Cinnamon Girl (Live on WZRD 1989)
Nothing And Everything (Live on WZRD 1989)
Under Your Spell (Live on WZRD 1989)
Rhinoceros (Live on WZRD 1989)

Side C:

Death of A Mind (Live on WZRD 1989)
Spiteface (Live on WZRD 1989)
Interview (Live on WZRD 1989)
There It Goes (Live on WZRD 1989)

Side D:

Starchildren-Past Midnight
Starchildren-Faeding
Starchildren-Lolly
Starchildren-Reasons To Shine