Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

syntaxfunction posted:

Devin Townsend is the superior pale white, tall as gently caress Nosferatu musician.

Shiny Vol 1 (remember all that lol) had a couple tracks I enjoyed, the rest meh. Since then I've just checked out completely. I enjoy their older stuff, honestly up to Oceania, but I don't see much reason to pay attention to what they're doing now.

The wild thing is it isn't even the change in style. It's that they don't do it well. Confessions of a Dopamine Addict is a banger, and the only track I vibes with on Cyr. The problem isn't style, it's talent :v:

Interesting. I feel that 'Monuments to an Elegy' has been their best post breakup album.

Also....as long as Corgan continues along with this synth rock thing that he's been pursuing....the albums will be immediately forgettable for me. Eventually he'll move on to something else....hopefully something better.

Edit number 2. I decided against buying tickets to see them in concert this time around. If I lived in Canada.....and been around for one of the dates where Our Lady Peace was filling in for Jane's Addiction.....I absolutely would have bought tickets.

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, so I talk a lot of poo poo about recent Pumpkins (we all do, tbf), but I found Aeronaut far and away not only one of the best songs he's written in recent memory, but it stands up against great, classic SP. It doesn't necessarily 'fit' with older stuff, but emotionally, it's as impactful, to me, as something from MCIS and/or Adore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36_4dx_0Qdk

I never really checked out Corgan's solo stuff.....but really you could almost consider Smashing Pumpkins his solo stuff too considering how much control he has over the writing, composing, and direction of the music. Never heard this song....but it's very good. I'll have to check out the rest.

Side note.....small annoyance......but Corgan sings about "lovers" too much in his songs.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

I have faith that Billy will circle back around to making badass music with loud distorted guitars and banging rear end drums. Someday.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

I've listened to both Act I & II previously. But I decided to listen from beginning to end today....now that it's been released in its entirety. In my opinion.....this is a good single album with two extra albums worth of fluff packed in-between. So I guess I'm not going to ding it too much because of the extra fluff. That's just an annoyance that makes me more likely to cherry pick the tracks I like and forget that a full album exists on my shelf.

Seriously....Corgan has to have people around him begging him to ditch the heavily synth usage. A lot of the fluff tracks can't even really be considered "interesting" because they all sound so much like other tracks on the album. Also....nobody wants a "rock opera". Save the fluff for a deluxe edition.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Just when I got used to.....and accepted that digipaks are the new standard packaging for CDs. ATUM as a triple album digi is flimsy as all hell.....and will fall apart if you touch it wrong. Will say that they accompanying booklet is pretty great. Simple....but provides the tag-along narrative for each song. So I do appreciate that....and it'll make me far more likely to relisten to the entire album.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Noise Machine posted:

Youtube rip of the Acoustic livestream is up - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-GbT5Xs51Q

This is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Got the MCIS 4LP box set and it's very nice. Nicer than I had expected.