Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Framboise posted:

and live DVD

we can only hope what this will be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I can't wait for the Machina I and II remasters, especially Machina II. The vinyl rips are all questionable at best IIRC. Some of them added all kinds of stupid EQ and filters to try and make the vinyl sound "better", but I think they were just compensating for lovely equipment or lovely ripping techniques in the first place. I think the "good" copy I have is from Q101 but even still I'd really like to hear the originals. The few tracks that made it onto Rotten Apples sound so much better than the vinyl rips.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Calling josh freese a nin drummer is a stretch. Might as well call him an Avril Lavigne drummer while we’re at it

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Yeah I wasn't calling you out, more so it;s the article headline that's clickbait.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

He was the NIN touring drummer in 2007-2010 and did some work on their albums during that time. I don't know if it's correct to call him a studio musician, because he does a lot of solo stuff too, but he does take a lot of studio gigs. He has drummed on several studio albums for:

Devo
Guns N Roses
A Perfect Circle
Rob Zombie
Avril Lavigne
The Offspring
Kelly Clarkson
Evanescence
Ween
Clay Aiken
Static-X
Sting
Queens of the Stone Age
Miley Cyrus
Katy Perry
Selena Gomez
Weezer
Bruce Springsteen

and dozens, dozens more.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Yeah the zeitgeist tour wasn’t bad.

Wanna feel old? The pumpkins have been “reunited” now longer than the original lineup pre breakup

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 5, 2019

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

gently caress I’m old

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I don't buy that Machina II sounds lovely because it's a vinyl rip. I have heard tons of vinyl rips of commercial albums taken on bottom of the barrel consumer turntables, and they sound "fine". It sounds lovely because Billy wanted it to sound that way.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

New Billy solo album out on the 22nd:

quote:

COTILLIONS: NOV 22, this double album, a true labor of love, is available on all digital platforms. All you have to do is pre-subscribe so you can see the song titles and have it waiting for you the moment it comes out. Don’t miss the chance to hear it for yourself before others tell you what my songs are or aren’t. There is a reason I trust you, the people who support me day in and day out, to decide whether or not my efforts are worthy. We live in a different world now, where an artist can speak directly to you without the filter of mass media shaping your heart and opinions before you’ve even had a chance to decide whether this music speaks to you. And this is absolutely an album from my heart. And so is the new SP, which will be out soon enough. I can’t thank you enough for the support I’ve been given to make moments like this possible. Soon, we’ll have details on how you can order a vinyl copy, of which there will be 2 editions; the Zuzu’s version being limited and having more in it. Lastly, please give love to the artist who made the statues on the front cover, @avassfez and shot the cover and all images within, @jennyfaridathastrom. Now, go pre-subscribe for this record. OUT TO YOU Nov 22
-WPC

01 To Scatter One’s Own
02 Hard Times
03 Jubilee
04 Fragile, The Spark
05 Cotillions
06 Faithless Darlin’
07 Colosseum
08 Martinets
09 Buffalo Boys
10 Dancehall
11 Cri de Coeur
12 Like Lambs
13 Rider
14 Apologia
15 Neptulius
16 6+7
17 Anon

Wtf is a cotillion you ask?

quote:

The cotillion (also cotillon or French country dance) is a social dance, popular in 18th-century Europe and America. Originally for four couples in square formation, it was a courtly version of an English country dance, the forerunner of the quadrille and, in the United States, the square dance.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

billy's new album is out today and it's a bluegrass album

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Musically it's not bad, his singing is atrocious though.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yawn

where is the machina remaster billy

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I upgraded my turntable cartridge and the notoriously lovely vinyl rerelease of MCIS actually sounds good now. I heard some people say it was fine and that you just needed a better needle. At the time I wrote it off but I guess they weren't lying/crazy.

Zero sounded loving atrocious before, just a distorted mess, now it sounds normal and I haven't even aligned the cartridge properly yet. It's a shame, because a lot of people returned their copies of MCIS, but it turns out you just need to spend $250+ USD on a better needle :smug:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Lol that the remastered MCIS vinyl set ended up costing the same amount as the original in most cases on the used market

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Yeah it was another limited thing, pretty sure it's only available used now.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Baron von Eevl posted:

I like how unfaithful it is to the original vinyl release too, which had a wildly different song order than the CD and cassette versions. My understanding is that the vinyl mastering process actually hosed a lot of poo poo up like they cut Zero way too loud for how close to the center of the record it is and it gets kinda warped.

Yeah it's horrendous unless you spend big bucks on an expensive stylus that can track it a bit easier. All songs that are close to the spindle on that pressing sound bad, but Zero is turbofucked.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I finally got around to listening to the two newest songs, all I have to say holy poo poo he is finally singing like his old self again. It sounds like these could have came out around the early 2000s, like Zwan era (just talking about the style of singing, not the music or production).

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

it's loving weird to see the 90s being fetishized the same way the 70s was back in the 90s.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

announcement video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcQj4TsaDO0

highlights:

there is going to be yet another new album soon (after cyr) that's a continuation of the story behind the mellon collie and machina concepts
machina remaster is currently being mixed
there is going to be a mellon collie themed tour

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

GatGC is sooo good but where my Age of Innocence heads at?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Framboise posted:

I could swear I read somewhere that he did acid? Something about the "open your eyes to these mustard lies" being something he heard when tripping so he put it in Rhinoceros or something.

lmfao

"Well, it's a horrible video, I'll start there. The concept was, originally we were supposed to play in a very, very small red room. And when we got to the set that day, it was a very, very large red room. And we were like, what're we supposed to do? So the video is basically like, us being bored, um, most of the video. Literally, like us being bored on camera. At one point the record company wanted to release it as a single, and we're like "But the song's 5 minutes long", & they were trying to figure out how to edit it. That's kinda what I mean by the band's naivete, I mean- now you would say, that's a pretty good pop song, "she knows, she knows, she knows", good cat- good hook. We had no consciousness about time or length, we just would write the songs, & if they were 5 minutes long, or 7 minutes long, that's how long they were. That song is actually somewhat inspired by my first LSD trip. I was tripping my brains out for the first time, and- I was probably 22? 21? And uh, I had this prophetic, you know, this beautiful, inspired moment, I thought, "I must write this down." So I scribbled on a piece of paper this great insight, & I woke up the next day & I was like, "What was that thing that I scribbled down?" & it said, "Open your eyes to these mustard lies." So I actually put the line in the song."

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I was a bad Machina fan

same deal here. 2000 was peak nu-metal in highschool for me. i wanted it to kick rear end but was shelved for a while.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Now that the band has been "reunited" longer than the original lineup even existed, is it wrong that there are post reunion eras that I wish they'd go back to? There was a brief time after Zeitgeist where it seemed like they were experimenting with more garage/psych sounds and I was really stoked. Superchrist, As Rome Burns, Gossamer were all great and I was excited for new pumpkins music again. But then Teargarden happened

I wish I could find this in higher quality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CUAu08RmmA

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 26, 2020

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

it blows my mind to see the insane fans in the youtube comments declaring literally every new release as his best work yet. who are these people.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the videos are so cringey

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I am sure Jimmy has very personal reasons why he doesn't work with other bands.

Also, there are a bunch of amazing drummers that are relatively unknown. Drummers typically don't get as much credit as other band members, except by fellow musicians or critics. Also Grohl was never popular as the Nirvana drummer, he only got fame as the frontman of Foo Fighters afterward. Then people were like, oh yeah, he is an amazing drummer too. Dave has a very public facing, extroverted personality it seems like. I don't think I have ever heard Jimmy speak more than a few words.

And then you have people like Josh Freese who has played for every band on the planet.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 6, 2021

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

syntaxfunction posted:

Apparently Billy has a signature amp from some rando company I've never heard of, for way too much money (limited of course!).

It sounds kind of naff to be honest.

https://guitar.com/news/gear-news/carstens-amplification-grace-amplifier/

why doesn't he play any loving riffs like that on the new poo poo

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I always heard "in the rear end" in annie-dog when he says "and in the yes"

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i know music and art in general is a constant struggle between doing what you want and doing what your fans want, but jesus christ billy, nobody gives a poo poo about any kind of "story" behind these albums. is there even a single fan who is asking "gosh i wish i knew how the lush and epic saga of mellon collie ends"

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

He sings "I'm the face in your dreams of glass" in Zero, which can be vaguely interpreted as an early reference to the Glass character in Machina. That's all I ever picked up after years and years of listening.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

machina remaster when

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

For me, MCIS brings me back to taking back alley shortcuts on my paper route during the winter

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

The continuation of MCIS and Machina is the continuation of the story of his characters Zero and Glass, whatever the gently caress that even is. It has nothing to do with the sound.

I am listening to the first single now but I can't bring myself to watch the video

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

It sounds how the video looks. Low effort. There's really nothing much else to say.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

there is not a single band or artist from the 90s that is still releasing compelling music today.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I first saw them live after driving 12 hours to see them in Vancouver on their zeitgeist tour, because I wasn’t old enough to travel before they broke up in 2000. I knew it wast the best comeback album but I still listened to it a lot because drat it, I wanted it to be good. I still sometimes wear the t shirt from that tour when im being lazy around the house

e: Zwan was good, actually. Silvery Sometimes kinda sounds like a zwan song imo

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 27, 2022

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

To Sheila came on shuffle today unexpectedly and I forgot how beautiful that song is. I don’t necessarily wish he would make a return to the heavy grunge sound of siamese dream or mellon collie, but god drat, what happened billy. why can’t you make em like you used to

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

There is absolutely no reason not to release it digitally and do a vinyl press later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

in 1998 when adore came out i was watching the ava adore music video on tv and my little cousin who was 11 said "they're an old band now".

most prophetic poo poo ever