Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
holy lol

Billy Corgan posted:

the album, as yet to be written, would be conceptual in nature, where each of us would play a garish, cartoonish version of our public personae to both invite controversy and curiousity

Billy Corgan posted:

With touring, the remaining members quickly abandoned the agreed upon conceptual / performance aspects, leaving me to play my character alone, much to the consternation of fans and media alike.

imagine giving a poo poo that Billy was the only person on stage taking this seriously

"but mah immersion" :qq:

olives black fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Billy Corgan posted:

“It would be probably lean more acoustic. I would think it’s a bit weird [to make] a wild Christmas records,” Corgan continued. “Although, I also like ‘Jingle Bell Rock’, which is basically 1950s rockabilly. But I don’t know. When I think Christmas music, I tend to think something you want to put on and sit around the tree with the kids and not rock out to. I don’t see us doing a rocking-out Christmas album.”

I love how every time Billy gets in front of cameras he appears semi-normal - self-aware and insightful, even - but as soon as they shut down he goes back to being a complete madman

olives black fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 20, 2018

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Kingo Ligma posted:

Lmao

"I've been cancelled, no one likes my music anymore!!!!!!"

"Write good songs again and for fucks sake turn your vocals down in the mix. Way down"

"Cancelled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

*Is so successful he can fly his pet professional wrestlers to Australia for some godforsaken reason*

There was an interview from a few years ago where some critic or something gave him a middling review and he said something along the lines of "what do I have to do to be in the club?"

Motherfucker you went on Joe Rogan and bragged about buying a Ferrari with cash

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
https://video.twimg.com/amplify_video/1663021302851031051/vid/1280x720/XpFbCqCmw-CSY99l.mp4

i have albums by literal murderers in my music collection and yet i've never wanted to yeet something of mine into the bin harder than i do rn

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Not to start a big religion argument but how you can be a big Christian and also believe in lizard people doesn't make sense to me. If man was made in God's image then what does that make lizard people?

Anyway, I watched about two minutes of that video and shut it off. But then some of Adore came up on shuffle and I listened to it all last night so just ignore anything Billy says and listen to the good tunes imo

I'm at the point where I feel comfortable in saying that he should be given the J.K. Rowling treatment - don't give him any money for his stuff. :filez: it or buy it used imo. That or Spotify I guess since no one makes any scratch off of it anyway afaik

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

And I am
going through
CHANGES
Cause I
Bill Maher life
around you.

:same:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Yeah, butt that would involve actually pirating the new stuff, and... no thanks.

ah yeah, good point

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

It’s also possible that known exaggerator and crazy guy billiam corgi is fibbing about a super costly repress of a (relatively speaking) obscure album to help keep himself in the good graces of his diehard fans so they’ll keep funding his current projects

*DING DING DING*

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
What's the wait time like for cassette duplication?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

You know that theory about how the universe is going to expand to a point, and then collapse down how it started, only to start expanding again, creating life just as it did and everything anyone has ever done they will all do again?

That long, minus like 30 years.

:smith:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

MassRafTer posted:

You would love ATUM since Billy sings about poo poo that bugs him, cancel culture!

yeah I'm sorry Robert, I think Billy's off the deep end permanently

it's not even a backhanded sorry, I'm older now and I know what it feels like to lose a creative force that you love

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
You ever get hit with the thought that you're the Billy Corgan in someone else's life story hard enough that it fucks you up for at least a good 5 minutes

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

SUNKOS posted:

I think it was awful that he actually got poo poo for doing that. Why was a CNN anchor mocking Billy for doing that? Oh no, a rock star posed with some kittens for a humane organization in his hometown. I can't wrap my head around how anyone could see that and decide to poo poo on it.

CNN is made by and for shitlibs

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Don't forget how Howard Stern once claimed that he gave Billy (back) his fame. I believe it was because Howard had Billy on to promote Oceania.

Other than me, I don't know how much cross-goon-pollination we have between this thread and the HSS thread for anyone here to already be aware of this, but either way, it's eye-roll worthy.

I remember that interview. My favorite part was Howard Stern backing Billy up on his distaste for James Iha doing a solo record without his knowledge. Howard was like "yeah, that would affect you guys, he should have put the band first."

How. How, motherfucker, is Iha's solo record going to affect you? If it sucks, won't that just confirm to everyone that you're the irreplaceable one? Isn't that what you've wanted all along? Because if not then just leave him the gently caress alone.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Maybe the situation changed during Mellon Collie, but I remember multiple sources stating that Billy re-recorded most if not all of Iha's and D'Arcy's parts on Siamese Dream. He's also stated in multiple interviews that he didn't think much of Iha and D'Arcy as musicians.

With all that in mind, where did he get off trying to keep them under his thumb like that? If they're effectively just employees who show up for live performances and photo shoots then leave them alone when they're not on the clock.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Djarum posted:

Billy recorded much the guitar and bass on Gish and SD because he could get them done in one take. Back then studio time was very expensive and they weren't a successful band yet so the record company isn't going to shell out more money to get something done. After Siamese Dream was a huge success they basically were able to do whatever they wanted for the most part, which is why you didn't have Billy playing everything anymore. Butch Vig has basically said this consistently and I'll take most non-Billy takes on things as the truth since Billy likes to tell stories when it suits him.

That makes more sense. Still sounds like working with Billy is creatively stifling as gently caress, though. l remember him complaining about two of his most recent bandmates having a separate project, as well. If that's truly not a problem for him, why doesn't he just do what Devin Townsend does and contract people if he's that worried about people's availability?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

hatelull posted:

With zero context can I just say that "Bodies" is a great loving track. I want to live in these guitars.

I think the new rule should be after a run of "Billy is an idiot" posts, we have to remind ourselves that this dude was in the band that gave us "Thru the Eyes of Ruby."

Yeah it really is. I've had more than one day where I had that track on repeat the whole way home from work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Cheesus posted:

Back in the early 90s, I was surprised by the Metallica (black album) singles that included demos for the songs along with catty commentary from Lars on the sleeve, like "Jamez and Lars only; Jason and Kirk not around as usual!"

Based on that and other examples (although few so loudly obvious), I grew to understand that it wasn't uncommon for many bands to really be one (or two) person's vision and instead of any kind of democracy. Of course it's always been Billy Corgan's Smashing Pumpkins, James & Lars' Metallica, Kurt Cobain's Nirvana, Dave Grohl's Foo Fighters, Rivers Cuomo's Weezer, Josh Homme's Queens of the Stone Age etc. A degree of control that goes beyond, "Well they're the lead singer so of course the band wouldn't exist or continue without them."

In a Joe Rogan interview, Billy claims he understands that a lot of the Pumpkin's discord was sowed by him not going along with the "social currency" of a band and at least presenting the public the illusion that everyone equally matters. Like instead of taking up a magazine's offer to use only him on the cover, he felt he should have said, "Nope, the entire band or nothing". Another was not sharing songwriting credit so he pulled out far, far ahead of them financially.

Obviously that's his musing and I'd be curious if the other members would agree with those points or not.

Yeah, he does appear to have matured a little on that front in recent years. I don't feel like it's my place to comment on the sharing of songwriting credit as I'm not in the biz, but I I like think that I would have been very conscious of the importance of presenting a unified front to the media at all times.

Just neverending lols at how insane everyone's egos are in this business. You share a tour bus for months on end with these people, so maybe leave the bitching out of the liner notes and interviews? You got the money AND the creative control, that really oughta be enough :rolleyes:

olives black fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 27, 2023