Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

DrVenkman posted:

You would think that Corgan had gotten over it by now

No, I literally would not think this about anything ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

One of my great musical ambitions is to finally listen to all this Zwan material that people in this thread love and hope it clicks with me. I have the acoustic show from France and a bootleg called "Going to Riverview" which appears to have almost everything. Assuming I ever find myself not sitting in a house full of screaming children and can listen to music, will those be a good starting point?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think Tear was his first take at a Batman theme and Warner rejected it for not being rock enough. I hadn't heard that about Eye, but there were a bunch of things he did in 96 that at least got released well before Eye. I've heard The Last Song was cut in the first post-MCIS sessions, but I don't know when that was written vs Eye. I know there's a piano only demo for Eye recorded at sadlands but that was his living room so it could have been any time.

That Sadlands demo really made me appreciate Eye so much more. The electronic elements in the studio version are really heavy handed and haven't aged well, IMO, but at its core it's a fantastic song.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Kingo Ligma posted:

It looks like a still from Team America

:lol:

That is legitimately the hardest I've laughed in quite a while.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

SUNKOS posted:

Maybe it's just sitting around forgotten because Billy decided he wanted to do another double triple album as a sequel to that and Mellon Collie which I'm cautiously excited about but also kinda dreading.

Fixed that for you.

It seems like we have nothing but speculation at this point, but they did go on James Corden and spent quite a while hyping up the new triple album and it seems weird to do that if its not getting close to release. Apparently vinyl is a nightmare right now so everything I've heard is that they might be ready to release it, but are having to wait months for the vinyl to get created. I'd like to think that they'd release Machina and then the new album, but that doesn't seem logical and I expect we'll see it happen the other way around :(

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

The new album is called ATUM and will be released on 4/21/2023.

https://madamezuzus.com/collections...source=omnisend

Bummed that this probably means we won't see the Machina re-release for at least another year.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

What's the merch situation like?

There's some photos of merch from this weekend here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/SmashingPumpkins/comments/xu68ns/ill_try_to_get_better_pictures_but_here_is_what_i/

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Framboise posted:

Final verdict: it's pretty bland but it's fine I guess.

Yea, this is roughly my opinion. The weirdest thing to me about it is that its not only a Smashing Pumpkins album, but is billed as a sequel to MCIS and Machina when it sounds absolutely nothing like either of those albums. If it'd been a Billy solo album then sure, whatever, but it doesn't sound like the rest of the band was even in the same zipcode when this was recorded?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

And this is why I'm tempering my expectations until I actually see the drat thing released:

quote:

I put it down. I wrote about half of it, which was half a million words, and I turned it in. The publisher loved it and said, “We want to wait for you to finish it before we start putting it all out.” And I asked them, “Why don’t you start putting it out and I’ll keep writing?” So then it just ground to a halt, and I stopped writing, because it was such a herculean effort just to get to the half a million.

Some real intuitive publishers there..

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

Let Me Give The World To You, produced by Rick Robin at great expense and unreleased (that recording) until the box set came out.

I don't think its an exaggeration to say this could've totally changed the history of the band in a positive way. That song should've been a crossover hit like 1979, which would've completely changed the perception of Adore and set up Machina to have a lot better label support. I still think it could get dropped on a soundtrack or something and end up as one of those songs with a weird afterlife.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

hatelull posted:

I clearly haven't been paying enough attention to the lyrics on this thing.

A lot of bands can go on to make music late in their career that I don't like, but it takes someone like Billy Corgan to release new music that actually taints my perspective on the album that literally got me into music almost 30 years ago.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, it's a shaker chrysanthemum never got a studio takeour seemingly survived past their first few shows. It was an early favorite, reckons me a bit of Stars Fall In from the early SP days.

I wonder how many classic albums could be compiled from tracks Billy never recorded or released. There's a fan-made compilation of unreleased Zwan live recordings and IIRC its like 50+ songs as well as at least one really good acoustic show.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Djarum posted:

They cost money, big money. Billy isn’t getting crazy major label money anymore. They also aren’t selling the kind of numbers to make sense giving them points instead.

That seems reasonable, but Butch has produced 4 albums in the last decade only one of which is likely to have sold more than a SP album. Flood has done a lot more, but I suspect ATUM will outsell them all. Maybe they're getting paid more than the Pumpkins could afford to do those albums anyway, but I can't make the economics work in my head.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

SUNKOS posted:

Considering how many bands have been releasing records on vinyl I'm not so sure about the shortage being the reason for the Machina reissue delay either, I think it's more likely a combination of Billy foolishly prioritizing other things (we should have got the Machina reissue rather than Atum, which clearly needed a lot longer to cook) and probably seeing it as something that maintains interest in SP since people like us listen to the new crap while we keep waiting for Machina.

It's possible that Billy is responsible for the delay in the Machina reissue, but I believe he's pretty explicitly said that it's the record label holding it back. Corgan does dumb poo poo, but I'm always willing to believe that record labels are behaving in more petty and stupid ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

CornHolio posted:

On the other hand though, I'd be down to hear a guitar-heavy version of Eye. I still think the heavy version of Satur9 that was on Machina II was way better than the electronic version on Judas O.

The Soundworks demo of Eye which is just piano is fantastic and I wish there was a studio recording of a more stripped down version like that.