Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
the song is pretty whatever but jesus christ is it awesome to hear Jimmy Chamberlain again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3RO0UMsBss

it's sort of a wash

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do3tSdZucyA

well

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

I like the song more than Solara, but I agree about the chorus. I wish he'd opened it up a little more and went bigger with the chorus. Still pretty promising I think.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

crank them vox

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Chiming in to say I have always loved "Here Is No Why". It's one of those songs where I actually remember the first time I heard it, because the open guitar riff was so unique.

If you're going to hate on something from MCIS... please choose "Take Me Down".

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

It's on Spotify y'all

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

As long as William's voice is nice and loud, preferably much louder than everything else. I'd like to struggle to hear the drums over him singing some nonsense sound like, "wuh wuh wuh wuh wuh"

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

As far as I'm concerned, these are all part of Teargarden by Kaleidyscope

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also what are the odds on either SAOSB3 or the "sequel to both MCIS and Machina" not ever being released. I'm putting at least one of those ideas into the "Day for Night" and the "rest of Teargarden" bin.

50/50 or worse. This is such a weird thing that certain musicians do, announcing another album either right before or right after their latest album is released. It always makes me feel like they're anticipating some backlash.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

in the grand scheme of SP's ability to write bad music, Zeitgiest is really not that bad

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yes but Billy has a severe case of UFS (Uncle Fester Syndrome) and people give him poo poo all the time.

lol this loving cracked me up, that bald rear end bitch

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

I used to be a hard-headed synth hater, but I saw the error of my ways and now I think they're great. If you use them as a musical instrument, that is. That means phrasing, dynamics, and fitting into the overall sound. I'd argue that Adore is a great example of making timeless music that features synths. For some reason now, all of Billy's synth poo poo sounds exactly the same. Loud and corny. It doesn't help that Billy's voice is even louder. I think it was Jimmy who said, regarding Atum, that they wanted to see if they could make a "modern" album, but I would not use that word to describe this album.

Side note... I wish he'd get rid of the harmonized female backing vocals featured on pretty much every song. It rarely adds anything, and it sounds exactly the same every time they show up. If it were an occasional flourish, I think it would be more effective. This isn't a knock on the singer(s). The sound itself is good, it just seems compositionally lazy.

I do love the Pumpkins, though, so maybe I'll try to listen to all three discs again to see if I can make my own playlist I don't hate.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Seeing as how he's a millionaire, I would be far less concerned about my dad being a has-been and more concerned about slowly realizing that my dad is Billy Corgan

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

hatelull posted:

I feel ok about passing on it though. He can have my money if the Machina box set ever sees the light of day. I think I remember enjoying ZWAN but since that album isn't on Spotify and I long since unloaded all my CD's I can't remember much about it other than the last track being a rager?

looks like the whole thing is on youtube, although I donno what the audio quality is: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLy1F0NPv5gpEuzWvtt774-NFodJDnaTY

Baron von Eevl posted:

There's a big drum fill during the guitar solos in the title track that just keeps going into the next few bars, always gives me chills.

This is one of my favorite Chamberlain moments of all time

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Please give me the Machina double album remaster so I can rid myself of this curse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Billy posted:

I do hope that amidst what is a turbulent time in the world politic; culturally, spiritually, politically and the like you are taking time out to honor yourselves and those you love.

While I appreciate the sentiment, this is one of the worst written sentences I've ever seen. Imagine writing the words "and the like you are taking time" and not reconsidering your phrasing.

Edit: I'm also bummed that the lesson he learned from ATUM was that we don't like synths. I think Billy tells himself stories about why his various projects don't turn out to be huge hits. I wish he'd just make whatever music he wants and we could make fun of it appropriately.

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 15, 2024