Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Yeah, I think Schroeder is doing the bass duties.

More Content:

Admittedly, my interest was piqued when the shows were announced with Chamberlain and Iha back in the fold and the set list to be a "Celebration of the first five albums."

This lessened when I saw the set list and it's still pretty much play the hits with some "Drown" and "The End Is The Beginning Is the End(!?)" thrown in for good measure. Where's my "Silverfuck", or "Starla"? Hell, give me a "Jellybelly."

I will probably end up going anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Probably Magic posted:

Oceania wasn't all that great, but it had a couple songs psychadelic and fun enough like Quasar that felt like actual Smashing Pumpkins songs, like halfway worthy of being on the same tier of pre-breakup stuff, but if their new album sounds like this new single, it sounds like Billy is trying to do some traditional rock album that's going to be boring as gently caress like Zeitgeist Which I'm completely uninterested in.

The Oceania stuff was boring as hell live. There were a few tours they did around that album, and I know for one of them the set list opened with a ton of new material and was not engaging at all. Maybe I was biased by not being super familiar with the new record back then, but even now it's one I rarely return to give a spin. Zeitgeist was a tire fire for sure, but at least that one song they were going to apparently melt faces with on the joint Manson tour sounded like it was going to be cool until they blew out the PA at our venue.

Pretty sure the song was "United States"?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

precision posted:

Siamese Dream is very much a shoegaze record at least half the time. Gish and Mellon Collie (and everything else), not so much.

A lot of Pisces Iscariot plays in that space as well.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Pisces Iscariot would've made a wonderful second disc to Siamese Dream, with a minimal amount of technical cleanup/additional mixing.

It does make a solid counterpart, and has a pretty solid flow considering it was the defacto b-sides compilation for the Gish and SD material.

There's a few things in the Mellon Collie era that sort of flirt with the shoegazey wall of sound he made with Siamese Dream, but for the most part that album just sounds like a 90's love note to arena rock. I enjoy it, but Corgan definitely wasn't looking to retread any territory.

Some of the MCIS b-sides are stellar. I dig those covers he includes in the "Bullet" single, and everything on 1979 is gold. It doesn't come close to Pisces Iscariot, but what does?

"Pistachio Medley" is still a dumb idea though.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

DirtyCheeseburgers posted:

United States loving crushes live. I mean Jimmy is a goddamn animal on the drums, but this also checks a bunch of other good boxes for me (long, loud, big fuzzy guitars, guitar break in the middle that is mostly feedback).

I said this in some other version of this thread but I saw them on the tour for Zeitgeist and they played a loving 25 minute (not an exaggeration) cover of Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun and it was so, so, so bad and boring. Why not a 25 minute Silverfuck instead?

This is a tough band to stick with through the years.

I saw them on one of the MCIS shows (post-Melvoin so Chamberlain was out at the time) and they did a mega version of "The Aeroplane looks left ..". That was pretty epic. I'd kill for a barnburner epic "Silverfuck" that they sort of play at on Viewphoria. Looks like they're doing "Stairway to Heaven" on this tour? At least that has some dynamic to it.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I'd love to see that live clip.

I looked up Cash Car Star on youtube (ha, I'd love to hear a parody called Cash Cab Star) and I remember watching this years agi, thinking that they're basically speed running the song. I know live performances are usually a faster, but goddamn. This doesn't even seem organic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=engk-a3OJs0

Also, I will forever :swoon: over Melissa. :canada: represent!

Wow. Were those Machina II LPs a REAL thing at one point, or was he just holding up a prop for the intro?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I would have been happy if that extremely unforgettable solo LP had just been more tracks like "apples + oranjes." I love that drat song.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Would you cut a Machina track and replace it with "Vanity" or would you just slip it in somewhere? It's been a hot minute since I listened to that record. I remember digging the Machina II version of "Try, Try, Try" more when I heard it but that's probably because I loved the fact that Corgan named dropped my city. Still, I could probably do without "The Sacred and Profane" or "The Crying Tree of Mercury."

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I wonder what the set list will be like. I feel like the Shiny and Bright sets were his Sound + Vision and moving forward (or however long that dude keeps this thing going) it's going to be a set lists of jammy later material mixed in with a few old school nuggets for the fans.

This is making me regret missing that nostalgia tour big time.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I think I might've posted this before, but I think this might be my favourite Pumpkins track of all-time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTGcCr8L_t4

"Eleanor, you've lost me\In a haze of wine and cocaine"

Was always my favorite part about that song …

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

ketchup vs catsup posted:

In case you all were wondering, “Muzzle” is the third greatest song of all time.

Only beaten by "Mayonaise" and "Soma"?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

Was that the video hits collection dvd? God, I need to dig that thing out, I think the version of gently caress You on there's still the only official release from the Metro show.

Sadly, yes. That's the one slice of whatever the gently caress went on in the Metro that night. I was at the bigger arena show that happened a day or two before? Flew from Houston to see that thing because gently caress the Pumpkins were ending and they were my 90's dammit. If I knew then what I know now …
I probably still would have gone

I've heard stories that Iha and Billy were not super cool with each other at that Metro show. Billy was in tears when the set ended and aped for the crowd. James unplugged and got the gently caress out.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think Zwan did an a cappella song live, and there's always somewhere over the rainbow from silverfuck back in the Siamese dream era.

That's an amazing live cut of that track. I remember spending way too much money on a bootleg CD of Viewphoria way before it got officially released.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

What's the reference? I can only think of that Savage Garden song :negative:

"One more cherry cola to lift up her dead arms ..."

It's from "Glass and the Ghost Children"

Man, it's been forever since I have listened to that album.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I use to love trying to track down the SP single CDs because they always had "rare" songs on them, I was so psyched to find the Ava Adore single. Czarina and Once in a Awhile are still two of my favorites. Then once I had fast internet in college and found that huge database website with all of their songs listed my mind was blown. I ended up buying a Mashed Potatoes set off ebay, I'm pretty sure they were just burnt CDs but it was cool regardless.

The b-sides ("Pissant" and "Hello Kitty-Kat" specifically) to "Cherub Rock" and "Today" respectively became instant "i'm a die hard fan" deep cut favorites when I first heard them. gently caress, those are great tunes.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I remember in my junior high years coming home from school on a Friday before a long weekend, feeling super tired but not the least bit stressed about anything, putting on "Obscured" from one of the singles (Today?) and drifting in and out of sleep to it. It was the first time I'd heard it, and ended up being super weird to be half awake and hearing that drone at the end, and not being sure if it was real or not, but not caring either way. It was just an awesome little moment from a far, far simpler time. :unsmith:

And to directly quote Hummer, "when I woke up from that sleep, I was happier than I'd ever been." It's true, I was just on some sort of cloud for the rest of the night and weekend.

YAASSS! "Obscured" was the mellow cut that followed "Hello Kitty Kat." "Cherub Rock" had "French Music Theme"

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Framboise posted:

My guesses are:
New single
New video (iirc billy did an IG post mentioning one)
SAOSB 2+3 release date (it's supposed to be a double album right?)
Machina 1+2 remaster
New tour announcement (provided Covid is on the downswing in 3 months) (it won't be)

I'm into ONE of these possibilities.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I'm assuming Machina?

Indeed, and honestly more into Machina 2 but OG Machina does have some banger singles and solid deep cuts.

I had to look up what the SAOSB acronym was and then realized I never listened to that record. I feel like I should turn in my die hard fan card. :(

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

actionjackson posted:

I just got the siamese dream remaster on vinyl and while it was $50 it was definitely worth it. It sounds absolutely fantastic.

I have all three "holy trinity" remasters on Vinyl and yeah, they are absolutely worth whatever you have to spend. I have the ridiculous MCIS vinyl thing too, but it's cumbersome to deal with and I find myself not listening to it as much.

Was there an Adore vinyl remaster? I have a mono version of it that I really dig, but I'm a sucker for an extra track and a tacky badge.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

polyester concept posted:

there is going to be a mellon collie themed tour

Not gonna lie, the idea of hearing “Thru the Eyes of Ruby” again live and hell maybe even the mythical “Jellybelly” sounds pretty loving awesome. Sign me the gently caress up for some “Bodies” too. For all arguable bloat, I still love that silly album.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Framboise posted:

I would already play good money to see an MCIS tour, but I do want to hear Here Is No Why live.

That song kills. Why the hate?

Would you take a "Tales of a Scorched Earth"?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Yikes. More coffee for me. No idea why my brain dropped a big NOT into that sentence. I sincerely apologize for my gaffe.

Honestly, I'm not sure if there's anything off of MCIS I would not want to hear live ... maybe "Cupid de Locke" but he could probably work a stripped down acoustic of that and I'd be happy.

I wonder if MCIS Tour translates to doing the whole album every night, or if they just rotate the setlist heavy from that album and b-sides from the time. Getting a "Set the Ray to Jerry", or "Ugly", any of the covers, or "God" would be pretty groovy.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

crazy set list ...

Oh wow. I don't think I saw any of those shows. The only MCIS era stuff I was able to see were the post-Melvoin OD/Buh-Bye Jimmy arena shows with Garbage. Some one offs after that (a HORDE fest date?) but the set lists were typical fare. Those were way more predictable in terms of set list, although at a Dallas show we got a pretty scorching "Airplane Flys High ..." that was pretty drat spectacular.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

To hosed to swear that I was there ... \m/

That's probably my favorite track off that album. Honestly think I prefer it as the album ender over "Blue Skies Bring Tears" ....

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Popping in apropos of nothing to say that the live version of "Blank Page" on the exhaustive Adore re-issue/expansion is sublime. Is that Mike Garson on piano? It sounds like him, and I know he played on that tour.

I saw the Machina live tour, and remember being stoked about it because it was the first time I got to see Chamberlain play with them live. I missed the infamous SD era Houston show where Billy cut it short by being Billy I think he even referenced it at the Machina show before they played "Mayonaise", and by the time I could see them play Texas again Melvoin had checked out and Jimmy got the boot.

I wonder what they live recordings from this era sounds like ... I don't remember much about that show. :(

hatelull fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 29, 2020

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

What happened at the Houston show?

The story goes that 4-5 songs in, someone threw a shoe at the band (Darcy maybe?). It was the early 90's. Flying shoes were a thing (you can even see Farrell ranting about a Birkenstock that got tossed on the stage on one of their old VHS tapes). Anyway, Corgan says "if anyone tosses another shoe, we're out" ... so of COURSE Houston gonna Houston.

Here's an "I was there" blurb from one of our local rags ...

https://www.houstonpress.com/music/the-night-a-well-aimed-shoe-ended-smashing-pumpkins-houston-goodwill-6504558

e: The .MP3 link in that article which is footage of him talking about the incident at the show I was at is dead, but gently caress me that was 20 years ago and I now feel so very old.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 29, 2020

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Holy poo poo, THAT'S what the thing from Kettle Whistle was from?

"There's that same rear end in a top hat again. I hoped it wouldn't come to this. I mean the guy threw a birkenstock... This guy's a REAL moron... He doesn't even understand FASHION..."

I was slightly mistaken. The VHS thing was Soul Kiss which was '89 and released during the Nothing's Shocking time frame. I think it had the unedited video for "Mountain Song" and a lot of baked band members. That thing from Kettle Whistle appears at the end of the video for "Ain't No Right"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQRAvSSMs70

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

re: Lyrics ...

What was the last album or song that had lyrics that were truly shovel to the back of the head memorable? Anything after Machina II is so very forgettable to me. "United States" is the only banger from the later era that I can vividly remember and all I got is that he says revolution a few times. Oceania was the last album I picked up, and while I remember the sound being pretty OK I could not tell you a drat thing about any of the words or what he says on that record.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

My Twitter Account posted:

It's the twentieth anniversary of the Pumpkins' "final" show!

My buddy (also a stupid die hard Pumpkin fan boi) and I so wanted to go to that, but the tickets were really hard to get (especially since we were in Houston, and not Chicago). We ended up dropping silly cash for tickets to the bigger Arena show that happened maybe the night before? That was a really good show, despite the basketball arena aesthetic. They did an opening acoustic set before turning up the volume. My memory is blurry, but I'm pretty sure he brought Corgan Sr. out to play that deep cut b-side off of maybe the "33" single that he plays on. "The Last Song" maybe?

That show was broadcasted on the radio I think.

e: SERIOUSLY! WHERE THE gently caress IS THE METRO VIDEO?

The "gently caress You" live footage that's on the DVD is taken from that show right?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

CherryCola posted:

Does anyone remember the astonishingly awful goth tribute album that came out that year? Oh my god it's loving on Spotify. I even know and like some of these bands now and...god why are these covers SO BAD???

https://open.spotify.com/album/7x9DKrEVhIHgTj3tJCMA0D?si=miS4BZpoSdub_P-QLVM5Ew

Was that a Cleopatra release? If it was cover album made up of industrial/goth artists then I'm guessing it was Cleopatra. It's what they did. They were rarely if ever good.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

The new album's not particularly good but I appreciate that he's willing to just say "gently caress it, we're doing a New Order album."

Indeed. I absolutely agree with the sentiment and rarely if ever do I want an artist to simply cut and paste the ONE album or sound that locked them into a gold standard with me. The Pumpkins have always been pretty obvious about updating and progressing their sound. A simple stroll through the earlier LP's to the later material will tell you that. My main issue is that in 2020 he's making a super boring New Order album.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think Wyytch or however it's spelled bothers me for two reasons, 1 he keeps saying "sam hane" and that's like an elementary level mispronounciation* of Samhain and 2 it's the only guitar and drums driven hard rock song on the album. It sounds loving weird! It's weird that it's a 73 minute album, it's weird that it's 20 loving songs and they average out to be about 3 and a half minutes. I think I would have liked it better if there was more variety and texture. Maybe 9 New Order-y songs, 3 guitar hard rock songs and 3 acoustic songs. gently caress, use some of the same synths from the first batch on the other tracks to give it some consistency, I don't care. Maybe one of the electronic-y songs is more ambient and takes it's time. 20 songs is a lot and it's hard to keep the momentum going even if they're all somewhat short songs.

*Billy is a loving legend of insane mispronunciations. The man is incapable of fact checking literally anything before committing it to tape

Yeah Adore is kind of a sleeper masterpiece.

One of my favorite live iterations of the band was from that tour.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

So, maybe a double LP but likely a fuckton of digital? Actually, I guess a double LP and then a few EP's if wikipedia is accurate. The digital stuff will inevitably show up on streaming, but I'll drop cash for the indulgent vinyl package for sure.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 29, 2021

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

So this is a thing someone did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qDC2GiojlY

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Bump for Gish turning 30.

I heard this album in my college dorm in either late '91 or early '92 and from Chamberlain's intro to "I Am One" I was hooked. They became my defacto number one band of the 90's, and Siamese Dream just turned into my soundtrack for the decade.

Live "rhinoceros"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgdQoKG1OeI

"slunk"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5OVHgpZr-0

OK. Back to sleep thread.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 28, 2021

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Chamberlain and Schroeder do the Amoeba "What's in my Bag (Home Edition)" ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trOxYyaGMS0

Nothing too crazy. Chamberlain pulls a lot of jazz.

Full embarrassing disclosure: I have Another Green World. Have listened to it often. No loving clue Phil Collins drummed on that thing.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Ballz posted:

Jimmy needs to come join us in the vinyl records thread. The other guy can too I guess.

I should get back there myself. I let the number run up to the 2000's :(

I don't have the dedication to post all the purchases on a daily basis, and it's all just stoner doom and bleepity bloops anyway.

CONTEXT:

Did anyone pick up or even try to order those live LP's? I think a live set from the Viper Room is up for pre-order soon?

https://www.spin.com/2021/07/smashi...q34XllW9sLiYndY

1998 line up would be /[Adore]/ era yeah? Aranoff on drums and maybe Mike loving Garson on piano!!

Tempting as hell, if only for the monster "Transmission" jam that might be included.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Yeah. I saw that this morning. Dad Rock me fully embraces an arena show where I can sit down. I'm tempted even though LiveNation is guaranteed to gouge the gently caress out of the prices. Still, gobbling some gummies and basking in nostalgia is always a good time. The last time I saw Jane's Addiction was on that NIN|JA tour and after their set I said to my buddy "That's it. I don't ever need to see them again. That was a perfect end."

This won't be that good, but still. Into it.

Anyone know what sort of setlist Billy is doing these days? There were some XYU clips from recent shows, and that song is fun but man not bring back "Silverfuck?"

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

gently caress, can you imagine ending the show with Starla? The album version is like 10 minutes, so I have no sweet clue how long (and glorious) a live, end-of-show version would be.

Starla would be epic for sure. I've only seen them do it twice. but it was amazeballs both times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The one small venue show I got here was the infamous "shoe" debacle. The next time I got to see them was on MCIS and they were full on arena for that. I've seen them so many times since and not always in arenas, but never as small as the rooms they played in the early 90's before they went nuclear.

I'm amazed it's been how many years now and he never released that "farewell" Metro show. There's footage of it obviously. Anyone know the story behind that?