Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Astrochicken posted:

The Zwan album was good.

for a fun time see how many interviews you can track down where David Pajo says "uh yeah I have no idea why he asked me to be in that band"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Plus James Iha is incredibly talented and shouldn't have trouble finding things to do

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah the production and mixing on everything lately has been terrible

"Solara" would be an alright instrumental, Billy just sounds so bad in it.

It's a bit fart-rocky too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ratios and Tendency posted:

It was lifted from shoegaze.

yeah, the first time i heard "Rocket" was in a loud club with the bass boosted and I legit thought it was a Jesus and Mary Chain song (edit: well, I thought it was a JAMC ripoff, to be more accurate)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Siamese Dream is very much a shoegaze record at least half the time. Gish and Mellon Collie (and everything else), not so much.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah Pisces Iscariot has always been my second-favorite "album" of theirs. "Hello Kitty Kat" owns so hard.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
these guys are from England and who gives a poo poo. it's just a bunch of names that don't mean diddly poo poo!

is how i feel about this news

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just love that Billy is the kind of guy who thinks naming things "Superchrist" is a good idea :allears:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

oh my word. that's. that's real bad. i don't think Billy could make a song that bad if he tried.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

i seriously can't stop laughing at this

billy looks like late 80s genesis p-orridge and i'm not sure it isn't intentional

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think that's the intent, but to me it seems more like classic "I'm trying super hard to be weird" Billy (basically Mellon Collie/Adore era)

But it's charming, part of the band's appeal has always been his whole "I'm TRYING to be a ROCK STAR here, MOM!!!!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It is definitely growing on me too. It's a legit good tune.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Billy "the Silly" Corgan

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Billy Corgan has always been adorably embarrassing and doofy. I mean, that's the good side of him. Better that than him being the rear end in a top hat who won't let half his band play on the record.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know that I trust modern Billy to fix Machina 2

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
William Corgan is so goddamn silly I can't even hate him for it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Framboise posted:

WPC is 100% more likable when you just accept he's a loving weirdo.

If you posted a fake interview where he claims to have invented riffs and the concept of men wearing skirts I would 100% think it was real

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mellon Collie has some of the most inexplicably bad mixing I've ever heard

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah but in the case of MCIS it's following an album with almost perfect production and was produced by someone extremely talented so the fact that "Zero" sounds great and has bite but then "XYU" has that flat muddy guitar tone makes me think that something went wrong somewhere.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah that's what I meant. A lot of the songs sound... fat. Like "Here Is No Why" which is also just a terrible song in general

Edit: I just went looking for the video for Zero and it appears William had it scrubbed from YouTube? What the heck is the story there? That video owns

precision fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 13, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

EDIT: Also, you might not have been able to find Zero on youtube if you're on mobile. Bands do that sometimes.

I searched after posting that and found a few reddit threads asking where the video went too, with the only theory being that the family of the guy in it who died wanted it removed

We're talking about the video where they're all gothy and playing in like an 18th century orgy right

Also oh yeah for sure there are way worse Pumpkins songs than here is no why after MCIS. Honestly mentally I just sort of file everything after MCIS as "the worse part of their career". There are also worse songs on the album for sure.

Edit: okay weird I just looked for Zero again and it's there but not available in my country (America)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah exactly. Every single song on Gish and SD is in some way memorable, exciting, loving awesome, or heartbreaking. MCIS was stuffed with b-sides and they're not all on one disc so listening to it is an exercise in frustration.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Adore is a far better album than MCIS but nothing on it hits the high notes of absurd camp that MCIS has so I'd say it evens out

Oceania was dece, Zeitgeist was abysmal, Machina 2 is great

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Mostly it feels like any number of bands could have put out some of these songs, though. Like for example: Silversun Pickups, who can oftentimes straight up sound like a Smashing Pumpkins tribute band, have put out songs like these but more interesting. Listening to this, I found myself wishing I was listening to a new Silversun Pickups album instead.

"Lazy Eye" is my favorite Smashing Pumpkins song

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Low is the only band to have ever done a good Christmas album. And it's phenomenal. That Spacemen 3 tinged "Little Drummer Boy" is so good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Pumpkins opening for Noel Gallagher is like the ending of the setup joke that was "the pixies opening for weezer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Inconsistent/bad mixing has definitely been the only real issue with the last few albums.