Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Diabetes Forecast posted:

This single episode was more fun than literally anything in Try, Sorry.

That Sarah Gundam looked alot like Angelan from Virtual On. a shame that it won't get a kit and instead we get the loving doll garbage.

Gyoubu implies otherwise

https://twitter.com/ippeigyoubu/status/1044517224369639426

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Diabetes Forecast posted:

This single episode was more fun than literally anything in Try, Sorry.

That Sarah Gundam looked alot like Angelan from Virtual On. a shame that it won't get a kit and instead we get the loving doll garbage.

I wish I had your power to enjoy objectively bad things. Or at least give myself the delusion of enjoying garbage.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Sazabi posted:

I wish I had your power to enjoy objectively bad things. Or at least give myself the delusion of enjoying garbage.

The only time Try was even sorta fun to watch was when Tryon 3 was introduced, and then when it's big climactic fight happened they managed to make it exceptionally dull by having Obari Sword Pose be beaten by a tiny gun.

E: okay I guess we can talk about Gyanko here too but that had little to do with her fights being fun to watch.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 25, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Try had a few fun episodes. The surfing Turn A race was entertaining. Tryon 3 was good. The ending episode where they all threw their gunpla in for a big FFA for silly reasons was fun. The Meijin episode was fun.

It's just that the overall plot and characterization were badly done, just like Divers(which had some fun episodes of its own).

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/ippeigyoubu/status/1044554259885252609

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Divers had some fun episodes, and if they'd actually leaned into their premise of 5-on-5 team battles instead of doing, like one, and then trying to get people to focus on the Important World Ending Story, it would have been way better, even if Riku was boring as hell.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Buy yeah, someone on staff obv likes the Grimoire, because that's twice now that Rommel's got the most well-animated attack during a big climactic fight.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

There, now you don't have to watch the final episode

same

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sarah probably shouldn't be able to go back into GBN again, ever, because that just starts the problem all over again. due to her still being an Electronic Lifeform sitting on the same processes she was before. Not to mention they patched the poo poo out of the game code to fix all the floating point variables she ran on anyway.

Maybe she's controlling an avatar rather than running directly on the GBN infrastructure like she was before she was extracted? I'm willing to grant that GBN scanning a sentient self-propelled model running a bunch of Break Decals and GBD tech could be interpreted as the Sarah Gundam and of course Sarah's avatar looks like it always has.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anime VR Rules generally work by scanning the brain and copying the mind to the server to run around virtually while the body sits vacant. You even see a bunch of people panicking that they can't log out in the last episode too.

So in Sarah's case, she's still the same program dumped onto the old hardware unchanged.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anime VR Rules generally work by scanning the brain and copying the mind to the server to run around virtually while the body sits vacant. You even see a bunch of people panicking that they can't log out in the last episode too.

So in Sarah's case, she's still the same program dumped onto the old hardware unchanged.

I don't think it works that way here; didn't we see joysticks at someone's home setup? On the other hand, nobody is ever seen AFK nor do we see anyone in the real world while they're logged in. The panic during the attack could simply be from some consequences of a messy forced disconnect or SAO story remnants from when they recycled this script.

I'm not sure we can tell how it works here.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midjack posted:

I don't think it works that way here; didn't we see joysticks at someone's home setup? On the other hand, nobody is ever seen AFK nor do we see anyone in the real world while they're logged in. The panic during the attack could simply be from some consequences of a messy forced disconnect or SAO story remnants from when they recycled this script.

I'm not sure we can tell how it works here.

Did you not pay attention to the whole "THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO CAN ONLY HAVE NORMAL LIVES AND WALK WHILE IN THIS GAME!! :qq:" bit? Also there are a LOT of mentions of being able to feel things throughout the show and an entire episode about learning to ignore said sensations because you can't actually get hurt.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did you not pay attention to the whole "THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO CAN ONLY HAVE NORMAL LIVES AND WALK WHILE IN THIS GAME!! :qq:" bit? Also there are a LOT of mentions of being able to feel things throughout the show and an entire episode about learning to ignore said sensations because you can't actually get hurt.

Neither of which really tell us how it works. I have heard similar hyperbolic statements about present-day VR stuff from physically disabled people, and I'm willing to believe that a game whose players' love for it creates an AI could also cause those same players to feel things that aren't there. If the show were written better I would find it easier to come to your conclusions.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midjack posted:

Neither of which really tell us how it works. I have heard similar hyperbolic statements about present-day VR stuff from physically disabled people, and I'm willing to believe that a game whose players' love for it creates an AI could also cause those same players to feel things that aren't there. If the show were written better I would find it easier to come to your conclusions.

Using a pair of joysticks on a fixed base, with two buttons apiece, and a whole lot of touchscreen-pressing and expressive full-body gesturing? Also the normal response to "I cant log out!!" would be to just remove the headset in that case.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Using a pair of joysticks on a fixed base, with two buttons apiece, and a whole lot of touchscreen-pressing and expressive full-body gesturing? Also the normal response to "I cant log out!!" would be to just remove the headset in that case.

Cockpits in Gundam have never reflected the nuanced movement of the things they control. And the logout panic could be as simple as you don't save progress from your current session and they'd lose that ultra rare drop from a disconnect.

Your explanation is likely and ultimately we're splitting hairs over a system that does whatever the plot demands regardless of internal consistency or logic. :cheerdoge:

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh my God. That's amazingly wrong. Maybe you got some horrible subs or something. Try YouTube.

Rommel was literally just saying that some people are shy introverts irl and the game let's them pretend to be Gundam pilots and come out of there shell. You know socialize with other nerds. And tigerwolf was just showing them how to break the games physics. Not teaching the crippled kid to walk like Log Horizon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midjack posted:

Cockpits in Gundam have never reflected the nuanced movement of the things they control. And the logout panic could be as simple as you don't save progress from your current session and they'd lose that ultra rare drop from a disconnect.

Your explanation is likely and ultimately we're splitting hairs over a system that does whatever the plot demands regardless of internal consistency or logic. :cheerdoge:

While you're right about the show, that's not QUITE true from a design standpoint with Gundam cockpits (just for argument's sake). Most of what they do could actually be achieved with inverse kinematics and joystick targeting, because the motion range generally doesn't get much fancier for most mobile suits than "raise shield, point gun". Hell, you can achieve quite a bit in any Gundam game with just a dualshock controller.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sazabi posted:

Oh my God. That's amazingly wrong. Maybe you got some horrible subs or something. Try YouTube.

Rommel was literally just saying that some people are shy introverts irl and the game let's them pretend to be Gundam pilots and come out of there shell. You know socialize with other nerds. And tigerwolf was just showing them how to break the games physics. Not teaching the crippled kid to walk like Log Horizon.

I dunno. And by that I don't mean I don't believe in your explanation or in Neddy Seagoon's, but that I genuinely don't know because Rommel's reasoning comes out of nowhere, with no explanation, based entirely on a minor character we barely knew by face (did we even know his name?), whose backstory we have no idea about but it's still the main driving factor for Rommel to want Sarah dead.

We know so little about the world itself that it could easily be any and everything. It's insane just how little Build Divers cares about itself.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I dunno. And by that I don't mean I don't believe in your explanation or in Neddy Seagoon's, but that I genuinely don't know because Rommel's reasoning comes out of nowhere, with no explanation, based entirely on a minor character we barely knew by face (did we even know his name?), whose backstory we have no idea about but it's still the main driving factor for Rommel to want Sarah dead.

We know so little about the world itself that it could easily be any and everything. It's insane just how little Build Divers cares about itself.

Yeah that's actually fair. There internal logic is changes between ep. But I think we know enough about the world of GBN to know we never wanna go back ZING!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Turns out it's both.

https://twitter.com/figsoku/status/1044799332468367362?s=19

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The eyes on the human face on that thing are creepy :stare:. Like if you glance away for a moment it'll have moved.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
It may be because it goes with a vacant smile. It's uncanny valley. But what gets me with these always is the separation of joints and seam-lines on otherwise skin-tone and supposed to be fleshlike parts. Now Sarah avoids this problem by delegating the joints to the robot-parts, but you can still see where the face just gets slotted in there, and the big gap in the shoulders. Also the way the hair goes from mechanical pods to separate strands at the front.

On the other hand, I actually like the design of big Sarah. The way the dress splits like a beetle's carapace to let out the beam-wings is nice and so are the little winglets/antenna on the back. And the big goggle-eyes on the otherwise faceless robot-head...I dunno, I just find that style adorable for some reason.

Now for the final episode. First of all I want to say something about the final boss. Namely that its head looked familiar to me but I can't put my finger on it. It definitely makes me think of a Guyver though. It's also been on the advertisement of the 'big fight' they'd been promoting for the last few episodes, so at least it wasn't quite as random as the sudden final boss dragon-combination from AGE.

For some reason, the GM hovering in air with a not-spinning propeller made me laugh.

There was a lot of apologizing from everyone to everyone (well mostly to Riku, but that's par for the course by this point). Also loads of background gunplas. There was Tryon 3, that spiderball, black G-Self and not Zeta gundam. They're from a side-story manga, right? Then there was something filling the screen for a second or two. It had the body of a Nobel, the legs of a Leo (I think), the shield of a Qant, the lance of the Kimaris Vidar and a head I don't recognize at all. Was that also from the side-story? Then again, there was a competition involving the new Gundam Breaker game I believe where the winner would get his/her gunpla in the show. I didn't pay much attention to that for a variety of reasons, but maybe that was where it's from.

For the one time the Jegan fired all the beams, I'd expected a ludicrously large rainbow-beam or something...instead I couldn't even tell what was from the Jegan and what was fired by everyone else in that sequence. Mind you, it's not as random as the Age 2 becoming a beam-sword for reasons. I was going to ask how that works, but I'm pretty certain by this point that there is a background AI running on GBN who is solely concerned with making things 'cool'.

Can the Momokapool fly or not? Sometimes she's riding Ayame's bird, other times she gets dragged along and then in the next shot she's flying solo.

My thoughts on the real life sequence were pretty disjointed and random. In no particular order:
1: Man, everyone is jacked.
2: Wow, even the guy who is literally an anthropomorphic wolf in-game looks like his avatar in real life.
3: That limo is going to have major problems with corners.
4: This is a cozy place. Kinda small though. Can Magee really afford his lifestyle with it? or is this just one room in a bigger establishment?
5: Wait, those two guys miniaturized not-plavsky technology from a huge table to a 1/144 scale figure? Imagine what Tsukasa could accomplish if he got a good night's sleep and stopped moping!

All in all, I enjoyed the final episode. Perhaps not in the way the producers had intended me to, but fun is fun.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I honestly didn't mind the limo, because I'm always down for a good streeeeeeeeetch limo gag.

Long, long, caaaaaaAAAAAARRR!!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

maninthesuit posted:

4: This is a cozy place. Kinda small though. Can Magee really afford his lifestyle with it? or is this just one room in a bigger establishment?

:japan: talk but that's pretty much the standard size for a one-man bar. I've been to smaller places even. Rather than customer/drink volume, they sell on the bartender/customer relationship and build up a regular customer base, so it definitely makes sense for his character to be a bar owner.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Why was Sara naked while transferring? Aren't her clothes part of her avatar? Was she naked when she was born? Did a naked child wander the game until she found some clothes that conveniently fit her color scheme to put on? :thunk:

The first half of this show wasn't good but at least it felt like they put some thought into making GBN feel like a game (and the community felt like a gaming circle), the last half of the show doesn't even have that going for it.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I wish this show had focused on the actual act of loving around with gunpla while clearly being young adult salary-men, with the kids and their stuff as side story. Watching this final episode was hard because it was embarrassing, which is worse than anything that Try ever made me feel like.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-10-04/gundam-build-divers-anime-gets-english-dub/.137717

I hope they get the same middle aged Aussie woman doing her best as Sekai in Try to also voice Riku. Or get the dub cast of berserk to just adlib the whole thing.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's sucks that BF didn't get a decent dub, but the most boring goddamn show will.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Is anyone else thinking of "Ghost Stories"?

Because for some reason, I'm thinking of Ghost Stories.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monaghan posted:

It's sucks that BF didn't get a decent dub, but the most boring goddamn show will.

I cant read the article because the site's down, but it's probably because Divers is the most recent Build series and Bandai just bought Bluefin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Is anyone else thinking of "Ghost Stories"?

Because for some reason, I'm thinking of Ghost Stories.

it would be at the very least funny to watch

• Locked thread