Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Xarbala posted:

Yeah but imagine the cost.

Like the singularity, it's an extremely bougie nerd fantasy scenario

tfw you've been on the hunt for anime that keeps it real but gotta settle for an extravagant merch commercial instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

Kanos posted:

Ogre is specifically introduced by Magee as "An up-and-coming fighter. He's determined to defeat the champion, and his skill and rank are improving." He's not a high ranked super pro, he's a tryhard who is working his way up the ladder. As for the fight itself, I just rewatched it to confirm, and Ogre is kicking the poo poo out of him even after Riku uses Trans-Am until Riku sacrifices his primary weapon in order to buy a moment to slip away, at which point Riku starts a frontal charge directly into Ogre's prepared face before his gunpla overloads(he crashes directly in front of Ogre). Riku has some good moves but there's absolutely no point at which he could be construed to be winning the fight.

Reiji, a complete goddamn newbie who has no loving clue what Gunpla even is at that point, was able to singlehandedly whoop the poo poo out of a bunch of gunpla otaku in the bar scene while deliberately handicapping himself in the most ludicrous way possible and then he was able to go pound for pound with Ricardo Fellini, who is a world class gunpla champion who placed in the finals of the world tournament, enough so that Ricardo found fighting him to be engaging and entertaining. That's way more of a bullshit asspull of skill than anything Riku has done so far.

QFT

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Kanos posted:

Ogre is specifically introduced by Magee as "An up-and-coming fighter. He's determined to defeat the champion, and his skill and rank are improving." He's not a high ranked super pro, he's a tryhard who is working his way up the ladder. As for the fight itself, I just rewatched it to confirm, and Ogre is kicking the poo poo out of him even after Riku uses Trans-Am until Riku sacrifices his primary weapon in order to buy a moment to slip away, at which point Riku starts a frontal charge directly into Ogre's prepared face before his gunpla overloads(he crashes directly in front of Ogre). Riku has some good moves but there's absolutely no point at which he could be construed to be winning the fight.

You're right, Riku is getting pushed back the entire fight. But not in the extreme way a person with 3 hours of play time vs. someone who could compete I. A tournament would. Nor does that change the fact that he was about to pull a win out of his rear end after he stared to take the fight seriously. Ogre even does the "NANI?" Look of surprise anime thing. That's the line a JoJo enemy say before getting their teeth smashed in. Maybe ogre would have blocked in time but due to bad fight choreograhpy and generic writing we can't be 100% certain.

Regarding that Reji moment. It came after he lost to Meiji. And people telling him he is poo poo. But nicer. We all know those zeon guys were past their prime (12) and posed little threat. The 200 matches with Ricardo was more training than actual fighting. Plus we didn't see them so Reji could have lost the 150 rounds before learning to dodge long enough to survive till the first bell. My beef was s1 was more about all the condoned cheating than space prince traveling across the stars to style on some nerds using their nerd game.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Reji utterly demolished both sazaki and the gorrila guy with almost no issues and only lost to the meijin, who is at minimum, the top three best fighters in the world. He was able to fight him to almost a draw a mere 4 episodes later after an afternoon of non-stop matches. When he's fighting sazaki he's just dancing around him and dodging him like it's nothing. Everyone around him is flabergasted that he's so good that quickly.

Reji's skills are absolutely absurd in the show.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
Eh, if it makes people feel better, just imagine that GBN isn't the only vr-fighting game in the world. If something is popular, then it is only a matter of time before the market gets flooded with similar games and downright copycats. GBN will be the only one shown or mentioned certainly, but there is no reason that Riku can't have gotten experience with similar games in the past. Both Riku and Yukki seemed comfortable enough to skip to the 'fighting for real with live ammo'-stage of the tutorial instead of starting at 'how to move your gunpla' after all.

And I'd totally forgotten about the insanity of the 200-rounds marathon Reiji did.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Riku didn't get clowned on because this is a kids show, for kids, just like Build Fighters.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

chumbler posted:

Riku didn't get clowned on because this is a kids show, for kids, just like Build Fighters.

True. Skill and power mean nothing when plot is on the line.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

chumbler posted:

Yeah you gotta sell models and you don't sell models by having the main gundam get bodied for the first 5 episodes.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Episode 3 was pretty good, I think I enjoyed it the most so far actually.

I thought it was pretty much perfect that guests are logged in as Haros. Also kind of explains the cat ears on Momokas regular diver now as I guess she already had them so sure why not.

Pretty good action too, I was a little worried how they glossed over the first 3 rounds but the Jegan fight with the Mass Divers(?) made up for it and it looks like they are at least paying lip service to technical fighting even though Kyoya did break out the Win Button at the end. That said I must say I enjoyed the Age II Magnum reveal far more than I should have.

Also if they're running with the online game tropes I guess it makes perfect sense that the antagonists are a band of hackers/exploiters.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
This show is worthless, worthless I say, if we never get to see what kind of mission a BearGuy Fest is :colbert:.

RillAkBea posted:

Episode 3 was pretty good, I think I enjoyed it the most so far actually.

I thought it was pretty much perfect that guests are logged in as Haros. Also kind of explains the cat ears on Momokas regular diver now as I guess she already had them so sure why not.

Pretty good action too, I was a little worried how they glossed over the first 3 rounds but the Jegan fight with the Mass Divers(?) made up for it and it looks like they are at least paying lip service to technical fighting even though Kyoya did break out the Win Button at the end. That said I must say I enjoyed the Age II Magnum reveal far more than I should have.

Also if they're running with the online game tropes I guess it makes perfect sense that the antagonists are a band of hackers/exploiters.

I think we're in for a good show if the Char/Rival character is capable of getting distracted by fuzzy widdle paws :3:.

edit: What were the grunt mobile suits from the first few waves?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This show is worthless, worthless I say, if we never get to see what kind of mission a BearGuy Fest is :colbert:.

I think we're in for a good show if the Char/Rival character is capable of getting distracted by fuzzy widdle paws :3:.

edit: What were the grunt mobile suits from the first few waves?

All enemies in this campaign were from G Gundam.
Those ones were the Death/Dark Army.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
At first I was amazed at how the champion's disguise was even thinner than I already thought it was. Then I remembered that this is an mmo with celebrities. There are probably dozens of look-alikes running around, half of which will be trying to pick up people by pretending to be the real deal.

The bigger question for me though is what the ninja was doing here. She just seemed to swoop down on Riku for no reason then disappear. I didn't notice the Mass-diver aura on her bird so she wasn't one of the hackers. Was she a merc who got hired by the hackers as plan B for when 'dunk on the newbies with our max-statted gunpla-hack' fails?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’ve never really followed an anime week to week before, and I’m having a lot of fun with this! I like the not-Char guy and I actually kinda like some of the characters.

Man I hope that Grimoire kit has knife legs.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I like how Patrick was the one used to explain how the battle system worked.

Because, after all, he's the undisputed champ of simulated fights.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

RillAkBea posted:

Pretty good action too, I was a little worried how they glossed over the first 3 rounds but the Jegan fight with the Mass Divers(?) made up for it and it looks like they are at least paying lip service to technical fighting even though Kyoya did break out the Win Button at the end.

A win button that almost failed, because he has to stand still and charge it. If Yuki and Riku hadn't held off the Devil Gundam's arms, it would have dragged him out of the sky and interrupted everything.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017

Taintrunner posted:

I’ve never really followed an anime week to week before, and I’m having a lot of fun with this! I like the not-Char guy and I actually kinda like some of the characters.

Man I hope that Grimoire kit has knife legs.

Going by the preview-pictures, YES it does. It also comes with two soldiers that look like Grimoire heads on legs and the backpack can open to stow them inside.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

maninthesuit posted:

Going by the preview-pictures, YES it does. It also comes with two soldiers that look like Grimoire heads on legs and the backpack can open to stow them inside.

Behold.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

after Try, it's really disappointing that this series has even worse characters and is spending more time on boring mmo mechanics than them

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

dogsicle posted:

after Try, it's really disappointing that this series has even worse characters and is spending more time on boring mmo mechanics than them

It's been three episodes, what kind of fully amazing, fleshed out characters did BF have in three episodes. We just got introduced to Sei and Reiji and all we knew about them both was the Reiji was a smug kid who was good at fighting and sei was a good model builder who sucked at gunpla. We got 5 minutes of yuuki and 2 minutes of Fellini.

None of these guys were as grating as Yuuma and Sekai were.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the general response to Build Fighters at first was that it was nice to have a competently made if forgettable and bland show after Age. Nobody thought Build Fighters was anything special until episode 6.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Monaghan posted:

It's been three episodes, what kind of fully amazing, fleshed out characters did BF have in three episodes. We just got introduced to Sei and Reiji and all we knew about them both was the Reiji was a smug kid who was good at fighting and sei was a good model builder who sucked at gunpla. We got 5 minutes of yuuki and 2 minutes of Fellini.

i can go back and check who all showed up in each series later but the point is more that the main cast of this show has zero charisma or even just single character traits to make them stand out. even though the cast of Try quickly stagnated and seemed to annoy everyone, they had personalities and cat dynamics like immediately.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I think the mmo setting is a misstep, it's just doing nothing for me

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess I’ll watch OG Build Fighters then...

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

rip gendum

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lessail posted:

The fact that the actual Gunpla got damaged in the first Build Fighters gave the fights a lot more emotional weight. I'm not sure why both of the followup shows have ditched that aspect.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Monaghan posted:

Those 2 minutes of Fellini were more interesting than anything in these first 3 episodes.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Guy Goodbody posted:

The fact that the actual Gunpla got damaged in the first Build Fighters gave the fights a lot more emotional weight. I'm not sure why both of the followup shows have ditched that aspect.

I expect it to eventually get to something like that when we start finding out about aura's deal and the game gets real

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah I'm hoping with the introduction and most of the mechanics out of the way, they can get into the meat of the story and maybe some better character development.

The fact that it's not models getting damaged doesn't really bother me, since they were almost always repaired in an episode or two in any event.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lessail posted:

I actually like it a lot because it lets them be really free with the character designs(though I honestly would have preferred a straight up fantasy world with random oni people and animal people piloting robots) and goofy set pieces(the next episode appears to have them doing mountaintop training with a wolfman), but I do agree that I think they're spending a little bit too much time explaining game mechanics for a fictional game that no one really cares about. I guess it's necessary to explain how things work to explain how the hackers are loving it up. Hopefully they're done with really basic "this is <x mission type> which entails doing <y>" explanations now.

As for the characters, I think Riku and Yuuki are very bland right now and need more development and personality beyond "want to be good at gunpla, i guess?", but I've really liked the other characters they've introduced. Nanami and Magee are both really fun "mentor" figures, Momoka emotes a lot so she's entertaining, and Ogre is a fun first major rival.

Monaghan posted:

Yeah I'm hoping with the introduction and most of the mechanics out of the way, they can get into the meat of the story and maybe some better character development.

The fact that it's not models getting damaged doesn't really bother me, since they were almost always repaired in an episode or two in any event.

Yeah there was never a point in GBF where the models getting totaled was a serious ongoing problem outside of the bounds of each individual fight. They played the "but your gunpla might get destroyed!" card extremely hard in the fantastic Build Strike vs Fenice battle and the two of them ripped each other apart but the issue was solved by the end of the episode.

It's not really meaningfully different from how Riku's gunpla was apparently in the MMO repair shop for a while after Ogre beat his rear end.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 17, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kanos posted:

As for the characters, I think Riku and Yuuki are very bland right now and need more development and personality beyond "want to be good at gunpla, i guess?", but I've really liked the other characters they've introduced. Nanami and Magee are both really fun "mentor" figures, Momoka emotes a lot so she's entertaining, and Ogre is a fun first major rival.

i can definitely agree with this. Nanami and Magee are great and i think both ogres and the ferret guy already have plenty of potential.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You're also forgetting that the champion's reaction to winning the tournament wasn't to be smug or :emo:, but instead to go "Dude, that fight was AMAZING. We gotta do that again sometime!" :allears:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

and then he stared lovingly into the ferret's eyes

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gay furry fans rule GBN so what

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

next week riku and yuki get their first character traits at furry conversion camp

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Kanos posted:

I actually like it a lot because it lets them be really free with the character designs(though I honestly would have preferred a straight up fantasy world with random oni people and animal people piloting robots) and goofy set pieces(the next episode appears to have them doing mountaintop training with a wolfman), but I do agree that I think they're spending a little bit too much time explaining game mechanics for a fictional game that no one really cares about. I guess it's necessary to explain how things work to explain how the hackers are loving it up. Hopefully they're done with really basic "this is <x mission type> which entails doing <y>" explanations now.

Yeah, it looks like they've gotten the basic setting down and can start having fun, that's a flaw of putting it into an MMO like that i guess. And I agree on the characters, but I'm looking forward to more again.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Upon learning they are furries, Riku and Yuki change their mechs to be Fuunsaiki Build Dive and GM Fuunsaiki Custom.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm mildly disappointed that the Changeling Rifle doesn't fire miniature versions of Odo.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The way they talk about game modes and features is weird to me because it feels like they're trying to advertise for the game, but the game isn't real.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/feezy_feez/status/986415912591872000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
You know, a thought occurs that Magee was actually kind of prescient when asking the kids if they hated GBN after their first outing. Except for Sarah, Magee, and now Kyoya, every single person they've met in GBN has either tried to scam them, beat them up, or scam them and then beat them up.

• Locked thread