Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I just realized something kinda damning about this show as a Build series;

Anyone notice how few new Gunpla designs and kits we've gotten past the midway point? Usually by now everyone has their hot new machine rolling out And immediately advertised for release as a HG kit within the next two-three months. Even the Champ's ride, when poo poo's going down and things are Super Serious.... is the same Age-II Magnum, only white.

The kits that are upcoming are all things that showed up as recently as the first-cour finale. I think the only new HG designs from the second cour have been the 00 Sky, the Blast Jegan, and maybe the Guard Frame? Not counting the HGBC scooter, anyway.

I know that it's been awful at the whole "selling Gunpla" for me personally. Like, there's a Kapool. I love the Kapool. And it has a goofy theme and a little mini Kapool it shoots out. A show would have to be pretty bad for me to not get it as soon as possible.

I still don't have the Kapool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

chiasaur11 posted:

I know that it's been awful at the whole "selling Gunpla" for me personally. Like, there's a Kapool. I love the Kapool. And it has a goofy theme and a little mini Kapool it shoots out. A show would have to be pretty bad for me to not get it as soon as possible.

I still don't have the Kapool.

This, but the Grimoire.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Grimoire, the Kapool, the Galbaldy, designs I really like. But I see them in the store and all emotion just drains out of me. It's like everything related to Build Divers has magical enthusiasm draining powers

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The Galbady Rebake is wasted on this show, since it's both an awesome design and an awesome concept; take a UC kit and style it into IBO.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I do appreciate at least that this show's gunpla are derivative of actual gundam machines and not so much completely original like in Try.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I do appreciate at least that this show's gunpla are derivative of actual gundam machines and not so much completely original like in Try.

Nearly every suit in Try being OC Doughnut Steel was definitely one of the worse things about it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

the Impulse Gundams Arc and Lancier, and of course

I swear they showed up in the first cour finale :psyduck:.

But seriously, how are there new kits for the ancilliary sidekicks, yet not half the main characters?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

There is that magee Deathscyte/Justice mix.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I swear they showed up in the first cour finale :psyduck:.

poo poo you're right.

Zedd posted:

There is that magee Deathscyte/Justice mix.

Also first appeared in the Coalition battle, which was in the first cour

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Spelling Mitsake posted:

The only Improvement divers has had is in there kit bashing designs. Better than try better than some of BF. And they squander these designs every episode. Gabaldy Rebake and Momokapool have seen action 3 or 4 times in 21 episodes. And half the time they barely move or have minimal impact on the fight.

It's sad to see such potential wasted.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

so i take it this show has not improved in any significant sense since the first cour? i dropped out just before the ep where the ninja girl gets a sad flashback

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

so i take it this show has not improved in any significant sense since the first cour? i dropped out just before the ep where the ninja girl gets a sad flashback

There have been a couple fun stand alone episodes but everything related to the main plot has been pretty uniformly bad.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Droyer posted:

There have been a couple fun stand alone episodes but everything related to the main plot has been pretty uniformly bad.

The preview to the bear episode was better than the actual episode.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Sazabi posted:

The preview to the bear episode was better than the actual episode.

The preview to the show was better than the show.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

BizarroAzrael posted:

The preview to the show was better than the show.

Imagine if we got a whole series of team battles choreographed at least as well as the prologue.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Far too much work to actually make a decent team based gundam series so lets just full rear end it- An executive at sunrise/bandai probably

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Well that was marginally better than last week in terms of actually bothering to animate the animation.

It still falls completely flat though. Kyoya keeps forgetting his motivation between scenes. Ogre joined Riku for ~reasons~ and foxboy apparently got hit in the head so hard he forgot who or what he was fighting for.

Also uh oh, we still have an episode left, uhhhh SURPRISE FINAL BOSS! I kinda hoped it was Tsukasa back with a vengeance, but the preview has Astray No-name which I guess is the next best thing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This was a pretty episode and the fight between Kyoya, Riku and Ogre was nearly cool. It could've been actually cool had it not ended with everything other than willpower being completely useless in the face of I WILL SAVE SARAH/LOVE GUNPLA and a light clash that was far less exciting than it should've been.

Rommel's reasons for doing poo poo would be heartbreaking in a series that actually gave a poo poo about them. Too bad this is GBD. Apparently people have lovely lives and use GBN to be happy? Sure wish we knew someone in that situation so we could emphatize! But no, apparently this hyper-minor character went through that? Maybe? Why the everloving hell should I care?

Also lol at Kyoya apparently being completely unable to actually finish anyone. So strong but couldn't be arsed to give one last blow? And the whole "I hit you with the backside" thing from that guy...did they completely forget this is a game? At least with Rommel we know he definitely did. Talking about that, the whole "we ARE playing! Seriously!" thing from Magee and the other two worked really well when Meijin said it in Try because he fully lived up to that credo, it loving does not work here when the series has taken itself with utmost seriousness despite having even less reason to do so than the previous two, and it works even less when, for once, there's an actual life at stake!

Still, Kyoya as the final boss would've worked...but no, we get a final final boss out of nowhere because sure, why not. It's not like I can care less.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

So I watched the episode having skipped the last 5 or so, just reading spoilers.
Are they seriously going to just "log out" Sarah and that way make her materialize in the real world or something. :v:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Zedd posted:

So I watched the episode having skipped the last 5 or so, just reading spoilers.
Are they seriously going to just "log out" Sarah and that way make her materialize in the real world or something. :v:

Oh yah, and it's not nuanced thing with a big plan behind it, it's literally just.

1. Transfer Sarah to old system.
2. Download to figurerise Sarah (TM)*
3. ?????????
4. Profit

*only kidding she's Labo 02 probably :suicide:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 18, 2018

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm getting really sick of fights just being bendy beams of light slamming against each other in order to fool the viewer into thinking something cool is happening. It's fine in small doses but they've been overusing it a lot lately.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rommel's line about GBN letting people live in a way that they can't in real life really annoyed me. Because that would've been a fantastic and very easy theme for the show to have. But instead, the show actively ran away from that theme at every turn, there isn't even a single character who doesn't look like their in-game avatar.

It's the best actual argument for fighting to keep the game, but making it now just shines a light on how little this show had going on and how it completely wasted the game setting.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I will say, props to the show for finally giving Sara an emotion and an opinion. One of each is better than nothing.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Rommel's line about GBN letting people live in a way that they can't in real life really annoyed me. Because that would've been a fantastic and very easy theme for the show to have. But instead, the show actively ran away from that theme at every turn, there isn't even a single character who doesn't look like their in-game avatar.

It's the best actual argument for fighting to keep the game, but making it now just shines a light on how little this show had going on and how it completely wasted the game setting.

Are you saying that a ferret learned how to log in? Or that a cat and a wolf hosed?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Monaghan posted:

I'm getting really sick of fights just being bendy beams of light slamming against each other in order to fool the viewer into thinking something cool is happening. It's fine in small doses but they've been overusing it a lot lately.

I always think of that as a ‘mating snakes’ fight. I remember Sengoku Basara being particularly heavy on them.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sazabi posted:

Are you saying that a ferret learned how to log in? Or that a cat and a wolf hosed?

We haven't seen their real life versions, they never expressed any difference between their in-game and IRL personalities.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't think of a single piece of media about MMOs that didn't have a person playing a character of the opposite gender, or a physically small person playing a big character or vice versa, or a disabled person playing an able-bodied character. They don't always like, dive deep into body dysmorphia or anything, but it's there and it tells you something about the character.

The fact that Build Divers completely avoids that is noteworthy. To eschew a genre staple when it's such an easy way to develop a character or even just throw in a cheap twist, it's a bizarre choice.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
I think SAO also had zero characters play anything other than themselves.

So next episode is a disappointing fight with 7 mins of special attacks on a monster they just made up. And 15 mins of everyone being happy irl. You know the usual BD trash.

Also I call b.s. everyone knows it was Riku who taught everyone to love again. Riku saved the elf and ayame from sadness, Riku helped yuuki with something or other. Riku showed everyone how to live. Sarah just lived in his shadow.with her round dog.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

Sazabi posted:

they looked different for like five minutes until they had to use an item that made them look like how they looked in real life

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

The only interesting thing in the preview was real-life Magee.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sazabi posted:

The first episode had a background character IIRC that was a dude playing as a girl.

Later on there was also the coma patients.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Oh look the finale is going to be the end of G Gundam except without any of the emotional pathos or payoff, sure am looking forward to it.

This show has burned whatever good will I still had left for the Build series and proved to me that Build Fighters was a fluke rather than the standard.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Oh boy let's have the final boss be something that we never heard of before that episode and have no emotional connection to the characters. It worked so well for gundam age!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Monaghan posted:

Oh boy let's have the final boss be something that we never heard of before that episode and have no emotional connection to the characters. It worked so well for gundam age!

It makes sense, if the central issue is Sara's existence causing bugs, then the final boss is a giant bug. They have to confront it, maybe wonder if protecting Sara is worth it if this is the cost, etc.

Of course all of that is completely undercut by the fact that they have a solution for the problem, and y'know, a living person is worth more than a video game so there's no actual moral conflict.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sazabi posted:

Also I call b.s. everyone knows it was Riku who taught everyone to love again. Riku saved the elf and ayame from sadness, Riku helped yuuki with something or other. Riku showed everyone how to live. Sarah just lived in his shadow.with her round dog.

I mean, yeah, of the whole team only Riku and maybe Momoka really seemed to have much of a connection to her that went deeper than "guild buddy" so it was really hollow to have the rest of the team claim that she changed their lives by being the team mascot or whatever.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also lol at Kyoya apparently being completely unable to actually finish anyone. So strong but couldn't be arsed to give one last blow?

I would love for a video game anime to have the winning team just grind the opposition to dust in a disciplined fashion during the match and save the poo poo talking for the postgame lobby, instead of doing what we got here.

A disappointing episode but it met my expectations for Build Divers!

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
They're going full AGE with this final boss coming out of nowhere

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

GBN will be revealed to be the video game that Granpa Flit used to train Kio.

The glitches will turn to not even be caused by Sarah, but instead by powerful, long distance MARS RAYS.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raxivace posted:

GBN will be revealed to be the video game that Granpa Flit used to train Kio.

That doesn't make sense.

If that was the case, Kio would be much more genocidal.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You know, GBD, the whole speech about all these things Sarah has done for everyone might work better if she'd actually done any of them. Pretty sure literally all those things they say she did were actually done by Riku, Momo and Yukki, with zero involvement from her beyond standing in the background while smiling blankly.

Also you don't do a good job of selling the protagonist's growing competence when he needs a rival and Sarah's bugs helping him to even hold his own against the main antagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also you don't do a good job of selling the protagonist's growing competence when he needs a rival and Sarah's bugs helping him to even hold his own against the main antagonist.

You also don't do a godo job of selling the main antagonist's absolute power when he can't actually kill anyone.

The last episode just kind of proved everyone is horribly incompetent and ultimately victory comes from who can scream the loudest rather than any sort of skill.

• Locked thread