Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Welcome to another Warcraft LP! For those of you who haven't followed my previous LPs (I really can't blame you, it was nearly a decade ago.), this LP continues the Warcraft tale that no one else is stupid brave enough to tackle! Now, a necessary point to make here: this is a narrative LP. There's no focus on showing off every aspect of this game (not that there's much to show off) and this certainly isn't going to teach anyone the best way to go through this game. As such this is just a fun romp through Azeroth and Draenor with some friends.

Friends?
Oh, right! You must be new here. Or... more accurately, I just haven't been around in awhile. You see, the original Warcraft games weren't exactly exciting to watch. I mean, maybe you like watching the same green guys hit the same pink guys, but it gets dull after awhile. So I've enlisted the help of some totally, absolutely canonical characters to spice things up a bit. You can read about them at my previous LPs. Reading these is pretty much required.

Okay, so what exactly is this game?
Warcraft 2: Beyond the Dark Portal is a nightmare! Well, it's an expansion to Warcraft 2. However, this was back in 90s when the best way to make an expansion was to make everything much harder. Many times the game will start you in decidedly more unfair positions while making the AI much more aggressive. That said, it also greatly changed the scope of the Warcraft universe, expanded the storyline, and introduced several iconic characters to the series! ...It also made 8 year old me trade away comic books for cheat codes.

Wait, Warcraft? As in the World of Warcraft? Filled with more history than you can shake a Gorehowl at?
Yeeeeaaaah, that's the one. Let me come clean with you: every time I've done this sort of thing, I felt like I knew a lot about the Warcraft universe. But that was eight years ago! Since then, there's been several Warcraft expansions, novels, a movie, and even actual lore books. Chris Metzen, who helped write all of the history and lore of Warcraft, even left the company! I was told that there's like... void elves now? And more time traveling?! I... I don't... oh god, my head hurts just thinking about it. So I'm going to get everything right the first time and never make any mistakes! ...Hahaha, no. This is going to be a clusterfuck.

All that said, I will try my best to keep all the lore in place. There will hopefully be a Lore update after every main update.

Can we talk about these updates here?
Yeah, each update is... pretty long. They can get out of control, even. However, I like to bring a polished product to the table. That said, I am trying to keep it so that only one update is on a given page at a time. Loading each and every image for two updates would really bog the thread down. As a related note, from time to time you may see ”Interlude” updates. Since each side (Horde and Alliance) gets a lot of screen time without the other, I may throw in these updates just to show how our other heroes are doing! ...so you don't forget who they are and everything.

Azzur posted:

Saturday Evening: Main update, an actual in-game mission with all my drawings and story and crap

Wednesday Evening: Lore update, I draw some pictures and then try and piece together the mess of Warcraft history

Friday Evening (Tentative): Interlude update, these aren't going to come after every update like the Lore updates, but they will be there to get the hype up for the upcoming Main update

What's with the drawings?
Did you miss the part about these games not being exciting to watch? Look, I'm helping you out here. Admittedly, the art style has gotten worse as I'm currently touching up my drawings with a mouse rather than my old tablet set-up. Turns out that moving a lot can be detrimental to having things! Also if you have any artwork to contribute, I'm happy to add it into the mountain of Fan Art!

Are you saying that this is all non-canonical?
What? No, this is all obviously a part of established Warcraft lore. Didn't you see that part where I said these characters were totally, absolutely canonical? That said, as with the ending of Tides of Darkness, there are some issues with keeping everything straight by the end of the game, but Beyond the Dark Portal is much better about it. I'm going to try and carefully cleave to the way things should be. But also this is a game series with kung fu pandas, magical space goats, and alien wind chime gods. So I mean, grain of salt here.

Small note here: Due to time travel shenanigans I had to introduce old updates from the archive into the thread slowly at the beginning. If you read the thread from start to finish, it will be out of order. I recommend using the helpful links below to read the story in the proper chronological order!

Azzur fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

• Necksmasher's Honorary Chieftain: Awarded to BlazetheInferno for helping me remember that Beyond the Dark Portal has some funky freakin' clan colors!
  • Least Colorblind: Awarded to McTimmy for reminding me that blue is an entirely different color from white.
  • Badge of Card Flopping: Awarded to sirtommygunn, Dr. Snark, and Doctor Syrup for their entries in the Hearthstone Contest of Champions.
  • Golden Badge of Card Flopping: Awarded to thetruegentleman for winning the Hearthstone Contest of Champions
  • Badge of the Black Dragonflight Illuminati: Awarded to Adnor for uncovering the fact that Deathwing, in fact, may be evil.
  • Best Brazilian: Awarded to HardDiskD for being the best Brazilian. D'uh. Also they've been really great throughout the thread. I ain't gotta justify myself!
  • Stocking Stuffer: Awarded to Mors Rattus, FoolyCharged, mercenarynuker, PurpleXVI, HardDiskD, Damanation, and wedgekreefor their submissions to the The Winter Veil Duel of the Greatfathers
  • Dueling Greatfather: Awarded to Dr. Snark, Slaan, and thetruegentleman for their submissions to the The Winter Veil Duel of the Greatfathers
  • Winter Veil Lucha Libre: Awarded to achtungnight for their submission to the The Winter Veil Duel of the Greatfathers and for inspiring all of Azeroth to start wearing masks and body slamming each other.
  • Panda Conspiracy Theorist: Awarded to Alkydere for their uncovering of the truth about the Pandaren.
  • Chieftain Psychologist: Awarded to Dr. Snark for their character analysis of Nigel. (Linked for posterity)

Lucha Libre!

Azzur fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 26, 2019

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Act 2: The Burning of Azeroth

Episode 5: The Rift Awakened or The Knight in Yellow

Mission Briefing

Hey, so before we get this started, it's been a long while and I made some mistakes when it came to taking screenshots. It's been awhile, okay? If the images seem blurry to you, don't get tested for glaucoma, I just made an oopsie. As a matter of fact, you should notice the difference between the first two images! However, I've already fixed this for future updates, but you're going to have to bear with the slightly lower quality this time around.

: Ah, it's drat good to be back.

: What was that, Necksmasher?

: Erm... nothing. I'm not thrilled to back here in these human lands.

: We have a job to do, you imbecile. Enough gawking at this refuse of a world.

: That's what I'm saying! Let's get out there and kill some humans and get out of here! Goooo... team!

: Laying it on a little thick today, chieftain?

: Shut your mouth, before he hears you.

: Chieftain, need I remind you that if Ner'zhul finds that we're among those clans that want to continue the war here in Azeroth...

: WHY YOU WHISPERING?! SURPRISE PARTY FOR ME?

: Errr, uhhh...

: We were discussing the reports from our spies!

: And what, pray tell, have your goblins found you?

: Well, Teron... er, Master Gorefiend? We've noted the presence of a human town to the east.

: As well as some human fortifications in the mountains to the south.

: There also seems to be a narrow pass that leads through the cliffs that could make for an excellent defensible position.

: Excuse me, I'm the chieftain around here! You should be telling me that.

: Ready the catapults. Those Kul Tiras men are still on the back foot. Let's keep them that way. Advance to the east of the river.

: Kul Ta-what? Look, you bag of bones-

: ...

: -that I greatly respect the power of.

: Good save.

: But I was invited along on this jaunt into another, stupider dimension because I know these humans. I give the orders around here.

: ...by all means.

: Yes. Well. ...move the death wagons to the east of the river.

: Brilliantly handled, chieftain.

: Quiet, you.

: Me am just happy to be taking orders.

: Fire!

: It seems as though we've roused the sentry.

: Gross!

: Haha, what are these guys wearing? That guy didn't even have any armor on.

: The forces of Kul Tiras belong to a maritime nation. They are equipped for battles at sea.

: Indeed. Though what they are doing so near the Dark Portal, I can hardly fathom.

: I was still talking, peon.

: Ah... Y-yes, sir. Lord? Your excellence?

: Zombie Lord!

: Let us get on with it. We have much work to do and little time to do it all.

: Me old friends! Come to play again?

: Ahhh... yes. This is what I've so sorely missed. Fighting hapless idiots who know what fear is.

: Chieftain, we literally just exterminated the Thunderlord and Bonechewer clans.

: Those are a different kind of idiot.

: Peon.

: Uh... me, Lord Gorefiend?

: Don't you have work to be doing?

: Not to speak out of turn, but we traditionally start building on the ashes of our enemies. As in... when they're already dead.

: My, what delicate bones you seem to possess.

: But what is tradition, really?

: Hm?

: Uh, Chieftain? We seem to have company.

: What? Oh, Netherspit. Men!

: drat, one of the death wagons.

: Only one week from retirement!

: What?

: Oh? Are you unfamiliar with non-sequiturs? Yeah, you're gonna have a blast with us.

: Simple enough. These seamen-

: Tee-hee!

: -seemed unprepared. Now, I suggest we-

: Strike ground for our main camp.

: Till the land for our crops and sustenance.

Another little mark of my oopsies. This was a bit sloppy of me, wasn't it?

: Move the catapults forward. We must work quickly.

: Hey, hey, what did I just say about being the Chieftain?!

: I do not have time to dally in this world. I wish to be gone from this plane.

: Well... yeah. You and me both, Puscloak.

: Pus... cloak?

: I assure you, it's a term of endearment.

: That is a drat lie and you know it.

: Chieftain! He can literally rip out our souls!

: Look, me can quiet-yell, too!

: Regardless! Let me handle this base, Gorefiend.

: Probably start with... I dunno, burning the rest of it down.

: Chieftain, why don't we just take the humans' crops?

: What? Gross. There's like... carrots and poo poo in there.

: Yuck! Vegegables!

: Our great hall is nearly finished construction, chieftain.

: I have also seen to having a deforestation project started not far from camp.

Okay, finally a space to breathe. Let me talk about this level and Beyond the Dark Portal in general. You may have heard that this expansion is hard. Well. It is. It's a serious pain in the rear end and I've attempted this single mission more than I have any in either WC:O&H and WC:ToD. This is where the AI ramps up and gets smart. It also pays to have some foreknowledge of what's coming your way. That comes naturally when you've played this map several times (including one successful run that failed to record). Some moves might seem odd, but it's all in the spirit of preservation.

: We've got some narrow land bridges spanning the river. Let's get those defended.

: Excuse me, Chieftain? A report from our spies.

: The mage's circle of Dalaran also has a foothold in this area.

: Move out, men. Let no human leave this land.

: You're doing it again!

: Merely expediting things. You were about to give the order, were you not?

: ...kinda smug for a guy with no face, you know that?

: Alright, men. Charge!

: Haha, these defenses are worse than those landlocked seamen!

: Tee-hee-hee!

So welcome to the annoyance of this map. There are CONSTANT attacks from blue that just home right in to where you are. The AI seems to so blatantly cheat just by striking when you least want it to.

: Chieftain, we have enemy reinforcements coming in from the rear.

: Ugh. Men, about face!

: Me think these men more fun. More weapons!

: Vilefeast isn't wrong. These soldiers seem as though they anticipated our attack more so than the Kul Tiras or even the Dalaran.

: I mean, so? They're still dead. We have a walking death machine on our side.

: You also have the services of Knight Vilefeast besides my aid.

: Wow. Presumptuous.

: Mmm! Sumptuous! Me tasty!

: Now where were we?

With these two bases taken out with your starting forces, this mission becomes a lot more bearable. Both teal and purple (Kul Tiras and Dalaran, respectively) begin with small forces that start growing quickly. It's a bit more frustrating to deal with two or three opponents, and the extra gold mine here is very helpful.

: Ahh... so much better.

: Things are proceeding apace then, Necksmasher?

: I mean, sure, whatever that means.

: Then I shall oversea the deforestation of this land. We will require the resources of this realm to continue our campaign.

: Wait, what?

I haven't talked about Teron Gorefiend yet, have I? Well... he's an rear end in a top hat. If he dies, the mission is over. TIME PARADOX. But also, he's a hero unit who specializes in magic. Which means his base stats, while better, don't actually make him much more useful beyond any other death knight. Also, HE'S A DEATH KNIGHT. VERSUS HUMANS. If you remember, humans have paladins who have access to exorcism. This spell, when fired like a machine gun by the AI, can disintegrate Gorefiend. So he's a huge liability. Fun!

: Alright... uh, I guess the being of ultimate magics is gonna get an accounting job. Meanwhile-

: Chieftain-?

: Let me guess.

: More assholes.

: In so many words, yes.

: Look at that, now they're dead assholes.

: Me follow orders, Chieftain?

: Vilefeast, no! Not literally!

: Y'know... after all these years, you think I'd be desensitized to this by now. But nope. Still awful.

: I want that pass held. No more of these humans striking out at us while we're trying to kill them!

So this choke point is important. Its where the AI tends to send the majority of its units, and the attacks are pretty frequent. However, that isn't their only method of attack. I mean it when the computer will seemingly strike where you're weakest. That means that every point of egress must be covered, old school WC: O&H style.

: Chieftain, did you forget about the land bridges?

: Nag, nag, nag... send the trolls to the bridges!

: I feel like you're trying to be clever here.

: No one appreciates genius in its time. Give me a full report.

: Our land is fully tilled and ready to support the new forces, Lord Gorefiend has the timber clearing under control, and the mountain passes are held in our grasp.

: Heh, these humans have always been weak. No wonder they lost the war.

: Chieftain so smart. Humans only think they win when they destroy portal and kill all weak orcs.

: Exactly!

: ...please look at who you're agreeing with, Chieftain.

: I've taken this relative lull in the combat to have our goblins keep an eye on the humans. Our previous scouts reported a massive keep standing watch over these lands.

: Y'know, I gotta wonder why the humans build walls at all? I mean, we're just gonna break 'em down.

: But breaking part of the fun!

: This isn't fun! This is war!

: ...why not both?

: We have humans incoming!

: The pale dogs approach!

: Hey, Bloodgut. What do you think? Brave or stupid?

: Chieftain?

: I mean, which do you have to be to swing a sword at an ogre?

: Me fight ogres all the time, Chieftain!

: Thank you for answering my question perfectly, Vilefeast.

: Me helpful. Secret genius of clan.

: Let's be proactive here. I want that gold mine taken for our coffers.

: Proactive? Have you been reading... books?

: What? Gross! We just need to stay professionally active or the humans will think us complacent.

: ...of course. I suppose even the wrong answer can be right some times.

: Haha, Chieftain dumb!

: What?!

: Er, the barracks are currently arming our warriors for the siege to come.

: Why would we need more? The men we brought are enough for this little keep.

: You say that, but...

So how did these guys slip past my defenses? Well, there's still the bridge that we arrived through, isn't there? That's right, the AI took the long way around to strike at my peons. Clever girl.

: By the rotting balls of Gul'dan!

: Chieftain!

: Even me find that distasteful.

: What? He's dead. I can say whatever I want now.

: Chieftain!

: Relax, jeez. I've got this under control. Don't see "Whorefiend" rushing to help you out.

: Huh. That guy next to you exploded.

: Nether!

: Ah, it's just one of those lesser death wagons.

: Robo-squirrel!

: Oh, are we still doing that? Yeah, sure.

: Please, Chieftain! A little help?

: Nah, you got this. Go, lil' guy. Rah. Rah.

: See? All you.

: ...I had to bite out the operator's throat.

: And it was awesome.

: You gonna finish that?

: It does remind me. Get those death wagons up to the front lines. Let's knock on the humans' front door!

: That seems ill-advised, Chieftain. As your adviser, I'd-

: My what?

: ...I'm your adviser.

: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

: Fire the death wagons.

: It seems that you've caught the humans' attention.

: Oh, no. Some swordsmen.

: ...and elves.

: ...and knights.

: ...and more swordsmen. Okay, I get it! There's a lot of them. Who cares?

: Me have been told that maybe me TOO caring.

: Maybe if you had an adviser, Nigel, you could avoid situations like this.

: Well, someone's being a little snippy today. Would you like a ride on the death wagon, little peon?

: Did you just kill our own man to prove a point to me?!

: No, but... happy accident. It's Chieftain, runt.

: Well, Chieftain, as recompense, I've had another training ground set aside to replace our soldiers who-

: Grr...

: -valiantly gave their lives in the line of duty.

: Good! More friends for slumber party!

: How long will these humans keep fighting?!

: Pillow fight!

: Head caved in by a pillow. That's a new one. Even for you.

: Shh... he sleeping.

Seriously, this fight went on for about five minutes in waves. There's a lot of jumping back and forth between barracks to train while you fight. Oh, and my 1996 version of this game doesn't let you assign hotkeys to buildings or groups. Lots of jumping around the map.

: Chieftain, our forces are getting worn down beneath the human assault.

: Do you require assistance, "Chieftain?"

: Hey, aren't you on splinter duty or something?

: I, alone, command the death knights now. Our necromantic energies will make short work of this hovel.

: Bloodgut! I command you to not... do whatever you do to get those freaks into my army.

: It requires dragging a lot of corpses into a gronn corpse.

: ...I'm not sure you're qualified to be a contractor.

: Besides, things are going just fine with my strategy!

: Bwahahahahaha!

: Chieftain, did you learn nothing about antagonizing the humans?

: They're like bees!

: They butts so stingy!

: I know just the magicks to bring to bear...

: Ugh, and you pronounced it wrong!

: Peon. More temples.

: This world is all too fortunate to house my kin.

: Hey, No-Face! You're an orc, too!

: The skin I once wore is of no meaning.

: Ugh, I think I actually prefer Shouty McWon't Shut Up. Vilefeast, take some men and... I dunno, Vilefeast something.

: Yay! Me a verb now!

: ...he knows what a verb is?

: Ahh! Jumpscare squirrel!

: Me prefer psychological horror.

: Mm? Yay! More friends!

: Err... Too many friends?

: Hmm... many friends sleeping. Me Vilefeast too hard.

Meanwhile...

: Yesss... those stones there. I can feel the power returning to this old form.

: Oh, yeah, no, that's great. I love when the dead warlock possessing the body of a dead human starts chuckling to himself.

: Necrolyte.

: Death knights are the fusion of human knights and the souls of necrolytes from the First War, Chieftain.

: Bloodgut...

: Get back to work.

: Uh, Chieftain. Me friends all fell asleep.

: Oh.

: Well... that's bad. Ah, well, gotta lose a few Bloodguts in a siege.

: Wait, chieftain. Do you think civilians are called... Bloodgut?

: Is that... not true?

: I'll handle this. You imbecile.

: Your souls belong to me.

Teron Gorefiend isn't exactly an impressive hero in this game, but that's not to say that his stats aren't impressive. He can still hit pretty hard for a caster and has Death Coil. I haven't talked much about magic in the previous LP, so I'll take some time here to talk about it. Death Coil is an AoE spell that fires off a more damaging version of the death knight attack, but evenly spreads the damage to all units within a 3x3 grind. This damage is then returned to the caster as health. It's... mostly useless! Don't get your death knights that close!

: What delectable fear.

: By the Nether, you're a sick gently caress.

: I'm more motivated than ever before to get this job over with.

: Yes, I would agree that moving forward with the siege would benefit us. It seems that the humans are digging in more and more by the moment.

: Haha, death wagons!

: Did you forget this part?

: You would think that, wouldn't you?

: Go, you hulking gronn-slaves! Do good out there and I'll let you keep a horse for dinner!

: "Well."

: I agree. Well done.

: We've bloodied their nose, Chieftain, but I think we're still a ways off from taking the keep.

: My men shall handle this.

: What, no. Buzz kill.

This spell being cast here (indicated by the glowing red shield) is Unholy Armor. It's... pretty rad if you're talented at micro (I am not). When cast on a target, it takes half of their HP, but in turn makes them invulnerable to damage for a short period of time. It's best used for little precise attacks, but I'm sure there's a case to be made for spamming it across your army during a full on assault.

: Now, my minion.

Now THIS is a spell. Death and Decay causes the ground to explode in puffs of evil energy and accompanied by the sounds of dread castanets clacking a dirge of death. Anything in this area takes massive amounts of damage. Anything. Units, buildings, walls, your spirit if you're getting hit with it. It also has amazing range, is affected by the Haste spell, and can be stacked on top of each other. Walking into two or three Death and Decay going off at once is a quick way to lose a unit.

: Uh... what's going on?

: I'm teaching these humans the concept of mortality.

: I have to say it IS effective.

: That doesn't mean it's the better way to do things!

: Gaah!

Oh, yeah, paladins. They just wreck death knights. Their exorcism spell, as mentioned earlier, will turn your siege magic into dust in the wind.

: These humans wield the Light!

: Me no like the Light!

: It shall cause our energies to come undone!

: And the Light version never taste as good as the original!

: Ugh, looks like it's time to be the big hero.

: Death knights! Assemble!

: Alright, you walking calcium deposit, let's do this.

: Let's hurry before your flesh decays from your very fragile form.

: Vilefeast! Move up those death wagons! Show 'em how we won the First War!

: How primitive. Knights?

: The building just... melted...

: Pfft. Anyone can do that.

: NIGEL! WHY DIDN'T WE USE THESE MAGIKS DURING THE LAST WAR?!

: Wow. Okay. LOT to unpack there. First, it's pronounced "mag-"

: Ssssss!

: Hahahahaha... man, those paladins are dicks.

: Erhm. Chieftain? We found a series of prison cells beneath the keep.

: Hey, Swampbreath! This thing here the source of your PMS?

: ...are you even listening to me?

: Better?

: Much.

: You owe me.

: Ah... that sounds of carnage.

: The screams of the dead and dying.

: We should do this again some time, you horrible affront to my sensibilities.

: I look forward to our business together.

: ...I don't want to even fathom how either of you can stand one another. But as I was saying, Chieftain. The prisons...

Later, in the cells beneath Nethergarde Keep.

: It smells like Vilefeast down here.

: Thank you!

: Water...

: By the ancestors... Is that...?

: Aw, gross! Look at him! Hey, Vilefeast, check this out!

: Reeheehee! Maggy shaggy!

: Vile-mon...? Bloodbelly?

: Conveniently forgot your Chieftain, did you?

: He's emaciated and dehydrated. Get some food to this man!

: Nah, he'll be fine. Victory!

: ...kill me...

Azzur fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 22, 2018

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Heroes: Danath motherfucking Trollbane

Lore for... Can Love Bloom on the Battlefield?

Before I start anything, let me just say that a lot of the heroes on the Alliance side (and many among the Horde side) are real fan favorites and have some pretty in depth stories that take place after the events of "Beyond the Dark Portal." Not everyone here is a hyper-sperg Warcraft nerd, so if we could avoid all spoilers for these characters, that would be awesome. Hell, I even have to be careful myself. My first write up of this had a big ol' spoiler in it that I had to fix. Alright, we cool? We cool. Thanks.

So let's start off our human round-up of heroes with none other than Danath motherfucking Trollbane. That name may sound familiar to you if you were a weird kid like me and constantly read the old Warcraft II manual. The leader of Stromgarde during the Second War was none other than Thoras Trollbane, depicted as a big doofy looking giant man at the head of the table of gathered leaders. But the Second War was only two years ago, and Danath isn't exactly a child. It's unlikely that he's Thoras's son. So he's likely a member of the family somewhere. But let's take a look at what we do know for sure.

"Draw steel, boys." Classic line. Love this man.

So who the hell is Danath? He's called a mercenary captain in the mission briefing, but he's actually significantly more than that. First off, he's a tried and true Stromgarde boy. If you remember from my previous Lore update, that means he doesn't gently caress around. During the Second War, Danath "MF" Trollbane was a mercenary captain in Stromgarde, which saw a poo poo ton of fighting. If you recall, their impregnable fortress of Tol Barad was actually attacked by the orcish Horde and held against the Alliance until it was eventually retaken. They also held off the Black Tooth Grin clan in the dwarven lands of Khaz Modan. It was there that Danath fought back the sons of Blackhand and stood out as a badass. I mean, he must have been badass enough for General Turalyon to take him on as his tactical advisor. Now, I'm not going to be too biased here, but... Danath wasn't in charge of the tactics for the First War and they lost. He was in charge of them for the Second War and they won. I'm just sayin'.

But then the war ended and what do old soldiers do? Well, Danath here got to become Azeroth's most badass jailer, that's what! In reality, he had a cushy desk job in New Stormwind overseeing all of the orcish internment camps spread across the land. Because one thing that I actually like about Warcraft II is that they dealt with the aftermath of the war. The orcs just weren't all rounded up and killed, somebody had to look after them. And they left good ol' orc-smashing, troll-killing, ogre-mushing Danath in charge. ...except that he's actually a cool and level-headed guy and he wasn't just torturing the orcs for their life-long sentences. I mean, they were still in prison for the rest of their lives, but it wasn't miserable. That came with the next guy, but he's important later.

I don't think someone with the last name "Trollbane" would consider a desk job a promotion at all.

Interestingly enough, Danath's relative and lord of Stromgarde, Thoras, wasn't a big fan of these camps. His thought process was more like, “Guys, why aren't we just killing all the orcs? I mean, orcs don't like us. We don't like them. How about we just... I dunno, make 'em extinct?” I'm sure that Winter Veil feasts back at home were a little awkward when your relative wants all of your charges killed en masse.

So now the dead start rising up, the orcs are getting broken out of their internment camps, and Danath meets up with his old pal Turalyon again. The Second War gang's getting back together! I mean, anything's got to be better than figuring out food shipments to various prisons spread across Azeroth! Right? ...Right?

Ah, gently caress.

Azzur fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 16, 2018

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Oh, wow, this is a blast from the past.

Really happy to see you back, Azzur, good work!

Danath's a pretty great guy... sort of.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Jesus Christ, let me guess, you write Harry Potter incest fan fiction too.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

504 posted:

It's more of a weekend hobby.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So what's up with gorefiend, why's he so important he gets his own missions?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Holy poo poo this is actually happening.

Good to have Necksmasher's Necksmashers back. It's been far, far too long.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

NewMars posted:

Thanks to the weird way I left off the previous thread, there's a post coming up for Gorefiend later this week. I like to alternate Main Post > Lore Post, but I didn't upload Danath's Lore post all those years ago, so I'm a bit behind.

Also hey, glad to have you on board! I'm not even sure that this is the sort of LP that anyone is looking for nowadays, but after getting PMs and emails about finishing what I had started, I figured I may as well try and tie up these loose ends that I've left dangling. Besides, Beyond the Dark Portal really does need to get shown off. It's just a shame that the person showing it off is actually super abysmal at the game. Seriously, BtDP is a tough bastard. Each mission takes me at least a few trial and error attempts and lots of swearing after failing an hour in.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Well, this is a fun surprise! Thanks for keeping on, after all these years. This is one of the missions I remember most vividly from my young'n days, watching my uncle try and beat the mission for hours as well.

NewMars posted:

That's what the mission briefing is for.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
whoo! This is back! Just reread the older threads last month.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Azzur posted:

Thanks to the weird way I left off the previous thread, there's a post coming up for Gorefiend later this week. I like to alternate Main Post > Lore Post, but I didn't upload Danath's Lore post all those years ago, so I'm a bit behind.

Also hey, glad to have you on board! I'm not even sure that this is the sort of LP that anyone is looking for nowadays, but after getting PMs and emails about finishing what I had started, I figured I may as well try and tie up these loose ends that I've left dangling. Besides, Beyond the Dark Portal really does need to get shown off. It's just a shame that the person showing it off is actually super abysmal at the game. Seriously, BtDP is a tough bastard. Each mission takes me at least a few trial and error attempts and lots of swearing after failing an hour in.

I wasn't looking for this LP but that's only because it had been so long that I had given up hope. Great to see it back!

edit:

504 posted:

you sure seem angry that someone is doing an lp that you don't like

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 7, 2018

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Holy poo poo we're going to possibly see the finish.

Are you still planning on someday continuing into WC3?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

NewMars posted:

Quick and easy version: he’s the first ever Death Knight. He and the rest were secretly more loyal to Gul’dan than the Horde at large, but largely stopped giving a gently caress about much of anything after Gul’dan kicked the bucket... and as we saw this mission, they’re a valuable resource for the Horde’s war machine.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Sum Mors posted:

Holy poo poo we're going to possibly see the finish.

Are you still planning on someday continuing into WC3?

One step at a time! The past eight years (Christ, it really only feels like it's been a few months.) have been really crazy and the stars sort of aligned for me to have the free time to sit down and finish this up. However, I would love to eventually bring the gang 20 years into Azeroth's future to see WC3. That said, DoubleNegative is doing a WC3 playthrough right now and it's been really great!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Is this the longest time a LP has gone without updates and then been resurrected? Because I'm pretty sure you just set some kind of record.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

SirSamVimes posted:

Is this the longest time a LP has gone without updates and then been resurrected? Because I'm pretty sure you just set some kind of record.

I don't suppose you'll believe me when I said that I lived without internet for a few years?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Azzur posted:

I don't suppose you'll believe me when I said that I lived without internet for a few years?

:stare: I don't think I'd be able to survive.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

SirSamVimes posted:

:stare: I don't think I'd be able to survive.

Well, it wasn't so bad. I still had a smartphone and access to internet cafes and PCBangs. Long story short, lots of backpacking and living in various parts of the world where my language skills aren't good enough to set up stable internet. Thankfully, I have a home WITH internet now. Very proud of this accomplishment.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well now. Never thought to see this again.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
And there was much rejoicing... Welcome back!

Hello Humans!!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Azzur posted:

Well, it wasn't so bad. I still had a smartphone and access to internet cafes and PCBangs. Long story short, lots of backpacking and living in various parts of the world where my language skills aren't good enough to set up stable internet. Thankfully, I have a home WITH internet now. Very proud of this accomplishment.

well if ever there was an excuse to abandon your loyal viewers i suppose that's a good one

(i kid of course, welcome back to civilization)

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
So good to see this thread show up again, welcome back!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Azzur posted:

That would certainly explain why you kinda disappeared. Until you started posting in the Warcraft 3 thread I thought you had died or something :ohdear:

But instead we get an easter-ish miracle thing :neckbeard:

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Looking forward to this. I was the weird one who never had access to the wc2 expansion, so looking forward to seeing new content. Its a glorious time to like old Warcraft games on this forum.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

I am so very glad to see that this isn't dead! Welcome back and I look forward to more!

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Aces High posted:

But instead we get an easter-ish miracle thing :neckbeard:

I was hoping to get everything ready by April 1st just to drive home the whole "Is this real?" factor, but I ended up missing some flights and getting stuck away from home. I'll accept and pretend that this was all a ploy to make everyone think that I've returned from the dead, however.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

On a whim I decide to visit the LP forum for the first time in years and I'm just in time to see you're back! Great to see you're not dead, and I'm excited to see you finish this.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

I actually read those Warcraft 1 and 2 LPs from a decade ago a few weeks back. Had both of those games when I was young and played mainly WC2 a lot, even if I was pretty bad at the time. I really enjoyed reading about the adventures of Nigel and was looking around to see if you'd done Beyond the Dark Portal. Was a bit disappointed initially to learn it existed but never made it too far in, so it's really cool to see it back. Will definitely be keeping up with this one.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

SirSystemError posted:

I actually read those Warcraft 1 and 2 LPs from a decade ago a few weeks back. Had both of those games when I was young and played mainly WC2 a lot, even if I was pretty bad at the time. I really enjoyed reading about the adventures of Nigel and was looking around to see if you'd done Beyond the Dark Portal. Was a bit disappointed initially to learn it existed but never made it too far in, so it's really cool to see it back. Will definitely be keeping up with this one.

Awesome, man! Welcome to the ground floor! ...sort of.

If I have any memories of the previous threads, this will slowly turn into a thread filled with people who know a hell of a lot more about this series than me, amazing artwork, and some really strange tangents. Dr. Phil'Jaeden should make an appearance once more. He stands out as being the best thing I've ever created.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Azzur posted:

Awesome, man! Welcome to the ground floor! ...sort of.

If I have any memories of the previous threads, this will slowly turn into a thread filled with people who know a hell of a lot more about this series than me, amazing artwork, and some really strange tangents. Dr. Phil'Jaeden should make an appearance once more. He stands out as being the best thing I've ever created.

Hey now, you can't just bring up something that great and not post it for all the people who don't have archives.

:allears:

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.
Good times... good times...

I suppose I should probably try and hunt down another drawing tablet. I have somewhat limited resources out where I live right now, but it would make my job so much easier.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
YESSSS

Nothing to add to that.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Much like SirSystemError, I read your LPs in the archives a few weeks back, in part because of DoubleNegative's WC3 LP.
I am absolutely looking forward to reading your work. I did have heaps of fun reading the archived things.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
*gasp*

It's you!

C'mon, let's zug-zug the hell out of the stinky humans.

Right, let's keep the thread moving, I'm hoping you'll be able to get the old posts out of the archives.

DLord
Apr 28, 2013
Yes this is back. I have hoped and dreamed for this day. Your old threads are still saved in my favorites and I read through them from time to time. YESSS!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Victory!

I was just digging through some old bookmarks this weekend and saw the old threads. What a blast from the past.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME APOLOGIST HAS LOGGED ON
Holy crap man. I just re-read your ones like two weeks ago and got sad that BTP never got finished!

Go go Necksmasher.

And I guess bloodbelly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
No cheering for mag'fon?

Nobody likes trolls...