Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I’m glad to see Mag’fon back but I pity his situation so much I can’t cheer comfortably. He was in prison, now he’s in Hell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Hey now, I'm sure bloodgut will help him!

...Eventually, maybe? Also ooh, new page.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

achtungnight posted:

I’m glad to see Mag’fon back but I pity his situation so much I can’t cheer comfortably. He was in prison, now he’s in Hell!

: That's ridiculous! I treat all of my disposable morons with love and care!

: Does that mean we won't have another forced march tonight?

: Insubordination! Half rations for you, Bloodgut!

Hey, now that we've made it to page two, I'll be pulling some of the old updates out from the archives. Just as soon as I finish up this 8 hour work day.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME APOLOGIST HAS LOGGED ON

Azzur posted:

: That's ridiculous! I treat all of my disposable morons with love and care!

: Does that mean we won't have another forced march tonight?

: Insubordination! Half rations for you, Bloodgut!

Hey, now that we've made it to page two, I'll be pulling some of the old updates out from the archives. Just as soon as I finish up this 8 hour work day.

Half rations of nothing is still nothing Nigel.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Half rations of nothing is still nothing Nigel.

He could've had half of a crawling bug on the ground.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.
Prologue

Draenor

: I think that went well.

: ...Chieftain...

: Come on, get Maggy. We're goin' back in there.

: The portal is... it's closed, Chieftain.

: Ah.

: Chieftain kill human!

: Well, open it then.

: I... don't think we can.

: Ugh.

: "Chieftain" Necksmasher?

: How you talk in quotes?

: Who the Nether are you? Be careful about how you answer. I stabbed the last guy who I asked that.

: Chieftain, that's Ner'zhul!

: Ner'who?

: The Warchief! He lead us before the portal was open. The spiritual leader of our land! How do you not know this?

: I was pretty much drunk for like... ninety percent of my life.

: Necksmasher. Come with me. I have need of you.

: Why should I- ...eh, I guess I'm not doing anything. Coming, Bloodgut?

: Uh, Chieftain...? Did Mag'fon come through with us?

: Ruh-roh, Maggy!

Blasted Lands formerly The Swamp of Sorrows

: Gaaaaazz...

: I hear him! Over that crest!

: Aye, aye, I'm comin'.

: Varin? Varin! What happened!?

: Oh, hell, mage. That blasted orc did a number on 'im.

: Gaz. Gaz...

: Varin, please, you need to rest now.

: I... I know his name. I have to... I have to kill him.

: Oi', 'e's long gone, Cap'n.

: He'll... *cough* He'll be back. I have to kill him.

: Light, he's out cold. Ruku, send for a paladin.

: ...Mage. Did we... win?

: I don't know, Ruku. I really don't know.

:siren::siren:Beyond the Dark Portal Opening Cinematic:siren::siren:

Azzur fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 3, 2018

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Act 1: Draenor, the Red World

Episode 1: Slayer of Shadowmoon or Hellscreaming Mad

Mission Briefing

: This is stupid.

: Chieftain, these are orders from Ner'zhul himself.

: I don't care about that! I mean... I'm Vilefeast's subordinate!

: Hee hee... subordinate.

: Ugh. Let's just get on with this? What's the plan here, you walking aneurysm?

: Ahem!

: ARGH. Fine. What's the plan, Zombie Lord walking aneurysm?

: Me think... go scout, Vilefeast!

: Err...

: I think he means for us to scout out, chieftain.

So this is the introduction that you get to Beyond the Dark Portal. It's one of those "you only have oh-so-many units" kind of deals. There is a lovely amount of detail to this, however, and I'll cover that as we get to it. Right now, I want to focus on the fact that our job here is to "subjugate" the death knights. Give our forces at the moment, this is no easy task.

: And to think I trusted that old guy...

Two years earlier...

: So, you're this "mighty chieftain" that I've been hearing so much about?

: I have ordered a lot of men to their deaths, yes.

: I have a question for you, then. Do you want to work for me-?

: No.

: ...Would you let me finish? Younglings these days...

: What!? I'm no youngling, I'm-!

: As I was saying... would you like to work for me and return to the land of the humans?

: ...I may be persuaded to do so.

: Excellent. Gather your men. We have preparations to make.

Now, back outside the Halls of the Damned...

: ...and we've spent our time since then getting preparations prepared to get ready for preparation or some crap like that!

: War is not something that you can start overnight.

: Charge! Swing axe like great warrior Vilefeast!

: The hell you can't! I could destroy a whole nation... no, world... in a night. All this is doing is humiliating me! I don't even have a clan, yet!

: Uh, Chieftain? Did Vilefeast just... hurl magic?

: Yeah, sure. Okay. Look, Bloodgut, I was talking.

: Me just swing axe at them and think about blood. It work! Me am good Zombie Lord.

: All I'm saying is, if we could get through that portal, then I should be over there commanding Vilefeast to tear the throat out of some blonde human.

: I'm very serious, Chieftain. Vilefeast just tore the souls out of those trolls.

So, Beyond the Dark Portal wouldn't meet our expectations of a good expansion nowadays. It didn't bring any new units or spells. There are no new buildings and no new game modes. What it does bring, however, is a new tileset (which you may have noticed) for Draenor. It also includes new critters that I assume are now known as hellboars. They are... less than adorable.

: Speaking of which, it really has been a long time since we left Maggy behind. He's probably dead, huh?

: Dead like me!

: Chieftain! He was our own soldier and a dear friend.

: Exactly. That's why we're talking about it, Bloodgut. Y'know... closure or some poo poo. Oh, incoming.

: Hrrruuuuuaaaah!

: Noooo, piggy!

: What the Nether was that!?

: See, Chieftain? I think that Vilefeast has finally understood his powers.

: ME AM SO SORRY, PIGGY! ME NOT MEAN FOR SUPER AXE TO HIT YOU!

: ...I don't think understand is the right world.

: Chieftain, it seems that there are Warsong clan members captured here.

So, I feel like not starting this level with trolls is a nice touch. Imagine the orc forces returning from Azeroth with these trolls in tow. Pretty sure they'd become slave citizens pretty fast. There's nothing written concerning this, but I feel like this mission has you freeing not only possible magical experiments, but enslaved trolls as well. Maybe I'm thinking too much about this.

: Welcome to the cause, peons!

: What cause is that, exactly, Chieftain?

: ...Preparing? Look, I don't know the details, but we're killing things. That's enough for me.

: ...piggy...

: Chieftain? A little help?

: Ugh, fine. Vilefeast! Stop crying, you can't even make tears! Look, if you get back on your little horsie, we can go murder more possibly innocent people.

: YAY! Innocent!

KA-BOOOOOM!

: They're using my death wagons against us!?

: That isn't your death wagon, Chieftain. How would-

: Yep. That's one of mine for sure. Vilefeast!

: Yes, Chieftain?

: Order us to destroy it already!

: Oh, right! Death wagon! Go!

: I don't even think that was an order...

: Eh, close enough.

So I can't really get this feeling across in screenshots, but this is actually a pretty tense little map. You have very few units and you're traveling through tight spaces with enemies coming out of the gloom pretty frequently. It's very much in your head that there will be death knights to fight, which could reduce your forces to dust in seconds. Every turn feels like it could be the last.

: Bored. Bored. Bored.

: Not bored! Groinbiter II! Charge!

Skeletons still suck and are useless.

: ...They not even hard. Soft humans harder than hard skeletons.

: Uh...?

: Don't question the idiot with the might of a gronn, the power of a warlock, and a lack of brains to make it all work properly.

: BOOOOORED...

: So why did Vilefeast get put in charge, anyway? I mean... he's never lead anything but a charge.

: Ner'zhul thought that a fellow death knight would be able to negotiate with his brethren better.

: ...

: Yeah, I know. Think of everything wrong with that sentence and get back to me.

: I mean, Vilefeast isn't even a death knight!

: Uh, d'uh.

: And... and... negotiation!?

: Hahaha, I know right? This is gonna be hilarious.

: What does Ner'zhul even think-

: HEY, YOU! YEAH, YOU!

: Oh, by the beard of Groinbiter II...

: Hey!

: ...I hate this guy.

: GET ME OUT OF HERE ALREADY.

: Hello...

: ...Grom.

: We're working as fast as we can, Chieftain Hellscream!

: WHO BRINGS A PEON OUT TO WAR WITH THEM? WAIT, DON'T TELL ME... YOU'RE THE GREAT "HUMAN CHIEFTAIN," AREN'T YOU?

One thing that Beyond the Dark Portal does do, however, is use hero units much more and much better. Take a look at Grom's stats. In comparison, the ogre (the beefiest of the units you will get) has only 90 hit points, 4 armor, and 2-12 damage. Grom could take on a small army single-handedly. You will lose the mission if Grom dies, but that's a difficult task to accomplish with a unit this badass.

: The what!?

: Uh, oh...

: YEAH, THE ORC WHO WENT TO THE HUMAN LANDS AND CAME BACK DRESSING AND ACTING LIKE THEM. YOU'RE NOT EVEN A REAL CHIEFTAIN, ARE YOU?

: Grr... Grom I-

: You would do well not to speak to my charge that way, mortal. I suggest we dispense with pleasantries and move along our way.

: AH, THE DEAD ONE. I HAVE NO LOVE FOR YOU CREATURES. WE'RE ALL FORTUNATE THAT NER'ZHUL PROTECTS YOU. COME. THERE IS A HAVEN NOT FAR FROM HERE.

: I don't think you act like a human, Chieftain.

: Shut up, Bloodgut.

: HERE. MY MEN WERE CLEARING THE LAND HERE BEFORE THE UNDEAD MADE THEIR GRAB FOR POWER. IT IS OURS NOW.

: Bloodgut, you know what to do.

: Alright, men! Chop, chop! Grab your weapons! We have negotiations to make.

Later...

: COME. THE UNDEAD WOULD PASS THROUGH HERE. I SAW THEM FROM MY PRISON.

: Carved right into the rock... Impressive.

: Mmm... impassive.

: BE ON YOUR TOES. THEY DOUBTLESSLY HAVE TRAITORS GUARDING THE ENTRANCE.

: Maybe if some of us were a little more quiet.

: WHAT WAS THAT!?

: Incoming!

: Incoming!

: Please stop that, Vilefeast.

: Please top hat, Vilefeat.

: GOREHOWL! SING! PLAY THEIR FINAL DIRGE!

: Ugh. Do you see why I hate this guy?

: So cool... Me want sing, too!

: Oooooooooo! Eeeeeee!

: HAHA! THE UNDEAD THINKS IT'S PEOPLE! JOIN ME IN THEIR SLAUGHTER, YOU FOUL ABOMINATION!

: Me am abobinatishun.

: ...I think we can move on now.

: Shh... quietly.

: WHAT? WHY?

: For the love of... Vilefeast!

: Me am stealthy. Like snake.

: So, thanks for nearly blowing our cover there, Mister Shouty.

: YOU WOULD RUN FROM BATTLE? NO WONDER THEY CALL YOU THE HUMAN CHIEFTAIN.

: Now listen here, you lousy-

: Uh, Chieftains. We have soldiers falling over dead. Maybe we could keep moving?

That's a pretty nasty trap, actually. While you're passing through the mountains there, the death knight from above hurls death coils at your forces. The brutality of it is mitigated by the fact that it's such an expensive spell, so it's not going to be cast more than twice.

: Ah, for once I agree with you, Grom.

I don't think I ever got to show a death knight dying yet. They collapse into a pool of green energy and robes.

: I hate these bastards.

: Me too!

: ISN'T HE ONE OF THEM AS WELL?

: Sort of? It's something of a long story.

: Y'know, I have to commend the death knights for leaving us a trail of prisoners at least.

: Yes, leaving behind a cadre of men who you've tortured and beaten for the enemy to enlist doesn't seem too bright.

: Uh, uh, Bloodgut. We aren't the enemy. We're "negotiators."

: Speak of the devil. We're here, Vilefeast. Get to negotiating.

: Okay!

: Excuse me! Me am making a motion!

: Oh, this is already starting off great.

: The motion pass through your head. Me continue with terms of deal.

: WHAT'S HE DOING?

: Shh, shh... this is gonna be great.

: Deal with me axe now. Me find you not stand against such equititable terms.

: And... um... you should uh...

Please note Grom tanking hits like a goddamn monster.

: Uh. By my motion be smashed! SMASH!

: Very eloquent.

: That silly. Me not feel sick at all.

: WHAT?

: We've sort of just let those non sequiturs slide.

: THIS SHOULD TEACH THOSE KNIGHTS TO GET IN LINE.

: Well, Chieftain Hellscream, it is a pleasure to work with you. I look forward to working with you in the upcoming invasion.

: WHAT!?

: Uh, well, Ner'zhul had us rescue you so I assumed...

: No. No way. Not happening. I would sooner lick Vilefeast's loincloth.

: THE FEELING IS MUTUAL, HUMAN-LOVER.

: You bastard! I'll kill you!

: Victory.

: Chieftains!

: RRRAAAAARGGGH!

Azzur fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 22, 2018

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.
Just in case people are suddenly confused, these "updates" are being pulled from the archives so that people don't have dig back through and I can keep everything in one convenient place. Two down, several more to go!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Ah, vilefeast, your negotiation strategy is second to none.

So how is this reposting supposed to go, one per page?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Grom Hellscream as a shouty idiot really works.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Vilefeast is an ok negotiatior, but eventually he’ll get to Corben Dallas level. “We can nego...” POW! “Anyone else want to negotiate?”

I’m also looking forward to him discovering his more advanced Death Knight spells at some point. Whirlwind, for example- it looks cool and can be devestating, but is very inaccurate and uncontrollable. Like its caster. :D

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Oh, is this where Hellscream comes from?

I think in WC3 he's part of the Warsong clan. Is that a thing established in WC2, or will that come after?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

painedforever posted:

I think in WC3 he's part of the Warsong clan. Is that a thing established in WC2, or will that come after?

Red orcs in BtDP are the Warsong clan.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

NewMars posted:

So how is this reposting supposed to go, one per page?

That's the goal! I'd like to try and get everything caught up before I start posting "new content" since reading this LP straight through would get confusing chronologically. However, I keep the OP meticulously updated so that newcomers can (hopefully) read everything in the proper order.

painedforever posted:

Totally a thing that gets established right here, right now! Straight from the Beyond the Dark Portal manual:

achtungnight posted:

I'm also looking forward to him discovering his more advanced Death Knight spells at some point. Whirlwind, for example- it looks cool and can be devestating, but is very inaccurate and uncontrollable. Like its caster. :D

Yeah, one of the regrets I have about the previous LP is how little I showed off the casters and their spells. Definitely fixing that this time around, though I'm still really awful at using most of these spells well. Actually, has anyone ever found a way to use Whirlwind well?

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Azzur posted:

Actually, has anyone ever found a way to use Whirlwind well?

Well, if you're tired of continuously clicking on your units to piss them off and have no more sheep to explode, you can chain whirlwind sounds and imagine it's a really bad weather out there.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Whirlwind- I usually tried sending a lone Death Knight to unleash it on a human base from a distance so I didn't have to worry about it damaging my forces... but invariably either the damage I needed to do to the enemy to get the caster close enough made this impractical (I'd already done a lot more damage with more precision) or exposed the caster to too much danger (drat Paladin Exorcism!). Then I discovered Death & Decay, a much better tool for wasting enemy spawner buildings (Barracks, etc) and the units that come out of them with Destruction Zones... :D

Getting through some of the Dark Portal maps without cheating drove me so nuts.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Heroes: Grom Hellscream and the disappearing Mogor!

Lore for... Hellscreaming Mad

Let's get right down to business here and continue talking about how badass Grom Hellscream is. Let's look at this handy-dandy diagram:

Yeah, no, this guy doesn't look intimidating as hell or anything.

Well, here we have...
  • A rockin' 90's look. You can smell the leather and sweat just looking at this guy.
  • A tattooed mandible. The color? JET BLACK.
  • A wicked looking axe that literally howls as he fights.
But seriously, Grom is a very major player in the Warcraft history to come and I want to give him the proper treatment that he deserves.

Grom Hellscream is the chieftain of the Warsong clan, one of the most brutal and violent clans on Draenor. Back before the portal to Azeroth was opened, the Burning Legion was still trying to create the perfect warriors. Here's a quick refresher in case you forgot. So when cups of demon blood were being passed out, Grom was the first in line. Of course, the blood of Mannoroth drove him mad with power and bloodlust. Grom began to look for a fight wherever he could get it, leading the charge against the draenei and just generally kicking rear end before the Dark Portal was opened.

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, no one has actually written any fiction that specifically covers the First War (I think this has since changed, but nevertheless; Blizzard, call me, f'serious, I've got a great book idea for you guys), so I don't know if Grom and the Warsong were present in the fighting. However, given that the Horde won, I feel like we safely assume that Grom was there kicking rear end and screaming at corpses. The Second War (Tides of Darkness, if you haven't figured out by now), however, the Warsong were held in reserve back on Draenor. I have no idea why Doomhammer thought that would be a good idea. I mean, Grom is a force of nature and his Warsong are no slouches either. I've read that Gul'dan had a hand in keeping Grom back, but... y'know... why?

Of course, now that the Horde has been pushed back through the Dark Portal, Grom has been remembered and becomes Ner'zhul's right-hand man. With Gorehowl at his side, Grom cuts a bloody swath through orcs and humans alike. We will definitely be seeing more of him later.

I'm not even going to begin to understand the metal eyepatch there.

Who we will not be seeing more of, but hearing more of, is the ogre-mage/shaman Mogor. If you're one of those people that actually clicks on the mission briefings, you may have noted that the narrator states that Mogor had taken control of the Shattered Hand death knights who have researched a spell capable of opening the Dark Portal once more.

That is a ballsy move, sir ogre.

I mean, this ogre takes control of a group of death knights. No one bats an eye at the oddity of that? I wish that there was more done with Mogor, but as you can see, he didn't even make the cut for Warcraft II. He doesn't have a hero unit. He doesn't have special stats. He doesn't show up anywhere. He does, however, affect the story of Draenor pretty significantly. He's going to show up much, much later...

Oh, and for any of you World of Warcraft players who thinks that name sounds familiar? Many of you were able to play through poor Mogor's death. Yes, his story has ended, which means that all super amazing stuff that could have been written for him is pretty much gone.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.
I forgot about the Lore that went with this! Whoops!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

achtungnight posted:

Vilefeast is an ok negotiatior, but eventually he’ll get to Corben Dallas level. “We can nego...” POW! “Anyone else want to negotiate?”

I’m also looking forward to him discovering his more advanced Death Knight spells at some point. Whirlwind, for example- it looks cool and can be devestating, but is very inaccurate and uncontrollable. Like its caster. :D
Maybe the spell is completely under his control but he has too much fun sending it back and forth. Wheee!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Poil posted:

Maybe the spell is completely under his control but he has too much fun sending it back and forth. Wheee!

Yeah, that sounds like Vilefeast too. And him not noticing or caring that it hits his allies is probably also believable. Falling in love with the idea of Haste, casting it constantly, and not noticing the bugs on it (doesn't affect a lot of units, including Death Wagons, only affects Attack Speed for Dragons or lumber chopping for Peons, etc) also sounds like Vilefeast behavior. And maybe he can cast Death & Decay some also- I think my usual cruel use of it to take out Peasants entering and leaving the enemy Castles sounds more like Gorefiend behavior and it might be hard to set up on some levels, but it is a fun trick to try.

I also hope for Raise Dead to be used by Vilefeast (Skeleton Buddies may not last long, but they can do some damage and it'd be funny to see a Death Knight constantly reviving enemy troops to keep his Skeleton Buddies around. Although that might increase the challenge factor of some levels. I was really peeved when I learned how much Summoning in WC2 was nerfed when compared to WC1 (I loved using Spiders and Scorpions, or Demons and Elementals, to harass the enemy in that game, and I know Azzur did too from his previous LP).

I'll comment on Ravigaz's Human Magic Spells when we see the Humans again.

I hope we see Gary again in the expansion Human Missions. That Peasant was a badass.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Shouty idiot Grom is pretty much perfectly the character conveyed by his voice lines; Warcraft 3 ruined him.
Still the most badass orc ever.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Grom is the inferior Hellscream.

:colbert:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

Grom is the inferior Hellscream.

:colbert:

What? That's nonsense. He's the only hellscream so by definition this statement makes no sense. There has not and never shall be another and I shall hear no more on the matter.

On a different note, I looked up what was up with Mag'fon's name. What did he do to get a name that means "deliberately kicked myself out of troll society forever?"

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

NewMars posted:

On a different note, I looked up what was up with Mag'fon's name. What did he do to get a name that means "deliberately kicked myself out of troll society forever?"

Eight years. It's been eight years and only now is that brought up!

I guess we'll have to wait and see, huh? (Not going to be happening in WC2, though, so try and make it to WC3)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Presumably his accent was too incomprehensible even for the other trolls.

I openly admit I thought it was just a play on "megaphone".

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Azzur posted:

Eight years. It's been eight years and only now is that brought up!

I guess we'll have to wait and see, huh? (Not going to be happening in WC2, though, so try and make it to WC3)

I'm pretty sure that's going to be the longest lead-up in LP history right there, unless we're also counting whatever the hell is going to happen to Vilefeast come WC3 given how...special he is.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Azzur posted:

Yeah, one of the regrets I have about the previous LP is how little I showed off the casters and their spells. Definitely fixing that this time around, though I'm still really awful at using most of these spells well. Actually, has anyone ever found a way to use Whirlwind well?

I read a Prima guide for the PSX/Saturn versions that mentioned it several times. From the sounds of it in those two versions, AI units rush towards the Whirlwind and die - especially Peasants trying to repair buildings. On the same subject, it also mentioned a weird quirk where enemies would ignore farms, so you could use them as walls.

Still, just straight-up Death and Decaying a huge group or chokepoint is probably more effective.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I tried the farm thing back when I had this game and yeah, enemies do prioritize combat units over Farms. But they will attack Farms if they can't hit anything else. And I never was able to predict or control the behavior of Whirlwinds. Blizzards or Death & Decay were much more useful.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Heroes: Teron Gorefiend and Orgrim Doomhammer

Lore for... The Knight in Yellow

Teron Gorefiend. The aftermath of the Second War had some pretty badass names show up seemingly out of nowhere, huh? Well, Teron Gorefiend actually had some small hand to play in the First War, but as a member of Gul'dan's mysterious Shadow Council cabal. You see, Gorefiend was not always a rotting corpse parading around in day-glow yellow robes, he actually began his life as an orc shaman named Teron'gor. He was a pretty rad shaman. Rad enough to get noticed by the coolest guy in the Shadowmoon clan: Gul'dan! Wow, he got headhunted by the best!

Y'see, after Gul'dan started pulling his buuuuullshit (messing around with demonic fel energy) the elements stopped responding to the shamans of Draenor. Teron'gor, being confused as to why the one thing he was known for suddenly wasn't working, was quick to accept Gul'dan's offer to become his first apprentice. Gul'dan taught him the ways of fel magic, promising him that it was just a "like, totally cooler form of shamanism." Teron'gor not only bought into it, but joined Gul'dan for his manipulations of the Horde and worked as a member of the Shadow Council leading up to and during the First War. Well, skip ahead, skip ahead... you may remember that our Warchief buddy Orgrim Doomhammer went on a killing rampage through the Shadow Council. Now I'm sure that he had his raiders round up all the warlocks and put them to the death, but I would like to present my opinion of what actually happened.

You can't see it in this picture, but there is absolutely metal music just blaring as he does this.

So yeah... Teron'gor got straight up killed. Probably by a guy named Doomhammer beating him to death with the Doomhammer. Orcs even die like badasses. But if you also remember, Gul'dan was REAL quick to grovel before Doomhammer, promising to give him even better, more loyal soldiers. Thus the death knights were born. But waaaaaaait a minute, I never talked about how those death knights were born, did I? Well, it's not all the complicated. (Hint: It's super complicated).

My favorite part of this is all the trial and error that Gul'dan went through trying to make the death knights. At what point was he like, "What if I just kill everyone as they're helping me?"

Teron'gor, being among the members of the Shadow Council, was a powerful warlock in his own right. So when Gul'dan was trying to figure out just how he was going to make new spellcasters for Doomhammer, it seemed like a natural choice to use his friends' souls for their magical aptitude. Teron'gor was the first to become one of these such death knights. Except that “Teron'gor” doesn't strike enough fear into the hearts of humans, so he changed his name to Teron Gorefiend. Was... was Teron'gor a 15 year old when he died or something? The little edgelord.

So yup, Doomhammer was given his soldiers, Gul'dan was spared, and Teron Gorefiend was born as the very first death knight. He went on to lead the death knights from the shadows during the Second War. He was also one of Gul'dan's best pupils and closest confidantes. While at Gul'dan's side, Teron discovered the existence of powerful magical artifacts that would allow the death knight to travel to new worlds. After the death of Gul'dan, he spread this information along to Ner'zhul, essentially becoming his Wormtongue as he pushed the elder shaman into gathering up the Horde once more. This is how Teron Gorefiend insinuates himself as the real mastermind behind this whole “let's go back to Azeroth!” deal. And as you can see, he also likes to come along for the jobs and get his hands dirty.

Now, all of that is great, but speaking of Doomhammer, what the hell happened to him after the Second War? Well, the sad news is that we are not going to be seeing him in this game. I know, 8 year old me was super disappointed, too. Back during the tail end of the Second War, Sir Anduin Lothar and Warchief Doomhammer engaged in an awesome duel to the death. And... Doomhammer being who he is, killed Lothar. However, once you win a duel, the whole war doesn't just end. Turalyon, Lothar's lieutenant, picked up the general's Great Royal Sword and (filled with the righteous power of the Light) beat back the orcs and captured Orgrim Doomhammer.

So our badass leader of the Second War was unceremoniously dumped into a prison? Haha, no, no, the humans are way too stupid for that. They decided to keep Doomhammer in the royal palace in Lordaeron. Presumably with his signature Doomhammer actually close by. Why can we presume that? Because Orgrim escaped out of that bitch fast as hell with all of his poo poo. And it totally comes up later that he still has the Doomhammer and his armor. Yeah, the humans aren't really all that bright when it comes to keeping the leader of the orcish Horde under lock and key. Now, by this point, the Second War has ended and most of the remaining orcs on Azeroth have been rounded up and put into internment camps (run by our good buddy Danath, if you recall). So Doomhammer is all jazzed to bust his kin out and start the war again! ...except that the orcs aren't. They're sort of lethargic and weak and not wanting to go on a killing rampage. Weird.

In reality, being cut off from the fel influence of the warlocks was actually putting the orcs through withdrawal. So the longer the orcs spent away from the warlocks, the more lazy and less war-like they became. Almost... rational. Of course, that's some ol' bullshit that Doomhammer wasn't about, so he got out of there post haste. Where did he go from there? Well, that's the question isn't it? We don't hear from Orgrim Doomhammer for a VERY long time as he spends the next several years wandering the desolate and hidden places of Lordaeron. Yup, the previous Warchief, supreme badass, just became a hermit that no one ever saw again. And the whole time, he still had his signature plate mail and Doomhammer.

(Huuuuuuge stretch of time that goes undocumented here, Blizzard. I'm just saying, gimmie a call, we'll make something happen. Who wouldn't want to read about the adventures of post-WC2 Doomhammer?)

Also he grew out his hair, I guess?

So there it is. Gorefiend got us into this whole "Beyond the Dark Portal" mess, while Doomhammer is out being orcish Bear Grylls. One thing that is never determined (and I would like this explained, because I'm starting to get suspicious that someone at Blizzard has been reading these Lore posts JUST to go and retcon the inconsistencies that I've found) is why Teron Gorefiend wears a BRIGHT, YELLOW CLOAK. I mean, it's actually pretty emblematic of him at this point. If we're going to detail every little detail in the Warcraft universe, why not tell me where Teron got that thing, huh?

Azzur fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 5, 2018

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
You'd think the armor and the one-of-a-kind amazing knifehammer would make it a bit hard for him to sneak about.

Also, on an unrelated topic, warcraft 3 just got an extensive update! Why? No one knows!

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

NewMars posted:

You'd think the armor and the one-of-a-kind amazing knifehammer would make it a bit hard for him to sneak about.

Also, on an unrelated topic, warcraft 3 just got an extensive update! Why? No one knows!

I've heard people talking rumors of Blizzard gearing up for a Warcraft 4 or a rerelease of Warcraft 3, and the huge update was a way to gauge interest still. It seems like a bit of a stretch to me, but I'd love it. I'll go one step further:

Blizzard, if you're going to do a rerelease with a new engine and updating everything based on where the current story and lore are in WoW, why not go all the way and get Warcraft: O&H and Warcraft 2? I think it'd be awesome to get these games situated after they've languished so long in the 90s.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Doomhammer is indeed a badass whose biography I would enjoy perusing. :D

And yeah, I wonder about Gorefiend's yellow cloak too, especially since he always has that color cloak no matter what clan he's siding with in the level. I verified that with fan created levels as well as the levels where you are Shadowmoon for the expansion. It's his distinctive feature, I guess.

Thanks for all that Lore about Gorefiend, btw. I didn't know it.

Can hardly wait to see how you handle Deathwing. :D

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Azzur posted:

I've heard people talking rumors of Blizzard gearing up for a Warcraft 4 or a rerelease of Warcraft 3, and the huge update was a way to gauge interest still. It seems like a bit of a stretch to me, but I'd love it. I'll go one step further:

Blizzard, if you're going to do a rerelease with a new engine and updating everything based on where the current story and lore are in WoW, why not go all the way and get Warcraft: O&H and Warcraft 2? I think it'd be awesome to get these games situated after they've languished so long in the 90s.

Apparently a dev said they're planning a HD remake of the Warcraft series, ala the recent Starcraft HD. Or at least were, since apparently they decided there was no salvaging WC1's gameplay.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I hope if they do they remove the unit selection limits. I don't recall if they had them in 3 but they're why warcraft 2 and starcraft are unplayable for me.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
War3 just got a balance patch which raised the player slots to 24 per map. A remaster like StarCraft is maybe a bit unlikely considering that.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

McTimmy posted:

War3 just got a balance patch which raised the player slots to 24 per map. A remaster like StarCraft is maybe a bit unlikely considering that.

:aaaaa: This makes so many RPG and multiplayer maps better and opens up significantly more possibilities.. The problem is a multitude of map makers and players have already moved on to starcraft 2 or other games.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

SugarAddict posted:

:aaaaa: This makes so many RPG and multiplayer maps better and opens up significantly more possibilities.. The problem is a multitude of map makers and players have already moved on to starcraft 2 or other games.

I think the hope is to draw them back. Now the question is: "Why?" and more importantly, "Why now?" It does seem really weird more than 15 years after the game was launched and the pro scene is incredibly small.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Y'know with that explanation of Death Knight creation I have to wonder where they kept getting necrolytes willing to participate in the ritual and by extension be ritually killed and have their soul sealed away in a dark crystal. You'd think that the fact that Bob, Tim and Jerry all didn't come back from their job would start raising eyebrows among prospective employees as it were.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Dr. Snark posted:

Y'know with that explanation of Death Knight creation I have to wonder where they kept getting necrolytes willing to participate in the ritual and by extension be ritually killed and have their soul sealed away in a dark crystal. You'd think that the fact that Bob, Tim and Jerry all didn't come back from their job would start raising eyebrows among prospective employees as it were.

I think they did it all at once to avoid that situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, it’s mentioned off-hand in one of the recent Chronicle books that all of the Necrolytes wound up sacrificed for the rituals to make Death Knights.