Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Azzur posted:

I'm sure that's exactly what they had planned for a sequel!

Oh. Oh... Oh. They're really stupid, aren't they?

as someone who only played the games and a little bit of WoW, what the gently caress is this bullshit? I don't recognize most of that crap and from what I recall has gently caress all to do with the Second War, Thrall's upbringing OR the events of Warcraft 3. If we are doing Thrall's story then they can just take the story from Lord of the Clans and just...gently caress maybe the only things they need to change is the stuff with Deathwing. When I saw the movie with someone who had no relationship to Warcraft I spent a few minutes after the movie explaining some stuff and then stopped myself before going on a tirade on how disappointing the movie turned out to be.

Warcraft: Orcs and Humans was not a complicated game or story, poo poo the lore in the manual was more than enough to extrapolate and turn into a nice, action packed 1.5 - 2 hour movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Aces High posted:

as someone who only played the games and a little bit of WoW, what the gently caress is this bullshit? I don't recognize most of that crap and from what I recall has gently caress all to do with the Second War, Thrall's upbringing OR the events of Warcraft 3. If we are doing Thrall's story then they can just take the story from Lord of the Clans and just...gently caress maybe the only things they need to change is the stuff with Deathwing. When I saw the movie with someone who had no relationship to Warcraft I spent a few minutes after the movie explaining some stuff and then stopped myself before going on a tirade on how disappointing the movie turned out to be.

Warcraft: Orcs and Humans was not a complicated game or story, poo poo the lore in the manual was more than enough to extrapolate and turn into a nice, action packed 1.5 - 2 hour movie.

I mean it literally said that the main focus of the orc side of the movie was Thrall's imprisonment. It just used his "orc name" that they came up with in WoW, Go'el.

edit: that's not to say it isn't dumb, because it looks very dumb

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Episode 23: The Bitter Taste of Victory or Final Victory

Mission Briefing

: Uhhh, Gare-bear? We got problems!

: ...?

: ...drat.

: They're breachin' th' fortress!

: Fine time fer th' higher ups ta be dealin' with Necksmasher!

Elsewhere...

: HOW did you manage to navigate us into a pit? Weren't you raised on this hell world?

: It's not my fault! My navigator got his soul ripped out and made all evil or something.

: You use that excuse for everything!

: That's the seventeenth time it has been used, in fact.

: I didn't realize you trusted Vilefeast with so much, Chieftain.

: ...Dentarg's jowls! Neither did I.

Back at Hellfire Citadel...

: Feh! We go out in a blaze of glory! Alright, men! Char-

: No.

: Huh?

: Have the men fall back to our interior line. We can't hope to beat a horde of orcs in the open field.

: Civilians are to move ahead of the men, to ensure that our fortifications will stand throughout the day.

: Uh, Gare-bear? I didn't know ye were-

: I need you on the walls, as well.

: Leave the food stores. A bag of grain is not worth losing a life over.

: Get those men back into the inner keep. We don't need heroes, we need survivors.

: Uh, aye, aye, Cap'n?

: Th' keep itself is going to-

: Fall. Yes, I know. What is the value of stone weighed against a human life?

: Ahh, drat brain teasers! I know this one!

: I've got it! They both weigh th' same! Because they're both a pound. Y'said a pound, right?

: You've been a good friend, Ruku. Now get on the walls.

That's a hell of a way to open a mission. Your fairly well stocked fort is completely overrun with orcs the second the game starts. In less than a minute, everything you control will be gone if you try and fight the orcs out in the open. Thankfully, there's this little chokepoint here that you can use.

Just pull back your men and brace for the tide of green flesh.

: Aw, hell. Gary, we're in trouble now.

: ...Ruku.

: Yeah, Gare-bear?

: ...You are my friend.

: Is tha' th' last o' em?

: ...For now.

Elsewhere...

: Wow, we are really trapped in here.

: (Does da elf have any solutions wit' her demon magic?)

: (You'll find that you, mon, are allied with the mons with the demon magic, mon.)

: Everyone relax. Jeez, I have a solution.

Hey, it's another "We Have To Make Demo Squads Useful" section!

: Necksmasher, those are my men!

: I don't see your name on them. As a matter of fact, you will find that I have already tattooed my name onto them.

: But why-

BOOM!

: Because what are you gonna do about it?

: What is that supposed to mean?!

: We're close to the Great Portal-

: Dark Portal. Sounds cooler.

: -so let's ride! This ends today!

: Woo, yay. It definitely ends today. The orcish menace is stopped forever. Totally a real thing that is going to happen.

: Quiet, you. Just because we're going to let you go free onto Azeroth doesn't mean you won't just be brought to your knees when you inevitably try and start another conflict.

: Hey, I wasn't the guy who said, "This ends today!" like an idiot. He knows that Grom is still over there, right? Right, Bloodgut?

: I don't believe that Archmage Khadgar is aware of that, no.

: Oh, well that would explain it. Shouty is a pain in the rear end, but man does he hold a grudge.

: My apologies, but I no longer know what we are talking about.

: Just kill the orcs, brighteyes.

: But-

: The other orcs, obviously! Sheesh.

: By the Light! We're too late! The orcs have already been through here.

: Don't give up hope, my love.

: Woah, what. My love?

: Shh! Marian, don't you ruin this like you ruin everything.

: First off, harsh. Secondly, hundreds of our soldiers are dead. Show some respect.

: You're right, I should never have-

: To me. Show some respect to me.

: Ugh.

: There.

And here it is. The final hurdle of the Human campaign: destroying the Dark Portal. As you can probably imagine, this is without a doubt the most difficult missio- AHAHAHAHAHA! Just kidding. Sadly, after a brutal campaign of punishment, the final mission is a cakewalk. I fully believe that the devs thought this mission was going to be soooooo difficult, but then forgot to test it? All you have to do is destroy the Dark Portal. The twist? Only Khadgar can damage it. Oh, no. The difficulty. Please stop.

: The portal. drat.

: Great. So me and my subordinates will just be heading through there.

: My subordinates and I.

: Look, you don't get to be a chieftain by listening to rules like human grammar, okay. I always come first.

: We can't head through yet, Necksmasher. We still have to reconvene with our troops.

: You mean Gary and the dwarf? Yeah, honestly, I'm willing to give them up for dead.

: Gaz! How could you hope for Gary to be dead?

: 'Oy! 'Ey! Ye lot are late!

: Our apologies, Sir Firefist! We were stuck in a pit!

: Shut yer yap hole, orc! I'm talkin' ta my commandin' officer!

: I'm flattered you care, dwarf, but I'm never late. The rest of reality is just out of step.

: Th' keep o'er here is fine. Th' stories didn't lie about ye, rear end Beat'r.

: Eh, you've killed one orc, you've killed a thousand of 'em.

: ...

: Oh! An' Gary helped!

: There is no time to waste. The portal must be destroyed!

: Did he say... destroyed?

: I'm assuming he means from the other side.

: Quick query; how are we supposed to get to the other side?

: Light drat it!

: Do not falter, Captain Wells, we make this sacrifice for the good of Azeroth.

: Yeah, okay, this definitely sounds bad. Sacrifice?

: Oh, for the love of Garona, are you idiots going to close the portal from this side?

: Nonsense, I'm sure that-

: Hold them at bay! We need to buy time for Khadgar to close the portal from this side!

: Oh-

: SHITFUCK!

: ...drat it.

Elsewhere...

: Uh, Gare-bear... don'tcha think tha' we got enough infrastructure fer now?

: Especially when there's a dragon th' size o' th' forge o' Anvilmar settin' everything on fire!

: Spare the orcs no quarter! Archers! Fire!

I'll be honest, you really don't need to expand on this last mission. It ends up being way more hassle than it's worth. I gave it a good shot, though.

: Get those men to the portal! I'm calling for an emergency cessation of municipal construction!

: Well, you heard the man!

: Come on, King Gary. We're needed.

: ...Gr.

: That's it. A nice perimeter of guard towers while Khadgar performs the ritual.

: You know, I do greatly appreciate the way that the humans treat their peons.

: Hey, wake up, dummy. The humans are planning a suicide mission to trap us all on this stinking - exploding! - planet.

: Chief, what's da plan here?

: That's an easy one.

: 'Oi! Where're you lot off ta?

: These orcs just don't stop coming!

: Yeah, gee, it's almost like they don't want to be trapped on an exploding rock for the rest of their short lives. What a thought.

: We're doing this to save the rest of Azeroth, Alleria.

: I know, it's just...

: drat it all! To the east!

: Leave it. We went into this knowing what we would be up against. We must ensure that Khadgar is safe.

And this is the strategy to getting through the final human mission. Towers. Just... tower up. Defend Khadgar as he plinks away at the Dark Portal and keep the towers going up.

: I'm actually impressed. I don't think I've ever seen Gary's men move this quickly.

: Perhaps we should have been threatening the lower classes with death more often. It seems like a healthy motivator.

: Uh, guys? Maybe we could focus on the orcs trying to kill us all?

: Aye! Me an' the Cap'n are doin' all the grunt work here!

: You guys look like you have it under control.

: Yeah, that all looks fine.

: How's the progress with the ritual coming along?

: It is doing incredibly poorl-

: Just fine, Varin! Keep doing your sword stuff.

: Marian Ravigaz, have you seen Chieftain Nigel Necksmasher?

: Last I saw him, he was saying something in Orcish with his two friends.

: I remember the little one apologizing as he brushed by me not long ago.

: I feel like we should be more concerned about this.

: In fairness, I'm slightly preoccupied ruminating on my own mortality at the moment. Only a scant 200 odd years...

: General Turalyon! Our base is under attack!

: Withdraw the men to the front lines! This is our last stand!

: This is really it, then. We're gonna die here, huh?

: ...It seems that way.

: Hell, always knew I'd die on a massive explodin' rock. Jus' didn't know I'd be sober fer it.

: At least Necksmasher dies with us. His reign of chaos ends here.

: Huh? Uhh... Cap'n?

: I saw him an' his men slip through th' portal when everyone was dealin' with Gary's fort.

: He...

: WHAT?!

: Oh, what fresh hell is this?

: GET IN THE PORTAL, GAZ! HE'S GETTING AWAY!

: But, Captain Varin Wells, we have orders-!

: drat the orders! There's no way I'm dying on this rock while Necksmasher is out there on Azeroth!

: Plenty of orcs have slipped past us, Captain. How can you be so certain that-

: I saw it with me own two eyes!

: I mean, that really just calls it further into question.

: How many fingers am I holding up, dwarf? Just how many drinks did you have today?

: None, and I'm pissed about it!

: This is a direct order. Gaz, Ruku, Kala. Get in that portal!

: Cap'n! We'll ne'er make it in time!

: Well at least I can put my studies to some use.

: <- Click for the cinematic ending!

: It... is finished.

: ...Huh.

: Hahahaha! Victory, you stupid bastards!

: ...Chieftain, where are we going?

Beyond the Dark Portal's "epilogue" (Which is hilariously mostly non-canon now.)

Azzur fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 16, 2019

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.
And, as always... our off-site for people who are struggling. Enjoy the short update finale! Stick around for the final bit of epilogue still to come. (I hope you won't be waiting long, but... it's a big one. For me, at least.)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Awesome ending. And yeah, finishing off all enemies in the final battle is unnecessary although it can be fun to try. It’s also easier if you can at least get the white Orcs (closest to the portal) gone.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Khadgar says he is the one to destroy the portal, but I think it's pretty obvious a certain dwarf under orders from a certain king blew up the portal to finally create the perfect communist eutopia on Draenor

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Well. That was great! It's a shame that gary got left behind, but frankly... I can't say I feel like we've seen the last of him.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I wouldn't really call that epilogue non-canon. Draenor did explode; it's just that there are still pieces left afterward. The Sons of Lothar did take refuge through the rifts, but Khadgar, Danath and Kurdran returned to the shattered world once it was safe(?) to do so, and established themselves.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Noooooooooooooooo, Gary!

It is only fitting that the true protagonist of this tale, the greatest hero, be one of the ones to make the ultimate sacrifice of getting stuck on Draenor.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

BlazetheInferno posted:

I wouldn't really call that epilogue non-canon. Draenor did explode; it's just that there are still pieces left afterward. The Sons of Lothar did take refuge through the rifts, but Khadgar, Danath and Kurdran returned to the shattered world once it was safe(?) to do so, and established themselves.

Alright, fair! You got me there. I’ve adjusted the post to reflect that.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
To be fair, almost every other Warcraft Lore situation can be described as "hilariously non-canon" to some degree.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m reminded of how a fairly significant detail from the books that were supposed to be the definitive source of lore was contradicted in the very next WoW expansion.

In the book, when Sargeras slaughtered the rest of the Titans, one of them used his power to spirit away a slither of each of their souls to Azeroth before they were totally destroyed, where they wound up getting shunted into the bodies of the guys they had left on eternal guard duty. In the Legion expansion, it was revealed that Sargeras had actually captured the souls of all but one of them after he destroyed their bodies, and had been torturing them for thousands of years.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Regalingualius posted:

I’m reminded of how a fairly significant detail from the books that were supposed to be the definitive source of lore was contradicted in the very next WoW expansion.

In the book, when Sargeras slaughtered the rest of the Titans, one of them used his power to spirit away a slither of each of their souls to Azeroth before they were totally destroyed, where they wound up getting shunted into the bodies of the guys they had left on eternal guard duty. In the Legion expansion, it was revealed that Sargeras had actually captured the souls of all but one of them after he destroyed their bodies, and had been torturing them for thousands of years.

Someone actually asked them how he got his hands on those. Their response:

"Remember how there were Legion forces invading Ulduar (where those Titan watchers were) during the pre-Legion events?"

So it wasn't thousands of years he'd been torturing them. To their credit, they came up with an explanation that managed to NOT contradict the Compendium.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I guess this last mission is not that impressive, but if this were any of the later Blizzard RTSs this mission would be a tower defense one, or one of those where you wait out the clock, which is a plus, IMO.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 17, 2019

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

well Azzur kind of makes it look like that, or at least the beginning and ending :v:

also when they mean that only Khadgar can damage the portal, that includes his spells?

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Aces High posted:

also when they mean that only Khadgar can damage the portal, that includes his spells?

So I actually didn't know the answer to this as well! I threw a few of Khadgar's Blizzard spells at it, but I didn't notice any change in the Dark Portal's hp, so I mostly kept Khadgar auto-attacking while I dealt with towers. Of course, the Dark Portal has a TON of hp, so I might not have noticed the very small dent that I put into it with his spells.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I think his spells work, yes. I remember using Blizzard on it when I was younger because it didn't occur to me to autoattack it when I was a kid.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
It took me this long to realize that nigel has a nose ring.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME APOLOGIST HAS LOGGED ON

NewMars posted:

He does?

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

NewMars posted:

Are you saying the black parts aren't his nostrils ?

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

NewMars posted:

Whoops, sorry! No nose ring, just subpar drawings from yours truly!

Speaking of which, I have returned from the dead. Summer is here, and I finally have some time off to finish up the LP once and for all. Sorry to keep you all waiting! Stay tuned, final update hopefully coming this weekend!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Azzur posted:

Speaking of which, I have returned from the dead. Summer is here, and I finally have some time off to finish up the LP once and for all. Sorry to keep you all waiting! Stay tuned, final update hopefully coming this weekend!

Yes, I realize this now, it's just how the depression under their nose is drawn. Whoops.

Anyway, looking forward to the finale!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Azzur posted:

Man, what wonderful part of the world are you in where summer is a return from the dead and not being buried in a grave of your own sweat?

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

PurpleXVI posted:

Man, what wonderful part of the world are you in where summer is a return from the dead and not being buried in a grave of your own sweat?

HA. HA. HA.

I'm really good friends with a marathon runner and he's been waking me up early for the past few weeks to run 10ks in the lovely humid weather of the island country of Japan. I'm alive now because everyone has gone off to Tokyo on vacation, leaving me alone with my sketchbook.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Azzur posted:

Stay tuned, final update hopefully coming this weekend!
Tempting fate, Exhibit A.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I was wondering why I didn't remember seeing the finale of this LP.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
It's so sad that marathon training finished off Azzur 5 months ago, RIP.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

stryth posted:

It's so sad that marathon training finished off Azzur 5 months ago, RIP.

Around the World in 800 Days.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

update so big it's taken 6 months to post

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

update so big it's taken 6 months to post

My guess is he's gonna fade us straight into Warcraft 3.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Waiting for the remaster

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Lest we forget he stopped the LP before to literally run off and join the circus

He'll be back in time

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Rody One Half posted:

Lest we forget he stopped the LP before to literally run off and join the circus

He'll be back in time

Well, this time he's probably gone off to become an olympic marathon runner. He'll probably come back with his legs broke and then leave again once he gets a miraculous full cyborg set of robo legs.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
We can rebuild him. Slower, fatter, goonier. We have the technology

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
If azzur was going to rely on a custom campaign for war3, looks like Warcraft reforged screwed that up!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ego Trip posted:

Waiting for the remaster

This post has aged well.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Azzur posted:

HA. HA. HA.

I'm really good friends with a marathon runner and he's been waking me up early for the past few weeks to run 10ks in the lovely humid weather of the island country of Japan. I'm alive now because everyone has gone off to Tokyo on vacation, leaving me alone with my sketchbook.

ran a marathon into the sunset

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I have faith that Azzur's just preparing something that awesome.

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?
It's because War3 Reforged, he's making Nigel and Wells models as well as a whole slew of other characters for the next LP. Since he's working alone in his free time he's just falling a little behind. That's all. Only explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Azzur has returned before and will return again