Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not a bad start, don't remember if they were in the game or not but I did like the little P4 references they threw in (they referenced Naoto early on and there was a poster of Rise later in the same scene). I've enjoyed all the other Persona anime they've put out (though Trinity Soul and Golden a bit less than the others) so I'll definitely be following this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zerilan posted:

How good were the P3 and P4 animations at covering the games' stories? Persona has been a series that interests me in the writing and setting and poo poo, but p3 was just way too grindy for me.

They're obviously abridged from the game versions but they still work well enough and manage to get the point across. In fact, if you're interested in the story but don't have the patience to put up with the game itself watching the anime is probably the best way to go.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There's also Persona Trinity Soul, an original story that serves as kind of a pseudo (though I believe also non-canon) sequel to Persona 3. It's ok (at best) but not particularly worth tracking down unless you're really curious.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 8, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Does anyone know if there are plans to dub this? I'm okay with subs, although I'm so accustomed to the dub that several voices just feel off, but a friend really would prefer to watch it dubbed, partly because of the same reasons, partly because he's a dub watcher in general. Were the previous anime dubbed?

The first Persona 4 anime got dubbed at the very least, not sure about the rest.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Still feels kind of rushed but overall pretty decent. Out of curiosity, what's the deal with entries in the Persona series having theme songs that are entirely in English? The only exceptions I can think of are Trinity Soul and the Golden Animation. Not complaining as most of them are pretty good but it just seems weird considering how inherently Japanese everything else about the series feels.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Isn't this show only going to be about 24 episodes or so (which isn't much shorter than P4A to be honest)? That could explain why they're rushing through certain things.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mordja posted:

Well, there's an animation error I don't think I've seen before.

Not sure if I noticed, what was the error?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It's starting to pick up at least now that the full team (I think, haven't actually played the game myself) is assembled. How many episodes is this supposed to be in total again?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just 7 episodes left now it would seem. As I said I am basically experiencing Persona 5 for the first time via the anime but exactly how heavily are they going to need to abridge the rest of the game in order to make it all fit?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That doesn't bode well seeing as (unless I'm mistaken) this show is only going to be 24 episodes long. Maybe they'll somehow be able to pull it off but I kind of doubt it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wyvernil posted:

I'm not sure if they've actually confirmed how many episodes the show is. Going off the pacing, I have a feeling of where they're going with this.

Maybe they'll end the 24th episode, the point where the series would typically end, with the end of the sixth palace and the protagonist getting captured. Then the final scene will be the protagonist getting shot by the traitor to troll people into thinking they're going to be ending on the bad ending. It's only after this that they announce the last few episodes revealing that the protagonist survived and covering the seventh palace. Not sure if they'll do the Yaldabaoth arc too, or if they're saving that for an OVA like with the Persona 4 anime.

Every wiki and article I've checked regarding it says 24 episodes so I'm pretty sure that has been confirmed at this point. It's possible they could wind up extending it though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I'm still curious how they're going to possibly wrap this series up in just 4 more episodes (assuming the whole thing about it just being 24 episodes long in total is true that is).Though then again, they just introduced the last team member and assuming Haru's debut wraps up next episode that still leaves 3 left to deal with the finale. It's also possible that they wind up doing what Persona 4 did and include a bonus episode with the DVD release.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I would love to be wrong about this but everything I've read about this series seems to back up the 24 episode claim. I suppose they could possibly go straight from Haru's debut to the endgame but yeah, as was mentioned unless they're planning a movie or an OVA to go along with this the finale is going to feel extremely rushed regardless of how they handle it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

At the end of today's episode the counter ticked over to 25 so I guess we've got more episodes on the way after all.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/P5_anime/status/1045840584458395649

They're advertising the next episode as the last one. I swear if the true ending is an OVA

That's weird as 25 aired last week and the counter at the end shows it at least going up to 29 episodes (plus we're only just about to wrap back around to the present time so it seems weird to just stop now).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, guess that was the last episode after all. Glad to hear they're coming back and giving it a proper ending later though.

Also, I've never played it but was the reveal of Goro turning out to be the traitor better handled/foreshadowed in the game? It seemed like it just came out of nowhere to me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

there was never any chance of them reaching the true ending in that show

It is apparently being released as a special later this year though. But yeah, this was ok in parts but I think that the anime versions of Persona 3 and 4 (both the original and Golden) did a much better job of adapting their respective games overall (this was still better than Trinity Soul though).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 29, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

He accidentally reveals something major very soon after his first appearance that's easy to overlook because a) it has to do with a difference in what information the PTs/audience have and what someone else has, which your mind will probably slide right by because what he says parses fine with the audience's knowledge and b) it's tied into/played off as a joke at the time.

I forget, what does he say? Also, was he the guy in the black mask as well or was that somebody we haven't met yet?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 30, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The anime ends before the game does but it was decent enough overall. Speaking of which, has there been any further news on the upcoming OVA that's supposed to finish the rest of the story yet?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dark Sun, the first Persona 5 OVA that picks up from where the anime left off, has apparently been out since December 31st. The next one is due out in March last I checked.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 5, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, maybe this should have been a movie series from the start like the Persona 3 adaption was. It seems to work a lot better in a slightly longer format.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dehry posted:

Persona 5 Stars and Ours airs on the 23rd in Japan. I'm pretty sure it's at midnight there so should be the afternoon of the 23rd for North America and Europe.

People are probably more interested in the Persona 5 R game announcement at the end of the episode.

So out of curiosity, why did they decide to split the last section of the game into two OVAs rather than just giving us a slightly longer series?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s out now. I haven’t been watched it yet but does this most recent OVA indeed takes us through the end of the game or is there more coming?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I haven't played the game either (or any Persona/SMT game to be honest, I'm mostly just familiar with them via let's plays and anime adaptions), that's why I asked.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Finally got around to watching this, not terrible overall but I think that Persona 4 got the better adaption. Out of curiosity, did the fake Igor have a different actor in the english version as well (I know his original Japanese one died a little while back at any rate)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Radish posted:

Yeah he started out with a different actor. The fact that the other guy died actually played into people thinking they just found a sub par replacement which offset the twist.

Yeah, I knew about the twist going in and figured that might have had something to do with it. I was just curious if they bothered to change the voice up in the English version as well (though I must say, Igor's actual new Japanese VA sounds almost identical to the previous one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dehry posted:

A Magical Valentine's Day was already fansubbed if you want to find it.

Wait, they made a new OVA? I assumed this series was finished now, what’s the new one about and is it any good?