Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I think one of the newspapers talked about a meteor strike in New Mexico or something, and of course there was the New York Post "IT'S SOUND!" headline, and other newspaper headlines ("angels of death") suggest that it's, at the very least, a national emergency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

i assumed it was a localized event by the trailers (like tremors) because those things would've been wiped out quickly by any military.

It's established that their armor is invulnerable to any military weapons.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is it? The only thing I remember seeing regarding this is Jim's whiteboard, and there are many reasons to doubt how good he is at figuring poo poo out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Like...a shotgun?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Like...a shotgun?

The shotgun worked because they let their armor down when they hear high frequency noise. They exposed the soft parts.

Arrhythmia posted:

Is it? The only thing I remember seeing regarding this is Jim's whiteboard, and there are many reasons to doubt how good he is at figuring poo poo out.

I think he got it from the news but I could be wrong.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

we have sonic weapons.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The prequel should just be a sequence of loud events being interrupted by aliens on the first day of the invasion.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Groovelord Neato posted:

we have sonic weapons.

Police departments have sonic weapons.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I can see it now: they roll the LRAD truck out and try desperately to start it as quietly as possible, but are rendered to bony hairy pulp before they can even turn it on.

edit: they should make a prequel set in Guantanamo Bay

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 6, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

we have sonic weapons.

If everyone gets merked before they can even pull them out or figure out their weakness then it doesn't matter

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The shotgun worked because they let their armor down when they hear high frequency noise. They exposed the soft parts.

I think he got it from the news but I could be wrong.

Yea it was on one of the newspaper covers.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Astro7x posted:

I think the monsters would destroy any stationary speaker making noise like the lab equipment

they're paralyzed by that frequency though, it renders them basically helpless and exposes their juicy bits to gun fire

If everyone gets merked before they can even pull them out or figure out their weakness then it doesn't matter

people were able to operate printing presses and distribute newspapers for quite a while though, so there was still a pretty good sized window of time to get some poo poo together.

you'd think there would be a military think-tank convened to try to figure out how these monsters work. like, it wouldn't be all that complex of a science experiment to try and see exactly what frequencies they responded to, and if you're doing that you'd probably stumble upon the frequency they're completely vulnerable to, and they were pretty easy to distract; a few fireworks going off sent them running across an entire farm, it's not like it was impossible to manipulate them.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The premise does seem to hinge on the notion that human beings en masse aren't absurdly good at killing things.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
None of the things that could’ve prevented the movie from happening happened. An existing place

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!
An ordinary city would probably overwhelm them and drive them away with sheer noise, and even being nearby would cause health problems due to constant stress.

To enjoy the movie, I'd think of it as very accurately reflecting a naive, rural perspective.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah you're forced to conceive of the premise as an emotional landscape rather than an "actual" one.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The creatures look as they do because dad spends half the day staring at an illustration of a dissected human head.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

An ordinary city would probably overwhelm them and drive them away with sheer noise, and even being nearby would cause health problems due to constant stress.

loving NYC real estate prices keep going up, even during the apocalypse

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I love how most fan theories to deal with the monsters involve making noise. More specifically, any time someone says to build something.

I remember seeing a lot of comments of "Why don't they just live down by the waterfall" neglecting the fact that they'd need to build some structure to live in, which involves hammering and transporting materials. You can't just go to Home Depot and load up a van with lumber.

They were soundproofing a room by pasting paper to the walls.

Even the stuff about using sound to weaken and kill them. A single shotgun blast was enough to attract a ton of them. Yeah, you could come up with some sort of trap take them out, but a poo poo ton of people are going to die in the process.

It's kind of like zombies, you think the solution is to just gun them all down or something, but there are so many of them that it makes it impossible.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well it should be mentioned that loud sounds in and of themselves don't seem to bother the monsters whatsoever, their vulnerability is specifically that feedback loop at a very specific frequency. I can sort of understand researchers thinking "Well conventional sonic weapons aren't working against them, we might need to think of a different approach here" and just not ever getting to discover the frequency that Lee did.

The thing that I have to actively suspend all disbelief for is the idea that no existing human weapons were able to take down a bunch of these creatures in the first place. The thing about guns is that they are generally really really, really good at doing their one single job of killing things, and we'd been developing armor-piercing bullets since the 1800s. Even if we accept that these things are tough enough to shrug off literally any bullets ever made, we should also just assume that they're fireproof? They can't be shocked? They're immune to chemical weapons too? How far down the list does this go 'cuz like, are they also strong against Ghost types?

:goonsay:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They're from another planet. Their armor could be unlike anything found on Earth.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the movie's good but they did gently caress up not making it a localized event.

and no they're just animals. we'd stomp their poo poo in.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
It's a great feat of visual storytelling since without dialogue every scene has to be load bearing. The performances and tension are spot on, and the themes explored by having a deaf person in a world where sound kills is interesting and empowering. Haranguing details about the plot is the most boring kind of criticism god drat like why didn't Thanos just make everybody have infinite resources with the infinity glove

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Could these aliens defeat the Avengers

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Haranguing details about the plot is the most boring kind of criticism god drat like why didn't Thanos just make everybody have infinite resources with the infinity glove

not the same.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

No.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

BrianWilly posted:

They must have done

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

It's a great feat of visual storytelling since without dialogue every scene has to be load bearing. The performances and tension are spot on, and the themes explored by having a deaf person in a world where sound kills is interesting and empowering. Haranguing details about the plot is the most boring kind of criticism god drat like why didn't Thanos just make everybody have infinite resources with the infinity glove

it's possible to enjoy a movie and still want to talk stuff like "actually I think the aliens would have had a tougher time causing the apocalypse than the did in this movie"

in fact it makes high-concept sci-fi movies more enjoyable, to me at least.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

yeah the Thanos thing is an actual hole because it makes his motivation basically nonsensical. with A Quiet Place, it's just minor quibbles that don't actually matter all that much.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah the Thanos thing is an actual hole because it makes his motivation basically nonsensical.

Originally it was a quest to get all up in the personification of Death but they didn't seem to thing that through when they made this version of him

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
well they don't call him "The Reasonable Titan" now do they

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

well they don't call him "The Reasonable Titan" now do they

they tend to call him "The Mad Titan," not "The Uncreative Dumbass Titan"

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
I don't really have trouble imagining that the monsters as shown were enough to cause an apocalypse scenario if they are coming from random meteor strikes. Sure, the military probably could find a way to kill them, but if the aliens are just hitting and running like a swarm of giant locusts, they're going to kill a lot of people before any military entity can exterminate them all. Like if there were multiple meteor strikes dropping these things on people, the world economy would implode well before the people with guns could clean them all up, and as already said it would take a while before the exact frequency to make them vulnerable was discovered.

Loved the movie, the only gripe I really had was how Jim determined there were three of them in that area. The kid got killed seconds after the toy went off, so it seems like the world was more saturated with them.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Angrymantium posted:

I don't really have trouble imagining that the monsters as shown were enough to cause an apocalypse scenario if they are coming from random meteor strikes. Sure, the military probably could find a way to kill them, but if the aliens are just hitting and running like a swarm of giant locusts, they're going to kill a lot of people before any military entity can exterminate them all. Like if there were multiple meteor strikes dropping these things on people, the world economy would implode well before the people with guns could clean them all up, and as already said it would take a while before the exact frequency to make them vulnerable was discovered.

Loved the movie, the only gripe I really had was how Jim determined there were three of them in that area. The kid got killed seconds after the toy went off, so it seems like the world was more saturated with them.

You make some good points, but there's still the issue that the film establishes that after the start of the apocalypse, humanity had enough time to determine that sound was a huge factor in how these monsters act, operate a printing press, and then distribute this information unimpeded on what is presumably a mass scale.

This series of events doesn't exactly line up with how decimated humanity appears to be in this film, and how incredibly good humanity is at killing things in reality. Again, this film would be more easily digested as a more localized apocalyptic scenario on a shorter timeline.

These are admittedly somewhat minor gripes compared to the overall message of the film, and doesn't much affect its enjoyability, but are still noticeable.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I.wonder if there were only a handful.at first, but then the queen got a secret foothold and the eggs started hatching....

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Also, bunkers and concrete muffles a ton of sound. Core of military and thinktanks would be ome of the last targets, unless thats where the meteor strikes were aimed.

Didn't matter to the movie, but that's the fun stuff to think about after the fact.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

GORDON posted:

I.wonder if there were only a handful.at first, but then the queen got a secret foothold and the eggs started hatching....

I hope we get A Quiet Places, with Emily Blunt blowing up heads left and right before we meeting the queen etc. etc. :allears:

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Arrhythmia posted:

I hope we get A Quiet Places, with Emily Blunt blowing up heads left and right before we meeting the queen etc. etc. :allears:

It's called Edge of Tomorrow

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Unoriginal Name posted:

It's called Edge of Tomorrow

That would have been a better tie in than anything Cloverfield has managed to do

Angrymantium posted:

yea but those aliens were really weak to the sound thing. If a single person in the whole world had figured out what frequency it was, they could have just walked around and shot the aliens in the juicy bits while they were stunned. i mean we are talking something that makes them more vulnerable than the virus in Independence Day did. Those beasts were seriously hosed up, they couldn't function at all once that frequency was playing from the tiniest little speaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tumble posted:

yea but those aliens were really weak to the sound thing. If a single person in the whole world had figured out what frequency it was, they could have just walked around and shot the aliens in the juicy bits while they were stunned. i mean we are talking something that makes them more vulnerable than the virus in Independence Day did. Those beasts were seriously hosed up, they couldn't function at all once that frequency was playing from the tiniest little speaker.

Maybe people are walking around shooting all the aliens, how fast do you figure they would have walked over to this very specific house and solved their problem for them? Maybe if they waited 8 years or something whatever off screen government containment plan would eventually fix their problem.