Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
This is a really solid 90-minute thrill ride. I loved the textured feel, the use of the silence concept was inspired and fun, and it's always a good time watching a movie that takes joy in its own inventiveness. There are definitely some clumsy and kind of adorably innocent elements (IT'S SOUND!) but Krasinski also gets in some nice little jabs of trauma (I was a big fan of the gutted old lady scene and the nail scene was a riot).

I love the implications of the premise. It's fun to imagine the aliens ripping through a rambunctious kindergarten or tearing up a snoring couple - there are so many elements of suggestion that allow you to fill out the previous events and it makes the film's world feel pretty successfully rounded.

spincube posted:

I probably missed something, but I'm also a little confused as to what the daughter-father argument was about, with the 'it never works' thing. Sensitivity maybe?

He's trying to force her to be something she isn't, which I thought was a really good piece of true-feeling character development as those kinds of splits between hearing parents and deaf children are very real. See also his insistence on teaching his son how to fish, rather than let his obviously capable (and older!) daughter help out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Yaws posted:

You're literally the only person I've seen bring this up. You already got shot down in the horror thread for it.

No, I thought about that while I was watching it as well - the earlier scene where she gets upset with him for making her try another one really struck me because that kind of thing happens in families with hearing parents and deaf kids, which I thought was kind of neat (see also the frizzy hair subplot in Wrinkle in Time). But then it turns out to be the aid that saves the day, rather than whatever abilities she has as an individual, which felt kind of odd - it'd be a little like if Dinah saved the day at the end of Langoliers by putting her sunglasses on Mr Toomey. I don't know if there would or will be a wave of retaliation from the deaf community but Lord of Booty isn't pulling that observation out of their...booty.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Did you all hit your heads before logging on today?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Ah, that's better.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
a quiet place x that video of that judge whipping his cerebral-palsy-having daughter with a belt

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Do I even want to know?

He beat his daughter for downloading music and was temporarily suspended, before being reinstated with the limitation of not being able to preside over domestic abuse cases (lol), and later lost a re-election with, like, 46% of the vote because this all happened in Texas. It's actually kind of a fascinating story - the daughter secretly hid a video camera because, being a well-respected judge, she had no other recourse (her AMA is pretty engaging) and anonymously uploaded the video to Reddit. Much in like A Quiet Place, technology saves the day!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Matinee posted:

I'm glad it's doing well at the box office, and we need more films like it. I just hope the studios take the above qualities to heart and not "we need more horror movies set on a farm!"

The studio algorithm will pick up on "horror films + farms", "horror films + sitcom actors", and "movies with sound".

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I like how so much of the discussion around this movie is "how dare they have a child!"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
a tactical place

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
the theater is dead quiet except for the sound of goons furiously scribbling calculations in the dark

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
no it's not

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
me reading this thread

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

TheKevman posted:

It's a massive portion of the plot? I mean, its impact is widespread throughout and it influences the entire movie dramatically.

If the only support of the couple having another kid you can muster is "people gonna gently caress!" then that's pretty telling.

It's a movie about literalizing the fears of childrearing and the tenacity of continuing life - you might as well ask why Winnie doesn't just shoot herself in Happy Days.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
all masculinity and no verbalization makes jack a dull boy

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
This movie had trees in it. There was a scene with corn. It ran narratively from beginning to end with only a couple minor temporal hiccups that could be regarded as dream sequences or dramatized memory. One of the actors that is in it was in The Office, and one of the actors is his real-life wife. To make an omelette, begin by assembling your ingredients. Eggs are important. You must heat the pan, and use butter, oil, or some kind of lubricant. Apply the eggs and add your fillings. A good omelette should be folded neatly, but at home you can eat it any way you like. A good omelette looks like a taco. Perhaps you could try a pizza, or a hamburger. Have you considered a hamburger-shaped omelette? Test the boundaries of your imagination. This movie also had a scene with lots of water. 10/10 equals 1.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

china bot posted:

I do believe that you should be able to like a thing and also judge it critically, but that's a big part of why my film degree is useless :suicide:

Why?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Philip Larkin's "This Be The Verse" is a good touchstone for the movie's themes. See also The Shining and any movie in which fear of the potential cruelty and terror of parenthood is personified in something visibly evil. The hearing monsters aren't an "unknowable other" - they know what sets them off because, when you're a parent, you know what sets you off and what set your own parents off and you're terrified of letting that awful you out and doing the damage to your kids your parents did to yourself.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I think one of the newspapers talked about a meteor strike in New Mexico or something, and of course there was the New York Post "IT'S SOUND!" headline, and other newspaper headlines ("angels of death") suggest that it's, at the very least, a national emergency.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The prequel should just be a sequence of loud events being interrupted by aliens on the first day of the invasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I can see it now: they roll the LRAD truck out and try desperately to start it as quietly as possible, but are rendered to bony hairy pulp before they can even turn it on.

edit: they should make a prequel set in Guantanamo Bay

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 6, 2018