Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't think they're supposed to be related but the creature design is pretty close.

They're not, the producers actually said they were worried about the movie getting roped into it when they pitched it to the studio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I read an interesting take that the movie really does a good job of trading on some of a parents worst fears. Namely removing the safety net of a child( and the father) learning from their mistakes. I mean the actor that played the son does a great job portraying someone terrified of the world and everything in it, which makes the hunting scenes all the more powerful.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

bushisms.txt posted:

What are the others?

Blue Thunder, Last Tango in Paris and Snow Dogs.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zoracle Zed posted:

One thing about the movie I was unsure of was the signal fire stuff. There's one scene early on in the movie where John Krasinski lights a signal fire and dozens of other fires light up in response. Later on in the movie the children also light a fire but nobody responds--does this suggest that everyone else has fallen victim to the monsters, and this is the last family left?

it was much later in the night, so the other people probably weren't manning their signal tower. They weren't signaling for help, they were lighting up a sign for their dad to find them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
He doesn’t want her down there because it’s a collection of active electronics and other things. It’s dangerous enough down there for the family if you know what you’re doing and is exponentially more dangerous if you accidentally bump into something that makes noise and don’t realize it because you’re deaf.