Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Another way of looking at it is that she's taking the implant out of her ear and then using it to attack the Achilles heal of the monsters, which is hearing real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
As MHB points out, the film very overtly incorporates anxieties about technological utopianism and ableism into the basic dynamic between father and daughter. Saying, "Ah, but it turns out the cochlear implant is actually useful, therefore there's something nefariously ableist here that's gonna make differently abled activists angry" doesn't actually conform to the text. We are told (predominately by Regan) and shown that the implant doesn't functionally work, or achieve its intended purpose. There's even this wonderfully nuanced scene after Lee and Marcus have already left where Regan actually tries to give the new implant a chance, but then cries when she realizes she was right, it doesn't work. It's precisely because the implant doesn't work that the monsters then become disoriented, Regan isn't even conscious that it's on when one of the aliens is first sneaking up behind her. It only achieves functionality by being broken.

The implant specifically represents this defunct solution to the crisis of 'disability' that is framed as part of Lee and Evelyn's mutual fantasy of protecting their children, specifically their daughter. This isn't just a motif of ableism, it's also intrinsically patriarchal and sexist, reflected in Lee's insistence upon taking Marcus fishing. The two of them may rationalize to themselves that the reason they are doing this is because Regan is already older and more mature, but we in the audience can naturally observe the obvious, naturalist symbolic fantasy here, where Lee is the new Western father clinging to traditional constructions of gender and ability essentialism even in the midst of apocalypse. Sure, the film doesn't condemn Lee for this, but why should it? The narrative does perfectly fine on its own in sacrificing Lee and then subverting his patriarchal impotency by basically having Regan hack his electronic workshop and make it into the super-weapon he didn't even know he was sitting at for two years. The film narrative straightforwardly invokes the necessity of not only replacing patriarchal norms, but also ability norms, of incorporating differently abled perspectives in order to ensure survival.

So when it comes down to it, the problem is not actually the presentation of different abled people and their place in the world. A Quiet Place is very consciously, and patronizingly liberal-progressive - not a rejection of, but the obverse of a fundamentally reactionary narrative of a white, middle-class American nuclear family defending itself against an unambiguously predatory other.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
double feature idea:

Mr. Holland's Opus x A Quiet Place

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

china bot posted:

A Quiet Place x The Seventh Continent

Now we're goin' places.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's a good one, I like that.

I do like yours, too, though.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

a quiet place x that video of that judge whipping his cerebral-palsy-having daughter with a belt

gently caress me, mate...

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Cloverfield is dope.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

LloydDobler posted:

I got the impression that the kill shot was only effective because of the creature opening up its face armor while it freaked out about the noise. I'm probably wrong about that though.

Nah, that's explicitly what happens.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
"Why not simply abstain? It's the smartest possible option!" - a rhetoric that has totally worked always forever

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Max22 posted:

This was made with Michael Bay’s money, if there’s a hidden subtext it probably isn’t “the patriarch protecting his good American nuclear family from foreign invaders is secretly evil”

No, that's absolutely consistent with Michael Bay's filmography.

edit:

"Protect my family, or I'll kill you..."

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
People gently caress, it happens.

edit:

No, I swear, I've seen footage.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Nah but, see, if Emily blunt was my wife, I would never gently caress her

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Hell, that’s probably how they got into this mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Whalley posted:

Yeah the pregnancy in and of itself is fine - especially if they're career farmers, which who goddamn knows if they are or if they bought a preexisting farm as a midlife crisis thing or if they escaped to a farm after the events happened or if it's a family farm that they ran back to because who cares who these people are, right? I get it; you're surviving, survival isn't just making it through individual roadblocks but having a long term goal of you and yours continued existence. It's that they never loving acted like they were prepared for the birthing procedure, just for where to stuff the lil thing when it squirts on out.

There is no "procedure." That's not how birth works. The child will come when it comes. Otherwise, you are completely at the fortune of your material privilege and your proximity to help, the absence of which is what the filmmakers are exploiting in order to create tension.