Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Great monster movie. You can see the influence of movies like Alien/Jurassic Park and it's done really well - the creature design is scary as heck, the jump scares are potent without being cheesy, and the writing never gets hammy or over expository. Similar to Alien/Predator/etc the writing lets you explore this world without explaining every detail, leaving a lot to the imagination. Good pacing, good family dynamic, and some truly memorable scenes (the ending shot and that loving nail scene jesus christ). I would definitely recommend seeing this in a theater because the whole audience daring to make any sound adds to the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
One thing though: don't cochlear implants require surgery to work?

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Agreed his performance stood out in a couple scenes. He looked loving terrified and I dont know many adult actors that can emulate fear that well

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Detective No. 27 posted:

I also got Signs vibes from the movie.
The settings are superficially similar, rural area + aliens, but thats where the similarity ends imo

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Movie good but nitpick time

How do the aliens move so drat fast, like you can drop a plate and they're on you within minutes. They snatched that boy up in seconds
I get that they're fast but thats unreasonably fast. Is there just a million of them everywhere?

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
I like that the movie is sparse in its exposition because otherwise things get nitpicked to death by NERDS. Have the aliens taken over the world? We don't know, but we do know they've effectively taken over this part of the world where the movie takes place. It's not hard to imagine that there's an active military resistance protecting more populated areas with high walls and sonic-based rifles. Or maybe a libertarian boat-city because I doubt these things can traverse the ocean. Maybe Australia is just fine for that reason.

When they don't tell you everything you can fill in the blanks. Hell, you can make your own head movie

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Nitpicking the central gimmick of a creature feature is goony as gently caress. Tension, effective scares, and how the cast responds emotionally to the situation is what makes these kind of movies compelling. Granted this one's gimmick is a little sloppier than Jaws, Tremors, or Alien but it's tense as hell and the performances are solid. The monster has a great visual design and there's poignant scenes that will be remembered (nail, corn, ending) so if you like monster movies this is definitely one to see.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Dude how could anyone not like Fury Road

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Just because its a monster movie doesnt insulate it from criticism but I think you have to get on board with IT'S SOUND! to talk about the other merits (or lack of merits) the movie has. Or not, and dismiss the whole thing as stupid which is a valid opinion but one that I think is lame.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Turn on an industrial sized giant wood-chipper

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Sure, the writing is hardly bulletproof but there are actual blind animals who hunt by sound and you don't hear about bats flying into car shredders in droves.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I was actually under the impression that, while that specific thing doesn't happen often, bats getting killed by industrial or mechanical hazards is a huge problem to the point where several species are endangered because of it
Well now dont I look dumb

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
It's not just sound through right, it's echolocation. They use sound to build a Daredevil style view of their environment. So no they won't attack alarm clocks, thatls why the creatures emit a high-frequency sonar pulse that the hearing aid can amplify, and that's why standing still can be a somewhat effective defense since echolocation is greatly aided by movement. They might hear your heartbeat but if you're completely still they have trouble picking you out from the wall you're standing against.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
It's a great feat of visual storytelling since without dialogue every scene has to be load bearing. The performances and tension are spot on, and the themes explored by having a deaf person in a world where sound kills is interesting and empowering. Haranguing details about the plot is the most boring kind of criticism god drat like why didn't Thanos just make everybody have infinite resources with the infinity glove

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
well they don't call him "The Reasonable Titan" now do they