Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Srice posted:

[I remember listening to an interview with the guy who got to translate a lot of Kitaro and he had to jump through a lot of hoops just to merely get the license because the creator was incredibly strict about how the property was handled.

IIRC he was literally quizzed on Kitaro and if he failed he wouldn't get the license. Dude played a hard game...

Zack Davisson (probably the same guy you are talking about) was at Sakuracon a few years back and did a great panel on an introduction to yokai as told through Mizuki's stories. He did the English translation for the Kitaro manga and the Showa series. He has a good (but no longer updated) blog on various yokai myths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

so did yuyu hakusho jack the spirit gun from gegege no kitaro?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Kitarowns. I like how they basically made Nekomusume the Wolverine to Kitaro’s Cyclops. You know, the cool, slightly edgy one with the creepy-but-badass powers who gets the sicknasty fight scenes and endearing character moments while their leader is going all in on the stoic, dutiful heroism.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its a good show where a good portion of an episode is about ripping peoples souls through their anuses

this includes walls and sentient pieces of papers

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Condiv posted:

so did yuyu hakusho jack the spirit gun from gegege no kitaro?

Absolutely

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Compared to a lot of Toei projects it's crazy how good this show looks from week to week

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Simple character designs help a lot.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Dunno, Ratman and Kitaro aside they're fairly complex designs. Many small details.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

they need to kick ratman's rear end

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Is Nezumi-Otoko usually this bad? Because I’ve seen on various wikis that he’s sometimes an ally for Kitaro and the gang, and that just seems unfathomable for Mr. Terrible Decisions For Terrible Reasons All The Time.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Is Nezumi-Otoko usually this bad? Because I’ve seen on various wikis that he’s sometimes an ally for Kitaro and the gang, and that just seems unfathomable for Mr. Terrible Decisions For Terrible Reasons All The Time.

This is definitely more in line with his original incarnation where he would do anything as long as he profited somehow. Also he was based off of a manga publisher that Mizuki worked for iirc

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Holy poo poo, this episode. De Beers making blood diamonds a whole lot more literal was quite something even for this show.

And that final punchline was amazing.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ratman sure is the worst in every possible way, huh

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
This show really gives kids a lot of credit with some of these plots, I like it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Ratman sure is the worst in every possible way, huh

Not as bad as DeBeers though

I mean Ratman is totally okay with murdering rich greedy people for money but he *does* draw the line at poor children...

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 25, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

we finally discovered satoshi nakamoto's true identity

his teeth are nearly as long as rumored

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Some context folks might miss about the newest episode: this is the 50th anniversary series, and they have the voice actress for the original Kitaro playing Kitaro's dad, so it seems like they based the human form of Kitaro's dad on Kitaro himself, especially the original version from the manga where he had silver hair.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Something funny, Kitaro got in the top five on a monthly poll of a woman's magazine:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I hadn't heard about Kitaro at all before watching this show and now I'm watching Hakaba Kitaro and I've got manga volumes on a wish list. The good poo poo.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Something funny, Kitaro got in the top five on a monthly poll of a woman's magazine:

Funnily enough, 2 of the girls in that list have or have had kitaro hair.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This week had an interesting take on corrective plastic surgery. I kinda liked it, especially the way it called out the dude’s saviour complex.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kitaro is cute but cool and aloof while usually wanting what's best for people, so I'm not surprised hes a bit popular.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Justin_Brett posted:

I just noticed that Nyanko-sensei made it but Natsume didn't lol

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Last episode had a pretty dark ending for a kid’s show. A good one, but dark still

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Condiv posted:

Last episode had a pretty dark ending for a kid’s show. A good one, but dark still

I think the final shot made it feel a little positive - she was happy and defiant after getting to live a life where everyone she met didn’t flinch from her in disgust and after telling the jerk with a saviour-complex to gently caress off. Felt like a reminder that looking good can be about you feeling good in yourself, not about your need to impress some dude. I think that if they’d wanted to frame it more as the wrong choice, she wouldn’t have looked nearly so comfortable in herself.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Darth Walrus posted:

I think the final shot made it feel a little positive - she was happy and defiant after getting to live a life where everyone she met didn’t flinch from her in disgust and after telling the jerk with a saviour-complex to gently caress off. Felt like a reminder that looking good can be about you feeling good in yourself, not about your need to impress some dude. I think that if they’d wanted to frame it more as the wrong choice, she wouldn’t have looked nearly so comfortable in herself.

Oh it’s certainly positive for her, but it’s a darker outcome than usual. The usual ending would be her learning to love what she has and give up on striving for more. What she chose instead is more realistic and possibly better for her in the end, but at the same time more uncertain of a direction for her character.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Condiv posted:

Oh it’s certainly positive for her, but it’s a darker outcome than usual. The usual ending would be her learning to love what she has and give up on striving for more. What she chose instead is more realistic and possibly better for her in the end, but at the same time more uncertain of a direction for her character.

That said, I think that this episode was openly questioning whether that standard previous outcome really was the best one, and whether it’s OK to ask for more. I wouldn’t call it darker, precisely, just more thoughtful and open-ended.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is no one watching this show? It's been real good so far.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I am!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Welcome to the good taste having club

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pollyanna posted:

Is no one watching this show? It's been real good so far.

I watched most of it but thought it was getting stale and repetitive, and then they had an episode that opens with two landlords going "oh we'll treat our tenants just like family", my eyes rolled so hard they popped out of their sockets, and then I stopped watching because it's hard to watch anime with no eyes.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

well, ur wrong

it's a nice show for children

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
being for children isn't an excuse for unimaginative storytelling or having a primary message of "everything would be fine if people just had more respect for tradition"

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Fangz posted:

well, ur wrong

it's a nice show for children

Is Nanashi in the episode? Then it's going to be good/loving insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Backbeard next episode :woop:

• Locked thread