Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Last night, we got the Acura buttoned back up again and it runs and moves.

I just wanted this crap done, so there are no pictures of what we did, except for this one I inexplicably took of the new clutch slave cylinder.

We did have one scary moment where the car seemed completely dead, but it turns out that the ground battery terminal had come loose from the body during all of our ham-handery. It took us an embarrassingly long time to circle around to testing that, because the actual cable buzzed out on the continuity tester. :v:

Part of that is probably because I took the excuse to start pulling out the previous owner's wiring and OH BOY OBERTO do we ever have a good post coming up for that. My back and neck already hurt.

But where is bumper???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm still laughing that everyone made fun of me for asking if it was the ground when you drat well know that because I asked that would be the problem. :haw:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Elmnt80 posted:

I'm still laughing that everyone made fun of me for asking if it was the ground when you drat well know that because I asked that would be the problem. :haw:

I'm still mad at you, but in my defence the ground cable was good!

It just wasn't attached.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

It absolutely was attached, very well. It just was attached by corrosion and poorly conducting salts.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Ok so at least two attendees this year have to be back early due to poor planning or lovely bosses so it is increasingly likely that we need to alter the route in order to be back in time.

I still think we should do the Columbia icefields highway and over to prince George. After that I guess we could head south to Kamloops and then back over the mountains on the #1.

If we have time, I'd like to hit Burns lake, my grandpa used to work there in the 50s and talks about it all the time, would be nice to show him that I've been there. I'm not sure how far that is out of our way, but I'll figure out of we can manage or not.

E:. Burns is a five hour round trip out of Prince George. Doable, but it's a big time dent. I'm not hell bent on getting there but it would be nice if we can swing it.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 27, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's me, I'm the bad plannist. We can always go to Burns Lake later in the summer. I suspect if we did a straight shot it would be a lot faster than the icefields.

e: lol no there is no straight shot.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 27, 2018

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah that literally is the fastest route. Unfortunately.

We could do my place-> Burns, stay the night, then -> revelstoke -> home. Leaving Friday morning from my place this would work. But that's a marathon of driving. The cars would all have to run perfectly, and what are the chances of that?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Slung Blade posted:

Yeah that literally is the fastest route. Unfortunately.

We could do my place-> Burns, stay the night, then -> revelstoke -> home. Leaving Friday morning from my place this would work. But that's a marathon of driving. The cars would all have to run perfectly, and what are the chances of that?

well, the BMW is healthy as a horse now and should accomplish anything we do without issue. I even ran out of things to fix and started doing bodywork, you guys are gonna love the new look!

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 29, 2018

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

So which days are our time constraints here? I think I missed (or forgot) part of that conversation and I've got to revise my time-off booking soon lest I get stuck with a bunch of pointless days off.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 30, 2018

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I'm hoping to leave Friday morning, and mctinkerson had to be back Sunday night.

So, leave on the 8th, back on the 10th. I'm taking that Monday off as a recovery day.

I'd be up for another trip to the Reynold's museum after we part ways with mcT if you guys like.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

So with the major mechanical problems sorted (hopefully) I wanted to deal with some of the more cosmetic poo poo.

Like this giant dent in the hood.

And this formerly rusty bit.

Grinding off the paint, I applied my new stud welder.

I was a little overzealous with the slide hammer and this one popped out, but it helped pull the dent out a bit.

Primer.

Paint.

Not looking too terrible. Not bad for a couple afternoons' worth of effort, anyway.

Except for this part that I missed under the masking. God. Damnit. :argh:

Assembled the grille and put it on the car.

The metal on the front fender is rusted to the point where I can poke through it with a screw driver. So it's trash. When Seat and I bought the transmission, we also picked up a fender. Shame it's the wrong colour.

Ground off the white pearl paint.

That ain't too bad.

It's a decent 15-20 footer now. Still low spots in the paint, and it needs to be polished / wet sanded, but there are more spots that need attention. I have not yet mounted the new fender either, we'll do that when we get home probably.

It's sure nice to be able to drive it again.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Due to unforeseen circumstances it appears that McTinkerson will not be joining us :smith:

New plan is to leave friday morning and head up the icefields highway and into BC. Instead of running the death slog to Prince George, we will instead head south earlier, towards Clearwater BC.

https://goo.gl/maps/wYhvWVTerL52

Eventual goal is Radium BC, but it will probably take until saturday to get there over this route.

After that, anything goes. We could swing south to come back via the crowsnest pass, or just hang out in the Invermere trench and take it easy for a fuckin change.

I know I could use a break.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

So instead of a rally, this is now a road trip.

Numbers matching joined seat and myself in the Acura. It's a little tight with all the gear, but still fairly comfortable. I drove today's route from Calgary to Kamloops via valemount. Acura remains comfortable and I do not feel fatigue from driving which I don't think I've ever experienced over a distance like that before.

We stopped in Clearwater for dinner at a local bbq place, the brisket was excellent. After that, the rain set in and darkness fell. We rolled into Kamloops under the guiding light of George, so dubbed by seat, a trucker completely oblivious to the near zero visibility on the freshly paved and therefore nearly completely unmarked highway covered in rain.

Dark George be praised.

We are now relaxing in our hotel room and enjoying an introspective beer.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks, Dark George.

Thanks, Hack-ura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah that Acura ran like a champ all weekend. It even got really good economy.

I think it only took like 20 some litres to get back from radium, and that includes a trip back into town from my place.

Thanks for coming you guys, that was a fun way to spend a couple days.

• Locked thread