Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Slung Blade posted:

Shrugs Not Drugs - Current ride: UNDETERMINED

Not sure who that Shrugs guy is (he sounds like a jerk) but I'll be running my account's namesake. The Bavarian Murder Weapon/Rapp's Folly/The Green Bin.

For those of you who missed my posts in 8 different threads plus Slack, it's a $600 1977 320i which appears to have been assembled from at least 2 different cars. It's got at least the head and intake off an '81 M10B18, it may be a 1.8 or a 2.0, who knows. 4 speed manual with dogleg 1st, it has the '77-only vented front discs but it also has the '81+ rear suspension, the entire electrical system has been scotchlok'd and twist-n-taped together out of a pile of work hardened, green-death-sick 40 year old wire and quite a bit of it has been on fire or at least very melty and charred, the rocker panels were made entirely of the factory undercoating which was tough enough to simulate steel while poking it with a screwdriver in the -37c I did my pre-purchase inspection in but has since mostly fallen off (the subframes and strut towers are still okay, I will be making subframe connectors to get the floor back to the point of providing adequate structure), the CIS Injection system was horribly hamfucked, it hasn't been registered since Gerhard Schröder was Chancellor and it's got a bunch of Volkswagen parts in various places.

After performing some dark rituals and sacrificing a few animals and a Solex to Satan, this happened:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XYQNan1e7w

I broke the focus on my phone camera so pictures are going to be sparse from the above point on. I'm working on getting my tractor blower fan mounted and the wiper transmission secured at the moment, which is pretty boring. The rest of the electrical is next, and should be fun.

Unfortunately, I will be running solo this year as Mr. Mustang is simply unable to get more than about four days in a row off work, his employer's PTO policies are less than spectacular.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Tractor blower installed. This took an embarrassing amount of time to finish actually, but it was still the simplest/cheapest/easiest solution available short of hogging a bunch of metal out and putting a single cage blower in it.

So the shifter is so goddamn sloppy it feels like there's an extra gate in there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH0M-Bert9w
Drop driveshaft, there's 3 joints in the linkage. 2 10mm horizontal pins, one 6mm vertical. Most of the play is in the horizontal pins, but the vertical one is visibly hosed to the point where its bores are closer to 1/4". So, I drilled all its holes the rest of the way up and stuck a 1/4" gr8 bolt in there.

And the 10mm links got some gently caress me I had some legit shim stock but I haven't seen it in like 5 years pop can shims:

The rear link to the bottom of the stick was way worse than the forward one, the latter being a perfect fit after a single wrap and the former still having some play after 2.5 wraps (once you get to 1.5 wraps it gets really loving difficult to put together without wrecking the shim, since it's got so much more drag than compressive strength)
Result: no more phantom gate, and that sweet, sweet Getrag shifter feel is mostly back. Still a little sloppy but whatever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDwKzwo3A3s

And a new giubo went in because even a URO Part is better than one that's visibly putting all of its insides outside.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 17, 2018

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

^buy a shitbox and join us?

I decided last night I'm going to replace the old corroded lovely ceramic VW fuses with new (horrifyingly overpriced) lovely ceramic VW fuses, replace the poo poo switches and replace the scotchlok'd burned out bodge wires with adequately sized and properly spliced bodge wires. I'd love to fix it properly but there's just not enough time for a major harness overhaul/fusebox replacement, at least without hamfucking it worse than it already is. I'll bring a big fire extinguisher and put a killswitch in it to mitigate any further :piss:.
It does seem to be behaving much better with new fuses in there and the fuel pump on its own dedicated circuit, at least.

Anybody got a good trick for cleaning out crusty old 1156 sockets?

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 20, 2018

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

What's the shifter pattern on this box? Just trying to visualize linkage here.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

Can you get a multimeter on the lockout solenoid and see if it's active/even functioning? Probably worth giving a shot before taking the whole thing out.

we did confirm solenoid function. All it does is alternately block the shifter from entering reverse or 6th, and it's definitely still doing that.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Slung Blade posted:

Yeah that literally is the fastest route. Unfortunately.

We could do my place-> Burns, stay the night, then -> revelstoke -> home. Leaving Friday morning from my place this would work. But that's a marathon of driving. The cars would all have to run perfectly, and what are the chances of that?

well, the BMW is healthy as a horse now and should accomplish anything we do without issue. I even ran out of things to fix and started doing bodywork, you guys are gonna love the new look!

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

So which days are our time constraints here? I think I missed (or forgot) part of that conversation and I've got to revise my time-off booking soon lest I get stuck with a bunch of pointless days off.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 30, 2018

• Locked thread